Are we ever going to get a open carry? #3182035 04/24/12 10:05 PM
B
BruiserOutlaw Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
If you could carry open... Would you?

For some reason open carry has always made me think freedom..
Still I am sure the state will have to collect on it.. Like they do with the CHL..

When in doubt.. Empty the magazine
Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: BruiserOutlaw] #3182069 04/24/12 10:24 PM
Txkiller Offline
the terminator
the terminator
I saw open carry in CO when I lived there, I wish Texas would do the same.

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: Txkiller] #3182099 04/24/12 10:37 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I would like the option to conceal or open carry, not regulated to do one or the other. I know both sides of the argument and the option to do either would be great!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: J.G.] #3182121 04/24/12 10:50 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Why would you want the attention (negative or positive) of open carry? I think carrying concealed is the best option for the carrier, and is the best option for the public. IMO, I think there are way too many issues with open carry. I like knowing that the CHL person has at least taken a course to know some laws and passed a shooting test, even though it's very easy to pass. So, no, I wouldn't carry openly. I would and do carry concealed.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: ChadTRG42] #3182135 04/24/12 10:58 PM
C
Chopped54 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Why would you want the attention (negative or positive) of open carry? I think carrying concealed is the best option for the carrier, and is the best option for the public. IMO, I think there are way too many issues with open carry. I like knowing that the CHL person has at least taken a course to know some laws and passed a shooting test, even though it's very easy to pass. So, no, I wouldn't carry openly. I would and do carry concealed.

Pretty much sums it up....

I do not want the bad guys knowing I am armed. They know you have a gun, so raises the threat of them shooting first. They get to rob you plus a new gun....

Wealth is of the heart and mind and not of the pocket
Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: ChadTRG42] #3182136 04/24/12 10:58 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
CHL holders allowed to open carry, not just any 21+ year old.

OMG you walk into Lowes and see someone shopping with a 5" 1911 in a holster on a belt!

So what. It will become the norm. Bet violent crimes in Texas will again fall, at least some, if this freedom with firearms is allowed.

Carry concealed if you like. I will carry concealed some of the time and carry open some of the time. What's wrong with the option?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: ChadTRG42] #3182137 04/24/12 10:59 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I like it the way it is. I think open would cause more trouble than it's worth.

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: J.G.] #3182142 04/24/12 11:01 PM
C
cmorsch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
While I dont think that I would ever open carry I do think that those who want to should be able to do so.

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: cmorsch] #3182164 04/24/12 11:13 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
You should have seen and heard the reaction of one of our secretaries who is gun law ignorant and has bashed guns, when she found out that I carry daily and was carrying when she said "You can't carry guns!" She was floored when I explained it to her! Some people it is best to not be around guns and the simple sight of a real gun would freak them out, literally.

Guns are a touchy subject. And being in the business with them, you find out even the gun owners are pretty clueless sometimes, not to mention the "gun clueless public".
People are very quick to be against them, even when they know nothing about them.

I've seen a lot of people shoot pistols and rifles. I don't want any untrained, uneducated joe blow discharging a weapon in a public area. I atleast have a little bit of comfort with the CHL laws and most that allow open carry do not require any training to carry openly.

Last edited by ChadTRG42; 04/24/12 11:24 PM.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: don k] #3182205 04/24/12 11:37 PM
J
ju993rnaut Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: don k
I like it the way it is. I think open would cause more trouble than it's worth.

I agree.
1. Too much unwanted attention.
2. You could possibly put a target on your back
3. You lose the advantage of suprise
4. Allowing people who may have little to no firearm expeirince to carry a gun in public is just not something I look forward to.

What do you really gain? Besides letting everyone know "hey, this guy has a gun".

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: ju993rnaut] #3182279 04/25/12 12:24 AM
B
BruiserOutlaw Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
I think a blind man could pass the CHL shooting test and the rest of the class is about where you can and can't carry.. Some on when deadly force is aloud...Pretty lax training there bud..
I carried CHL.. At first with my combat commander then had to buy a hammerless 38 airweight so I could do it in comfort..
I guess you would have to worry about someone taking your weapon with open carry.. They can take it from you if you have it concealed too..

I want them to know.. I rather not have to use it.. Only a fool would try and take on another known armed man.. Criminals don't like to take risks.. "That dude has a gun" Screw that" "He will kill me"

I think you should be able to carry either way.. Would take away the chance of getting a printing charge..

When in doubt.. Empty the magazine
Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: ju993rnaut] #3182301 04/25/12 12:33 AM
R
robbf213 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I can open carry, anywhere in this state, with my badge by my gun. But I don't, ever. I prefer to be the grey man, unnoticed with no attention drawn to myself. If I ever need my gun off duty I WILL have a tactical advantage and I will win.

I'm of the opinion that the majority of people that want open carry are attention seekers. Just my opinion...

Edited to add because of the post above me: There is NO printing charge!

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: BruiserOutlaw] #3182349 04/25/12 12:58 AM
J
ju993rnaut Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: BruiserOutlaw
I think a blind man could pass the CHL shooting test and the rest of the class is about where you can and can't carry.. Some on when deadly force is aloud...Pretty lax training there bud..
I carried CHL.. At first with my combat commander then had to buy a hammerless 38 airweight so I could do it in comfort..
I guess you would have to worry about someone taking your weapon with open carry.. They can take it from you if you have it concealed too..

I want them to know.. I rather not have to use it.. Only a fool would try and take on another known armed man.. Criminals don't like to take risks.. "That dude has a gun" Screw that" "He will kill me"

I think you should be able to carry either way.. Would take away the chance of getting a printing charge..

Yeah, if you carry concealed there is a possibility that your gun could be taken from you, but they gotta know your carrying first...thats your advantage carrying concealed. If they know your carrying whats to stop them from targeting you first? And isn't being a criminal a risk in itself? Robbery, assult, rape, murder...are all risky/deadly acts. Fact is that when stuff like this happens their peddle is floored there in it all the way and are going to do
whatever it takes to get away. They very well could say "oh, he's got a gun, get him first". Thats alot to trade for a printing ticket...printing happens, it's not supposed to but it does, and if you've carried its probably happened to you, I know its happened to me on occasion no printing ticket yet.

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: robbf213] #3182384 04/25/12 01:13 AM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: robbf213
I can open carry, anywhere in this state, with my badge by my gun. But I don't, ever. I prefer to be the grey man, unnoticed with no attention drawn to myself. If I ever need my gun off duty I WILL have a tactical advantage and I will win.

I'm of the opinion that the majority of people that want open carry are attention seekers. Just my opinion...

Can you explain why there is no printing charge, maybe I am reading your post wrong?

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: Halfadozen] #3182432 04/25/12 01:30 AM
R
robbf213 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Printing is not normally "intentionally failing to conceal". I see people all the time "printing" as long as its not done to "cause alarm" it's not a big deal.

Sec. 46.035.  UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.

From the DPS CHL regulations under Penal Code 42.01 Disorderly Conduct:
(8) displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm;

From the Education Code:
EDC §37.125. EXHIBITION OF FIREARMS.
(a) A person commits an offense if, in a manner intended to cause alarm or personal injury to another person or to damage school property, the person intentionally exhibits, uses, or threatens to exhibit or use a firearm:

Last edited by robbf213; 04/25/12 01:57 AM.
Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: Halfadozen] #3182457 04/25/12 01:38 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The point that much of "the public" shouldn't see or be around firearms is a small indicator of what has gone to hell in a handbasket with this great country of ours. Many folks have lost common sense and lost the sack to stand up, stand your ground and do what needs to be done in time of small or large crisis. I see people weekly that won't lift a finger to help themselves and have someone else do it for them. Often I am the one doing it for them. That's fine,that's my job and I'm always courteous and respectful to them but in my mind I think of my parent's and grandparent's generation. When the fit hit the shan they just handled it and moved on. That attitude is flaming out like used up candle.

The state government tells me I can carry my pistol where all the honest world can see, I'll do it with my head held high and the willingness in my heart to explain to anyone who asks why I do it.

Ignorance is the lack of knowledge.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: robbf213] #3182526 04/25/12 02:03 AM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Printing is not normally "intentionally failing to conceal". I see people all the time "printing" as long as its not done to "cause alarm" it's not a big deal.

Sec. 46.035.  UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.

From the DPS CHL regulations under Penal Code 42.01 Disorderly Conduct:
(8) displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm;

From the Education Code:
EDC §37.125. EXHIBITION OF FIREARMS.
(a) A person commits an offense if, in a manner intended to cause alarm or personal injury to another person or to damage school property, the person intentionally exhibits, uses, or threatens to exhibit or use a firearm:
Thanks, yes I was aware of the statute. Just wondering why you said there was NO printing charge.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: BruiserOutlaw] #3182527 04/25/12 02:03 AM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: BruiserOutlaw
If you could carry open... Would you?

Nope, but if I wanted to I'd like to have the opition.

As for the general public that are fearful of guns, I'd like to see a firearms safety class tought in our public schools, as apart of the physical education program.

I have a friend that grew up in Puerto Rico and his first experience with shooting a shotgun was with me. Took him to shoot some clays, and he is hooked. As he put it, he had no idea how much fun shooting sports could be. Wished he lived closer.

[Linked Image]
Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: J.G.] #3182529 04/25/12 02:04 AM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
I see people weekly that won't lift a finger to help themselves and have someone else do it for them. Often I am the one doing it for them. That's fine,that's my job and I'm always courteous and respectful to them but in my mind I think of my parent's and grandparent's generation. When the fit hit the shan they just handled it and moved on. That attitude is flaming out like used up candle.

Hehehe!!! Not many people get to see this aspect like we do.

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: J.G.] #3182535 04/25/12 02:06 AM
B
Big Will Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I think Ill keep mine concealed if it passes. Seems like the security guard with the gun is always the first one to get shot in a bank robbery. Why would it be different in any other kind of bad situation? Im not against it I just wont be participating.

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: J.G.] #3182540 04/25/12 02:06 AM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
I'm For open carry.

Shane

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: robbf213] #3182556 04/25/12 02:14 AM
riverdog Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker

Yep, a wise man is a grey man - walk softly and quietly until action is required/needed. I am not interested in painting a target on my back or persons who may be in company. The assumption that all bad guys will run away when they see a person carrying open is a wrong assumption.

The good news is the attention seekers are in the minute minority and it ain't gonna happen.

Work hard, play hard, love without reserve....you can rest in heaven when the journey is over.
Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: Big Will] #3182563 04/25/12 02:19 AM
D
dlrz71 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I agree that you would be a target with open carry, but we are looking at it as if it would not be that common. However if it were legal to open carry and the mass majority did so, I believe this would have a different outlook from the whole state.

My thinking about this at this moment is the mass public would cause an uproar/panic just from the sight of an open carry gun which I think is the reason for Texas not having an Open carry law.

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: Superduty] #3182570 04/25/12 02:20 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
I can also open carry and I choose not to.

Why would you ever want to show your cards?

Re: Are we ever going to get a open carry? [Re: Superduty] #3182581 04/25/12 02:25 AM
W
wchamilton Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
I grew up with and lived most of my life with open carry, I carried both ways and never thought much of it.
Personally I think that we should stop acting like we are doing anything wrong when carrying open.
The lines in the gun war of pro or con have already been pretty well established, we have nothing to be ashamed of, nor to hide.
As far as the arguement as to thinking that a CHL test is going to help keep anyone safer does not hold water.
Many of these comments sound a lot like the opposition.

America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide