Forums46
Topics538,383
Posts9,736,533
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Cigarette Smoke at the Deer Camp [Re: Hunt n Fish] #3143680 04/07/12 02:25 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I smoke in my bow stand not gona lie...have had deer walkin under me while doing so

Re: Cigarette Smoke at the Deer Camp [Re: Diamondback Ranch] #3143744 04/07/12 02:47 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I chain smoke all day, every day and don't slow down at the deer lease. I smoke in my blind ALL the time and kill just as many deer as any of the non smokers (more than some), we have a couple of other smokers that kill/see plenty of deer also.

Should you ban smoking at the lease ? Maybe, if you can get away with it. How about banning it IN any camp owned structures or common areas where it might bother a nonsmoker and ban it in the field for fire hazard reasons?
Make blinds smoking or nonsmoking at the blind OWNERS discretion.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Cigarette Smoke at the Deer Camp [Re: Hunt n Fish] #3144163 04/07/12 06:15 PM
D
DeerSmokeScreen.com Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
deersmokescreen.com

...it really works.

Re: Cigarette Smoke at the Deer Camp [Re: DeerSmokeScreen.com] #3144179 04/07/12 06:26 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: DeerSmokeScreen.com
deersmokescreen.com

...it really works.

Nice plug up

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Cigarette Smoke at the Deer Camp [Re: Hunt n Fish] #3148077 04/09/12 07:31 PM
C
caldwelldeerhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
when you see your big bucks they are usually chasing a doe, they dont smell smoke. matter of fact when they are around camp fires and people burning trash they smell it and are in no danger your in your stand and they smell it again no danger i dont think it matters.

If I put my wife in a high fence will her rack get bigger?
[Linked Image]
Re: Cigarette Smoke at the Deer Camp [Re: Hunt n Fish] #3152786 04/11/12 05:25 PM
C
cmorsch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Personally I dont allow it in my camps, but I also hate the smell of it. Thankfully no one I hunt with smokes anymore.

Re: Cigarette Smoke at the Deer Camp [Re: cmorsch] #3152921 04/11/12 06:12 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Campfires can produce a ton of smoke.

Re: Cigarette Smoke at the Deer Camp [Re: Hunt n Fish] #3153083 04/11/12 07:31 PM
G
GT - HUNTER Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
How about your BBQ ? Do you guys grill steaks at night. That's probably 100 bigger than Marlboro. Many of my friends smoke while hunting , I don't. We all smell more like BBQ and the fire pit than smoke from cigarette.

Re: Cigarette Smoke at the Deer Camp [Re: Hunt n Fish] #3154256 04/12/12 03:18 AM
B
BlizzardMan8890 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I don't like it in camp just because I don't want the smell in my hair or cloths but I don't know if it affects deer or not

(Stone Cold)
Originally Posted By: passthru
Shoot, if I wanted to go through something that complicated I would just ask my wife how her day went.
Re: Cigarette Smoke at the Deer Camp [Re: BlizzardMan8890] #3154434 04/12/12 07:12 AM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Well I don't think there is an correct answer for this. Deer are individuals and have individual patterns or "personalities" if you prefer. And these change from deer to deer and from area to area - and even from month to month.

Here is my $0.02 on the subject.

There is no question that deer have an acute sense of smell. I think everybody knows that. They CERTAINLY can smell smoke/people.

How they react to it can be varied. I've had the pleasure of hunting a lot of different areas around texas in the past few years and I have made the following observations.

For example, I hunted in Memphis in farming areas this past December. Because of all the farm houses and people moving around, the deer up there are not too concerned with vehicles. Heck, we drove right up to some mulies and whitetails and they looked up - saw us - and immediately went back to grazing. We even honked the horn and they didn't even react.

However, as soon as I stepped out of the truck, they stopped eating and immediately focused on me - but still didn't move. I watched them for about 5-10 minutes, smoking a cig. I reached into the truck and took my shooting sticks out - they took one look at those sticks and scampered off.

I was on one ranch and was smoking a cig in an open tripod and the deer kept milling around the feeder - although they looked up, sniffed the air, looked my direction.

On another ranch, had a deer come in and as soon as it got downwind, it clearly winded me and ran off. Another doe came in and winded me, and didn't give a flip.

On the same ranch, I've saw deer that didn't pay much attention to folks, smoking, filling feeders, etc. all year - but as soon as season started and there were some shots made - they got real cautious.

I've also seen axis spook off while the WT standing right next to them couldn't care less.

I believe that the really big, older deer are smarter and more cautious. Too often I've seen younger/smaller bucks and does trot right out to the feeder/food plot and see a bigger, older buck hang back in the brush and obviously just not feel comfortable about coming out. So I would keep that in mind. There is, IMHO, a big difference in behaviour between an 110" 8pt and a 150" 10pt. If there are really big trophies in an area - and i am hunting them - I'll be a lot more cautious in my behavior too!

If I am doing a meat hunt for does, I've hunted in blue jeans and white t-shirt - and shot deer. However, if I am hunting horns, I am going to take every precaution: camo, scent, parking the vehicle, etc. Maybe it won't make a difference - but maybe it will. Why take the chance with a trophy animal at stake? Sure, maybe that 180" 12pt drop-tine buck won't give a flip about cig smoke - but what if THAT deer does and scampers off before I get a shot? I'd be kicking myself all the way home.

That's just me - and how I like to think and do things. Makes ME feel good. I got a buddy who doesn't care one iota.

Finally, there is definitely a big difference the smell from a wood burning campire, grill pit, and cigarette smoke. Heck, even I can tell the difference 100 yards downwind - and if I can tell - I am certain the deer can.

Last edited by John Humbert; 04/12/12 07:20 AM.
Re: Cigarette Smoke at the Deer Camp [Re: John Humbert] #3154478 04/12/12 11:06 AM
W
wchamilton Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
If they can smell your cigarette, they have already smelled you.

I don't smoke but frankly I would not hunt in a camp that told someone that they couldn't.
Too many rectally retentive people in this world as it is, we should not encourage them.

America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe
Re: Cigarette Smoke at the Deer Camp [Re: wchamilton] #3155114 04/12/12 04:12 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
I dont' smoke but don't mind if anyone else in camp does. It's deer camp for crying out loud. I smell a lot worse than cigarette smoke by the time I get home from a hunting trip anyway, haha. I figure as long as it masks actual human scent, it can't hurt. I figure deer get use to fireplace smoke, campfire smoke, grill and smoker smoke, leaf and trash burning smoke.....a little cig smoke on a person won't spook the deer that bad. But it's all about indavidual choices and opinions.

Last edited by Curly; 04/12/12 04:13 PM.
Re: Cigarette Smoke at the Deer Camp [Re: Curly] #3155284 04/12/12 05:07 PM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Exactly, there is scent elimination and scent masking. It is VERY hard to eliminate odors from a person. Almost impossible - just ask the folks at Scent-Lok smile

Positioning yourself so the wind doesn't bust you - and that's hard to do sometimes - for me, deer have a habit of sneaking up from me from the unexpected, wrong direction.

On the other hand, it is fairly easy to MASK your odor with another scent. Cedars are very good for that (probably the only redeeming value of cedars). Brush yourself with some cut cedars and it will kill most other BO or other scents for the hunter - even for hunting cats.

River willows are also good for this.

Re: Cigarette Smoke at the Deer Camp [Re: John Humbert] #3157212 04/13/12 02:14 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
John Humbert - What you're describing is basically the catch-all principle of hunting whitetails: Anything they're not used to will scare them. Including food they will ultimately eat but haven't encountered before. The first time a deer walks up on apples, if it's never seen apples before, they will approach it with extreme caution.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide