Forums46
Topics538,235
Posts9,734,645
Members87,075
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: Smith#34] #3135785 04/03/12 11:56 PM
S
SwampHunterFw Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Smith#34
Originally Posted By: SwampHunterFw
Originally Posted By: Joseph
Not a fan of hunting with dogs. Whether it be hogs, coons, quail, ducks, or dove. Just seems lazy to me. Takes the fun out of it.

However, if it's legal I see nothing wrong with people doing it. Just not my cup of tea.

you my friend are wrong its far from lazy , more work then sitting in a blind shooting deer , you ever traveled 20 miles on foot in a night ? i have all to catch one hog with dogs tell me how that is lazy ? an it is more fun , saturday night caught 4 hogs in about 30 mins an covered about 2 or 3 miles swam a creek 2 times an went down 75 ft cliff an tied 3 hogs n killed one , so if thats what you call lazy then i donno whats not lazy

Yea thats true. I can't speak for hog hunting but I know that coon hunting is far from it. I think he was referring to duck and dove though.

i guess i kno i have walked many miles behind a coon hound too lol i got smart an started riding a pony

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: txshntr] #3135917 04/04/12 12:43 AM
M
M Bennet Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
go back to the topic of all this shurt, catch the dog and call the owner or if it has a tracking callor just hold it and they will show up . why shoot the dog its not his fault. im a dog hunter and my places are big. and i hope i dont ever have a stupid trigger happy hunter shoot my dogs cause i dont carry a 44 mag for nothing . i respect all ways of hunting and land owners . never had any problems and normaly land around my ranches no im hunting dogs. that to me is the things you have to do if you run dogs is let as many land owners know yur helping a rancher with his hog problem and try and let surrounding owners no what yur doing and respect all their rules.and sometimes it just dont work out.iv got a ranch with lots of hogs but the guy beside my place doesnt want dogs on his place so i dont even hunt there. all it takes is one bad apple in a barrel to spoil the hole thing

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: M Bennet] #3136307 04/04/12 03:25 AM
O
Ole shep Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
O
If you want to raise big deer. You better do everything possible to kill or relocate feral hogs. I had sold my dogs and quit hunting because of people buying rural land for recreation and not understanding that livestock and dogs will cross fences. I guide on 9000 acres and the pigs are taking over. Much more of a problem than any other predator has ever caused. I'm back in the dog biz killing all I can and sending the rest out of the area I have had no problems with any neighbors. Most want to know when I can come to their place and run the dogs. But there is one that owns a small tract of land that keeps me from hunting about 1500 acres. He shoots all day every weekend and would enjoy shooting my dogs and probably me. Reminds me of some that have posted on here. I will stop now before I say something I should not. I know there are bad dog hunters . I also know there are some bad land owners and lease hunters also.

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: Ole shep] #3136313 04/04/12 03:27 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
So a land owner that doesn't want dogs on their property with strangers chasing them with guns, is a bad land owner scratch

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: txshntr] #3136402 04/04/12 04:30 AM
H
Hunter_812 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: txshntr
So a land owner that doesn't want dogs on their property with strangers chasing them with guns, is a bad land owner scratch

I darn sure don't want strangers with guns who are chasing their dogs, who are chasing anything with a scent on our place. I don't think we are bad land owners for that.

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: Ole shep] #3136491 04/04/12 09:30 AM
S
Smith#34 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: Ole shep
If you want to raise big deer. You better do everything possible to kill or relocate feral hogs. I had sold my dogs and quit hunting because of people buying rural land for recreation and not understanding that livestock and dogs will cross fences. I guide on 9000 acres and the pigs are taking over. Much more of a problem than any other predator has ever caused. I'm back in the dog biz killing all I can and sending the rest out of the area I have had no problems with any neighbors. Most want to know when I can come to their place and run the dogs. But there is one that owns a small tract of land that keeps me from hunting about 1500 acres. He shoots all day every weekend and would enjoy shooting my dogs and probably me. Reminds me of some that have posted on here. I will stop now before I say something I should not. I know there are bad dog hunters . I also know there are some bad land owners and lease hunters also.

You will never win this argument. These guys don't understand why a dog would cross a fence chasing whatever game they are after. But I think they're looking at it the wrong way. If I had to guess, they have it in their minds that us dog hunters willingly and intentionally cross fences on other peoples property. But that's not the case. I normally don't hunt where I take the chance where a dog can cross over on a place where they and I aren't wanted. but it sits uneasy with me knowing that there are some people out there that would kill a dog with a collar on it knowing it belongs to somebody. The easiest thing to do is catch the dog if it allows for that, look for a name tag, call the owner and inform them to keep the dogs off. I don't understand why a lot of landowners don't see this as an option.

Thermal Hog Hunting
Nightshiftoutfitters.com

Brent Smith
(903)449-3923
Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: Smith#34] #3136808 04/04/12 01:55 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Smith#34
The easiest thing to do is catch the dog if it allows for that, look for a name tag, call the owner and inform them to keep the dogs off. I don't understand why a lot of landowners don't see this as an option.

Think you are making a presumption about landowners, that is no different than the accusation toward the dog hunters that has some riled up.

As was said, there a few that ruin it for others. Some of the dog hunters have said they have every right to cross fences to retrieve the dog AND kill the hog, then return to the property they started on. I have even seen one in particular question how he was expected to run dogs on 400 acres and not cross a fence.

Pretty sure it is understood that there are exceptions and there are hog doggers that are respectful of land owners. Also, there is no doubt that there are many land owners that will shoot dogs. Too many issues with livestock. There are just as many that wouldn't

IMO, there is more justification for the LO to have an issue with dogs and/or hunters being on their property than there is for a hunter having an issue with a landowner being mad that dogs are running through his property.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: txshntr] #3136972 04/04/12 03:08 PM
H
Hunter_812 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Well said txshntr

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: M Bennet] #3137767 04/04/12 08:11 PM
W
WestTex325 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: M Bennet
go back to the topic of all this shurt, catch the dog and call the owner or if it has a tracking callor just hold it and they will show up . why shoot the dog its not his fault. im a dog hunter and my places are big. and i hope i dont ever have a stupid trigger happy hunter shoot my dogs cause i dont carry a 44 mag for nothing . i respect all ways of hunting and land owners . never had any problems and normaly land around my ranches no im hunting dogs. that to me is the things you have to do if you run dogs is let as many land owners know yur helping a rancher with his hog problem and try and let surrounding owners no what yur doing and respect all their rules.and sometimes it just dont work out.iv got a ranch with lots of hogs but the guy beside my place doesnt want dogs on his place so i dont even
hunt there. all it takes is one bad apple in a barrel to spoil the hole thing

So uh, if some hunter shot your dog.....you would use your 44 mag to get revenge?

Seen more than a few dog hunters get the bone headed idea that it's ok to trespass to get their dogs without getting permission from a land owner. And more than a few make threats about their dogs getting shot when they cross that line.

A raccoon, or a pig does not warrant you trespassing no more than trespassing to retrieve a wounded deer does. They are your dogs, your problem. When they become my problem, they will get dealt with. I won't shoot a dog just because he is there. But I won't hesitate if it ruins my hunting.

And God forgive me if you pull your 44 mag on me after doing so. It won't end pretty.

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: WestTex325] #3137798 04/04/12 08:25 PM
B
Bowtech1233 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I realize that most hog doggers are probably respectful of the land owners and are probably really good people. That being said, I would be pissed if I was hunting and a bunch of dogs came running through my set up. I would be pretty understanding if it happened once, but the OP said it had happened several times. He has every right to be angry.

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: Bowtech1233] #3140009 04/05/12 07:55 PM
W
whenmommaletsme Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Alot of interesting comments here. I own land as well and know first hand the dog problems. if a hunter lets me know he will be running dogs that great, if he looses one fine lets find him. But nowhere does anything or anyone give you permision to follow your dog without my permision....
To open a bigger can and my biggest problem is people dumping dogs and other animals.... we do not have a pound and the ones inside the city will not accept em. the spca now wants me to make a donation to them to accept strays, and to prosecute me if I follow the S.S.S.

if you tell one person its not a secret

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: Txhuntr2] #3140420 04/05/12 11:13 PM
S
STXHO Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Call the GW. Thats he simplest thing you can do.

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: STXHO] #3141267 04/06/12 12:21 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I have lost some very expensive stock to dogs that came on to my place over the years. I tried not to do what I do now. I have called the sheriffs dept. Talked to the dog owners. Tried everything. Non of it did any good. Now I S.S.S. and the problem is over.

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: don k] #3141731 04/06/12 03:32 PM
W
wchamilton Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Most all of you folks have not ever really had a dog problem, if you had you would understand that the advice don k just gave is absolutely the best answer.
All talking to a dog owner will get you is a visit when their problem dog goes missing or comes home with a leg shot off.
Regardless of whether you had anything ot do with it or not.
And you better believe it.
If your a good guy, and you approach me with respect and concern for your dog that got away from you of course I will help you find him.
Or if you come over before hand and let me know your going to be in the area and one of your dogs may get over on me.
I am going to be very understanding of a nice person just wanting to hunt their dogs.
But you wanna be tuff guys that think your going to be threatening and tell a land owner what your going to do to them if they shoot one of your dogs.
Don't ever forget that some people are actually pretty dam good in a mixup of any kind, and might even kind of like it.
That fat little old man in overalls just might be ex special forces, and if you think I am joking God help ya.

America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe
Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: Smith#34] #3158312 04/13/12 08:21 PM
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I know.. late to the party but I had to say this....

I would not want to shoot a dog, and don't know if I would, but I read where you said you do not hunt during the day.. well, I hunt at night at times too and frankly do not want a person moving cross my property day OR night.

Yes, dogs get loose and no, it is not their fault, but it happens. I would hope I could call them up and pet them and call their owners, but if I get even a slight itchy feeling that they would be aggressive, I would not hesitate to shoot one. I have a 2yr old and a 4yr old and a wife that are a heck of a lot more important than a coon or a hog or a dog chasing one of them.

Anyway, very interesting points on both sides, just like to take a moment to state that I, as a land owner, am not a bad person nor am I irresponsible for protecting my property or who does or does not hunt on my property.

I had a hog run across the road I was on and onto another land owner's property and I let it go till I had asked permission. To me, that's the way you do things. Now, had it sat there, sure.. I'd have killed it and left it, vs trespassing...but to go after your dogs on their land.. ? nah.. to me, that is the same as hunting on it.

Like someone said.. using dogs is fine, just make sure you hunt on enough land you do not have to worry about that.

Again, got here late and had to speak my mind :P

Russ

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: JohnRussell] #3158675 04/14/12 12:02 AM
S
Smith#34 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I can understand somebody killing a dog for running cattle or showing aggression, because I've done it. What I don't understand is if they just so happened to show up on somebody's land because I've lost touch with them for some unknown reason, why someone would just shoot them without trying to see if there is a name tag or anything on their collar.

Thermal Hog Hunting
Nightshiftoutfitters.com

Brent Smith
(903)449-3923
Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: Smith#34] #3158859 04/14/12 01:48 AM
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A lot of folks talk a good talk, but I am betting, even if it irritated them, and it would irritate me, they would not shoot them just for coming on their land. Now, if I had that happen 3 or 4 times and the dogs clearly would not come up to me.. I might be inclined to "solve the problem" since someone else did not.

I think, until we all actually face this issue, all we can do is talk a good talk.

So long as they did not pose a threat and I had options, I would take the nice way out. But the deer and hogs and turkey and other animals on my property are "my cattle", albeit I do not own them" but it is my job to manage them both as a steward of the land as well as a land owner under a wildlife plan. Lastly, anyone retrieving a dog on my land, unannounced, would stand the same harsh scrutiny as someone just walking across it, imo.

Anyway, all a moot issue as I am sure most the folks on here are courteous and responsible.

Have a great day and go kill some hogs :p

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: Txhuntr2] #3158917 04/14/12 02:10 AM
B
BlizzardMan8890 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I have a frien that hunts with dogs and h tells me that if your dogs are registered with the hog hunters [censored] and you shoot them you can get like 20 years in jail.you can't do anything to those dogs or collars the law will be al over you.

(Stone Cold)
Originally Posted By: passthru
Shoot, if I wanted to go through something that complicated I would just ask my wife how her day went.
Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: BlizzardMan8890] #3159229 04/14/12 03:21 AM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong but here it goes. If I hunt on someones property even by accident or without permission of landowner, I am poaching or hunting illegally, right? By doing this I may be fined so then why arent owners of dogs held accountable for this? I know this is off topic of would you shoot a dog or not. If I am running dogs hunting pigs or any other kind of animals, knowing that dogs can't read posted signs and I am really intentionally planning on doing on what ever it takes to find my dogs and or game possibly without asking fence line neighbors for approval. Isn't that a deliberate act of breaking the law? I don't hunt with dogs and don't really plan to but "if" it is legal and all fence line neighbors have given their blessing then, go get em, have fun. I just think there has to be a level of accountability for everyone to obey all laws, including trespassing.

There was also a statment earlier that land owners benefit from others helping with their "severe hog problem". Is there really a hog problem? There is a whole lot of money changing hands in hog hunting. I think if there was real a hog problem there would be adds on here inviting responsible hunters to come out and take care of the problem without charging $100 to $200 dollars a day with a 1 or 2 hog kill limit and would possibly get a couple thousand volunteers each weekend till they were pretty well driven some place else like maybe California. (Ha Ha) To me, if there is money in it then it dosen't seem to be much of a problem but in actuallity it is a form of income.

Ok, I'm through, have fun.

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: GLC] #3159401 04/14/12 04:37 AM
B
BlizzardMan8890 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
GLC just my oppinion but I think there is a hog problem but people know they can make money by selling the hunts.and they know people will pay so if everyone stopped paying I think people would be begging for people to kill the hogs.idk just a thought

(Stone Cold)
Originally Posted By: passthru
Shoot, if I wanted to go through something that complicated I would just ask my wife how her day went.
Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: BlizzardMan8890] #3159622 04/14/12 12:11 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: headshot hero
I have a frien that hunts with dogs and h tells me that if your dogs are registered with the hog hunters [censored] and you shoot them you can get like 20 years in jail.you can't do anything to those dogs or collars the law will be al over you.
That sounds like B.S. to me.

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: coreybasshunter] #3159702 04/14/12 01:30 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
the hog's were terring up ground were have my deer feeder & little area were for years have put throw & grow out for the deer.. was sitting in my stand bout 100yrds away.. seen something moving, grabed me binoc's.. three dogs, these were stays.. reason didn't shoot... over the years have had many stray dog's & cat's wonder inta our yard.. they ended up as pets for the kids.. last dog that came in, put it on collor & chain, it learned ta back out, ended up getting one of the collors that fits around the legs.. got up one morning, dog missing, looked around, dog not ta be found, later that day as driving inta yard, dog was laying dead. some one had shot it.. some of the dog's with the radio collors have name & phone number of owner, some times they get too far away from transmitter, their will be some that say should have shot the strays.. confused2

i'm postaddic
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide