Print Thread
need help with food plot #3055794 03/01/12 01:39 PM
K
KOP Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
K
I want to plant a food plot for deer this spring, summer, and fall but have no idea what to plant or were to get the seed. I hunt in montgomery county. Can any one give me some ideas. Would the agg extension be able to help? Can you get help from A and M college?

I caint spel so good. Git off mi bak
Re: need help with food plot [Re: KOP] #3055973 03/01/12 02:42 PM
S
Stevarino Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
1. Research- popluation, size of land, hunting or not hunting over in the fall
2. Soil sample- will save you money when it comes to adding lime for your ph level, fertilizer, and seed
3. Lab Lab seems to be a forum favorite for the drought we have been facing. Hoping to plant mid March or early April after last frost (which is probably now since we are suppose to hit 80 today)
4. Most of your feedstores will supply some type of seed, but can also pick up at Academy, Cabela's, basspro, ect.. or online
5. If you have cows, hogs, or a good deer population, look into an easy elect fence to allow good root development before allowing grazing.

Peronally, i've never had much luck with Spring plots, so if nothing else, or if your main goal is to hunt over, it may just be worth your while to break the soil up and bank water over the spring/summer for a fall plot if you are wanting to use as an attractant. If you have more focus on providing a supplement to your deer heard, really think about your numbers, land size, pressure around you and if others hunting with or around you are following similar plans. To me, if you are the only one doing to provide additional nutrition and no one else around is doing it, you are probably wasting time and money for a spring plot.

Re: need help with food plot [Re: Stevarino] #3055985 03/01/12 02:45 PM
S
Stevarino Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Also, just ask the local feedstore, or farmers in the area of what times they plant and if they have any ideas based on the soil in your area.

Re: need help with food plot [Re: Stevarino] #3056380 03/01/12 05:16 PM
C
caldwelldeerhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: Stevarino
Also, just ask the local feedstore, or farmers in the area of what times they plant and if they have any ideas based on the soil in your area.

x2 They will know what grows in the area and when to start it

If I put my wife in a high fence will her rack get bigger?
[Linked Image]
Re: need help with food plot [Re: caldwelldeerhunter] #3056497 03/01/12 06:18 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter
Originally Posted By: Stevarino

x2 They will know what grows in the area and when to start it

+3. Call Conroe Feeder's Supply and ask Bill Bergfeld what he recommends for Montgomery County.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: need help with food plot [Re: dawaba] #3056587 03/01/12 07:09 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
March is here. Good time to get a jump on it. I've been planning since January and almost can't stand the wait. Had oats all winter and the deer kept them down. Breaking ground this weekend and hoping it rains.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: need help with food plot [Re: hook_n_line] #3063278 03/04/12 09:51 PM
S
Someone Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
the TAMU soil lab is a very good lab, but you can also get very good service and also a possibly faster turn around time if you are in a hurry

http://ag.sfasu.edu/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=12&Itemid=51

you might also email the East Texas Plant Material Center

they will probably be slow to reply because they have a small staff, but MANY years ago when I was on a tour of it there was a particular plant they were going to work with Dr. Kroll on because they flat could not keep the deer out of it no matter what they tried.....the deer would go right past everything, bust up their fences, and go right to that plant and eat all they could get....I wish I could remember what it was, but they will probably know what one it is...probably still having the same issue.....you could see just from looking the deer were ravaging it

http://plant-materials.nrcs.usda.gov/etpmc/

there are links on the left with plant releases and some other links with info on how to prep soils ect.

Re: need help with food plot [Re: Someone] #3064447 03/05/12 01:47 PM
K
KOP Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
K
Thanks for the help. I have 14 acres that I hunt on and it is surrounded by subdivisions. I have it pretty good. I am looking to increas the neutrition since there are so many deer on my property.

Re: need help with food plot [Re: KOP] #3068234 03/06/12 04:40 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Plant some rose bushes. Ask the neighbors what plants the deer eat out of the flower beds the most. lol... Just kidding. Plant some peas or beans, something that will grow fast and can be grazed hard. Subdivision deer will put a lot of pressure on the foods they like the most.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: need help with food plot [Re: hook_n_line] #3068288 03/06/12 05:01 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
In montgomery co. i would plant cow or clay peas with some clover. you can get a spring mix from a local feed store but really you would be getting some off seed that prolly wouldnt take... Get your soil samples and send it in with what your planning to plant and it will give you something good to go off of and let you know what to fertalize with. If you have a disc it would ge a good thing to get that soil broken up and then drag over it once you have the seed out...if you dnt have a drag you can just set the disc blades down just enough to drag the top of the soil and it will flip it over for you. just dont let it did to deep. that seed needs to stay above an inch

Re: need help with food plot [Re: Navasot] #3095928 03/17/12 08:03 PM
K
KOP Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
K
I think I am going to go with biologic bio mass. any one else ever plant this stuff?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide