Forums46
Topics538,348
Posts9,736,097
Members87,082
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Should Texas allow silencers for deer hunting?... Yes. [Re: wchamilton] #3113679 03/25/12 03:12 AM
G
gdbuckslayer Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
G
The issue is that you have to shoot bullets subsonic to make the silencer effective, none are going to mushroom for effective wound channels at 1k fps and less. I would imagine it greatly reduces effective range as well. However, I can imagine how happy I would be to snipe a huge boar that is headed through my deerhunting area without disturbing the deer for once. Will let you know-waiting for mine to come in!

Re: Should Texas allow silencers for deer hunting?... Yes. [Re: dogcatcher] #3113755 03/25/12 03:57 AM
W
wchamilton Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
I have been deer hunting well over 50 years, I haven't seen any reason for a silencer in all of those years. If that makes me a hypocrite, well then so be it, but what does that make the person that "thinks" they need one? A poor excuse for a hunter? Or maybe a poor sportsman? I will let the so called "experts" that need all of the "toys" decide.

just wondering what you have been using to hunt deer with. A high powered centerfire with a scope perhaps? Your deer rifle today was someone elses expensive "toy" at one time, and the same arguements you are using would then have been used against you.
I don't even want one of the damn things, but I can see their value, and if someone does want one then they should be able to have one.
All of your arguements about them being toys sound like so much bitchin, and worrys about poachers frankly sounds like paranoia.
Frankly I don't really think you have any valid arguements other than you like a lot of other folks are just selfish. If you don't want one or can't afford one then you don't want anyone else to have one either.
Take the poaching scenarios out of the equation for a second, what the heck then is left to gripe about? nothing.
So stop talking in circles, no one gives a carp about what you consider a " toy" .
Especially when you are using some toys yourself already, so yes that would make you a hypocrite.

America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe
Re: Should Texas allow silencers for deer hunting?... Yes. [Re: wchamilton] #3113800 03/25/12 04:21 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I use a Savage 110, with the scope that came with the "kit" a Simmons. Total cost was about $250. Before that I hunted with a Marlin 30-30, it cost about $89 in 1969, no scope. Before that a WWII military surplus that cost less than $25 at Gibsons, again no scope. Before that I used my grandpa's cannon.

I put the scope on the Savage in about 2000 when my eyesight started to fail because of age. When I lost all sight in my left eye, and the right had deteriorated to the point it was either quit hunting or use a scope.

I basically hunt with basic equipment, anything above that us a "toy", usually an unnecessary expense. I have never failed to kill a deer, nor have I had to trail one over 50 yards.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Should Texas allow silencers for deer hunting?... Yes. [Re: dogcatcher] #3113806 03/25/12 04:26 AM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
How's your hearing?

I use a Savage 110, with the scope that came with the "kit" a Simmons. Total cost was about $250. Before that I hunted with a Marlin 30-30, it cost about $89 in 1969, no scope. Before that a WWII military surplus that cost less than $25 at Gibsons, again no scope. Before that I used my grandpa's cannon.

I put the scope on the Savage in about 2000 when my eyesight started to fail because of age. When I lost all sight in my left eye, and the right had deteriorated to the point it was either quit hunting or use a scope.

I basically hunt with basic equipment, anything above that us a "toy", usually an unnecessary expense. I have never failed to kill a deer, nor have I had to trail one over 50 yards.

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: Should Texas allow silencers for deer hunting?... Yes. [Re: dogcatcher] #3113917 03/25/12 11:02 AM
W
wchamilton Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W

you know its almost funny if it were not so sad that this internet never fails to bring out the butthead in many of us.
I would imagine that regardless of whether or not we agree on this stupid subject I would probably like you if I had to hunt with you.
There is something about hard headed old bisterds that I have always kind of liked.
Guess thats why I am turning into one myself.
Chit thats scary.

America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe
Re: Should Texas allow silencers for deer hunting?... Yes. [Re: Stub] #3114024 03/25/12 01:39 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: C.U.Outdoors
What does a suppressor have to do with the challenge? The bullet hits the animal before they hear anything regardless of how loud or quiet the shot is.

If you miss on the first shot usually the bang scares the hell out of all animals nearby and they take off. That adds to the excitement of having to make that first shot. With out the bang they might not spook as easy and make for an easier second shot, which might take away from some of the thrill of the hunt!

Its what ever your preference is and thats OK! I am just sharing the other side of the deal.

If everybody agrees with everything, then there is no point having a forum to express ones views!!

Guns still make noise with suppressors, just not as much. Also, I've seen numerous deer over the years that heard my shot, looked around, and went back to eating.

I agree with your last statement, but what bothers me about this particular issue is the prevailing thought process with many that goes something like this: "I don't think it's necessary so I don't think anyone should have it"
What group does that sound like?
(I don't think that's what you're saying)

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Should Texas allow silencers for deer hunting?... Yes. [Re: Grizz] #3114625 03/25/12 08:34 PM
T
TxHunter18 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
there pointless

Re: Should Texas allow silencers for deer hunting?... Yes. [Re: TxHunter18] #3115194 03/26/12 01:29 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Its ok to agree to disagree. I have shot several deer that dropped and the deer around them bolted for about 30 yards stopped looked around and then took off. And if you have paid attention to most of the last comments, its not all or mainly about the poachers, its about ones perception of hunting.

It is supposed to be about the thrill of the hunt, the excitement of the harvest of fair game! Okay lets say no one should tell another man or woman what is ethical when hunting when it comes to weapons, silencers, 50 calibers or whatever. Where do you draw the line with this mentality? Lets say someone with that train of thought says they should allow hunting with bazookas or RPG's, are you going to crawfish on that stance? And do not say thats different because it is the same fundamental argument! Its not about the $ it about what sportsman believe is right, wrong!

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Should Texas allow silencers for deer hunting?... Yes. [Re: Stub] #3115429 03/26/12 02:59 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Its ok to agree to disagree. I have shot several deer that dropped and the deer around them bolted for about 30 yards stopped looked around and then took off. And if you have paid attention to most of the last comments, its not all or mainly about the poachers, its about ones perception of hunting.

It is supposed to be about the thrill of the hunt, the excitement of the harvest of fair game! Okay lets say no one should tell another man or woman what is ethical when hunting when it comes to weapons, silencers, 50 calibers or whatever. Where do you draw the line with this mentality? Lets say someone with that train of thought says they should allow hunting with bazookas or RPG's, are you going to crawfish on that stance? And do not say thats different because it is the same fundamental argument! Its not about the $ it about what sportsman believe is right, wrong!

It's absolutely different. We're talking about shooting a deer with the exact same rifle you're using right now, just with a quieter report. You can't compare that to blowing them up with explosives. That would be wasting a game resource which is a crime.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Should Texas allow silencers for deer hunting?... Yes. [Re: dogcatcher] #3115631 03/26/12 04:52 AM
G
GuidedHunter Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
I say bring on the silencers. What will people say in the future when they want to hunt with laser guns?

Re: Should Texas allow silencers for deer hunting?... Yes. [Re: GuidedHunter] #3116665 03/26/12 05:31 PM
W
wchamilton Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: GuidedHunter
I say bring on the silencers. What will people say in the future when they want to hunt with laser guns?
Sorry buddy but I already am!! Out to about 350 yards anyhow.
Only one way to deal with some folks, outvote em. And apparently its going to happen so you all can sit around and cry in your beer about how the good ol days are gone, and nobody cares anymore about bein a sportsman.
While you load up another 257Roy and go whack one through your 12 power over corn and then load him on the back of your 4 wheeler and take him to town to get processed.

And give the meat away.

Re: Should Texas allow silencers for deer hunting?... Yes. [Re: wchamilton] #3117142 03/26/12 08:46 PM
D
Don Dial Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Guys I've run ranches and cull shot deer, and hogs,varmits,ect for yrs...My hunting Bud and I killed 5 deer in about 40mins at
one blind in Fowlerton a couple of yrs. ago...with three trophy
bucks in the feeder..He shot two with a 30-378 Wthby w/a break,
and I shot one w/a 338 Win w/a break and two w/a 22-250..the bucks never went more than 30 or 40 yds and retuned to eating corn...to the point that they were rooting at the head shot doe
near the feeder to get the corn under her..Dead Deer don't hear a
rifle....Noise Suppersors may have a place, but not usually in Texas hunting situations...and I've been hard of hearing for over
20yrs...thank you East Texas/So La. Oilfield..not the guns..DD

Re: Should Texas allow silencers for deer hunting?... Yes. [Re: wchamilton] #3117146 03/26/12 08:48 PM
D
Don Dial Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Guys I've run ranches and cull shot deer, and hogs,varmits,ect for yrs...My hunting Bud and I killed 5 deer in about 40mins at
one blind in Fowlerton a couple of yrs. ago...with three trophy
bucks in the feeder..He shot two with a 30-378 Wthby w/a break,
and I shot one w/a 338 Win w/a break and two w/a 22-250..the bucks never went more than 30 or 40 yds and returned to eating corn...to the point that they were rooting at the head shot doe
near the feeder to get the corn under her..Dead Deer don't hear a
rifle....Noise Suppressors may have a place, but not usually in Texas hunting situations...and I've been hard of hearing for over
20yrs...thank you East Texas/So La. Oilfield..not the guns..DD

Re: Should Texas allow silencers for deer hunting?... Yes. [Re: Don Dial] #3117317 03/26/12 10:01 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Well after a long hard day and a few adult beveages yesterday, my analogy might have been a little extreme. But my whole point is where do you draw the line, silencers, maybe next it will be fully automatic rifles (machine guns)? I some times feel guilty taking a 145 yard shot to my feeder at the back of my wheat field, knowing darn good and well that deer does not have a chance! Though I still get excited and if I do harvest the deer, I eat all the meat that my friends don't mooch off me!
Anyways I am through pounding on this. I firmly believe in gun owners rights, I also believe in hunting, not killing game animals!

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Should Texas allow silencers for deer hunting?... Yes. [Re: Stub] #3117511 03/26/12 11:14 PM
S
scattergun Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
If this will lead to full autos without a tax I'm all for it.

Re: Should Texas allow silencers for deer hunting?... Yes. [Re: scattergun] #3117688 03/27/12 12:12 AM
T
TxHunter18 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
My grandpa would think I was an idiot if I had to hunt with a silencer to be happy.

Re: Should Texas allow silencers for deer hunting?... Yes. [Re: Stub] #3118748 03/27/12 12:18 PM
W
wchamilton Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Well after a long hard day and a few adult beveages yesterday, my analogy might have been a little extreme. But my whole point is where do you draw the line, silencers, maybe next it will be fully automatic rifles (machine guns)? I some times feel guilty taking a 145 yard shot to my feeder at the back of my wheat field, knowing darn good and well that deer does not have a chance! Though I still get excited and if I do harvest the deer, I eat all the meat that my friends don't mooch off me!
Anyways I am through pounding on this. I firmly believe in gun owners rights, I also believe in hunting, not killing game animals!
I completely understand your thoughts and feelings about this, and actually I believe your right. It was the same feeling years ago that moved me to buy my first bow. I hunt with both now and appreciate both but in all honesty when I have a high powered rifle and a good scope in my hands there is not much hunting to it.
A 145 or even a 300 yard shot when I am sitting down and not out of breath from climbing a mountain takes pretty much all the chance out of the scenario.
They are dead, they just havent gotten the news yet.
I do not plan on using a silencer unless it was to hunt pigs with, but if I had years ago I might could still hear someone speaking when there is a tv on in the room.
I personally don't feel that they are going to lead to bizarre situations in the hunting fields.
Common sense will prevail, and Chicken Little is just going to hear a "pffffft" and be nothing more than a little cloud of feathers.

Re: Should Texas allow silencers for deer hunting?... Yes. [Re: wchamilton] #3119367 03/27/12 04:31 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Can you use a hollowed out potato for a silencer?

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Should Texas allow silencers for deer hunting?... Yes. [Re: BenBob] #3119373 03/27/12 04:32 PM
W
West Fork Armory Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: BenBob
Can you use a hollowed out potato for a silencer?
Lol, no. You will make mashed potatoes and most likely blow up your firearm.

Re: Should Texas allow silencers for deer hunting?... Yes. [Re: wchamilton] #3119381 03/27/12 04:34 PM
W
West Fork Armory Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: wchamilton
Originally Posted By: GuidedHunter
Sorry buddy but I already am!! Out to about 350 yards anyhow.
Only one way to deal with some folks, outvote em. And apparently its going to happen so you all can sit around and cry in your beer about how the good ol days are gone, and nobody cares anymore about bein a sportsman.
While you load up another 257Roy and go whack one through your 12 power over corn and then load him on the back of your 4 wheeler and take him to town to get processed.

And give the meat away.

Well said!

Re: Should Texas allow silencers for deer hunting?... Yes. [Re: West Fork Armory] #3119607 03/27/12 06:03 PM
B
BCJ Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Did high power rifles ruin hunting in Texas - nope
Did allowing compound bows ruin hunting in Texas - nope
Did allowing crossbows ruin hunting in Texas - nope
Did an early youth rifle season ruin hunting in Texas - nope
Will allowing suppressors ruin hunting in Texas - nope

Everytime there is a proposed change everyone panics and thinks it's the end of hunting as it is know and all the deer will be slaughtered and gone. Ever addition above has opened more hunting opertunities either by added more hunters or more places to hunt.
Suppressed high powered rifles are still loud and scare game, they just don't hurt your hearing and make it more enjoyable if sharing a stand with a kid or new hunter that might need some quiet coaching to make the shot.
I look forward to going squirrel hunting with the suppressed .22 and such. Will I suppress my favorite deer rifle, probably not. With I use the multiple suppressed firearms I have to hunt other things if legal - most definitly.

Most people against it are people whom don't own cans and have no dog in the fight. It's no different that the traditional archers that didn't want people with compounds hunting with them, or the compound guy not want that dang crossbows, or people whom aren't parents not wanting those kids to have a shot at a big buck a week before regular season.

Re: Should Texas allow silencers for deer hunting?... Yes. [Re: BCJ] #3119685 03/27/12 06:31 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
the best part of equipment additions is the ability of the LO to tell folks No. Honestly, the addition of ML season, crossbows, archery season, suppressors, etc haven't done much where we hunt b/c the LO won't allow it.

Re: Should Texas allow silencers for deer hunting?... Yes. [Re: BCJ] #3119697 03/27/12 06:35 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: BCJ

Most people against it are people whom don't own cans and have no dog in the fight. It's no different that the traditional archers that didn't want people with compounds hunting with them, or the compound guy not want that dang crossbows, or people whom aren't parents not wanting those kids to have a shot at a big buck a week before regular season.

PETA and the other animal rights groups will have a big say in this. I doubt if there are enough hunters that want to use the silencers to fight them. To get this done will take organization and dollars, and that organization and dollars needs to be working now, because you bet your "can" PETA has theirs working as we discuss this.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Should Texas allow silencers for deer hunting?... Yes. [Re: dogcatcher] #3120094 03/27/12 09:31 PM
W
West Fork Armory Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
PETA won't stand a chance to the NRA who is backing this proposed change. Those tree hugging hippies will have to go back to there wannabe green homes and eat all the tofu they can while crying about how bambi will get shot without a sound. Every deer I've ever shot never heard the shot until the bullet passed through already.

Re: Should Texas allow silencers for deer hunting?... Yes. [Re: dogcatcher] #3123963 03/29/12 01:43 PM
T
TheCracker Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
There is a lot of examples of good ole human nature here! People scared of what they dont know about and jumping to conclusions. People by nature are scared of change!

I'm 100% for it! If I would like to protect my hearing without wearing ear plugs then it should be my choice. All these comments about poachers coming out of the woodworks is totally unfounded. I guess all Bow Hunters are poachers also? THey have a truely silent weapon but that doesnt mean they are poachers since noone will hear them shoot.

Due to my job, being artound loud noises shooting high caliber deer rifles without hearing protection while hunting i have tinnitus. My ears ring ALL THE TIME. It dosent bother me somuch anymore but I have not heard dead silence for the last 3-4 years.So now while hunting I wear earplugs places in my ears but not seated. If I have the time to push them in to keep it from getting worse I do. When they do legalize them ill be buying one to protect myself.

When I think about taking my kids hunting, Supressors make PERFECT sense!

Last edited by TheCracker; 03/29/12 01:46 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide