Forums46
Topics538,346
Posts9,736,079
Members87,082
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: Erathkid] #2959181 01/25/12 03:46 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline OP
gramps
OP Offline
gramps
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Most of the parks are self sustaining,it is called the Texas PARKS and wildlife dept.for a reason. When you buy a license it's known in advance what you are paying for. The problem is the diversion of monies to the General fund which has NOTHING to do with state parks or hunting and fishing. I can't be any more clear than that.

up

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: jeh7mmmag] #2959705 01/25/12 06:38 PM
P
Play Maker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Quote:
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Or quit funding dumb projects,

Quote:
Tell us more about these dumb projects their funding and the diversion of funds from TPWD?

It doesn't take long to uncover foolish and wasteful spending. It will never stop and is here to stay...status quo. Some have their pet projects and agendas which have little to no benefit for the public at large. IMO, strict fiscal oversight and accountability efforts should be implemented to evaluate such expenditures. I suggest that the problems facing TPWD is not only a diversion of funds, but also mismanagement of the monetary resources allotted to the agency.

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: Erathkid] #2959718 01/25/12 06:43 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Most of the parks are self sustaining,it is called the Texas PARKS and wildlife dept.for a reason. When you buy a license it's known in advance what you are paying for. The problem is the diversion of monies to the General fund which has NOTHING to do with state parks or hunting and fishing. I can't be any more clear than that.

then there are ramps around lakes (inside parks) that they let go to crap and refuse offers from the private sector to do something with them to make them more appealing (and usable). The thing is when the majority of folks buy a license, they do so because it's required to hunt or fish, not because it's going to benefit public enjoyment of anything.

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: rifleman] #2959758 01/25/12 06:56 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Have Rick Perry, alias Pretty Boy with No Brains, reimburse the state for his failed presidential campaign that ended up costing the citizens of Texas about $400,000.00/day. That would make a dent in helping save the state parks.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: BenBob] #2960195 01/25/12 09:30 PM
N
nado2036 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
I almost guarrantee if you looked hard enough Perry has funneled alot of state funds into his pocket and his buddies pockets. He put his hat into the presidential race to sell more books and to have a reason to write another. Perry lies everytime he opens his mouth.

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: BenBob] #2960837 01/26/12 12:07 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: BenBob
Have Rick Perry, alias Pretty Boy with No Brains, reimburse the state for his failed presidential campaign that ended up costing the citizens of Texas about $400,000.00/day. That would make a dent in helping save the state parks.
This... People complain about wasteful spending for TPWD but think absolutely nothing about a politician on the taxpayers teats, wasting our money,to the tune of $400,000 a day...Blows my mind...

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: Erathkid] #2960929 01/26/12 12:32 AM
N
nado2036 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Some more good stuff from our slime bag govener
http://www.burntorangereport.com/diary/1...72238-in-profit

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: rifleman] #2961025 01/26/12 01:03 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: rifleman

then there are ramps around lakes (inside parks) that they let go to crap and refuse offers from the private sector to do something with them to make them more appealing (and usable). The thing is when the majority of folks buy a license, they do so because it's required to hunt or fish, not because it's going to benefit public enjoyment of anything.
Rifleman,you and I agree on this,if the private sector can do better(in some situations they probably can)then that's fine. Like Big spring state park for example. The money that TPWD retains (after getting hit-up from politicians)get's split between the parks and the Fishing and Hunting programs. It's not an even split. The parks get the crumbs leftover...I don't want to be accused of making up FACTS,but I believe it's something like a 70-30 split with the parks getting under-funded. I love our parks so I definitely have an agenda. Keep them open for crying out loud.

Don't text and drive.
Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: Erathkid] #2961458 01/26/12 03:12 AM
N
nado2036 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
The way this could be easily fixed is that letter need to go out to corporations like Bechtal, Exxon, Shell, Etc. They need to be given a break on there franchise tax for the state of Texas. Only thing this depends on is if Perry is even making these major corporations pay a franchise tax in Texas anymore. This goes back to the tax or not to tax corporations. In my belief if you do not tax these corporations heavily then you have 0 leverage for them to help the community in which they do business. I dont think they should pay more but it has been proven time and time again if they get major tax breaks they just take the money and run instead of reinvesting it back into there community or company. IMO

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: nado2036] #2961681 01/26/12 04:17 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: nado2036
The way this could be easily fixed is that letter need to go out to corporations like Bechtal, Exxon, Shell, Etc. They need to be given a break on there franchise tax for the state of Texas. Only thing this depends on is if Perry is even making these major corporations pay a franchise tax in Texas anymore. This goes back to the tax or not to tax corporations. In my belief if you do not tax these corporations heavily then you have 0 leverage for them to help the community in which they do business. I dont think they should pay more but it has been proven time and time again if they get major tax breaks they just take the money and run instead of reinvesting it back into there community or company. IMO
You are correct Sir.

Don't text and drive.
Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: Erathkid] #2961759 01/26/12 04:41 AM
N
nado2036 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Also kills me that gas goes up 1 cent a gallon per day since the first of the year freaking amaziing. Man it must be hard making a record profit every quarter for 12 years. Tough business

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: nado2036] #2962096 01/26/12 01:29 PM
H
HWY_MAN2 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Also kills me that gas goes up 1 cent a gallon per day since the first of the year freaking amaziing. Man it must be hard making a record profit every quarter for 12 years. Tough business

Every time the price of oil goes up the state rakes in more money, same with natural gas.

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: HWY_MAN2] #2965136 01/27/12 12:43 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline OP
gramps
OP Offline
gramps
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN2

Every time the price of oil goes up the state rakes in more money, same with natural gas.

Yep, all that state pay at the pump fuel tax money for road construction/repairs is diverted also. = more toll road fees (hidden tax). Then bond out road funds for the grandkids to pay P+I on. Centra Spain & Zachary are getting rich of tax payer backs while our GK go in deeper debt. Rob the Disabled & Homeless Veterans $2 Lottery funds while you are at it.

http://www.texasobserver.org/media/k2/audio/tax-divert_kut.MP3

~ John Muir
Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: jeh7mmmag] #2965173 01/27/12 01:07 PM
H
HWY_MAN2 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: jeh7mmmag
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN2

Yep, all that state pay at the pump fuel tax money for road construction/repairs is diverted also. = more toll road fees (hidden tax). Then bond out road funds for the grandkids to pay P+I on. Centra Spain & Zachary are getting rich of tax payer backs while our GK go in deeper debt. Rob the Disabled & Homeless Veterans $2 Lottery funds while you are at it.

http://www.texasobserver.org/media/k2/audio/tax-divert_kut.MP3

They get a nice check from the severance tax on crude and natural gas.
Up to 6.5% on crude and up to 7.4% on NG.

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: HWY_MAN2] #2965181 01/27/12 01:12 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline OP
gramps
OP Offline
gramps
up
What are the typical permitting fees and cost that the state charges per location to get a well online?

~ John Muir
Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: jeh7mmmag] #2965192 01/27/12 01:29 PM
H
HWY_MAN2 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Thats not my department but it depends on the depth, plus additiona fees may be added. I'm thinking 2.00 per foot, I'm sure somebody here has a better answer.

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: HWY_MAN2] #2966393 01/27/12 08:57 PM
N
nado2036 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Yeah for Rick Perry the fiscal conservative

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: nado2036] #2966554 01/27/12 10:00 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline OP
gramps
OP Offline
gramps
hammer

Quote:
The truth is that for the 2012-2013 biennium, the sporting goods sales tax is expected to raise $250 million. Of that, only $53.1 million will go to the parks, and another $22 million will be spent on beach erosion. The rest, $175.9 million, is being raided from the parks fund to “balance” the State budget. Instead of raising new revenues or closing corporate tax loopholes, and while they were bragging about balancing the budget with “no new taxes,” legislators sent our parks, our state treasure, out begging for change.

There are countless other “tax and switch” examples like this in our state budget. Dedicated funds such as the gas tax, which is supposed to fund road construction, and the System Benefit Fund, which was created to help poor elderly and disabled Texans with their electric bills, are surreptitiously diverted away from their intended use. This is deceptive and deceitful to the people of Texas. Instead of (or in addition to) donating money to the TPWD, I urge you to contact your State legislators and tell them to quit the shenanigans and come clean about our state budget.

http://www.texasfirstfoundation.com/2012/01/budget-shenanigans-hurt-our-state-parks/

~ John Muir
Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: jeh7mmmag] #2966745 01/27/12 11:09 PM
B
Bear Charge Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
As much as I enjoy the outdoors, I am more concerned with the education cuts. A society of uneducated people will hurt the outdoorsman more than TPWD cuts. Uneducated people will believe anything on TV or in print. The liberal media counts on it to push agendas.

"Democracy is a sheep and two lions voting. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote."
Ben Franklin
Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: Bear Charge] #2967163 01/28/12 02:02 AM
J
JohnU Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
I worked at TPWD when the switch was made from a tax on tobacco to one on outdoor equipment to fund agency operations (not just parks.) It was mostly Lt. Gov. Bob Bullock's idea - he figured tobacco sales would decline as time went by and outdoor equip sales would increase. He was right, but as has been pointed out the Legislature has been stingy with what was intended to fund the parks.

There is a misconception that license fees fund the parks. Revenue from hunting and fishing licenses, boat registration fees, etc go into Account 009 which is used to fund wildlife management, fisheries, law enforcement, water safety and related activities. A bunch of federal dollars - nearly $40 million in 2011 - also go into Account 9. The problem with Account 9 is NOT that it gets diverted to other activities - it's that the Legislature doesn't spend all of it so they can claim they've balanced the state budget.

It's shameful that we do such a poor job in maintaining our parks system, and reduce the agency responsible for them to begging. But that's what happens when you have a crummy, inequitable tax code and elected officials that believe all taxes are the spawn of Satan.

John

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: JohnU] #2967295 01/28/12 02:55 AM
B
Bear Charge Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: JohnU
I worked at TPWD when the switch was made from a tax on tobacco to one on outdoor equipment to fund agency operations (not just parks.) It was mostly Lt. Gov. Bob Bullock's idea - he figured tobacco sales would decline as time went by and outdoor equip sales would increase. He was right, but as has been pointed out the Legislature has been stingy with what was intended to fund the parks.

There is a misconception that license fees fund the parks. Revenue from hunting and fishing licenses, boat registration fees, etc go into Account 009 which is used to fund wildlife management, fisheries, law enforcement, water safety and related activities. A bunch of federal dollars - nearly $40 million in 2011 - also go into Account 9. The problem with Account 9 is NOT that it gets diverted to other activities - it's that the Legislature doesn't spend all of it so they can claim they've balanced the state budget.

It's shameful that we do such a poor job in maintaining our parks system, and reduce the agency responsible for them to begging. But that's what happens when you have a crummy, inequitable tax code and elected officials that believe all taxes are the spawn of Satan.

John

Thanks, Ann Richards!

"Democracy is a sheep and two lions voting. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote."
Ben Franklin
Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: Bear Charge] #2967439 01/28/12 03:54 AM
J
JohnU Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
Originally Posted By: asartor
Thanks, Ann Richards!

Uh, not quite. This was mostly Bullock's idea, likely based on a recommendation from TPWD commissioners and staff. Would have worked if subsequent administrations/Legislatures had stuck to the plan. Parks funding from the equipment tax really took a hammering from '03 to '07, falling to as low as $20M, less than 20% of the total tax collected. (Parks got about 40% of the equipment tax revenue in 2000.)

Situation improved - briefly - with legislation in 2007 that boosted the percentage going to parks, intended to help TPWD catch up for the preceding lean years. But the money parks receive from the tax is limited to whatever the Legislature appropriates - in 2011 the percentage dropped again. Hence the appeal for contributions . . .

John

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: JohnU] #2967726 01/28/12 10:23 AM
H
HWY_MAN2 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Quote:
all taxes are the spawn of Satan.

Most are in my opinion.

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: Bear Charge] #2967836 01/28/12 01:28 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: asartor
As much as I enjoy the outdoors, I am more concerned with the education cuts. A society of uneducated people will hurt the outdoorsman more than TPWD cuts. Uneducated people will believe anything on TV or in print. The liberal media counts on it to push agendas.
How does giving even more money to liberal teachers help?

Re: Diversion of money leaves TPWD needing help [Re: don k] #2967842 01/28/12 01:34 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
If their situation is so dire I would be interested in leasing property from them.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide