Forums46
Topics538,344
Posts9,736,049
Members87,082
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: jeepthing] #3186569 04/26/12 07:34 PM
K
Kyle Campbell Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
Originally Posted By: jeepthing
I would not and am not for it and here's why. I think it will close more doors for us than it'll open. I carry everyday and nobody is the wiser. I think though you'll see a lot more signs go up in windows not allowing any kind of carry in their business. A lot of the businesses like restaurants and stores that I frequent now have no idea how many guns go through their place everyday. I'd rather not draw attention to that. You'll see a lot more owners get themselves "educated" on how to keep us out, and right now they're not.

I absolutely agree 100%. I am fine with open carry in itself. But, I don't want every public address to have a 30.06 sign on their doors.

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: Furb] #3186759 04/26/12 08:19 PM
J
ju993rnaut Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Furb

3. "No conveience store is ever robbed with an armed cop buying coffee"

not 100% true, but atleast 99.99%, there has got to be a world's dumbest criminal episode with this happenign out there, but it is not the Armed Cop that keeps it from getting robbed the majority of the time, its the COP CAR in the parking lot, you think the robber sees a cop car but goes in anyway thinking its a decoy. Most store robberies the gun is pulled when they enter, not looked around( atleast this is what I think).

Thaught of this, I know he's undercover/no uniform, but thaught of this when I read this part of your post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HsG2rJ0Bx8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited by ju993rnaut; 04/26/12 08:20 PM.

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: RiverRider] #3187450 04/26/12 11:51 PM
J
jeepthing Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
You make a valid point there, Jay. I still think I'd like to know more about how open carry works out in other jurisdictions, though.

Me too, I'm with ya. It'd be interesting to see some data and compare it to what we have here in Texas. Number of 30.06 signs before and after, and also crime data before and after.

Just to clarify too. I think I'd be ok with open carry if I could see data that blew holes in my theory. Like if there was no effect on 30.06 signs and likewise. I guess I'm just afraid that in gaining the one freedom to carry openly, I lose the right to carry anything in a handful of places I carry now. Like movie theater, mall, hardware store, convenience store, restaurants, etc . . . . . Wouldn't be worth the tradeoff then for me.

Last edited by jeepthing; 04/27/12 12:00 AM.

Jay "Jeepthing" Bush
Registered Architect
Bush Architects, LLC
Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: RiverRider] #3187699 04/27/12 01:36 AM
T
txhighcaliber Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
i agree with you 100%. well stated

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: wchamilton] #3188296 04/27/12 10:36 AM
D
Don Dial Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
It will never happen in Texas..wrong attitudes, too many folks still regard handguns as tools of criminals, ect..RE: Colorado..
My cousins and I hunted there near Meeker for yrs..had a guy from
Texas that ran around w/a Colorado Tully shooting and leaving deer all over section 21...he jumped me one day in Meeker in a Bar while wearing his snub nose 38...Seemed to think that it's was a protector, ect...I'd already been exposed to him and his Buds while hunting....Seems to give some folks a false sense of
security..I think I only would carry a handgun if paid..but I'm
a old whore..and like the bucks..DD

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: wchamilton] #3196065 05/01/12 10:07 AM
D
DSmith Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Criminals try to take guns from uniformed officers all the time, what makes you think they would see an normal person and not do the same thing? The number of violent/deadly attacks on Officers and the general public is increasing, dont think for a minute open carry would stop that

They that plow iniquity and sow wickedness shall REAP the same! Job 4:8

OHRAH! Its a Marine thing.

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: DSmith] #3196371 05/01/12 02:22 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: DSmith
Criminals try to take guns from uniformed officers all the time, what makes you think they would see an normal person and not do the same thing? The number of violent/deadly attacks on Officers and the general public is increasing, dont think for a minute open carry would stop that

For arguments sake, would a criminal try to take a gun from someone in line at a grocery store if you could see 4 other people close by that also had a gun on their hip?

"All the time" is stretching it a little far concerning how many times someone has tried to take a gun from uniformed officers...

As far as the violent/deadly attacks on Officers and the general public...increasing from when? Violent crimes has actually decreased the last couple of years in Texas

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: txshntr] #3197943 05/02/12 02:05 AM
D
DSmith Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I'm not talking about just texas, and crime rates may go down for general everyday BS, which by the way those number are not very accurate when you look at how different cities document and report crime rates, but the number of open ambush style attacks on officers and mass shootings are going up all over the country.

I wouldn't think it very smart to attempt to take a gun from 1 when 4 others are present in a crowded location but how good of a response would those 4 other people be able to make, are you going to take a shot at the perp with 2 people fighting over a gun in a grocery store? I would hope you wouldn't be dumb enough to try. Have you heard of the Lakewood officer shooting? 4 uniformed officers in a coffee shop all gunned downed by one man, would you have thought that possible? Same concept, it didn't help them and it wouldnt help you.

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: DSmith] #3198013 05/02/12 02:35 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
You are correct on the reporting per city, but some over report and some under report. You can find statistics to verify anything you want and you can find rare or extreme cases to back up a claim, but that does not mean that they are on the rise. There is an overwhelming amount of data that shows areas, counties, and countries with highly stringent gun laws see a noticeable increase in violent crime. The data that I have seen for open carry areas isn't as conclusive.

Take the Lakewood Officer shooting...tragic...but, if you were in that situation, would you have better odds with the guns or without? If 4 other people had guns, concealed or not, would the shooter still have been successful and to go a step farther, if 4 more guns were visible, would he have attempted it?

I think LP said it earlier, an open carried gun could make you a target. I agree, but also think that multiple open carried guns could be a deterrent.

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: txshntr] #3198036 05/02/12 02:44 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
I think a mentally ill person doesn't care about guns seen or not. That guy was just a crazy and he got 4. Hesitation got #3 and 4 killed.

I dont think open carry would stop anybody. It would just cause more problems.

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: Brother in-law] #3198048 05/02/12 02:49 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
I think a mentally ill person doesn't care about guns seen or not. That guy was just a crazy and he got 4. Hesitation got #3 and 4 killed.

I dont think open carry would stop anybody. It would just cause more problems.

You are probably right. I personally wouldn't carry open, just arguing to see the responses. Never thought real hard about open carry, so the sides of the argument are interesting. I find that if I pick a side to an argument that less people are on or others feel more strongly about, I learn more about the subject and better formulate an opinion cheers

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: Furb] #3198068 05/02/12 02:55 AM
B
bwk1975 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Furb
Personally no I would not open carry, prefer no body but me knowing what I have tucked in at 4 o'clock.

Now, lets forward think a few things that have been mentioned.

1. "I think it would be ok but there should be a license for it"

Ok, I can see this being a reality, but know think abouyt what all is involved, no not the getting the liscense part, the after the liscensed is issued part. To me, LEOs please comment on this, would be a nightmare for law enforcement. If you are suppose to have a license to open carry, that means that technically ever person an officer sees open carrying he has to stop and ask for proper identification, this also means that every time you as an open carrier sees an officer prepare to present said identiciation. I do not know about you guys but on average when I Conceal Carry, I see about 5-10 officers a day at the store, Gas Station, heck just anywhere.

Now, lets get even deeper into this asking for license (potential) problem. Anybody other than a White Male that gets ask will probably scream profiling, I do not think this needs further explianation.

2 "Paint a target on your back"

Well yeah you kinda would, if someone is going to rob a store and they bust in, see you with a gun on your hip I would agree you have a higher probability of being shot or atleast shot at.

3. "No conveience store is ever robbed with an armed cop buying coffee"

not 100% true, but atleast 99.99%, there has got to be a world's dumbest criminal episode with this happenign out there, but it is not the Armed Cop that keeps it from getting robbed the majority of the time, its the COP CAR in the parking lot, you think the robber sees a cop car but goes in anyway thinking its a decoy. Most store robberies the gun is pulled when they enter, not looked around( atleast this is what I think).

4. "Open carry would reduced the number of places I can Conceal Carry"

100% agree, not sure to the level that it would, but there are some places that would make sure they had proper signage to restrict both open and conceal carry.

5. "open carry would allow every Tom, Dick, and Harry to have one"

Not sure on this one, kinda feel like the whole now that supressors are legal poaching will increase theroy. Just do not think it would happen as much some/we think it would.

6. "people will freak out"

As sure as teh sun rises, can not please everyone, but doubt mass crazyness.

Anyway, just thoughts on the subject not meant to attack anyone person or persons' views.

I had some of these same thoughts myself. Question #1 being what i was thinking the most.

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: txshntr] #3198086 05/02/12 03:01 AM
D
DSmith Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I can see your point, unfortunately there isn't any way of knowing what coulve been in that situation. I would think if he attempted it with the four officers already he knew there then he still probably would've tryed regardless. Which is my point, no amount of potential threat is going to stop those who are set on committing those kinds of acts. All it does is make more targets.

Obviously they were better off having the ability to defend themselves with the guns already at hand. But I think in this case and many others you can see how having the guns visible isn't a deterent, those that are capable of commiting actions like that aren't concerned with it, because of stupidity or just insanity.

If you are going to carry open would you make a point of purchasing a bullet resistant vest? To me it would make sense. It adds a level of extra protection.

Well regardless, I'll carry concealed either way.

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: dlrz71] #3200080 05/03/12 01:54 AM
M
moneymaker Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
It could cause a uproar.. if no safety steps were put in place. The state of Texas puts up info on t.v.,billboards,etc.. like. Texting and driving,click it,ticket,Amber alerts...they could do the samee for a open Carry law. Keep the public informed.
As for me open carry would be nice. I would have a choice .

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: J.G.] #3200100 05/03/12 02:03 AM
1FowlHntR Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
CHL holders allowed to open carry, not just any 21+ year old.

OMG you walk into Lowes and see someone shopping with a 5" 1911 in a holster on a belt!

So what. It will become the norm. Bet violent crimes in Texas will again fall, at least some, if this freedom with firearms is allowed.

Carry concealed if you like. I will carry concealed some of the time and carry open some of the time. What's wrong with the option?
I'm with FiremanJG on this one, I think it should be my option how I carry my weapon when I go out....

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: 1FowlHntR] #3200406 05/03/12 05:04 AM
D
devildog28 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Who gives a crap what "issues" it may cause. You people are talking like you're resigned to letting others dictate just what rights you have. Pathetic.

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: devildog28] #3201354 05/03/12 05:57 PM
J
Jasb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: devildog28
Who gives a crap what "issues" it may cause. You people are talking like you're resigned to letting others dictate just what rights you have. Pathetic.
And you dont? Please tell us how you for one have not let anyone dictate your rights?

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: Jasb] #3202780 05/04/12 11:00 AM
D
devildog28 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Voting, writing congressmen, speaking with acquatances among other things. I'm not stupid enough to OC at this time, but I sure don't have the attitude of seeing what rights as a law abiding citizen I'm going to be allowed. This whole CHL thing where I have to pay for a license and take a test is such BS. Anyone who hasn't been deemed mentally incompetent should be able to carry as they feel. I saw someone open carrying a pistol not too long ago. Did I call the cops? Nope, and I'm damn proud of it!

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: devildog28] #3203455 05/04/12 04:27 PM
R
robbf213 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I'm of the opinion that there are too many people out there too stupid to drive a car, or reproduce, much less carry a gun with no restrictions.

I deal with armed people almost everyday and at least the ones carrying legally have had to at least pass a (very) basic shooting test and have had some instruction on what is legally permissible regarding using the gun.

Just letting anyone who wants to carry strap it on and go for it is stupid. Most people have no idea on the laws of the use of force, should they be just be able to figure it out on their own? I don't want to be anywhere near them if they ever have to use it, I would rather not get shot or have to shoot them.

Also I don't want some crack dealing gangster wanna be named June Bug able to carry just because he has not been deemed mentally incompetent.

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: robbf213] #3204498 05/05/12 01:31 AM
G
Growin Wild Outdoors Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: robbf213
I'm of the opinion that there are too many people out there too stupid to drive a car, or reproduce, much less carry a gun with no restrictions.

I deal with armed people almost everyday and at least the ones carrying legally have had to at least pass a (very) basic shooting test and have had some instruction on what is legally permissible regarding using the gun.

Just letting anyone who wants to carry strap it on and go for it is stupid. Most people have no idea on the laws of the use of force, should they be just be able to figure it out on their own? I don't want to be anywhere near them if they ever have to use it, I would rather not get shot or have to shoot them.

Also I don't want some crack dealing gangster wanna be named June Bug able to carry just because he has not been deemed mentally incompetent.

Haha Guess what that crack head named june bug is already carrying because he doesnt give a sh*t about the laws in the first place. All these restrictions only affect the law abiding citizen basically it all come down to the 2nd amendment my rights as a free American how or when or why or how i carry should be up to me not you not anyone

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: Growin Wild Outdoors] #3204621 05/05/12 02:35 AM
D
devildog28 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Exactly. Laws only affect the good guys.

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: robbf213] #3204631 05/05/12 02:40 AM
D
devildog28 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: robbf213

That's the nanny state influence for you. If an adult wants to not learn the laws that's their business.

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: devildog28] #3205261 05/05/12 03:00 PM
J
Jasb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Lmao

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: Jasb] #3205297 05/05/12 03:24 PM
glens Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'll tell you one more time, NO!

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: glens] #3213285 05/09/12 03:23 AM
O
off-roadingtoy Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
I would like the option to carry either way. But would carry concealed most of the time like I always do.

Was in Arizona on vacation two years ago and they can do either or. I carried concealed while there. Seen lots of people open carry and didnt think anything of it other than thinking ( wow nice carry weapon)...

There was lots of signs on business that said no open carry allowed thou.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide