Print Thread
good camping recipes? #3073294 03/08/12 05:23 AM
H
Hooligan Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Going camping with the lady and a couple other friends next week and looking for some ideas on what to cook. We are only gonna camp for 2 days and it is not a full kitchen like a hunting camp or anything so hoping for some more simple recipes.

Whatcha got THF?

Militavi Non Sine Gloria
Re: good camping recipes? [Re: Hooligan] #3073471 03/08/12 12:35 PM
T
twinbubba Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
A pork tenderloin cooked over campfire coals is always one of our favorites. Dutch oven bisquits, gravy and venison sausage ain't too shabby either.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, 09 Yamaha Rhino 450 Camo,
Re: good camping recipes? [Re: twinbubba] #3073609 03/08/12 02:02 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Center cut ham steak is one of the most overlooked.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: good camping recipes? [Re: bill oxner] #3073751 03/08/12 02:49 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
If you have a dutch oven and and some cast iron pans then all you need is some charcoal and you pretty much have a full kitchen.

You can make stew, soup, chilli, cake, corn bread biscuits, cobler, pretty much anything you can cook on a stove or bake in an oven.

Personaly I would do some steaks and baked taters provided you have a pit or can make a grate over fire, and a cobler in duch oven for desert. Breakfast we always make biscuits, fry eggs and bacon add a slice of cheese and you have home made and much tastier egg mcmuffin.

Alot depends on how simple a taste you and your camping group have, I love cooking, but will also be just fine with pb&j and hot dogs too.

matt

It's hell eatin em live
Re: good camping recipes? [Re: redchevy] #3074250 03/08/12 05:11 PM
B
boliverpete Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Hobo dinners are hard to beat!!

Re: good camping recipes? [Re: boliverpete] #3074269 03/08/12 05:17 PM
H
Hooligan Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Hobo dinner as in beans?

I don't have a dutch oven yet but will bring a couple skillets. I like the idea of pork tenderloin and the ham steak for breakfast. I guess I should ask the girls what they're gonna be willing to eat because I'd be just as happy frying up some crappie or eating pb&j if we get skunked but I don't know they're in the same boat

Militavi Non Sine Gloria
Re: good camping recipes? [Re: Hooligan] #3074310 03/08/12 05:31 PM
jeh7mmmag Online Happy
gramps
Online Happy
gramps
Fun for all and great clean up. Meal, bag charcoal, and some foil.

2 layer of foil, Cabbage, hamburger meat, sliced potato'sos onions, corn, carrots, mushrooms, peas. beans.....Let each load their own meals. Pile the charcoal up to light, then break into flats for cooking.
Hobo -Foil cooking

http://macscouter.com/cooking/FoilCooking.asp

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: good camping recipes? [Re: jeh7mmmag] #3075538 03/09/12 12:05 AM
J
Jayrod Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I would do some campfire omelets for breakfast. I'll take my eggs and whatever else you decide to put in the omelet, and pre-mix them in foodsaver bags. At camp you just boil some water and drop the bags right in. After they're cooked, cut open the bags and breakfast is served.

Nature without man is unnatural
Re: good camping recipes? [Re: Jayrod] #3075595 03/09/12 12:26 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I really like making what I call "Camp Food", it's real simple.
Use two layers of aluminum foil, lay out flat & tightly fold the ends. Dump a pack of already cut up beef stew meat onto the foil, (you can use pork, venison, whatever you like). Cube up some golden potatoes & layer those on top of the meat. Chop 1 large sweet Texas onion & layer on top of that. Then add some minced garlic, & slice up 1 or 2 serrano peppers if you like a little heat, (I do). Add some Tony's or Slap Yo Mama's, then dump a large can of Bush's baked beans on top of everything. Fold the ends of the foil up & make sure you seal it well. Throw it on the pit/grill/grate over campfire/whatever you have available & let it cook slow.....normally let it go for 3 or 4 hours while I'm out doing something else. Spoon your portions & make sure you get some of the juice, hmn hmn good stuff & easy to do....that be camp food food

Re: good camping recipes? [Re: skinnerback] #3076502 03/09/12 08:13 AM
B
blancobuster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Use two layers of aluminum foil, lay out flat & tightly fold the ends. Dump a pack of already cut up beef stew meat onto the foil, (you can use pork, venison, whatever you like). Cube up some golden potatoes & layer those on top of the meat. Chop 1 large sweet Texas onion & layer on top of that. Then add some minced garlic, & slice up 1 or 2 serrano peppers if you like a little heat, (I do). Add some Tony's or Slap Yo Mama's, then dump a large can of Bush's baked beans on top of everything. Fold the ends of the foil up & make sure you seal it well. Throw it on the pit/grill/grate over campfire/whatever you have available & let it cook slow.....normally let it go for 3 or 4 hours while I'm out doing something else. Spoon your portions & make sure you get some of the juice, hmn hmn good stuff & easy to do....that be camp food food

that sounds awesome, I love me some bushs best! I like the Texas ranchero grillin beans the best

Re: good camping recipes? [Re: blancobuster] #3076585 03/09/12 12:42 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: blancobuster
Originally Posted By: skinnerback

that sounds awesome, I love me some bushs best! I like the Texas ranchero grillin beans the best

up

Re: good camping recipes? [Re: skinnerback] #3082346 03/11/12 09:59 PM
M
Medinabuck Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
I do something similar except rather than using sheets of aluminum foil, I use tin foil roasting pans. I dump (layer) everything in, wrap with foil, and slow cook. The size of the foil roaster that I use, depends on the number of folks we have at camp at the time. And usually they are re-usable.

Re: good camping recipes? [Re: Medinabuck] #3088377 03/14/12 01:13 PM
janie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Foil packs are the way to go. Do all the prep work at home. Usually I'll cut up some ribeye's, slice up a few sweet tater's and add some seasoning (Tony's is a favorite) along with butter, onion and mushrooms.

Wrap it up tight in both ends of the foil and throw it in your cooler. When it's time to eat, we'll normally just set the packs on the outside ring of the campfire for about an hour.

It cooks while you get to goof off and tastes darn good. The other beauty part, if it should come a gully washer, you can place these on a hot manifold and get almost the same results.

He is your friend defender your dog. Be worthy of such devotion

[Linked Image]
Re: good camping recipes? [Re: janie] #3088819 03/14/12 04:09 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Beans and brisket. I usuually get out the woods a day earlier than everybody. I'll throw on a brisket and a pot of Boracho beans. Beans, tomatoes, onions, garlic, serano peppers, cilantro, and a big hunk of salt bacon. 3 1/2 hrs. the brisket is rubbed down with a little bit of everything and smoked for around 11-14 hours. When everybody shows up its thier own fault if they get hungry.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: good camping recipes? [Re: Hooligan] #3088961 03/14/12 05:23 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
for campfire cooking I cook a lot in foil with salt, pepper, butter and garlic.
potatos, carrots and deer meat was my first recipe many years ago.

now days I do squash, onions
or
mushrooms and onions

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide