Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sierra, I'm calling BS #3001188 02/09/12 11:26 PM
S
scattergun Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
S
I have Version II and a Version V of the reloading manual. (Yes I've been loading a long time) Manual II shows a TWO grain difference in the max load on the caliber I was looking up with the II being higher. Called them today and they said the component (powder) had changed that much between the two manuals. The powder has been made for 70 years and I think the only thing that has changed is the litigation. They assured me that had nothing to do with the change. I'm calling bs on that. I'm going by the older manual and using the usual precaution on pressure signs. Your thoughts........

Re: Sierra, I'm calling BS [Re: scattergun] #3001256 02/09/12 11:46 PM
F
Fatalwishes' Wife Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
I would have to agree with Sierra. Remember when Winchester would hand out those pamphlets every year? You could pick them up at your local supply store?

I saw 231 for the 9mm go from 5.3 grns for a 115grn round nose to 4.8 back to 5.0 in as many pamphlets.

Lots do change from time to time. They have gotten better over the years but it was not unusual to vary a bit. When I was reloading in the 80's I learned about that.

I'm curious what powder you are talking about.

I threw out all my old powder booklets. I knew I'd regret it one day. I had stacks of them over the years. I can't speak for all powders but I know 231 changed. I beat a SW915 all to hell and gone with 5.2 grains of 231 back in the early 90s and got the new load book and it had been dropped to 4.8. That's a big differnce in that powder for max load. That was years ago...I bought that pistol at Walmart if that tells you anything.

There is a reason there are lot numbers on powder cans. They cannot make powder excactly the same lot to lot but they do a lot better now than they did 30 years ago.

Re: Sierra, I'm calling BS [Re: Fatalwishes' Wife] #3001294 02/09/12 11:56 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I would be very cautious about disregarding newer data. I used to load 18.0 grains of [old] 2400 under my 220-grain cast bullets in .41 Mag, but that is said to be quite a bit too hot with today's 2400. Once I shoot up this last batch of .41 Mag I loaded with 2400 from the early 90s, I'll have to go back to the drawing board and work up that load again with my new keg of 2400.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Sierra, I'm calling BS [Re: RiverRider] #3001310 02/10/12 12:02 AM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I have found lots of contradictory load data over the years for the same bullet and powder combo. As much as 2 or 3 grains difference between what the powder make and bullet maker say.

matt

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Sierra, I'm calling BS [Re: redchevy] #3001319 02/10/12 12:05 AM
J
jbd76266 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Just curious...what do they list as the test gun then and the test gun now?

Re: Sierra, I'm calling BS [Re: jbd76266] #3001471 02/10/12 12:49 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
They are only rough guidelines.

A 175 SMK with 43.5 Varget is the absolute edge in one of my 308's and way low pressure in another.

Re: Sierra, I'm calling BS [Re: scattergun] #3001534 02/10/12 01:11 AM
RKHarm24 Offline
sergeant
sergeant
Originally Posted By: scattergun
I have Version II and a Version V of the reloading manual. (Yes I've been loading a long time) Manual II shows a TWO grain difference in the max load on the caliber I was looking up with the II being higher. Called them today and they said the component (powder) had changed that much between the two manuals. The powder has been made for 70 years and I think the only thing that has changed is the litigation. They assured me that had nothing to do with the change. I'm calling bs on that. I'm going by the older manual and using the usual precaution on pressure signs. Your thoughts........

Where do we send flowers?

Re: Sierra, I'm calling BS [Re: RKHarm24] #3001607 02/10/12 01:39 AM
R
RDub270 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Handloading is all about following the safety manual. Old manuals use old components, new manuals use new components. Safe handloads are those that produce safe pressures. Without pressure testing equipment for use on our own guns, we rely on the safety manuals to guide us.

Re: Sierra, I'm calling BS [Re: RDub270] #3001670 02/10/12 01:57 AM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Our number one survival tool is what's between our ears. My Hornady manual says I can load up to 45.5 grains of H4831 under a 100-grain bullet for .243, but that's probably a 70,000 psi (or more!) load in my rifle. Max for me is about 42.5 grains. Loading manuals guide us, but once you sit down behind the press you are on your own!

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Sierra, I'm calling BS [Re: RiverRider] #3001766 02/10/12 02:18 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Don't have my Sierra manual in front of me. What does it show as max charge for 175 SMK being pushed by H-Varget? Hogdon shows 45.0 gr as max I'm pretty sure Sierra is significantly more conservative.

My charge is 44.8 gr and it runs fine. Just another example of the necessity of gathering as much data as possible.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Sierra, I'm calling BS [Re: J.G.] #3002529 02/10/12 01:07 PM
V
Vern1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
My family has been reloading for years.
My brother passed away 10 years ago.
My Nephew pulled out some of my his load data from 20+ years ago because he wants to start reloading.
Comparing the his old data to the data available today, seems his old loads were "way hot" so to be safe, we pulled a few bullets to look.
The powder looked different, even tho it has the same number as current powder.

Hogdon said it was because the powder got better.
Better purity, better chemicals, better mix and more dense so it takes less powder to do the same job.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Sierra, I'm calling BS [Re: J.G.] #3002747 02/10/12 02:35 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Don't have my Sierra manual in front of me. What does it show as max charge for 175 SMK being pushed by H-Varget? Hogdon shows 45.0 gr as max I'm pretty sure Sierra is significantly more conservative.

41.3, but it lumps five different bullets, all with different bearing surface lengths. The load for a 190 SMK is 41.1, which to me illustrates that the 41.3 is too low for the lighter 175 SMK.

Hodgdon shows a range of 42.0 - 45.0 for the 175 SMK, and I do not have any rifle than can run 45 gr of Varget with a 175 SMK.

As I said, they are just guidelines. Use discretion and work up loads in hot weather, and everything should be fine.

Re: Sierra, I'm calling BS [Re: RKHarm24] #3003639 02/10/12 08:16 PM
S
scattergun Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: RWH24
Originally Posted By: scattergun

Where do we send flowers?

I appreciate your concern but will probably be OK. I will PM you an address and will look forward to your gift.

Re: Sierra, I'm calling BS [Re: scattergun] #3004033 02/10/12 10:48 PM
D
Don Dial Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
That's why one buys a new reloading book every few years, because
the data on the powder, and the way some of the projectiles are
made changes, as does some of the primers, ect.

I've got old loads for my old 7MM Rem Mag that calls for 64 grains of IMR 4350 w/mag primer and 160 grain projectile..Some
of the older weapons also had more throat, which acts similiar
to freebore and allows a hotter load...

Most of the B.S. about velocity doesn't matter much if you are
shooting a good projectile and put it exactly where it belongs.
Many hunters are so tied up on velocity that they forget it's the
bullet that does the job in the end..Don

Re: Sierra, I'm calling BS [Re: Don Dial] #3004268 02/11/12 12:32 AM
T
timbertoes Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Don Dial

but,but,but that where the fun is smile else we would all be shooting 30-30's ! smile

Forum says "Veteran Tracker". I could not track a garbage truck into a fireworks factory.
Re: Sierra, I'm calling BS [Re: timbertoes] #3004284 02/11/12 12:43 AM
F
Fatalwishes' Wife Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: timbertoes
Originally Posted By: Don Dial

but,but,but that where the fun is smile else we would all be shooting 30-30's ! smile

2300 FPS and 36,200 CUP FTW!!

Re: Sierra, I'm calling BS [Re: timbertoes] #3004354 02/11/12 01:13 AM
C
Canazes9 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I agree with comments about changes in powder changing the charge requirements in more recent manuals. I also think recent manuals have become more conservative in our litigious society. I think there is another factor that is being overlooked in this discussion.

Most of the old load data was developed using CUP (copper units of pressure) pressure data. CUP pressure readings are basically measuring a crushed slug of copper from a hole in a test chamber. There is only one measurement, the slug is removed, measured and the CUP pressure is given.

Modern data uses PSI (Pounds per square inch). A gauge (electronic) is hooked to the test chamber and the cartridge is fired. As electronics have become more and more sophisticated, pressure readings have become more and more detailed, allowing for numerous readings over the milliseconds of the cartridge firing.

As the readings have become more sophisticated and detailed, my understanding is that many loads that were believed to be safe showed very brief, but very disturbing pressure spikes that have caused many of the old "safe" loads to be deemed unsafe. What has disturbed the reloading industry even more is that this has not been a 1 time event - as the equipment gets better, more disturbing spikes have been found in loads that had already been reduced from previous "safe" loads.

The upside to this is that the quest for safer powders is leading the industry to better powders. Powders (and powder coatings) developed to reduce and/or eliminate the pressure spikes have led to more stable pressure curves that provide more consistent velocities and the elongated pressure profile allows better velocities at lower pressures than previously possible.

David

Re: Sierra, I'm calling BS [Re: Canazes9] #3004455 02/11/12 02:03 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
^^^^^^^^^
There ia a lot of truth in that atatement.

A lot of the old load data wasn't even tested with copper billet / CUP (Copper Unit of Pressure) testing. There is an interesting read on pressures at the SAAMI website and the latest LEE manual explains pressure as good as any manual. The Hornady website also has the Internal Ballistic section that is informative.

http://www.saami.org/

http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource/internal

It is not uncommon for there to be pressure differences gun to gun, if you have one with Min dimension barrels and chambers it will produce higher pressures for a given load than one with max dimensions using the same load in each. For example I have chronongraphed factory and handloads that have over 250fps difference in velocity of rifles that are identical looking from the outside. How is one faster, higher pressure in that one than the other.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Sierra, I'm calling BS [Re: Canazes9] #3005135 02/11/12 02:44 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Canazes9
I agree with comments about changes in powder changing the charge requirements in more recent manuals. I also think recent manuals have become more conservative in our litigious society. I think there is another factor that is being overlooked in this discussion.

Most of the old load data was developed using CUP (copper units of pressure) pressure data. CUP pressure readings are basically measuring a crushed slug of copper from a hole in a test chamber. There is only one measurement, the slug is removed, measured and the CUP pressure is given.

Modern data uses PSI (Pounds per square inch). A gauge (electronic) is hooked to the test chamber and the cartridge is fired. As electronics have become more and more sophisticated, pressure readings have become more and more detailed, allowing for numerous readings over the milliseconds of the cartridge firing.

As the readings have become more sophisticated and detailed, my understanding is that many loads that were believed to be safe showed very brief, but very disturbing pressure spikes that have caused many of the old "safe" loads to be deemed unsafe. What has disturbed the reloading industry even more is that this has not been a 1 time event - as the equipment gets better, more disturbing spikes have been found in loads that had already been reduced from previous "safe" loads.

The upside to this is that the quest for safer powders is leading the industry to better powders. Powders (and powder coatings) developed to reduce and/or eliminate the pressure spikes have led to more stable pressure curves that provide more consistent velocities and the elongated pressure profile allows better velocities at lower pressures than previously possible.

David

Yes there is a lot of wisdom in this post. Would you agree that there is a distinct possibility that firearms are being built stronger as well?

Metallurgy has evolved along side the evolution of powder science. I contend that, with modern alloys, some firearm makers have built actions and barrels that will have a safety ratio well above 1:1. In othere words "safe pressures" published by bullet and/ or powder manufacturers are below what the firearm can actually handle. I'm not suggesting we destructive test our firearms, but I wouldn't be surprised if firearm manufacturers have, and are in communication with ammunition, powder and bullet manufacturers regarding the results of the testing.

Last edited by FiremanJG; 02/11/12 02:45 PM.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Sierra, I'm calling BS [Re: J.G.] #3005279 02/11/12 03:48 PM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I think that is probably true, but I also am pretty sure that the older guns that are still in use will remain the lowest common denominator. I think I'd still be satisfied with 3900 fps out of a .220 Swift or .22-250 even if the rifle manufacturer guaranteed the rifle safe at 100,000 psi. Headroom is a good thing!

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Sierra, I'm calling BS [Re: RiverRider] #3005401 02/11/12 04:56 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Agreed.

When I did load development for my .22-250 I started low and worked up to max with Varget. Coincedentally it shot best at max charge 36.5 gr. If it hadn't I would've worked off of another node wthin the string because I wasn't planing on exceeding max charge on that little hot round.

By the way it ended up making significantly more speed than what Hogdon had publised. My speed is 3780 fps with a 55 gr. That's plenty fast!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Sierra, I'm calling BS [Re: J.G.] #3005448 02/11/12 05:21 PM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Yes...that's cookin'!

I tried a few powders I already had on the shelf in my Swift with the 50-grain V-Max, and didn't achieve satisfactory results. I finally went shopping for something i didn't have and decided to try H4895 because of it's temperature tolerance, velocity potential, and stellar reputation. I was not disappointed! It started to tighten up as the charge weight increased and the book max charge of 38.0 grains performed! I've shot several 5-shot groups well under 1/2 inch and am satisfied with 3900 fps.

Last edited by RiverRider; 02/11/12 05:22 PM.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Sierra, I'm calling BS [Re: RiverRider] #3005518 02/11/12 06:02 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Not much keeps up with the good ole Swift!

I'm satisfied with my .22-250 and a Sierra Game King. Especially when it comes to panhndle prarie dogs. It wll produce the red mist and cause bodies to fly.

That reminds me, I need to load some ammo!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Sierra, I'm calling BS [Re: J.G.] #3005678 02/11/12 08:15 PM
C
Canazes9 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I think that (in general) modern firearms and modern alloys are strong enough to take increased pressure over the what's commonly listed in most load manuals. Most sources I've read state that commonly observed pressure signs (sticky bolts, cratered primers, etc.) are indicative of pressures in the 70-75K PSI range. Handloaders that work their loads up till they see pressure signs and back off a few tenths are probably routinely running their rifles at pressures well over 65K with no observed problems.

But the rifle is only one part of the equation and usually not the weakest. There are other things that can happen with over pressure loads than catastrophic rifle failure - ruptured primers and case head separations can be quite dangerous even if the rifle holds. That pressure has to go somewhere and not all rifle designs handle it equally or protect the shooter equally.

I have no concerns about working loads up to the max listed with reliable load data but I have no interest in reducing my safety margin by working over listed loads, no matter how minimal that risk may be. If I want it to go faster then I'll switch to a larger case design....

David

Re: Sierra, I'm calling BS [Re: Canazes9] #3005736 02/11/12 08:55 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Well written sir.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Page 1 of 2 1 2