Print Thread
Big Thicket Hunting #2934233 01/16/12 04:26 PM
C
Cavscout1968 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
I am very close to moving to the Beaumont area later this year(its between Nashville, TN or Beaumont TX). If we end up in Texas I will have access to about 80 acres near Warren(in-laws land). I was just there over the holidays and even sat in a gun stand for 2 sets with a family member to see the deer(we didn't see any) or possibly shoot a hog(didn't see any either).

The terrain and vegetation are so different than what I'm used to, I'm not really sure how to begin to bow hunt it. I'm used to sitting high in hardwoods over trails from food sources to bedding area on distinct pinch points. After spending several hours walking the property, I found a few tracks, but they seemed to just cross the dirt(or sand as I saw it, but the wife called dirt) road and dissappear into another clump of thick under growth.

I've been chatting with a few guys on this forum from time to time, but just looking to see if anyone else has some advice more local to what I'm looking at.

US Cavalry, retired
Surviving Wisconsin to live in Texas
7 months till no more snow
Re: Big Thicket Hunting [Re: Cavscout1968] #2934336 01/16/12 04:54 PM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I live about 1/2 mi north of Warren and I hunt near Spurger!!! The deer in the thicket just appear and disappear!!! It takes a lot of scouting and scratches and bruises!!! Are you off of 1943? Look really close to where those tracks go into the thicket and just follow them in!!! Do you have one of the creeks running through? When are you going to be back to Warren? I'm offshore until the 10th/11th of Feb and then home for 5 weeks!!!

I support Cap and Trade - Cap our spending and Trade Obama

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: Big Thicket Hunting [Re: Cavscout1968] #2934355 01/16/12 05:01 PM
T
TF Panther Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I would not move to Beaumont! At least not in the city of Beaumont. Crime in Beaumont proper is ridiculous. I have a ton of relatives in Lumberton 20 mins north of there. Better make it one of the smaller towns outside of Beaumont. Just my .02 cents.

To your question, most people hunt using corn feeders because it is so thick down there. If they are not hunting a feeder they are hunting mowed power or gas lines. If you do not have something to bring them out of the jungle it is hard to hunt. If you do not want to hunt a feeder or have a line, then find creeks with well worn trails running parallel or find where they cross. Is there a pond on the property? If so look for trail leading to it. Is there a food source on property? Same thing look for trails out of the thickets headed to that. Basically hunt a feeder, clear cut, or trail until you figure it out. Get a game cam and set it up on some trails and see what comes through. Good Luck!

You will also be only 45 mins from the texas coast! Some good fishing on the Bolivar penisula and Sabine Lake, red fish, speckled trout, shark, sheephead and flounder. Some good duck and goose hunting near Anuhuac too!

Re: Big Thicket Hunting [Re: TF Panther] #2934392 01/16/12 05:14 PM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
there are a lot of people that work in Beaumont/Port Arther that actually live in Warren, Lumberton, Kountz and Silsbee!!!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: Big Thicket Hunting [Re: TF Panther] #2934393 01/16/12 05:14 PM
C
Cavscout1968 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
I don't plan on living in Beaumont, but the job I am talking about is in Beaumont. We were looking at apartments in Lumberton, till we find a house we want. We stayed in a hotel in Kountze and liked there and Silsbee also, but everyoen is steering us to Lumberton till we're ready to buy.

The property is just off 4770, no water on it yet. They plan on digging a pond in the next few years, but nothing yet. The property will eventually be a cousins dream home. Just a bit down the road from a lake that runs real close to the road way.

US Cavalry, retired
Re: Big Thicket Hunting [Re: Cavscout1968] #2934409 01/16/12 05:24 PM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I know about where you're at then!!! All I can say is the thicket is hard to hunt but if you follow the trails the deer take, and it will take a few minutes to find, you will be able to find some good spots to set up!!! I have both my stands, (Ladder stands), in good locations but I'll only have a 15-20yd shot when I see them but they are both in hardwood thickets!!! I would recommend snake boots and long sleeve shirts for scouting because you will get cuts, scratches and bruises!!!

It only takes about 45min to get to Beaumont from Warren!!! My wife used to work in Beaumont when we first moved to Warren!!!

Re: Big Thicket Hunting [Re: Seadog] #2934725 01/16/12 07:24 PM
C
Cavscout1968 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
I guess next time I get there I'll have to scout harder. I couldn't even find what I would consider a game trail big enough for deer. Its so compact and tight, I don't see how they can move without creating a noticable trail. But I walked all over by Holly Hill and on the family land looking for sign, a rub, scrape, tracks, deer crap and didn't see alot. Like I said before I found a few tracks in the sand, but they were faint and seemed to come out of nothing and go back into nothing.

Right before the family bought the land the owner had it logged, so its lacking tall trees, a few pines here and there but no hardwoods and I didn't see any acorns on the ground. There is 1 gun blind set up with 3 100-150m lanes cut for it. Theres some low land towards the front that looks like it has standing water sometimes.

Are cut lanes still used for bow hunting? I'm okay with only having 10-30m shots, my best spot currently is in a cedar swamp and can't get a decent look outside 18m.

The drive from Warren isn't really an issue for us, its the work. I have a job offer in Nashville(and my best friend in the world lives there) and my wife has one in Beaumont area(and her family lives in Warren) and we know we want out of Wisconsin. So our choice is beyond just financial. Lumberton, Silsbee and Kountze were nice, the area as a whole was great. It was just a matter of finding a place we liked to stay. The cost of living is not that different than Wisconsin, which was odd considering the lower wages being offered down there.

US Cavalry, retired
Re: Big Thicket Hunting [Re: Cavscout1968] #2934812 01/16/12 07:45 PM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
The best thing is not to make a rash decision about job and area!!! Its best to take your time and look at all sides before making a decision and I wish you the best whatever decision you make!!! We used to live in Katy but when Katy stopped being a town and became West Houston, we moved to Warren and we never looked back!!! We love it there!!!

With the deer, you have to look where they go in at all different angles because they do make some sharp turns!!! I watched a couple does one time go into the brush and I couldn't see how until I looked at it for a while!!! What they did is go in at sharp angle and then made about a 150 degree turn and then a 90 degree turn and then went in straight once they got past the "outer" brush line!!! With the lanes cut, you could grow a food plot and put feeder out and use a double bull blind!!! The 18m shot is sometimes all you get without changing the landscape dramatically!!! At my 2 stands, I will hear the deer before I see them!!! They will generally come out on me at 10-15m!!! Talk about a heart pounding adrenoline rush!!!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide