Forums46
Topics538,481
Posts9,737,571
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: BOONER] #2929083 01/14/12 04:45 AM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: BOONERDREAMING
What did I get wrong, an opinion? LMFAO. What valid reason do you have for using supressors to hunt DEER?

Because if someone sights in a rifle with a can for pigs, the point of impact could be different without the can. It would be a pain in the rump to have to resight the gun for deer hunting each time.

What valid reason do you have not to make it legal?

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Tye] #2929170 01/14/12 05:38 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
So because its inconvienent for you is a valid reason? Thats some funny chit right there. I dont need a valid reason not to make it legal. I said I just dont see the need for it for DEER.

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: BOONER] #2929281 01/14/12 10:25 AM
S
Sami Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Sami
What did I get wrong, an opinion? LMFAO. What valid reason do you have for using supressors to hunt DEER?

Simple. To prevent hearing loss. What more do you need?

LOL!!! That is what ear plugs/muffs are for.

That's what I use now, but they are very inconvenient. Also, my son that goes with me hunting has hard time to keep his muffs on. Might as well take off the mufflers on cars and ask people to wear earplugs instead.

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Tye] #2929298 01/14/12 11:30 AM
S
Sami Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Tye
Because if someone sights in a rifle with a can for pigs, the point of impact could be different without the can. It would be a pain in the rump to have to resight the gun for deer hunting each time.

Texas regulations also specify that you are allowed to be in possession of a suppressed firearm if you are in possession of a deer. So that means that if you are deer hunting, you cannot have a suppressed firearm in your vehicle or at your lease camp because if you do shoot a deer and have to transport it home, you will be in violation.

So in order to do everything by the book, if I wanted to hunt deer at legal hours and switch to hogs at night, I would have to go to the lease with my deer rifle first and leave my suppressed weapon home. If I didn't get a deer and wanted to switch to suppressed weapon for hog hunting, I would have to make a trip home in between the hunts. So in practice, no suppressed hog hunting during deer season for me.

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Sami] #2929431 01/14/12 02:39 PM
A
AmoCuernos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Personally I like this idea for all game animals... Hearing loss is a big problem.

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: AmoCuernos] #2929714 01/14/12 05:13 PM
T
tannerlst Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
i lost 25% of my hearing when i was a youngster. it would be nice to keep what hearing i have and not have to lug around hearing protection while hunting. if you do a lot of spot and stalk hunting you really don't want to walk around not being able to hear anything knowing you could take a shot at anytime. some shots opportunity's you don't have a chance to fumble around for your hearing protection. we went walking through some thick stuff and spotted a yote, shot at him and some hogs came running out into the field at around 400 yards.. about 35-40 shots later through a 6.8spc and 308 my buddy's ears were tore up pretty bad. doctor said damage just from that few seconds of fun was gonna take 6 months to fell normal again.

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: tannerlst] #2929868 01/14/12 06:43 PM
W
wchamilton Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Honestly I don't think it is a question of why should we, but one of why shouldn't we?

America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: wchamilton] #2929923 01/14/12 07:22 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
So all of you guys in favor because of hearing protection dont bird hunt?

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: BOONER] #2929942 01/14/12 07:43 PM
O
oulufinn Offline
Tracker
Tracker
O
There will always be those who happily lap up any laws that infringe because they personally aren't affected. It's how we've gotten into the nanny state situation we're in.

"Those dern assault weapons, silencers, etc. Sniper Rifles need to be banned, all they're good fer is killin'!"

This is the attitude that just keeps chipping away from every direction. The antis are a very patient bunch & they'll take all the help they can from anyone who is willing to help them.

NRA Life Member

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen" ~ Dennis Prager
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: BOONER] #2929945 01/14/12 07:46 PM
C
Chris42 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
You have to have something a little better than that.

Cause I want to, and its none of your damn business.

Not meaning to be short or offensive, but what people do with their time and money is their business.

Most people don't "need" to have a 300 ultra magnum to murder bambi from 60 yards out eating from a feeder. Heck, I don't "need" to have a Glock 19 with 16 rounds of 9mm 124 grain HST JHP's on my hip right now. I don't "need" my BCM AR.

But I want them.

What people do with their money and their time is their business. Don't bother me, I won't bother you. People, as a whole, will follow the law. The actions of the the immoral should not effect my actions.

Again, not meaning to offend people, and I probably should not post here, but it upsets me.

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: BOONER] #2929947 01/14/12 07:47 PM
S
Sami Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
With a shotgun, not so much anymore. Shotgun blast will damage your hearing but not nearly as much as a shot from even a .223. I still wear hearing protection while shotgun hunting but I prefer hunting birds with a suppressed rifle.

Now, what does it have to do with hunting with a suppressor?

Photos from back home where suppressors are legal to buy over the counter and are legal for any type of hunting. The only reason why some don't use them is because of their weight. Typical bird hunting trip involves tens of miles of walking with your gear so weight of the rifle is important.

http://forum.eralle.net/viewtopic.php?t=...&highlight=

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Sami] #2929958 01/14/12 07:53 PM
O
oulufinn Offline
Tracker
Tracker
O
Cool pics, Sami! Kinda shoots the whole "Poacher" image in the foot! Dang Finlanders! grin

NRA Life Member

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen" ~ Dennis Prager
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Chris42] #2930160 01/14/12 10:13 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Chris42

Cause I want to, and its none of your damn business.

Not meaning to be short or offensive, but what people do with their time and money is their business.

Most people don't "need" to have a 300 ultra magnum to murder bambi from 60 yards out eating from a feeder. Heck, I don't "need" to have a Glock 19 with 16 rounds of 9mm 124 grain HST JHP's on my hip right now. I don't "need" my BCM AR.

But I want them.

What people do with their money and their time is their business. Don't bother me, I won't bother you. People, as a whole, will follow the law. The actions of the the immoral should not effect my actions.

Again, not meaning to offend people, and I probably should not post here, but it upsets me.

Finally , a damn good answer. But as far as being my business, this is a public forum!!!

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Sami] #2930173 01/14/12 10:20 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Sami
With a shotgun, not so much anymore. Shotgun blast will damage your hearing but not nearly as much as a shot from even a .223. I still wear hearing protection while shotgun hunting but I prefer hunting birds with a suppressed rifle.

Now, what does it have to do with hunting with a suppressor?

Photos from back home where suppressors are legal to buy over the counter and are legal for any type of hunting. The only reason why some don't use them is because of their weight. Typical bird hunting trip involves tens of miles of walking with your gear so weight of the rifle is important.

http://forum.eralle.net/viewtopic.php?t=...&highlight=

Cool pics and I really dont care one way or the other on supressors. Just like to argue every now and then. I just think the hearing thing is pretty weak when there is much cheaper protection available. Hell if they make it legal maybe the prices will go down and normal folks can afford one.

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: BOONER] #2930178 01/14/12 10:22 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I think the line on technology and deer hunting has to be drawn somewhere. Whats next, killing an entire group with a wide beamed laser. The hearing loss argument doesnt hold water, that is what hearing protection is for.

What really doesn’t hold water is the assertion that they are not needed so they shouldn’t be legalized. Since when do we base hunting laws on only what is needed? Our ancestors killed mammoths with spears, so it’s obvious nothing we currently use in the way of firearms, bows, camo, feeders, etc. is needed to kill animals. Does that mean they should be outlawed?

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: BOONER] #2930210 01/14/12 10:34 PM
S
Sami Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

Cool pics and I really dont care one way or the other on supressors. Just like to argue every now and then. I just think the hearing thing is pretty weak when there is much cheaper protection available. Hell if they make it legal maybe the prices will go down and normal folks can afford one.

You can get a suppressor for $200-300 + $200 for the tax stamp. I don't think it will get any cheaper than that even if they make it legal to hunt game animals in Texas. I just don't get why the hearing protection is a weak argument since the suppressor is a much more convenient way to protect your hearing. Mufflers get on the way when taking a shot and wearing plugs all day hurt the ears. Suppressor is especially good for those of us who like to hunt the traditional way and not just wait for them to show up at feeders.

If you want to talk about a weak argument against suppressor use, it's the usual BS about poachers.

Current states that allow game hunting with suppressors:

Alaska
Arkansas
Colorado
Kansas
Kentucky
Mississippi
Nebraska
Oregon
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Utah
Virginia
West Virginia
Wisconsin

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Sami] #2930217 01/14/12 10:38 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Dang where do you get your supressors at?

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: BOONER] #2930221 01/14/12 10:40 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
And I do agree with you on the poacher part. There may be a few more oppurtunistic chances for some but for the most part I dont think its an issue with poaching.

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: BOONER] #2930224 01/14/12 10:42 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
But if they are only 200 bucks I guess it could become one. But there are already plenty of poachers that just use .22's anyway.

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: BOONER] #2930250 01/14/12 10:56 PM
S
Sami Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Dang where do you get your supressors at?

You CAN get (no pun intended). Even if they are $200, you still have to pay another $200 for the tax stamp and wait for months to get it (background check). I paid $600 for my first 7.62 suppressor and I have two cheap ones waiting for paperwork, .45 for $205 and 7.62 for $280. Those are group buy prices.

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Bwana83] #2930265 01/14/12 11:07 PM
J
JonnyRay Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Bwana83
Hearing protection can be worn, why would we make it legal and allow something that makes a poacher more incognito? That's why immoral people don't poach, the fear of getting caught. Suppressors make it much more difficult to locate where a shot came from and also cuts down the distance the shot can be heard from obviously. It's why poachers use coke bottles and such, because supressors are currently illegal. I'm not saying I'm for or against it (it's the first time I have ever thought about it actually) but let's not lie to others or ourselves about suppressors being a poachers best friend

So what your saying is sense suppressors are currently not allowed for hunting game animals that poachers don't want to break the law and use them?

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: BOONER] #2930826 01/15/12 03:59 AM
T
txgunner00 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T

I think the BEST reason is the one TPWD is using to justify the change. In their extensive research, they can find no case of poaching that involved suppressors. In short, the benefits outweigh the risks.

Finally! A lawmaker I using logic in his work!

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: txgunner00] #2931920 01/15/12 07:30 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Seeing the post that has Mississippi as one of the places they are legal I am going to check into that now for hunting there. Might have to get a can for one of the 44Mag carbines I hunt with there a lot.

I also think why not make them legal in Texas, they are used for hogs already and why subject out ears to more than necessary. I have the Walker Game ears but still prefer to hunt without them, but they are now in for dove hunts and sometimes when deer hunting. I have enough hearing damage that I do not need any more.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: kmon11] #2936864 01/17/12 11:37 AM
G
Gingerbeard Man Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
This booner character is nothing more than your common forum Troll who has little to nothing more to do than get people's blood pressure up. Ignore the ignorance, support the cause, or don't and when it finally passes, make sure to copy the link and flood him inbox with all the laughter.

Do you own a GM vehicle? If so, join us here:
www.customgm.com
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Gingerbeard Man] #2949971 01/22/12 01:31 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'm for it. I was planning on buying one for hog hunting anyway. I'm an ethical hunter, never a poacher. I had 6 deer in the scope with 5 minutes of legal shooting light left, 2 weeks ago, and didn't take a shot because I couldn't positively 100% guarantee I was zeroed in on a doe and not a fork horned buck. So I call BS on the non-ethical taking of game.

I've got corrected vision, I don't need to add hearing problems to the mix. I wear ear plugs around my neck but sometimes things happen too fast to put them in. Or you've got an animal looking at you and you can't make the movement to put in the plugs.

Make surpressors legal, I say!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide