Forums46
Topics538,717
Posts9,740,430
Members87,103
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Mossberg's Tactical 30-30 lever gun... [Re: LandPirate] #2991533 02/06/12 07:24 PM
C
Chris42 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
The truth of the matter is that a lever action carbine is actually an excellent choice for rural/suburban law enforcement. A gun like that would be easily handled within a patrol car and easily deployed for a variety of reasons. And it's a less expensive than an AR.

This whole tactical thing has got so far out of hand. It's crazy. I see people posting pics of their AR's on here that have more "tactical" carp than the guys on our SWAT team, that actually do "tactical" for a living. To each his own.

I can actually think of several scenarios where a lever gun might be advantageous over and AR platform as a patrol rifle.

Such as?

Re: Mossberg's Tactical 30-30 lever gun... [Re: LandPirate] #2991676 02/06/12 08:27 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
The truth of the matter is that a lever action carbine is actually an excellent choice for rural/suburban law enforcement. A gun like that would be easily handled within a patrol car and easily deployed for a variety of reasons. And it's a less expensive than an AR.

This whole tactical thing has got so far out of hand. It's crazy. I see people posting pics of their AR's on here that have more "tactical" carp than the guys on our SWAT team, that actually do "tactical" for a living. To each his own.

I can actually think of several scenarios where a lever gun might be advantageous over and AR platform as a patrol rifle.

Boy do I agree with this-especially the 'tactical' thing getting out of hand part. Hey,don't get me wrong this is America and the tactical craze is fine with me.They are cetainly a blast to shoot for sure.I just have to roll my eyes though when I see all the hype touting them 1)for their accuracy and 2)as a great hunting platform.

The AR platform is designed for battle,not accuracy. The true military models are intentionally built to loose tolerances to withstand battlefield conditions. Yes I get those tolerances are tightened in civilian models and they can be made accurate but that kinda misses the point and turns everything on its head. The bolt action platform is the platform when accuracy is the goal.

Same for most types of hunting. See accuracy comments above. PLUS the AR platform is clunky,unbalanced, and just plain unwieldy for hunting. Add in that the jutting magazine is a major pain when trying to quickly stabilize the rifle on any kind of rest. Add in also the required high scope mounting prevents good cheek weld thus hindering accuracy.

They are considered great hog guns and I understand that since their ability to get a lotta lead out there quickly is paramount if you are a big-time hog slayer. And when the Zombies attack I'm sure I'll be wishing for an AR/tactical gun. Till then I'll stick with my bolt rifles. 2cents

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 02/06/12 08:28 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Mossberg's Tactical 30-30 lever gun... [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #2991706 02/06/12 08:38 PM
C
Chris42 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
^^^^^^^ roflmao

Re: Mossberg's Tactical 30-30 lever gun... [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #2991757 02/06/12 09:03 PM
J
JWP58 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

1)for their accuracy and 2)as a great hunting platform.

The AR platform is designed for battle,not accuracy. The true military models are intentionally built to loose tolerances to withstand battlefield conditions. Yes I get those tolerances are tightened in civilian models and they can be made accurate but that kinda misses the point and turns everything on its head. The bolt action platform is the platform when accuracy is the goal.

1. I would be VERY VERY interested to see actual documentation of "tolerences" being tightened in civilian AR15's in comparison to the M16/M4. I would guess you have no such material and are simply regurgitating what you heard in a gunshop..

2. Next i would ask what you consider "not accurate".

Re: Mossberg's Tactical 30-30 lever gun... [Re: JWP58] #2991836 02/06/12 09:37 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: JWP58

1)for their accuracy and 2)as a great hunting platform.

1. I would be VERY VERY interested to see actual documentation of "tolerences" being tightened in civilian AR15's in comparison to the M16/M4. I would guess you have no such material and are simply regurgitating what you heard in a gunshop..

2. Next i would ask what you consider "not accurate".

Yep I have to admit I'm not an expert and going on my reading. Have read alot of stuff where AR platforms are being customized to reduce tolerances much like Les Baer does with 1911s,for example (I have even read he is doing the same with ARs now but again no personal experience.)

Don't know how to add to the accuracy statements I made-I get they can be made to be accurate. Again,kind of a given the bolt platform is the preferred starting platform for accuracy as a result of its bolt lockup.

I'm really not dissing tactical rifles-but saying they are the best at everything and can 'do it all' better than any other platform is getting a little carried away IMO. Each good gun design has its own strengths and weaknesses-there is no 'do it all' gun despite the current rabid following tactical rifles have acquired.

There is a reason you don't see ARs in horses' scabbards and strapped to backpacks on once in a lifetime big-game hunts out west and all over the world. (Though I admit fully expect to start seeing a few soon given all the "gunshop" and internet talk about how great they are as accurate hunting rifles.)

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Mossberg's Tactical 30-30 lever gun... [Re: devildog28] #2991899 02/06/12 09:59 PM
A
ATX Hunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
What is the point, what dumbass decided to build this? Seriously it is so impratical I am really curious to know the idea behind designing it.

Re: Mossberg's Tactical 30-30 lever gun... [Re: devildog28] #2991900 02/06/12 09:59 PM
A
ATX Hunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
What is the point, what dumbass decided to build this? Seriously it is so impratical I am really curious to know the idea behind designing it.

Re: Mossberg's Tactical 30-30 lever gun... [Re: Chris42] #2991919 02/06/12 10:08 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: Chris42

Such as?

My first question to is, are you LE?

I'm not going into techniques or tactics but will keep my answer simple and obvious.

First, a lever patrol rifle will cost a fraction of the cost of an AR. When shrinking budgets are at hand and cutbacks necessary this must come into consideration.

They are accurate, light and easily deployed from a patrol car and used in tight spaces, by a wide variety of officers. ]

They're available in a wide variety of calibers with inexpensive, readily available ammo.

They're easy to use, dependable and easy to train officers in their use.

In rural areas they can offer more adequate firepower on medium to large domestic and wild animals. In my career I've had to kill horses, cows, deer (including exotics)and emus. We have one officer that had to kill a rampaging buffalo (bison). It took one 30 round mag from an AR and a few more from a second mag.

In norther regions where bear, moose, elk and other larger game could be encountered I'd rather have a big bore lever gun over an AR.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Mossberg's Tactical 30-30 lever gun... [Re: GSS] #2991948 02/06/12 10:18 PM
H
HWY_MAN2 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: GSS

Sorta ugly, but might grow on me.

Gotta be the silliest thing I've ever seen, kinda like the Judge, just another novelty item.

Re: Mossberg's Tactical 30-30 lever gun... [Re: LandPirate] #2992004 02/06/12 10:42 PM
C
Chris42 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Chris42

Such as?

My first question to is, are you LE?

I'm not going into techniques or tactics but will keep my answer simple and obvious.

First, a lever patrol rifle will cost a fraction of the cost of an AR. When shrinking budgets are at hand and cutbacks necessary this must come into consideration.

They are accurate, light and easily deployed from a patrol car and used in tight spaces, by a wide variety of officers. ]

They're available in a wide variety of calibers with inexpensive, readily available ammo.

They're easy to use, dependable and easy to train officers in their use.

In rural areas they can offer more adequate firepower on medium to large domestic and wild animals. In my career I've had to kill horses, cows, deer (including exotics)and emus. We have one officer that had to kill a rampaging buffalo (bison). It took one 30 round mag from an AR and a few more from a second mag.

In norther regions where bear, moose, elk and other larger game could be encountered I'd rather have a big bore lever gun over an AR.

First, no. I'm not an LEO. I agree with you that sticking an M4 buttstock on everything looks rediculous. The levergun above looks like the immpure cross between levergun and a UTG convention. I think it is silly, but I'm not going to knock someone for buying something they want to buy.

Ok, I can see how having a 45-70 over a 5.56 is useful on a bison. (actually kind of funny when you think about it. : ) ) But that example is kind isn't really the use of the average patrol rifle.

AR's are light, handy, and dependable. A great gun can be bought for less than a thousand dollars by a civillian. LEO discounts can drop that significantly. A pretty good one can be bought for $600 (not one I'd risk my life with, but good enough).

Frankly, there are lots of reasons that patrol rifles and shotguns are being replaced by AR's.

Re: Mossberg's Tactical 30-30 lever gun... [Re: Chris42] #2992160 02/06/12 11:35 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
I agree that the Mossberg tactical rifle is ugly as homemade soap.

As for some of your other observations all I can say is that you miss the point. Probably because you are not a LEO and have no basis for comparison.

The AR is probably the best platform for patrol rifles. No question about it. However, they are expensive, even for with LEO/LEA discount. I can buy a Bushmaster for about $700. An agency can buy them a little cheaper.

When agencies are faced with budget shortfalls and can't afford to outfit every car much less every officer with one, a much cheaper lever gun would be a solid choice and far better than no patrol gun. I'll reference the LA Bank Robbery as an example. Those responding officer had nothing but their sidearms. A rifle...any rifle would have been preferable.

An agency can buy 2 lever guns to one AR. In some cases that's much better than no rifle. Some smaller agencies don't pay well and an individual officer simply may not be able to afford the AR, even with the discount. Again, any rifle is better than no rifle.

As for use of the patrol rifle, I've used my patrol rifle more often on wild and domestic animals than I have people. Something to consider.

The last time I deployed my patrol rifle was in Nov. 2011 for this.

Coyote wouldn't leave a little league baseball complex and there were games scheduled to begin in an hour.

Last edited by LandPirate; 02/06/12 11:39 PM.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Mossberg's Tactical 30-30 lever gun... [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #2992353 02/07/12 12:35 AM
J
JWP58 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
J

Yep I have to admit I'm not an expert and going on my reading. Have read alot of stuff where AR platforms are being customized to reduce tolerances much like Les Baer does with 1911s,for example (I have even read he is doing the same with ARs now but again no personal experience.)

Don't know how to add to the accuracy statements I made-I get they can be made to be accurate. Again,kind of a given the bolt platform is the preferred starting platform for accuracy as a result of its bolt lockup. I'm really not dissing tactical rifles-but saying they are the best at everything and can 'do it all' better than any other platform is getting a little carried away IMO. Each good gun design has its own strengths and weaknesses-there is no 'do it all' gun despite the current rabid following tactical rifles have acquired.

There is a reason you don't see ARs in horses' scabbards and strapped to backpacks on once in a lifetime big-game hunts out west and all over the world. (Though I admit fully expect to start seeing a few soon given all the "gunshop" and internet talk about how great they are as accurate hunting rifles.)

1. Care to share those articles?
2. Why dont you contact Mr. Mark Larue and ask how his AR platform rifles have performed at the International Sniper Competition.
3. I've seen plenty people post pics and stories using those "evil black guns" on hunts "out west" Including Elk, and Bison.

Re: Mossberg's Tactical 30-30 lever gun... [Re: JWP58] #2992699 02/07/12 02:11 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: JWP58

Don't know how to add to the accuracy statements I made-I get they can be made to be accurate. Again,kind of a given the bolt platform is the preferred starting platform for accuracy as a result of its bolt lockup. I'm really not dissing tactical rifles-but saying they are the best at everything and can 'do it all' better than any other platform is getting a little carried away IMO. Each good gun design has its own strengths and weaknesses-there is no 'do it all' gun despite the current rabid following tactical rifles have acquired.

1. Care to share those articles?
2. Why dont you contact Mr. Mark Larue and ask how his AR platform rifles have performed at the International Sniper Competition.
3. I've seen plenty people post pics and stories using those "evil black guns" on hunts "out west" Including Elk, and Bison.

Did I say they could not be made accurate? No. Larue is a good example that they can-with enough time and $$$ invested.
Did I call them "evil black guns"? No. I said I have no problem with them and they are fun to shoot.
What I said was they cannot do it all. And they can't.
But when someone can't or won't engage in a civil discussion ,again, they have to put words in someone else's mouth so they can argue with themselves I guess.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide