Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: just a little rant on meat hunters [Re: DTCOOPER] #303037 01/24/08 09:18 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
Okay - just thought I'd throw that out there...

I've tried to keep my eye on the NRA ever since this happened last year. I bet if they would have had to explain to its members what they would gain by working with McCarthy, it would have been rejected - because they couldn't explain that kind of move away.

But, I'll let it go. And, yes, Grillas do get a bad rap in NE Texas. Now the DPS wants me to wear a helmet when driving my Camaro since my pointed heads sticks thru the T-Tops...

Re: just a little rant on meat hunters [Re: DTCOOPER] #303038 01/24/08 09:21 PM
B
BamaTexan Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Well since I just spent the last 30 minutes reading all of this I figured I just had to add my 2 cents.

First of all lets keep in mind what hunting really is and how it originated.

Hunting (in my mind) is basically the pursuit of something in order to find what YOU are looking for. Hunting for a car, a house, a job, or in our case deer. So in my opinion we hunt for what WE want to hunt. We have the right to pick and choose what animal we want to harvest. Just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean you are right by the way!

Also I will go out on a limb and say hunting originated not as a sport, but as a means to put food on the table. Its not like the Indians and first settlers were able to just run to Walmart and pick up a few things. Hunting originally was meant for one purpose and one purpose only. Now do I know the ethics of hunters back then?? Of course not, but what I do know for sure is the reason that they ventured out into the woods....to put food on the table.

I consider myself to be an ethical meat hunter. I was fortunate enough to shoot a good sized doe and am now enjoying my freezer full of meat. I agree with many others that have posted in that I would shoot a trophy in a heart beat. But what may be a trophy for you is not a trophy for me. I would much rather shoot a doe than a 3-6 point. But if it comes end of the season and I have not filled a tag yet, you can bet that 3-6 point will be in my freezer.

Hope some of what I said made sense. As long as hunters are hunting for the right reason and are being ethical then who am I to say they are wrong. I may not agree with what you do, but thats okay. Thats what living in the land of the free is all about.

God bless.

Re: just a little rant on meat hunters [Re: Ringer1] #303039 01/24/08 09:25 PM
H
HunterTed Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Quote:

I think what jp is talking about are the people who hunt 30-40 days, shoot younger deer, therefore reducing the odds of produce more mature bucks.

Did you ever stop to think that some of us hunt 25 to 30 days out odf a season and never ever see a mature buck or a doe. My dad saw 2 deer all season long from bow opener to the last weekend of rifle season. Both bucks were young. Do you expect him to go home at the end of the season without anything when all he cares about is some meat in the freezer and sharing memories with his son...........

Mathews Legacy
Mathews Ovation

Square Up Archery & Lightning Bowstrings Staff Shooter
Re: just a little rant on meat hunters [Re: HunterTed] #303040 01/24/08 09:28 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
Quote:

Quote:

I think what jp is talking about are the people who hunt 30-40 days, shoot younger deer, therefore reducing the odds of produce more mature bucks.

Did you ever stop to think that some of us hunt 25 to 30 days out odf a season and never ever see a mature buck or a doe. My dad saw 2 deer all season long from bow opener to the last weekend of rifle season. Both bucks were young. Do you expect him to go home at the end of the season without anything when all he cares about is some meat in the freezer and sharing memories with his son...........

That is one example of what I'm talking about. How much did that cost in memories alone? Or does that not count anymore?

Good post, Jason

Re: just a little rant on meat hunters [Re: Big Orn] #303041 01/24/08 09:30 PM
H
HunterTed Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Well seing that even though he shot a year and a half old six point..........but it was on the weekend that his grandaughter was with us on her first deerhunt and got to experience granded shooting a deer, I'D SAY PRICELESS

Mathews Legacy
Mathews Ovation

Re: just a little rant on meat hunters [Re: HunterTed] #303042 01/24/08 09:54 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Quote:

Quote:

Of course not. I would readily defend anyones legal right to shoot the deer of their choice if it is legal and is not detrimental to the long term health of the herd. My problem comes with the ones who put down people who hunt for larger/mature bucks as unethical or less hunters than poachers. If what you have is basket rack 6 and 8 points to hunt, get what you can. I just want my choice respected as much as I respect yours. (anyones actually)

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: just a little rant on meat hunters [Re: passthru] #303043 01/24/08 09:59 PM
H
HunterTed Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Who said that shooting only large /mature bucks is unethical.........I have no problem with it at all. If you have that type of dicipline then more power to you. In fact most that know me have heard me say that my wife is a much better hunter than I am because she will actuall pass on certain bucks and wait on a buck that is on her so called hit list.

Mathews Legacy
Mathews Ovation

Re: just a little rant on meat hunters [Re: HunterTed] #303044 01/24/08 10:24 PM
N
NETxHunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Quote:

Who said that shooting only large /mature bucks is unethical.........I have no problem with it at all. If you have that type of dicipline then more power to you. In fact most that know me have heard me say that my wife is a much better hunter than I am because she will actuall pass on certain bucks and wait on a buck that is on her so called hit list.

She's got more will power than me. I shot at and missed the first legal buck I saw this year with my bow(3pt). I shot the second legal buck I saw this year(3pt). Then I shot the third legal buck I saw(3yr/6pt). I did him a favor though. He had a hole clean through his skull from fighting or something. It was a wonder that he was still alive. I saw no does what-so-ever during bowseason or during my doe days(first 2 weeks of season). But I put food in my freezer and maybe I'll see some does next year.

Re: just a little rant on meat hunters [Re: NETxHunter] #303045 01/24/08 11:38 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Not talking about what you said HT, the guy who gets physically ill when he hears antler scores was who I was replying to originally but you raised the concern about the few and smaller bucks and I was trying to communicate that I''m not against anyone except the haters.

NRA Life Member
Re: just a little rant on meat hunters [Re: passthru] #303046 01/25/08 12:02 AM
H
HunterTed Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Gotcha..........it's all good. I won't get mad at yo until AFTER you have scouted the Baker 3 for me. LMAO

Mathews Legacy
Mathews Ovation

Re: just a little rant on meat hunters [Re: HunterTed] #303047 01/25/08 02:15 AM
J
jp Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Just asking a question here so if ya say we only see a couple deer or this is all were seeing, do ya think something might be wrong with the herd management. Maybe years of over hunting? Maybe the age structure is a little immature? Like I said just a question no need to be angry. Im sorry I meet hunters every day and they all like big racks,a lot of them say they never saw a good one so I just shot a little 7 or a little 6. Guess what I dont get mad at them I tell them maybe next year.

Re: just a little rant on meat hunters [Re: jp] #303048 01/25/08 02:18 AM
H
HunterTed Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Sorry.........key word missing..........during daylight hours. Saw plenty of mature deer, just none during daylight hours.

Mathews Legacy
Mathews Ovation

Re: just a little rant on meat hunters [Re: jp] #303049 01/25/08 02:24 AM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
They made their choice. I don't like the AR's, there's no doubt. Heck, I've been wrong once before...this may be the second time. But in the two years I've seen it in Red River, Fannin, Lamar Counties....I think it stinks.

that big nice sucker redneck_mesiah killed was not a product of AR's...

Yet some think the deer were over hunted before the restrictions, when they were ONE deer counties here...so now they can hunt does and spikes and still take the good one that someone lucks into (sorry mick...)

OK, compare this...Red River County you could legally kill four deer this year, Archer County, only three...yeah, that makes sense...

Now, pick one argument and stick with it guys, was it "Age Structure" or "too many deer/habitat" or "over hunted/not enough deer"....cause they are diametrically, or, should I say triametrically opposed concepts gentlemen...

And I am not mad. I think its sad, and funny.

Re: just a little rant on meat hunters [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #303050 01/25/08 02:40 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Unfortunately it can be a case of "not one fix fits all". Poachers are a serious problem all over and probably contribute to much of the night only activity of the deer. Unfortunately the spotlight does not care if it's dark. ARs can help in some areas but in others the answer could be even more painful. I wish there were and easy answer for all us hunters and the managers of our resources but I believe they do the best they can with the giant task they have before them. No harm no foul. I think the discussions can only make us better informed and open up avenues for change. The saddest thing is that dispite our differences we need each other if our heritage is to continue as it should or go the way of the europeans hunting. "Can't we all just get along?"

NRA Life Member
Re: just a little rant on meat hunters [Re: jp] #303051 01/25/08 03:25 AM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I’m confused about this whole trophy VS meat hunter thing.

Am I a meat hunter because I like to eat venison and have killed only 3 bucks in all my years hunting.
Obviously most of what I’ve killed were doe, spike and unbranched.
Normally I take 1 deer per year, my best year I got 3, ate every bite.
Does that make me a meat hunter?

Or am I a trophy hunter because I killed a nice one once and would drop a 140”+ buck in a flash.
When I sit in a blind I’m always looking for bigger one or that buck of a lifetime.
If a big buck walks out I plan on introducing him to a bullet.
So does that make me a trophy hunter?

What confuses me is I’ll eat every bite of that big buck too.

Re: just a little rant on meat hunters [Re: Rustler] #303052 01/25/08 11:30 AM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Rustler all that makes you is the normal hunter who will kill any deer for the sport and the meat is a bonus! The horn hunters want all the rules there way and nobody kill a small buck. If i see a big buck, great but if not a smaller buck will suite me just fine. Cant have it both ways especially with these rules. I love to hunt and any deer i kill is a great memory no matter what size the horns are.

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: just a little rant on meat hunters [Re: NETxHunter] #303053 01/25/08 12:46 PM
R
Redneck_Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Quote:

Also not to offend but whats up with pinneywoods. Is it bad habbitat

I don't think pine straw or pine combs are the most preferred food of choice for deer.

Re: just a little rant on meat hunters [Re: Redneck_Hunter] #303054 01/25/08 01:09 PM
N
NETxHunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Quote:

Quote:

Also not to offend but whats up with pinneywoods. Is it bad habbitat

I don't think pine straw or pine combs are the most preferred food of choice for deer.

Put a corn feeder in the middle of a pinetree patch and it becomes deer heaven.

Re: just a little rant on meat hunters [Re: NETxHunter] #303055 01/25/08 01:22 PM
H
HunterTed Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Oh look, it's a bunch of does that you cannot shoot unless it's bow season. LOL

Mathews Legacy
Mathews Ovation

Re: just a little rant on meat hunters [Re: HunterTed] #303056 01/25/08 02:16 PM
N
NETxHunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Quote:

Oh ok here's one with some basket bucks.

Re: just a little rant on meat hunters [Re: NETxHunter] #303057 01/25/08 02:55 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Hoytman,
That’s just it I don’t kill just “any deer for the sport” whether for meat or antlers.

NETxhunter,
Beautiful country nice pictures, you’re a lucky guy.
A person unfamiliar with hunting in that area could suppose if AR is or will be in that county only 1 legal deer is seen visiting that feeder in 4 day’s worth of pictures.

If you weren’t there on that day or shared the property with 2 or 3 other hunters you may be out of luck.

Re: just a little rant on meat hunters [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #303058 01/25/08 09:01 PM
R
RedRiverHogSniper Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R

Re: just a little rant on meat hunters [Re: RedRiverHogSniper] #303059 01/26/08 04:10 AM
R
Redneck Messiah Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
that big nice sucker redneck_mesiah killed was not a product of AR's...

Yet some think the deer were over hunted before the restrictions, when they were ONE deer counties here...so now they can hunt does and spikes and still take the good one that someone lucks into (sorry mick...)
HEY WHADDYA YA MEAN "LUCK INTO"!!!!......... It takes years of finely honed senses, to be able to sleep lightly enough in a blind, to hear the deer creeping thru the woods on a windy day from 112 yards away, and wake up precicely the right moment, so he thinks he's still safe, to make the kill shot!!!!
Thats pure apex predator hunter instinct!!!

Originally Posted By: cody
...give it to a homeless guy...he won't mind the stiffness
Re: just a little rant on meat hunters [Re: NETxHunter] #303060 01/26/08 04:10 AM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Quote:

Quote:

Oh ok here's one with some basket bucks.

OK, he might be legal, or is he, yes he's good, no wait, let me see, outside the ears, or is he, yeah, outside the ears, the base of the ears or the tips?, or inside spread or outside, or, damng if he ain't the biggest buck we've seen all year, no, my family ain't starving, but we'd like some deer meat, but I can't afford a ticket, don't want to do anything wrong, I'll take him, but will my buddies on the THF ridicule me?....dangmn there he goes....got to buy more scent spray...

Re: just a little rant on meat hunters [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #303061 01/26/08 11:17 AM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
LMAO Good'un Vernon

Know what's just as funny? 13 inches. Yeah, 13 inches, not 12 or 14, but 13.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide