Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: More practice on the range [Re: cmorsch] #3210348 05/07/12 10:34 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: cmorsch
Well I guess its time to paint a target on my back...

While I agree that people should be able to make accurate shots on animals, I do not agree with guides and outfitters making a person shoot at the range to verify this. Doing so only adds wear to ones equiptment, and adds to the over all costs of a hunt. While I do think that verifing your zero is a good idea you simply can not force people to do something they do not want to. I know if I arrived somewhere and was told when I got there that I would not be allowed to leave camp without proving I could shoot, unless this was disclosed I would leave and ask for a full refund, or charge them the cost of any ammo and also for unwanted wear of my equiptment.

The ability to make a accurate shot in the end lies on the shoulders of the hunter, NOT the guide or outfitter, and they should not have the right to set certain standards for someone to be able to go hunting. If you make a bad shot and wound a animal or a great shot either way its still your animal. In the end it doesnt matter either way really.
my turn ta take the heat: am not a guide, nor ever been on a guided hunt.. twice have hit deer & not recovered them.. both times did every thing i could ta find the deer.. the next day instead of going & sitting on stand.. spent that time looking for deer had hit day before..

i'm postaddic
Re: More practice on the range [Re: texfork] #3211382 05/08/12 01:21 PM
T
TheCracker Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
some people are decent shots until the animal comes out. I know ha guy who missed a deer at 30 yards with a scoped 7mm mag that can shoot 1" groups at 100 yards consistently. WE went an tested his rifle at 25 yards and he was drilling about 1/2" low as expected.

Im just saying that some people choke under pressure

Re: More practice on the range [Re: TheCracker] #3211715 05/08/12 03:50 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: TheCracker
some people are decent shots until the animal comes out. I know ha guy who missed a deer at 30 yards with a scoped 7mm mag that can shoot 1" groups at 100 yards consistently. WE went an tested his rifle at 25 yards and he was drilling about 1/2" low as expected.

Im just saying that some people choke under pressure

"The Human Factor". I was shooting a 3D tournament once and nailed the 10 ring on a quartering Antelope standing in an open field at 50 yards and at the next station completely missed a Javelina standing in the woods at 17 yards. Go figure. To make it even more odd, I had a local television camera guy with his lense almost resting on my left shoulder when I made the Antelope shot (talk about not wanting to miss!!). Nobody but my group around when I missed the Javelina.

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: More practice on the range [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #3211744 05/08/12 04:02 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
IMO, it's the familiarity and overall "comfort" that you achieve with your firearm through frequent practice that often calms the nerves when that nice buck walks out on you. And likewise, the act of reaching for a gun that's seldom fired can produce the opposite effect.

As someone once put it, your body should go through motions in shouldering your rifle and taking aim with almost no thought behind it. Raising a rifle and taking aim should create about as much nervousness as what it takes to sit on a toilet and do your business.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: More practice on the range [Re: cmorsch] #3211898 05/08/12 05:03 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: cmorsch
I just feel that if verifing your zero is something that needs to be done it should be disclosed at the time of booking cause not every gun is a dollar a shot (ie weatherby mags). That being said I have never hunted with a outfitter besides a upland bird hunt. And if and when I do go on a guided rifle hunt, I know I would check my zero cause the weather and travel may of knocked it off. And I mostly bow hunt where I have found that you have to practice alot to be able to maintain good groups.

Verification should be expected not negotiated in the contract.

Three things for you to think about......
1)If 2 or 3 dollars is going to break you on a multi thousand or a multi hundred dollar hunt then you have bigger problems.
2) If you are worried about the added wear of 2 or 3 shots, then that tells me you need to become more intamate with your firearm other then just taking it out of the box and hunting with it.
3) If you are using a custom built firearm and you have not already put a couple hundred bucks in ammo through it, that tells me you could care less about the animal and just want other people to think you are something you are not.

Any ethical hunter would gladly show they are worthy of being on someone elses property by putting a shot or two downrange.
If a couple bucks worth of ammo breaks your deal on a hunt, then find another hobby....

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: More practice on the range [Re: Texan Til I Die] #3212592 05/08/12 10:44 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die
And then there's the people who can shoot lights out at the range, but put a trophy animal in front of them and they fall to pieces. I think nerves cause more misses and poor hits than anything else.

This is me. I missed a buck a couple of years ago at 20yds hunting from my bow stand with a known accurate rifle.

Re: More practice on the range [Re: wp75169] #3212720 05/08/12 11:49 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Of course there's also those that were never properly taught to shoot accurately. Practice won't do much good if you're using poor form to begin with.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: More practice on the range [Re: LandPirate] #3212741 05/09/12 12:00 AM
D
deerfeeder Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
D
We got to the point where we had everyone check their zero before we took them out to hunt. This was after numerous wounded deer that weren't recoverable or people saying they knew they missed that deer until we recovered it for them and it had shrunk on them.

Even returning hunters that we knew could shoot. It just was better for everyone all the way around because even though the guy might have gone to the range before he left, quite often after a miss, we'd find out his rifle was off.

Just makes good ethical and financial sense.

Re: More practice on the range [Re: deerfeeder] #3212778 05/09/12 12:21 AM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
I agree with Deerfeeder.

Also, I've seen hunters that were good shots, with a dead-on rifle that due to their own inexperience or lack of knowledge of deer anatomy, made poor shots.

If a guide says "shoot behind the shoulder" he's referring to a specific spot directly behind the shoulder. There's a lot of deer behind the shoulder and not but small bit of it is in the kill zone.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide