Print Thread
New to loading #314108 02/10/08 03:50 AM
D
DarrellS Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
I am thinking of buying a reloading set-up. Are the Lee turret kits any good. I notice there is alot of price difference between RCBS and Lee.

Re: New to loading [Re: DarrellS] #314109 02/10/08 03:56 AM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I have the lee 3 station progressive loader, and it works great. There is no other press on the market that can compare in price. There are some nicer ones, but unless you are loading thousands or rounds on a very regular basis the lee will do you fine. I load about 500 rounds of .223 regularly with mine. I would say that once the cases are ready, and the powder measure is set and all the components are ready I can load about 20 rounds a minute.

Re: New to loading [Re: helomech] #314110 02/10/08 04:48 AM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Have you ever reloaded before? How many rounds a year do you think you'd load, for how many different guns? What benefits are you looking for by reloading?

Turret presses are good. I took a long look at them before I bought my second Rock Chucker. Seems like I was eyeballing the Redding, or RCBS then. I like the single stage operation, and the capability to change dies w/o having to set-up. I use two single presses at a time if I need to reload some brass quick. But most of the time I prep brass and store it (single stage press). Then when I need to load rounds I just need the seater die, thus a single stage press again. I'm a fan of "less moving parts" myself. But I could see a turret press for each rifle (I'd have to expand my loading table though, and there ain't no room for that).

Yes, there is a big difference in prices between LEE, and just about everyone else. But any of their products I've ever bought work just fine. I had a LEE progressive press years ago, used it for 9mm & 45acp, and it worked just fine. I'd slam out a couple thousand rounds for me and all my buddies every year, and it collected dust the rest of the time. I got out of handguns and one of my buddies bought it. HE still uses it about twice a year. I don't think it'd have fared so well if it'd been resizing long action rounds all it's life though. I've got one of their cheap plastic powder drops, and I like it better than my RCBS. Although I can see where I'll have to replace the LEE at some point, and the RCBS will likely last me a lifetime. I also have a LEE C-press. I got a deal on it when I bought their loading books, I think. I'm not positive where it came from but it's brand new. I have yet to use it. It looks like it'd load a few rounds.

Post any questions you have here. There are plenty of guys on this forum who are very knowledgeable about load ammo.

Jay

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: New to loading [Re: psycho0819] #314111 02/10/08 05:12 AM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I have a couple of turrets, and keep them set up. I can switch from .40, to .223 in a second. Just drop the turret in and you are ready to go. I have loaded atleast 15k rounds of 223, over 10k rounds of .40, .243, and .357. The only issue I had with it was the powder dispenser the plastic cracks after changing the powder charge alot. I have only had one crack, but I ordered 2 more just in case. I think they cost less than 10 bucks for both.

Re: New to loading [Re: helomech] #314112 02/23/08 05:23 PM
T
TexasPI Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
You should definitely decide your reason for wanting to reload. Initially, I got into reloading because I regularly shot a 300 Weatherby Magnum and the cost of the ammo was killing me. A friend of mine who had been reloading for years started loading ammo for me. Not wanting to impose too much, I offered to help with the reloading. After teaching me the process, I found a great deal of satisfaction in handloading rounds that not only were a great deal more accurate than factory loads, but that allowed me to test different bullet / powder combinations without costing an arm and a leg.
Not planning to reload a lot of rounds, I purchased the Lee Anniversary reloading kit for about $75. After buying a few extras to go along with the kit, I had everything that I needed. Years later, I still use the original Lee single stage press as well as Lee dies in about 10 calibers. I have never had any issues with the Lee products and have loads for all of my rifles that are far more accurate than anything that I had shot through them before (after testing loads for each rifle).
If you are just going to tinker a little with reloading and load a couple hundred rounds per year, I see no problems with using a Lee (or other brand) simple setup. If you plan on doing a lot of reloading, you would probably want to research the progressive loaders a little more.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide