Print Thread
Biltong #2935671 01/17/12 12:40 AM
C
Chessie Man Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
C
Due to a few requests for this recipe, I've decided to post it up for everyone.

From wiki:

Biltong is a kind of cured meat that originated in South Africa. Many different types of meat are used to produce it, ranging from beef through game meats to fillets of ostrich from commercial farms. It is typically made from raw fillets of meat cut into strips following the grain of the muscle, or flat pieces sliced across the grain. It is similar to beef jerky in that they are both spiced, dried meats, but differ in their typical ingredients, taste and production process; in particular the main difference from jerky is that Biltong does not have a sweet taste.

Also, biltong is air dried rather than using the oven or a dehydrator. I will detail this process later.

Here is the recipe I use. After a bit of trial and error, I tweaked the recipe to suit my tastes. I will make it clear what needs to happen and what you can change.

Basic Ingredients

4-5lbs beef or venison (London Broil) (try to limit the fat)

3 cups coarse salt (Use the black box kosher salt)

2 cups soft brown sugar

1 tsp baking soda (this softens the meat)

•The important thing here is the ratio. I have often found that I have to increase this portion to cover all the meat I use. Make sure you have enough of this mixture, it’s better to error on the side of having too much.

Coarsely ground (cracked)black pepper (just depends how much pepper you like)

Coarsely ground roasted coriander seeds (depends how much you like coriander)

•Do not use ground coriander (powdered)

Red pepper flakes (as hot as you like it)

1.5 cups apple cider vinegar mixed with 1 cup Worcestershire sauce.

Method

Cut the meat into strips of approximately .5 inch strips. (Not long and skinny, but more like .5 in cut NY Strip steak)

Layer in a bowl with the vinegar mix for ½ hour. (Make sure the meat is submerged for the most part)

Layer the meat in the salt/brown sugar/baking soda mixture for 2.5 hrs. Bigger pieces on the bottom, think of it more as packing the meat in this mixtures, not a light coating. USE A GLASS DISH, NOT METAL Depending on the depth of the dish you are using, you might have to drain off some fluid. During this process, you are removing the moisture from the meat.

While the meat is brining, you want to make the spice mixture. I start by toasting the whole coriander seeds in a pan. They will start to pop and smell really good. Don’t put anything in the pan with them, just the seeds. Once they are well toasted, remove from the pan.

At this point you will need to grind the coriander seeds. I usually mix whole black peppercorns and the coriander and course grind in the food processor, and then add chili flakes. A mortar and pestle also work, but if you are doing larger batches, the food processor will come in handy.

After 2.5 hours remove the meat from the brine and rinse in cold water. Make sure no salt sticks to the meat. Pat dry with paper towels.

Now dip the pieces of meat in just Worchester sauce and roll in the spice mixtures. I go pretty heavy because I like the flavor and some falls off during the drying process. Press the mixture into the meat so it sticks.

Drying Process

Typically, biltong is hung out to dry in an arid climate. However, in the winter that is often difficult and the temperatures are too cold or too humid. I prefer to create a controlled drying process.

First, get a box, I use a large U-Haul box. Place the box in a well-ventilated area such as the garage or an unused room. The aromatics of the spice mixture are pretty strong. Lay some paper towels on the bottom to aid in clean up and catch any moisture that might drop from the meat. Next, get a small lamp, without a shade, and place it in the box. Any watt light bulb will work, we just want the constant dry heat put out from the light. The lamp should not be turned off until the drying has finished.

Now we want to place the meat in a box. When I first started, I hung the meat from wooden dowels (using fish hooks) and laid these across the top of the box. However, I found it easier to just lay the meat on elevated racks (oven racks or cookies cooling racks) in the box. Air needs to be above and below.

Place the meat in the box, light on, and then close 2 adjoining sides. This will allow some of the heat to be retained but also move out of the box. This ventilation is crucial so the meat doesn’t get moldy.

The drying process can take anywhere from 2-4+ days. The pieces closer to the lamp will dry quicker and may need to be rotated around. Some pieces will dry quicker than others and can be taken out. The meat will turn a dark brown/black color. There is nothing wrong with it. I do the squeeze test on it. If, it’s pretty hard, then it will be done. It can still have some give to it can be good. It comes down to personal preference, kind of like beef jerky, chewy or dried. There might even be some deep red in the center and it is fine.

Slice into strips (like fajitas) and eat. Biltong will last a while refrigerated (at least a month). Longer if it is really dried. I like mine with just a little moisture still in it.

It sounds fairly tedious, but isn’t. Just make sure you following the soak and brine instructions carefully, everything else is personal preference. This would be considered a classic biltong recipe.

Pm me with any questions.

Enjoy!

Re: Biltong [Re: Chessie Man] #2939911 01/18/12 05:08 AM
B
blancobuster Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
sounds easy enough to me!

Re: Biltong [Re: blancobuster] #2939912 01/18/12 05:08 AM
B
blancobuster Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
good too

Re: Biltong [Re: blancobuster] #2940590 01/18/12 03:40 PM
I
Inyoka Safaris Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
I
Guys Biltong is the best. The prices in SOuth Africa are so crazy, but people still keep on buying.

Re: Biltong [Re: Inyoka Safaris] #2942100 01/19/12 12:51 AM
A
activescrape Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Can you post a picture of it please?

"It's not dyin' I'm talkin' about Woodrow, it's livin'!"
Re: Biltong [Re: activescrape] #2945376 01/20/12 03:32 AM
G
GO REBS Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G

Here is the link for the recipe too.

http://southafricanrecipes.org/south-african-biltong.html

GO REBS
Re: Biltong [Re: GO REBS] #2945683 01/20/12 05:35 AM
C
Chessie Man Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
C
Thanks REBS. I need to make another batch after looking at that picture!!!

Re: Biltong [Re: Chessie Man] #2961887 01/26/12 06:26 AM
J
jdw Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
what ever happened to ted nugents billtong you could get in the gas sattions?

Re: Biltong [Re: jdw] #2963526 01/26/12 09:51 PM
O
OFBHWG Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
Looks Good

When you need a Piano moved there is always someone around to help you with the stool!
Re: Biltong [Re: OFBHWG] #3023472 02/17/12 10:13 PM
L
Loaded Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
I have to go to Johannesburg occasionally for work. I love biltong and eat a ton of it while I am there. I tried to bring some back to share the first time I went there but unfortunately they confiscate it at the airport. I will have to try this recipe to make my own!

Re: Biltong [Re: Loaded] #3026621 02/19/12 05:36 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I love some good biltong. Buddy from down there had a big mess of it for our hunt this year. Dang dog got into his bag while we were hunting and ate it all.

Re: Biltong [Re: Txduckman] #3027278 02/19/12 05:20 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I got some while I was there. Good stuff!!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide