Print Thread
Takin the wife hog hunting.... #3167251 04/17/12 10:53 PM
R
Redneck Messiah Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
R
The only way I could get her to go to deer camp to hog hunt is if we take the horses... OK

My question is, I have never tried shooting off of my faithful steed Rio...

Shall I, (if we ride up on some pigs).. take the safe route and slip of the side of above mentioned faithful steed Rio, let my wife on her horse lead him off a ways and take the shot....

Or... use the "Hold my beer and watch this $hit" approach, pull weapon from my newly purchaced scabbard and take the shot while mounted??

I have always heard the hardest thing about hunting on horseback is the second shot....... because normally after the first shot your flat on your back on the ground watching your horse run off..

Now if I do take the "hold my beer" method... shall I give her time to get cell phone out and Video it,.. so future generations can study it and learn how to/not to do it?

Originally Posted By: cody
...give it to a homeless guy...he won't mind the stiffness
Re: Takin the wife hog hunting.... [Re: Redneck Messiah] #3167390 04/17/12 11:42 PM
M
M Bennet Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
slied off and shoot

Re: Takin the wife hog hunting.... [Re: Redneck Messiah] #3167413 04/17/12 11:50 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: Redneck Messiah
The only way I could get her to go to deer camp to hog hunt is if we take the horses... OK

My question is, I have never tried shooting off of my faithful steed Rio...

Shall I, (if we ride up on some pigs).. take the safe route and slip of the side of above mentioned faithful steed Rio, let my wife on her horse lead him off a ways and take the shot....

Or... use the "Hold my beer and watch this $hit" approach, pull weapon from my newly purchaced scabbard and take the shot while mounted??

I have always heard the hardest thing about hunting on horseback is the second shot....... because normally after the first shot your flat on your back on the ground watching your horse run off..

Now if I do take the "hold my beer" method... shall I give her time to get cell phone out and Video it,.. so future generations can study it and learn how to/not to do it?

Yes, to above in blue / bold.
Especially if you have good insurance.

What happens after you mush the trigger depends on the horse.

Re: Takin the wife hog hunting.... [Re: M Bennet] #3167415 04/17/12 11:50 PM
GarayOutdoors Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
No matter what you do try to get it on video! haha

Re: Takin the wife hog hunting.... [Re: GarayOutdoors] #3167421 04/17/12 11:53 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Gosh it would be fun to watch.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Takin the wife hog hunting.... [Re: M Bennet] #3167450 04/18/12 12:03 AM
J
Jhop Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Is the horse a gun horse? ie. Do you shoot around him often? How does he react to gunfire? My guess is if you're asking he's not a gun horse. You'll most likely have trouble with the 2nd shot! lol I head up to South Dakota almost every year to hunt with friends and family. If I go in the summer time we coyote hunt with horses and often times ride around and shoot gophers with 22's. For the yotes we dismount of coarse and call. The horse's will see the yotes long before we do. We shoot the gophers while still mounted. We keep clear about 60deg around the horse's ears. Now I've shot an AR-15 off the back of them as well with no problems. However we like to take care of the horses. So we don't normally take shots like that unless we see a yote while mounted. Now that being said, my buddy only has a couple horses that we can do this off of. The rest get jumpy as soon as we head for them carrying guns. So your best bet is too dismount and tie the horses up a short distant away behind where plan to shoot. Otherwise you could be in for a long walk.

Retired U. S. Army, which means I still have to work to make a living.
Re: Takin the wife hog hunting.... [Re: Jhop] #3167574 04/18/12 01:02 AM
S
SwampHunterFw Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
try shooting 22 cbs an work your way up , shoot off the side , i started mine like that an can shoot off him now

Re: Takin the wife hog hunting.... [Re: SwampHunterFw] #3167920 04/18/12 03:11 AM
W
wchamilton Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
I would be very careful with this scenario.
Guns and horses and hogs,, and your wife?
If your horse are not gun broke it may not be just you that gets in a wreck, you very well may get her dumped or run over if she is holding your horses.
The second thing is that if you see some hogs and your close enough to shoot they are not going to be hanging around for long most likely.
I think that the smartest plan would be to use the horses to just have a nice ride with your wife primarily, and then if you happen to see some hogs from far enough away that you can get down and tie and preferably hobble both horses you can then put a stalk on them with your wife.
The third thing is that if you knock one or more down and you happen to get blood on yourself or your clothes you may well have another issue on your hands when you get back to your horses.
An old trick that I have used with young or inexperianced hunting horses is to take some blood in my hands and rub their noses with it.
It will quickly overload their sense of smell and they will stop reacting to the smell on you.

This could be a really fun thing for the both of you if you put her enjoyment and both your safety first.
If you get less than smart about it you might create a wreck that one or both of you never get over.

America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe
Re: Takin the wife hog hunting.... [Re: wchamilton] #3168138 04/18/12 04:54 AM
B
blubrrykush Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Some horses dont like hogs runnin up their craw, just saying.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil!
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/chadscott1/IMG-20110125-00122.jpg
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide