palestine #3006936 02/12/12 05:38 AM
B
big-tex Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Anyone hunting hogs in the area?

I scouted property last weekend and came up on hogs about 5 pm in 2 spots just by pure luck with no feeders set up.
This weekend I set up feeders and waiting for pigs to find corn.

When quality counts!!!!!
http://texascamo.tk
Re: palestine [Re: big-tex] #3007062 02/12/12 06:50 AM
T
ttxsmith04 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
i work with a few guys that have hunted and do hunt around in that area, there are hogs but you can be on the wrong side of the street, or they could move, just never know. but thats everywhere

Re: palestine [Re: big-tex] #3007064 02/12/12 06:52 AM
J
JThoele Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
J
I leased a place inbetween Montalba and Palestine and it had plenty of hogs...neighbors started trapping and there went all but a few lone boars. Put out corn and your likely to have a few come in.

Re: palestine [Re: JThoele] #3008086 02/12/12 08:05 PM
B
big-tex Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
I think that there are still plenty of em there, couse place is torn up, rooted areas as size of football field and there are several areas like that.

Will see what I come up with after viewing pics on trail cam

When quality counts!!!!!
Re: palestine [Re: big-tex] #3010211 02/13/12 03:31 PM
M
mikey1313 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
i was down 287 between tennesee colony and palestine last wednesday and say a small group of sows on the side of the road. Really wanted to get out an shoot em since i had a rifle with me but decided against it. im still looking for somewhere besides public land to hunt pigs. so if anyone knows of somewhere or wants to barter some labor for hunting im in. Oh and im a plumber and hunting bud is a certified mechanic

Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back everything is different.

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Re: palestine [Re: mikey1313] #3011706 02/14/12 12:15 AM
D
Dink Dodger Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
My dad had a small piece of property at Cayuga and we were covered up with them. His place was about 1/2 mile from the Trinity. When the river was up you could have gone down there with a baseball bat and filled a dump truck.

I miss that place

Re: palestine [Re: Dink Dodger] #3012083 02/14/12 02:07 AM
B
big-tex Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
I was sent by my company there today so I went by and checked my trail cam. So far no hogs.

When quality counts!!!!!
Re: palestine [Re: big-tex] #3044940 02/26/12 12:09 AM
T
tperry Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted By: big-tex
Anyone hunting hogs in the area?

I scouted property last weekend and came up on hogs about 5 pm in 2 spots just by pure luck with no feeders set up.
This weekend I set up feeders and waiting for pigs to find corn.

My wife drives from Palestine to Corsicana every weekday (normally in the Cayuga - Trinity river area about daylight) and she regularly sees hogs along the side of the road (both alive and roadkill). Coming back during the dusk hours she also sees them in the same area. I know that they are abundant along the lands along the Trinity river (I used to work for TDCJ and regularly hunted on the Coffield or Michael unit bottoms) and we killed LOTS of hogs there.
I also have some friends in the Neches area that they and their neighbors are getting 'et up by hogs on the property, as well as some other people around Red Town and Alderbranch. I just got some new muzzle loaders in and once I get them sighted in I plan on doing my part in limiting the Anderson County hog population! grin

Re: palestine [Re: mikey1313] #3051218 02/28/12 05:37 PM
T
tperry Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted By: mikey likes it
i was down 287 between tennesee colony and palestine last wednesday and say a small group of sows on the side of the road. Really wanted to get out an shoot em since i had a rifle with me but decided against it. im still looking for somewhere besides public land to hunt pigs. so if anyone knows of somewhere or wants to barter some labor for hunting im in. Oh and im a plumber and hunting bud is a certified mechanic

I know that you said you did not want to hunt public land, but yesterday I was scouting the area from 645 to 287 to see if I could find any places that had evidence of hogs (and yes, I did, but they already had leased the land for hunting). I was passing the Gus Engling wildlife preserve and saw one of the workers (biologist) in the drive and stopped to chat him up. He said they do have quite a few hogs running on the land and they love to see hunters come in to kill them as they are destructive and damage the area for the deer, turkey, etc. All it takes is your hunting license and an APH and you drive up to the little shack at the entrance and sign in and go hunt. I plan on doing it myself, even with having places available to go as I have squirrel hunted it as a kid and know most of the "good" places to go.

Re: palestine [Re: tperry] #3051253 02/28/12 05:57 PM
M
mikey1313 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: tperry
Originally Posted By: mikey likes it

I know that you said you did not want to hunt public land, but yesterday I was scouting the area from 645 to 287 to see if I could find any places that had evidence of hogs (and yes, I did, but they already had leased the land for hunting). I was passing the Gus Engling wildlife preserve and saw one of the workers (biologist) in the drive and stopped to chat him up. He said they do have quite a few hogs running on the land and they love to see hunters come in to kill them as they are destructive and damage the area for the deer, turkey, etc. All it takes is your hunting license and an APH and you drive up to the little shack at the entrance and sign in and go hunt. I plan on doing it myself, even with having places available to go as I have squirrel hunted it as a kid and know most of the "good" places to go.

well i do have my my public license but for the last month everywhere has been flooded so i havent even tried to scout anything, hopefully soon

Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back everything is different.

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Re: palestine [Re: mikey1313] #3051262 02/28/12 06:00 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Find a creek bottom and you got pigs...palastine/elkhart area is loaded wit pigs

Re: palestine [Re: Navasot] #3052360 02/29/12 02:02 AM
T
tperry Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted By: Navasotbred
Find a creek bottom and you got pigs...palastine/elkhart area is loaded wit pigs

Yep, if you go through the Gus Engling main part your will eventually come to a blacktop road, turn right and there is a day camp on the left. Just start trekking through the woods to the right behind the day camp and you will end up in some REALLY great bottoms with creeks running through. Every time we went squirrel hunting we would limit out and we always saw hogs.

Re: palestine [Re: tperry] #3052398 02/29/12 02:16 AM
C
cleatas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
i work in cayuga and we are freakin covered up with pigs during all hours of the day.....cant have firearms at the plant so we just watch em grow and multiply, its a safe haven.

''Tis better to be silent and be THOUGHT a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide