Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Never going back [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #292822 01/10/08 12:53 AM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
then theres the ones that advertise gun stores and don't, won't answer the phone.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Never going back [Re: colt45-90] #292823 01/10/08 03:09 AM
P
pyledriver Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Patrtick, you must be nicer than I am.. I went in there (Gunmaster) one day a few years back and asked one of the guys about a tool I needed for reloading. I couldn't remember what it was called since I was just getting into reloading, but described it to him. He talked to me like I was a complete idiot in front of my son, WHICH P'D ME O! I turned around and chewed him out for talking to me that way and asked him if he'd rather I go buy it somewhere else! He looked GENUINELY surprised by my reaction and started acting nice real quick! I haven't had him act horsey since, and Ed, if he's still there is always nice. However, the black dude, I think his whole job is based on telling you why you don't want something. He actually does have a bit of knowledge, but doesn't know when he's exceeded his limit! There's another guy there, don't know his name, reminds me of Kent but a bit older-he can be kinda horsey as well..

I hate to see that happening because I like having a mom and pop shop still around, instead of dealing with some half-baked idiot at a big box store. They do sell or can order things that a big box store won't or can't get, and those guys DO have good advice to give. I've also had Kent do some light gunsmithing work for me, which I was very happy with. I've heard a report or two of folks being unhappy with his work though, but I bet he would make it right. I also LIKE to think things can change. SO--

All identities private-I'm headed over there tomorrow and talk to Kent and SHOW him this thread and ask him what he'd like to be doing in 5 years...

"Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it" -Mark Twain

Re: Never going back [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #292824 01/10/08 05:41 AM
Y
yukons95 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Y
Sounds like nagel's gun shop here in San Antonio!

Re: Never going back [Re: Brother in-law] #292825 01/10/08 11:47 AM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Okay, here's some balance. I've bought several firearms at Cabela's in Fort Worth lately and they have always been knowledgable, friendly, and courteous. You may have to wait your turn if there are a bunch of customers and only 2 or 3 salesmen but they've done me right.

I wonder if there's some reason that places like Cabela's and BPS can hire good salesmen but some of the smaller shops seem to hire jerks. I'm definitely not anti-mon and pop. My wife is self employed. I have my own side business selling stone tools/weapons. But...I also work for a company with 87,000 employees and annual revenues over $17B so I see both worlds.

It's quite possible the the larger shops/corporations have more formal policies on employee behaviour, enforce those policies, and maybe even pay a little better. I don't want to pi$$ off any of the shop owners here; I just don't understand it. Even an earlier post on this thread names a good store but says the owner's a jerk. ?????

I can understand a busy salesman, I can overlook it if a salesman is not the ultimate expert on an issue, but I won't tolerate bad service for a second. One strike and you're out.

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: Never going back [Re: Crazyhorse] #292826 01/10/08 12:15 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
Yeah - but - if you own a business and really care how it thrives, then you either choke down the dumbarse's attitudes or you lose business. It takes all kinds.

What don't matter to some businesses is that they don't care what you do and don't want or need unless you are part of their usual customers. And that goes for Mom-n-Pops and the big chains. That's all bent right there.

On the other hand, some companies have lost business because of their customers, or the type of customers their merchandise draws in. Like this thread - talking about guns and such - gangstas and crackheads are looking for tools to steal and kill with. Each company, imo, has to have some policy against allowing those folks to purchase guns (and Vernon might know what that is), even if it means profiling. JMHO. But there's no excuse for treating good folks like crap because a few gangsta/crackheads put a sour taste in your mouth.

Re: Never going back [Re: Big Orn] #292827 01/10/08 04:30 PM
T
TexasShooter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
pyledriver
I will be very interested to see what kind of response you get when you present this thread to the owner. Like I said I have done busniess with them in the past and been very satisfied. Don't know if they were just pushed with the holidays and all or what. I also like to have a store like that open so that we can get the hard to get items. Please let us all know what he has to say.

Re: Never going back [Re: TexasShooter] #292828 01/10/08 04:32 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
Quote:

pyledriver
I will be very interested to see what kind of response you get when you present this thread to the owner. Like I said I have done busniess with them in the past and been very satisfied. Don't know if they were just pushed with the holidays and all or what. I also like to have a store like that open so that we can get the hard to get items. Please let us all know what he has to say.

If we get a response, and it's legit, then it will go a long way in saving his rep, imo.

Re: Never going back [Re: Big Orn] #292829 01/10/08 05:25 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Well, I never try to judge too quick, I've seen millionaires in overalls and thieves in suits....but we (and now that's me, wife, son, and the occasional help from Redneck_Mesiah) try to be polite and courteous to all.

We will work with anybody from anywhere. I have discouraged a small few customers from purchasing from me. I've used several methods, from not having them in stock, or its already sold, or, sorry...

Like I mentioned before, I try to let the real customers decide on what's best, and try to help answer their questions and lead and guide where necessary. Like the grandma with the S&W 500...or the 120lb deer hunter with the 7mmSTW, they knew what they were buying before they bought them.

We are a small shop, with a unique and dedicated client base. We are always open to adding someone to our list of friends. Most people like to have a "friend in the gun business" or whatever business it is. We try to do that.

I have seen many other gun shops come and go, both near and far from us. We've been here 21 years come March 1. I think we have adapted more than some do, and avoided some of the pitfalls some make. I know we've made our share of mistakes in planning and managing our busines as well.

I know it's been a loss to us the last year or so since my father in law can't be here to help during the day. His passing on 12/30/07 has been a big loss, personally and professionally.

We are in a unique situation, that growth will require more time and effort, and probably reaching for employees outside the family again. We've done that before, but for us, it's hard to find someone you trust well enough to walk away and let them run the place. Guess I am a skeptic.

We've had good part-time help...off-duty cops; retired highway patrolmen; retired teachers/coaches; and a retired mechanical genius...., and a great fellow gunsmith that was full-time, and several minor partners that have come and gone in various ventures.

I think that's one of the main drawbacks of the mom-pop places....finding quality help that you trust.

We'll get a bump when Zeke turns 18 and can legally work by himself (he has our confidence now). We sure appreciate the help Redneck Mesiah/Mickey lends us when he's off and not baby sitting...But to find someone that is knowledgable enough to do the job, and smart enough when to say "I don't know" when they don't; and willing to work for what I can afford to pay...then we have someone.

One great deal was a retired officer that had a second business of his own, that he could work on while he managed our store. He got a free place to display and market his wares...free rent and utilities during the day, heck, even had a desk, computer, phone, and internet, even a recliner and a fridge...but he worked for near nothing. If anyone around here fits those lines let me know.

Re: Never going back [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #292830 01/10/08 05:45 PM
C
crosscuthunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I have been out to siggs place and I liked it him and the Redneck Mesiah were quite nice I will defiantly buy from him. First impressions are the one that mater the most he waited for me and helped me when I was lost. It is not the biggest place but he makes up for it in service.

Re: Never going back [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #292831 01/10/08 08:59 PM
M
MUDRTRKR Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I just bought a new Remington Genesis in line from Cabelas. Salesmans name was Jeff, he is K9 cop in Rhome and works for Cabelas on his off days. Cool as hell and knows his stuff with muzzleloaders. A good friend of mine runs a pawn shop in Lewisville he lets me check out all the upcoming guns when I go in there. He holds for me till I can pick up. Sweet deal.

Re: Never going back [Re: MUDRTRKR] #292832 01/10/08 09:43 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
When I went I was one of two people with 4 people working. It was like nothing in modern times customer service Ive dealt with. If I had a bad vibe look to me I understand, this was bad.

Re: Never going back [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #292833 01/10/08 10:13 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
You apparently haven't met old Roger George at Pigon road Gun Range in stephenville. Now that is a peice of work when you caught him in a bad mood. But they always carry the good hard to find stuff. I will give his son a lot of credit. Great guy, easy going and always has time to help you. And a very sharp gunsmith at that. But his daddy is a piece of work

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Never going back [Re: BOBO the Clown] #292834 01/10/08 10:29 PM
C
chestnut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
You guys are right about the www. It is supplying an alternative to the Mom and Pop stores that will stock or order parts and hard-to-get things. So, these stores need to be aware that they're not the only game in town, anymore.

If it were me, I'd sit down and write an actual snail-mail letter to the owner of the store if I got lousy service. In this day and age a real letter can cause people to sit up and take notice.

Re: Never going back [Re: chestnut] #292835 01/10/08 10:37 PM
B
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
I honestly dont know how they do it anymore in the middle of town. Especially with 4-5 dudes sucking down hourly money. I like Mom and Pop stores but with the www. you are right.

Re: Never going back [Re: Brother in-law] #292836 01/11/08 01:36 AM
P
pyledriver Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Guys, I got buried in meetings today! I went ahead and called G'master and talked to Ed and gave him the THF site and told him to look at the thread. He was nice as always but I could tell he was wondering what it was all about. I told him that I wanted him to look at the post and let the others know because what is talked about here DOES affect their business. I never had a chance to call him back, but will tomorrow! I might even try to go over there at lunch again since I think face to face would be better.

NOW. The www., yep, when the world is your marketplace it's gonna be hard for ANYBODY to compete if they don't run things right! Tough spot to be!

Here's my take on the overall issue of the mom & pop shops. When the big box stores come in, they usually run the little guys out, at least if the little guys are selling the same things. This is usually not a matter of if, but WHEN. Even if the little guy has better stuff, it's a slow death. So the good deals that bring everybody in can literally end up being the noose around your neck when all the mom and pops are gone, and big box o'ramaworld decides to stop selling guns because it's not politically correct! IT HAS HAPPENED ALREADY IN MANY TOWNS! Don't think it won't or can't happen right here in the metromess! A corporation like WalMart starts getting really squirrely when it gets fat off profits from killing the competition, then finding no more competition to speak of, yet STILL needing to increase sales. So they begin to pander..to whoever they think they don't have as a customer. Pandering means that the vocal minority will now decide whether the local WallyWorld will continue to sell your favorite '06 ammo. In short-we're screwed!

So I would just encourage everybody to give these (all gunshop) folks a chance, let them know when they're screwing up because they represent a choice that you have and a value that is not always seen if you only look at a price tag!

"Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it" -Mark Twain

Re: Never going back [Re: pyledriver] #292837 01/11/08 01:53 AM
C
CTK3 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
i buy almost all my guns from a small shop north of abilene.

the guy is a little pricey on his guns, but he is honest, 5 blocks from my house, and he will let me pay on it if i choose, and he can fix them/order parts if something happens.

yeah, i could go to acadamy or wally-world and get the same guns for $100-$150 less....

but customer service AND building a trusting relationship with a small buisness owner can go along way.

Re: Never going back [Re: pyledriver] #292838 01/11/08 03:05 AM
B
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Quote:

Guys, I got buried in meetings today! I went ahead and called G'master and talked to Ed and gave him the THF site and told him to look at the thread. He was nice as always but I could tell he was wondering what it was all about. I told him that I wanted him to look at the post and let the others know because what is talked about here DOES affect their business. I never had a chance to call him back, but will tomorrow! I might even try to go over there at lunch again since I think face to face would be better.

NOW. The www., yep, when the world is your marketplace it's gonna be hard for ANYBODY to compete if they don't run things right! Tough spot to be!

Here's my take on the overall issue of the mom & pop shops. When the big box stores come in, they usually run the little guys out, at least if the little guys are selling the same things. This is usually not a matter of if, but WHEN. Even if the little guy has better stuff, it's a slow death. So the good deals that bring everybody in can literally end up being the noose around your neck when all the mom and pops are gone, and big box o'ramaworld decides to stop selling guns because it's not politically correct! IT HAS HAPPENED ALREADY IN MANY TOWNS! Don't think it won't or can't happen right here in the metromess! A corporation like WalMart starts getting really squirrely when it gets fat off profits from killing the competition, then finding no more competition to speak of, yet STILL needing to increase sales. So they begin to pander..to whoever they think they don't have as a customer. Pandering means that the vocal minority will now decide whether the local WallyWorld will continue to sell your favorite '06 ammo. In short-we're screwed!

So I would just encourage everybody to give these (all gunshop) folks a chance, let them know when they're screwing up because they represent a choice that you have and a value that is not always seen if you only look at a price tag!

What he said.

Re: Never going back [Re: Brother in-law] #292839 01/11/08 03:31 AM
B
Big Daddy K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I pretty much buy all my guns at big stores. Too many mom and pop types try and screw ya out of your last dime and laugh about it behind your back.
Mom and pops stores lost their buisiness because most of them are azz holes, think they are better than us, and really put a screwin to ya on price. JMHO

It ain't easy being me.

Re: Never going back [Re: Big Daddy K] #292840 01/11/08 12:28 PM
duck & cover
duck & cover
Thanks for the kind words all of you. We try.

As for competing with big stores, Pyledriver has a good point, if I try to sell Remington Express Shotguns and Marlin Model 60's for a living, I'd be out too. There been several come and go since we started, but we tend to hang in there.

Big Daddy K, man I hope your negative experiences didn't come from us. We'll try to win you over if you give us a chance someday. We sure don't think we are better, just try to work harder and do better next time.

Re: Never going back [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #292841 01/11/08 01:42 PM
B
Big Daddy K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Nope I'm in Sulphur Springs;)

It ain't easy being me.

Re: Never going back [Re: Brother in-law] #292842 01/11/08 07:00 PM
C
Cruz Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
And I though i had it bad. I try to Support the local shops (not big box stores) and I used to buy guns exclusively from a shop that did mostly gunsmith until he was closed down. I had to make due with some other shop, the service depends on the mood of the staff. I would like to know how they decide to markup their guns though. It seems totally random. Recently I got really tuned off when they had on their racks a few Carbines from the CMP marked for $800 and too make it look like a deal on the tag they had $1200 crossed out

Re: Never going back [Re: Cruz] #292843 01/11/08 07:40 PM
duck & cover
duck & cover
Quote:

And I though i had it bad. I try to Support the local shops (not big box stores) and I used to buy guns exclusively from a shop that did mostly gunsmith until he was closed down. I had to make due with some other shop, the service depends on the mood of the staff. I would like to know how they decide to markup their guns though. It seems totally random. Recently I got really tuned off when they had on their racks a few Carbines from the CMP marked for $800 and too make it look like a deal on the tag they had $1200 crossed out

Most things are totally up to the retailer. Some products have some limits they try to impose. We have some things we can sell at whatever price, but can't advertise below a certain point. Some things we can't sell on the internet (Aimpoint), yet I see others doing it blatantly. I think its all pretty hit and miss on pricing.

We are in 8-10% markup on most things. Hard to be competitive over that. Wish every retailer had that limit....no, not really.

Re: Never going back [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #292844 01/11/08 07:46 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Hey sig,

I have a quick question for you if you dont mind.

Does Leupold tell retailers that they cant sell their product for less than a certain price?

The reason I ask is because I went to buy a scope a while back and tried to get someone that I usually deal with to beat the price I was quoted by another place and he said he would get in trouble with Leupold if he sold it that cheap.

Re: Never going back [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #292845 01/11/08 09:31 PM
C
Cruz Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I do think many folks mistakenly expect to see internet prices at local shops and that is not going to happen. The one thing i can't stand and it happens from time to time is being lied to by the staff. I asked if they do transfers and dude behind the counter goes on how to BATF does not let them. A simple no would have done. And while asking about the CMP carbine on the rack he goes on how the "Distributor" they got it from does not let them lower the price. Right....

Re: Never going back [Re: Cruz] #292846 01/14/08 02:16 PM
F
fishmagnet Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
I live in Plano and have done quite a few transactions with the personality-less folks at GunMaster. Used to visit them often at their old location at Parker & Custer.

They generally have reasonable prices and a pretty good selection of guns and accessories, but trying to dig information out of them is like trying to shuck a dozen slippery fresh oysters.

I don't expect much conversation, simply go in, get what I need, and get out.

When seeking advice, I prefer McClelland's, D-Ray's, or Ray's on Singleton, and guess what, neither of them are perfect either.

Last edited by fishmagnet; 01/14/08 02:19 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide