Forums46
Topics538,883
Posts9,742,580
Members87,123
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: East texas deer hunter] #3061553 03/03/12 09:31 PM
L
LG Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: East texas deer hunter
If you can catch one with tracking collered take the coller off. The owner will find you.

Thats great idea!

Never look a monkey in the eye
Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: LG] #3063466 03/05/12 12:01 AM
U
udamdan Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
I know what we would do rifle

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: Smith#34] #3072086 03/07/12 09:52 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Dog owners need to be more responsible of their dogs or become a responsible individual to begin with.

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: Smith#34] #3072114 03/07/12 10:01 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Smith#34
Originally Posted By: passthru
I would think that if these hunters actually cared about the safety of their dogs they wouldn't turn them lose to run on property they are trespassing on.
When I turn my dogs loose it is on my land, public woods, or land I have permission on, and about one out of every five times they cross on to someone elses land. Now how am I supposed to keep them from doing this?

It's called thorough training and teaching them not to do so.

You should be extra glad you do not live close to where I do.

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: Smith#34] #3072134 03/07/12 10:08 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Well this type of hunting isn't going anywhere. And my dogs don't disturb deer hunters seeing that I hunt at night and if you are hog hunting at night and they accidently get on your place, they aren't disturbing you because they won't run h

True, they get on my land either at night or day, they won't be running any longer.

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: kyotee1] #3072137 03/07/12 10:09 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: kyotee1
I would think that if these hunters actually cared about the safety of their dogs they wouldn't turn them lose to run on property they are trespassing on.
When I turn my dogs loose it is on my land, public woods, or land I have permission on, and about one out of every five times they cross on to someone elses land. Now how am I supposed to keep them from doing this?

popcorn

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: Letemwalk140] #3072187 03/07/12 10:25 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Letemwalk140
I'd hate to know I shared a border with a person that knowingly keeps out poison that could kill someones very expensive dog that may have just broke his chain or inadvertantly got off his chain. You would have a difficult time around here.

My land is under Wildlife Management and one of the goals of it is predator control which I am state licensed and certified to use M-44's for coyote and feral dog control. So before you think I am doing it only to keep dogs off my land, you're entirely mistaken and further from the truth!

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: kyotee1] #3072861 03/08/12 02:45 AM
B
billy gordon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I run hog dogs and have for around 15 years.Yes my dogs will stay with a hog if it runs and go to other properties.I get calls all the time asking me to get the hogs off someones land,my first question is How much land do you have?Second question is How do your neighbors feel about running dogs?Then i go check the land out and talk with owners of ajoining properties and make sure i have their ok with it.My dogs dont chase livestock or deer and if my dogs cross where i dont have permission i go and get permission or call the game warden.Thats how a responsible hog dogger should do i feel.I also never hog hunt during deer season.I deer hunt also.

Billy Gordon
Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: billy gordon] #3072924 03/08/12 03:06 AM
T
toolman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
^Thank you.

Old age ain't for sissies!

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: kyotee1] #3072988 03/08/12 03:22 AM
S
SwampHunterFw Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I'd hate to know I shared a border with a person that knowingly keeps out poison that could kill someones very expensive dog that may have just broke his chain or inadvertantly got off his chain. You would have a difficult time around here.

My land is under Wildlife Management and one of the goals of it is predator control which I am state licensed and certified to use M-44's for coyote and feral dog control. So before you think I am doing it only to keep dogs off my land, you're entirely mistaken and further from the truth!

key words feral dogs , dogs with mulitpule collars or vest = non feral dogs

i have been thinking about getting my dogs temperment test like theydo with service dogs so if some body shoots it saying it was aggressiv which i know its not i can have something to stand on ,

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: billy gordon] #3073136 03/08/12 04:07 AM
M
M Bennet Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: billy gordon
I run hog dogs and have for around 15 years.Yes my dogs will stay with a hog if it runs and go to other properties.I get calls all the time asking me to get the hogs off someones land,my first question is How much land do you have?Second question is How do your neighbors feel about running dogs?Then i go check the land out and talk with owners of ajoining properties and make sure i have their ok with it.My dogs dont chase livestock or deer and if my dogs cross where i dont have permission i go and get permission or call the game warden.Thats how a responsible hog dogger should do i feel.I also never hog hunt during deer season.I deer hunt also.

i care more about my dogs to just turn them loose where they may get shot. catch the dogs that come on yur place and call the gw or sherriffe. in the state of tx you just cant shoot a dog. its a felony . when the owner comes he will most likely get a tickett or jail. its not the dogs fault.......

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: M Bennet] #3073183 03/08/12 04:25 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: M Bennet
Originally Posted By: billy gordon

i care more about my dogs to just turn them loose where they may get shot. catch the dogs that come on yur place and call the gw or sherriffe. in the state of tx you just cant shoot a dog. its a felony . when the owner comes he will most likely get a tickett or jail. its not the dogs fault.......

It is illegal to shoot a dog just because it is on your land. But, if it chases any livestock or shows the least amount of aggression, it becomes legal. When it is the dog owners word (who more than likely wasn't there) against the landowners word...9 times out of ten the land owner is going to win.

Anyone can say that their dog wouldnt chase a cow, chicken, goat, whatever. Anyone can say their dog isn't aggressive. I can assure you temperament testing won't do much either. There are too many cases of the dog that "wouldn't bite a biscuit" tearing up a kid or mauling another animal.

Think of it this way. Your hog dogs are trained to track, hold and fight a feral pig. Plenty of tv shows right now showing the general public how ferocious a pig is, and your dog has the mentality to fight one.

Now, go into court and convince a jury of your non-hunting peers that that dog trained to track and attack a ferocious animal 2 or 3 times his body weight is not a threat to any human or livestock. You are going to have a difficult case to prove.

Also, putting out poison on your own property for the purpose of varmint control is perfectly legal. The same law that states you can't shoot a dog on your property without cause also states it is the dog owners responsibility to keep the dog off other peoples property. No liability for the person that has the poison on his land, except he has to post notifications.

I do not condone shooting dogs at all and do not blame the dog. It is soley on the owner and they should be held responsible for their disregard of property rights and fences. Accidents do happen and dogs can get away further than expected, but the mentality of some of these posts shows that some people believe they have every right to cross any fence and run their dogs without regards to others.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: txshntr] #3073288 03/08/12 05:18 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
The simple solution is to procure enough land to run them, either through $ or permission, without having to worry about them crossing a boundary. It's just a matter of being respectful.

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: txshntr] #3073296 03/08/12 05:24 AM
W
wchamilton Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
I hate to shoot dogs, but have shota lot of them in my life.
We raise cattle on a couple thousand acres and my wife likes to go for walks in the evening with our son in a stroller, and I like to know that she is safe.
If I see your dog on here he better have something on him that makes him look like a hunting dog gone astray, and he better not show even the slightest agression towards anything around him.
If it is obvious he just got lost and is someones hunting dog I will show him some mercy and catch him if I can, or just put a bullet behind his tail to hurry him on his way.
The second time he shows up, or if as stated he shows the slightest aggression there is no more grace period.
If someone has a problem with that I am not real concerned.

America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe
Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: wchamilton] #3073342 03/08/12 06:13 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: wchamilton
I hate to shoot dogs, but have shota lot of them in my life.
We raise cattle on a couple thousand acres and my wife likes to go for walks in the evening with our son in a stroller, and I like to know that she is safe.
If I see your dog on here he better have something on him that makes him look like a hunting dog gone astray, and he better not show even the slightest agression towards anything around him.
If it is obvious he just got lost and is someones hunting dog I will show him some mercy and catch him if I can, or just put a bullet behind his tail to hurry him on his way.
The second time he shows up, or if as stated he shows the slightest aggression there is no more grace period.
If someone has a problem with that I am not real concerned.

I feel you, I tolerate no dog aggression towards people or livestock. If that happens they take a dirt nap.

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: SwampHunterFw] #3074204 03/08/12 05:00 PM
T
talkturkey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: SwampHunterFw

key words feral dogs , dogs with mulitpule collars or vest = non feral dogs

HAHA, since dogs can't read the no tespassing signs, I guess it's this landowners responsibibility to only buy the M-44's that strictly work against coyote and feral dogs and please don't buy the ones that work on NON feral dogs. geeze

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: talkturkey] #3074360 03/08/12 05:49 PM
W
wchamilton Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
There are A-hole landowners and there are slob dog hunters.
It is unfortunate any time a dog has to pay the price for a persons lack of responsibility.
If someone will show some respect and consideration and contact me that they might have a dog get over on us they will get a lot of consideration back.
Have had a few idiots tell me what they would do to me if I ever shot one of their dogs.
They might as well have painted a target on em, that simply does not work worth a hoot with some folks.

America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe
Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: East texas deer hunter] #3074515 03/08/12 06:52 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: East texas deer hunter
If you can catch one with tracking collered take the coller off. The owner will find you.

This or keep the dog and all

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #3074959 03/08/12 09:14 PM
T
Texas Heat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Shoot, shovel, shut up.

I am the anti hog dogger.

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: SwampHunterFw] #3133998 04/03/12 04:28 AM
G
Greenheadless Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
S.S.S. as well.

We shoot ALL coyotes on our property and coyotes sometimes wear dog collars. wink

Last edited by Greenheadless; 04/03/12 04:59 AM.

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: Greenheadless] #3134696 04/03/12 03:49 PM
L
Lipan Creep Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
Not a fan of hunting with dogs. Whether it be hogs, coons, quail, ducks, or dove. Just seems lazy to me. Takes the fun out of it.

However, if it's legal I see nothing wrong with people doing it. Just not my cup of tea.

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: kyotee1] #3135647 04/03/12 10:54 PM
S
Smith#34 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S

No, you should be glad I don't live close to where you do.

Thermal Hog Hunting
Nightshiftoutfitters.com

Brent Smith
(903)449-3923
Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: Lipan Creep] #3135721 04/03/12 11:26 PM
S
SwampHunterFw Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Joseph
Not a fan of hunting with dogs. Whether it be hogs, coons, quail, ducks, or dove. Just seems lazy to me. Takes the fun out of it.

However, if it's legal I see nothing wrong with people doing it. Just not my cup of tea.

you my friend are wrong its far from lazy , more work then sitting in a blind shooting deer , you ever traveled 20 miles on foot in a night ? i have all to catch one hog with dogs tell me how that is lazy ? an it is more fun , saturday night caught 4 hogs in about 30 mins an covered about 2 or 3 miles swam a creek 2 times an went down 75 ft cliff an tied 3 hogs n killed one , so if thats what you call lazy then i donno whats not lazy

Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: SwampHunterFw] #3135764 04/03/12 11:49 PM
S
Smith#34 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S

you my friend are wrong its far from lazy , more work then sitting in a blind shooting deer , you ever traveled 20 miles on foot in a night ? i have all to catch one hog with dogs tell me how that is lazy ? an it is more fun , saturday night caught 4 hogs in about 30 mins an covered about 2 or 3 miles swam a creek 2 times an went down 75 ft cliff an tied 3 hogs n killed one , so if thats what you call lazy then i donno whats not lazy

Yea thats true. I can't speak for hog hunting but I know that coon hunting is far from it. I think he was referring to duck and dove though.

Thermal Hog Hunting
Nightshiftoutfitters.com

Brent Smith
(903)449-3923
Re: What do I do about these damn dogs!!!!! [Re: SwampHunterFw] #3135783 04/03/12 11:56 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

20 miles is a long ways...either have a ton of land, ran in circles or went across some fences

popcorn

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide