Forums46
Topics538,337
Posts9,735,938
Members87,082
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: kindall] #2967887 01/28/12 02:08 PM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I can tell you about foolish spending. PK state park about 3 years ago spent right at 200,00 bucks on cabins that could have been built for half that. I know the trout program cost a bundle. This year they will put 6,000 below PK dam for 30 or so fisherman. They put a lot in city parks for the kids and I know we need to get kids into fishing but channel cat and perch make more sense as they can live all year. I would think those trout would cost a min. of 8.00 a piece after paying for them,trucking to our hatcheries, then trucking them all over the state.Kids would just as happy to catch a carp.

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: bp3] #2967898 01/28/12 02:15 PM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: bp3
I can tell you about foolish spending. PK state park about 3 years ago spent right at 200,00 bucks on cabins that could have been built for half that. I know the trout program cost a bundle. This year they will put 6,000 below PK dam for 30 or so fisherman. They put a lot in city parks for the kids and I know we need to get kids into fishing but channel cat and perch make more sense as they can live all year. I would think those trout would cost a min. of 8.00 a piece after paying for them,trucking to our hatcheries, then trucking them all over the state.Kids would just as happy to catch a carp.

Here is the problem with the government!!! They get contractors that make fortunes off of government contracts whether it be building cabins for parks dept or fixing up schools in the different school districts!!! And to save money from the cuts, they end up laying off teachers/workers instead of spending too much on outside contractor and supplies, etc...!!!

I support Cap and Trade - Cap our spending and Trade Obama

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: Bear Charge] #2967928 01/28/12 02:39 PM
H
HWY_MAN2 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Quote:
I am more concerned with the education cuts.

Not me that's just another area where tons of money is wasted.

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: HWY_MAN2] #2968524 01/28/12 08:07 PM
J
JohnU Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN2
Not me that's just another area where tons of money is wasted.

Well, Texas is already 37th in expenditure per student and sliding, so I'm not sure how much lower we can go - not sure we want to find out.

But getting back to parks, I agree that stocking trout is foolish. But that is the fisheries side of TPWD, not parks. Now, if they'd charge $100 or more for a trout stamp . . .

John

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: Don Dial] #2969689 01/29/12 12:39 PM
H
HWY_MAN2 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Quote:
tighten
your belt like the rest of us...

Yep!

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: kindall] #2969946 01/29/12 03:45 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
How many of you have stayed at or even visited state parks over the last ten to fifteen years?

THey have been cut in funding for maintenance and operations for years. Understaffed and underfunded. All of TPWD has.... I am the biggest proponent of less government around, really. But for all the money we spend on pet projects, social adjustment payments, etc.; we are foolish to continue to rape TPWD, DPS, and education in general. We increased unearned social payments and healthcare levels for prisoners, but cut parks and wildlife, law enforcement, and education.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: don k] #2970104 01/29/12 05:05 PM
N
nado2036 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: don k
Originally Posted By: asartor
As much as I enjoy the outdoors, I am more concerned with the education cuts. A society of uneducated people will hurt the outdoorsman more than TPWD cuts. Uneducated people will believe anything on TV or in print. The liberal media counts on it to push agendas.
How does giving even more money to liberal teachers help?

Are your children or grandchildren in a public school? If so do you want someone that wants to teach instead of person that is teaching because that is the only job that would take them. God forbid that an educator ask to be paid better than a checker at wal-mart or receive benefits. They are molding
and shaping the future of our sttate

Last edited by nado2036; 01/29/12 05:05 PM.
Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: nado2036] #2970114 01/29/12 05:15 PM
N
nado2036 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
One last thing Exxon, Shell, and every other Major oil company have made record profits since goog ole GW Bush got into office. On avg they have made 100 billion a quarter for 10 years. Instead of closing the loop holes on there taxes to where they are paying there share not more but there share our govenor would rather fire teachers and close parks. You call a teacher liberal but every time my contract s are up i try to get a better deal that sir is capatilism.

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: nado2036] #2970118 01/29/12 05:19 PM
N
nado2036 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Hwy man do you have an actual argumrnt or you just repeating sticking points from Perry's office. If you have a child in a public school.you need to educate yourself on the situation.

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: nado2036] #2970202 01/29/12 06:17 PM
jeh7mmmag Online Happy OP
gramps
OP Online Happy
gramps
By axing parks, politicians are stealing the people's property

Clip>>>>
Quote:
People here are justly proud of their 94 parks, but many of these treasures are now understaffed, open fewer hours and in disrepair because the system’s budget was whacked by 21.5 percent in order to spare the wealthiest families and corporations in this enormously rich state from paying a teensy bit more in taxes.

But that was only part of the robbery. A state sales tax on sporting goods, dedicated by law to help finance the people’s parks will generate about $236 million this year and next. But the governor and his legislative henchmen raided this pile of revenue, filching two-thirds of it for the state’s general fund so they could claim that they “balanced our budget (without) raising taxes.”

To replenish some of the tax money taken by The Perry Gang, the head of parks for the Great State of Texas is now engaged in a shocking spectacle: public begging.

http://lubbockonline.com/editorial-colum...eoples-property

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: jeh7mmmag] #2970210 01/29/12 06:22 PM
gramps
OP Online Happy
gramps
Tourism falls off at Texas parks hit hard by drought, wildfires, funding woes

Clip>>>>

Quote:
Bristol urged that the state's sporting goods tax be dedicated to state and local parks.

"Texans like their parks (and) are willing to pay for them," Bristol said. "Parks will pay for themselves if given any kind of meaningful support."

Rep. Lyle Larson, R-San Antonio, said he is committed to again trying to get the sporting goods tax rededicated to parks and not diverted to other budget areas. Ninety-four percent is supposed to go to parks and 6 percent to the Texas Historical Commission, he said.

Of $125 million coming in, only $26 million is going toward state parks, Larson said.

"The state needs to show more discipline in using the sporting goods tax," Larson said. "I will file the bill again, and we will pursue it aggressively. It's shameful, some of the maintenance that's been deferred."

Larson challenged Gov. Rick Perry and Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst to be advocates for the parks funding effort.

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2012/jan/28/tourism-falls-off-at-texas-parks-hit-hard-by/

~ John Muir
Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: nado2036] #2970248 01/29/12 06:42 PM
H
HWY_MAN2 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: nado2036
Hwy man do you have an actual argumrnt or you just repeating sticking points from Perry's office. If you have a child in a public school.you need to educate yourself on the situation.

And that post speaks volumes for the quality of education and the educators we in Texas are paying for, thank God my kids have been out of school for many years now. Were I to put a child through school now it would be home schooled or private. Oh! and as far as those evil oil profits you might want look into just how much of that money goes into state funds. You know the same one you draw your paycheck from. Just keep on biting the hand that feeds you, it's time to put some of y'all on a diet.

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: HWY_MAN2] #2970261 01/29/12 06:52 PM
gramps
OP Online Happy
gramps
You get what you pay for. In Texas, we do not get much because we
do not pay for much. Compared to other states, Texas ranks near the bottom
in spending for education, health care, environmental protection, workforce
development, public safety, and other services and protections. Our failure to
invest in ourselves puts our children at risk and our future in jeopardy.
In tough times, families tighten their belts and take long, hard looks at
their budgets. But even in tough times, families still find ways to buy food and
clothing, to put a roof over their heads, and to send their children to school.
Texas should do no less for its citizens and it must not further tighten its belt
around the necks of those most in need.
Some assert that Texas has engaged in a spending spree. A review
of the dismal numbers below will substantiate that this is clearly untrue. For
Texas’ and our children's future to be prosperous, we must reverse past
patterns and begin to invest in ourselves. Texas does indeed have a problem,
but it is in how we invest, not how much we spend. In a misguided effort to be
frugal, we are starving the Texas dream.

Quote:
Education (50th = lowest, 1st = highest)
< Percentage of Population Graduated
from High School13 46th
< High School Completion Rate14 45th
< State Aid per Pupil15 41st
< Secondary Teachers with Degrees in the Subjects
they Teach16 45th
< Average Teacher Salaries17 30th
< Percent of Adults with at Least a Bachelor’s Degree18 27th
< Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) Scores19 47th

http://shapleigh.org/system/reporting_document/file/3/focus_documents3.pdf

~ John Muir
Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: jeh7mmmag] #2970286 01/29/12 07:06 PM
gramps
OP Online Happy
gramps
"Under current funding levels, Texas is already near the bottom in education funding per pupil (Texas ranks 44th nationally)".

Quote:

>>>>>>

Responding to our request for backup, Davis spokesman Anthony Spangler pointed us to "Texas on the Brink," a 2009 compilation of Texas statistics prepared by then-state Sen. Eliot Shapleigh, D-El Paso. One entry, citing the National Education Association, ranked Texas 44th in per-student education expenditures. The Legislative Budget Board’s 2010 "Texas Fact Book" similarly quotes the analysis placing Texas 44th.

According to a December report from the association, which describes itself as the nation’s largest teachers union, in 2009-10 Texas ranked 37th among the states and the District of Columbia in state and local funds spent per student in public school, averaging $9,227.

But the state ranked 44th in 2008-09, according to the report, averaging $8,610. That year, the top-spending state, New Jersey, averaged $16,253, and the lowest-spending state, Arizona, averaged $5,932. The national average: $10,313.
>>>>>>>>>

All told, it’s clear that rankings vary by year and methodology. Yet Texas has consistently trailed most states in per-pupil education spending. According to the approach cited by the senator, Texas ranked 37th in 2009-10, improving from 44th place the year before. By other measures for recent years, Texas has placed as low as 43rd and, rolling in capital costs, as high as 36th.

http://www.politifact.com/texas/statemen...ks-44th-educat/

http://www.texastribune.org/texas-educat...chool-diplomas/

~ John Muir
Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: jeh7mmmag] #2970292 01/29/12 07:13 PM
H
HWY_MAN2 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
You get what you pay for is right! When I'm paying for it I want performance just as I do from my employee's. The better they perform the more they make, if they don't perform to my standards then I'll find somebody that will. There are some really good teachers out there that do perform and should be rewarded for it, sadly there are others that just take up space and are a black eye to those that really care. These are the ones that need to be weeded out.

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: jeh7mmmag] #2970321 01/29/12 07:32 PM
H
HWY_MAN2 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Quote:
from High School13 46th
they Teach16 45th

And I'm suppose to believe that throwing more money at it is going to magically make that improve? The only results we'll get from that is the administrative and teaching salaries will increase, student performance will still be going down and they'll be screaming for more money next year. Your barking up the wrong tree here, I'm for private schools and a voucher system, let the parents decide where their children will get the best education.

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: HWY_MAN2] #2970455 01/29/12 08:46 PM
J
JohnU Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
[quote=HWY_MAN2 I'm for private schools and a voucher system, let the parents decide where their children will get the best education. [/quote]

Private school tuition runs 8 - 20k/year, and they are selective - most don't want kids with learning or physical disabilities. In short, they can tailor their teaching staff and resources to the students they want, not the ones that come in the door. Many also don't offer sports, arts, foreign language, etc because of the expense. So what's it gonna cost to educate all those kids the private schools can't/won't take, PLUS vouchers?

Funding of public education is analogous to the issue of funding for the parks. If a person doesn't use them, or is of the opinion that money spent on them is wasted, then it's okay to cut their funding. I suppose we could privatize them, but then user fees would go up, and a state resource would then be accessible to fewer Texans.

In short, you can't run a state with the size and population of Texas on the cheap - at least, not do a good job of it.

John

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: HWY_MAN2] #2970482 01/29/12 08:59 PM
N
nado2036 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Quote:
from High School13 46th
they Teach16 45th

And I'm suppose to believe that throwing more money at it is going to magically make that improve? The only results we'll get from that is the administrative and teaching salaries will increase, student performance will still be going down and they'll be screaming for more money next year. Your barking up the wrong tree here, I'm for private schools and a voucher system, let the parents decide where their children will get the best education.

So if you cant afford to send your kids to school than they should just not get an education correct? Maybe I am reading between the lines but it sounds like your children went to public school. So you have used the system to educate your kids and now since they are graduated you shouldnt have to pay taxes anymore. The problem is the money and the lobbyist not the teachers.

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: nado2036] #2970510 01/29/12 09:15 PM
N
nado2036 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
The Legislature cut public education by about $537 per student over the next two years – the first decrease in per-student spending in Texas since World War II – to help plug a $27 billion budget hole. Perry and Republican leaders held firm against raising taxes or dipping heavily into the so-called rainy day fund to blunt the cuts.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/feature?section=news&id=8134019
http://www.statesman.com/news/texas-poli...?printArticle=y

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: nado2036] #2970678 01/29/12 10:38 PM
H
HWY_MAN2 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: nado2036
Quote:
from High School13 46th
they Teach16 45th

So if you cant afford to send your kids to school than they should just not get an education correct? Maybe I am reading between the lines but it sounds like your children went to public school. So you have used the system to educate your kids and now since they are graduated you shouldnt have to pay taxes anymore. The problem is the money and the lobbyist not the teachers.

The problem is with the teaching and your posts continue to support my point, your grammar is not much better than your spelling. If your not up to the task find another line of work, I want performance for my money. As I said earlier there are some who perform and get results and there are others who just show up, reward the performers and get rid of the dead wood, our children and their future will benefit.

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: HWY_MAN2] #2971091 01/30/12 01:27 AM
T
Texas Heat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Craziness!

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: Texas Heat] #2973043 01/30/12 07:34 PM
N
nado2036 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Two things I am typing on a blog and on my phone most of the time. So I am not worrying about my spelling or grammar. Also why dont you answer one of the multiple questions I have asked? You type a bunch of one liner BS that you hear off of your tv. Then when asked a question you either dont know the answer to or dont want to answer you attack. So if you would like to back up some of your comments with some type of evidence or actually have a debate about your ideas im all for it. But just shutting everything down is not the answer.

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: Texas Heat] #2973085 01/30/12 07:44 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
The highest student achievements always come from the districts with the most money...Whether it is cause and effect,or parents who are more engaged,teachers paid more,whatever...You can't make chicken salad out of chicken feces. In this case you do get what you pay for- OR NOT pay for.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: Erathkid] #2983349 02/03/12 05:03 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: Jimbo] #2983387 02/03/12 05:22 AM
S
SpoonPlatoon Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
They should sell <13" permits for $10 a piece!

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide