Forums46
Topics538,311
Posts9,735,658
Members87,078
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: A.B.] #2925283 01/13/12 01:48 AM
H
Hunter1975 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Its very sad to see how many people would shoot a dog just for crossing a property line. Dogs cant read nor do they know what a fence is! Not every hog hunter is an outlaw.. Hogs run really far sometimes and dogs follow. Why not prosecute the hunter if they are hunting illegal or grab the dog most have names and phone numbers on the collar. For those that say a dog on your property is a dead dog... What would your children feel like if your house dog got loose and your neighbor killed it????? Sounds like ignorance talking to me!!

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: rifleman] #2925369 01/13/12 02:12 AM
C
catchrcall Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: rifleman
It's assumed domesticated dogs are kenneled up or contained to properties they belong. Wild dogs cross property lines in pursuit of females or animals.

BS. Wild dogs don't have collars, let alone big four inch collars and tracking collars with antennas sticking up.

Stand up for your rights to own and hunt with dogs
Join the Lonestar Working Dog Association
www.lswda.org
Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: M Bennet] #2925382 01/13/12 02:15 AM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
You can tell the guys who run hog dogs from this thread.

I have specifically had several law enforcement officers including a sheriff and a game warden tell me that a dog being an aggressive breed is enough to shoot it if it's on your land. Flat out said, "If there's a pitbull on your property that's not yours, I'd shoot it." So if you're running pits or pit crosses, that is more than enough to legally justify shooting one if it's not where it's supposed to be. It doesn't have to bite someone - if it's running and barking, that's aggressive behavior. Period.

I suggest if you can't keep your dogs where they belong, you don't run them.

And for the record, I'm not someone that would shoot a dog. I'm just saying that there aren't many cops that are going to arrest someone or press charges for shooting a dog that's not supposed to be on your property unless it's a shitzu.

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: A.B.] #2925414 01/13/12 02:23 AM
P
pokerj2 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
up

President of American Entitlements LLC
Health insurance agency focusing in all ages from ACA plans all the way through Medicare.
Office is based in Wylie, TX
We have local agents in both Texas and Louisiana
469-814-0289
Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: cameron00] #2925415 01/13/12 02:23 AM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
From a legal standpoint, in order to successfully prosecute someone for shooting a dog illegally on their property, you'd have to prove that the dog wasn't being aggressive.

Unless you have video of the dog when it was shot, you're not going to have a prayer of winning that case.

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: cameron00] #2925430 01/13/12 02:27 AM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
When you deal with dogs chasing and harassing your cattle, terrorizing your show pigs, and messing with deer, it all changes. I have several students and former students who I allow to run their dogs on my land and help with my pig problem, but a dog running lose or hunters without permission to be on my land, the jig is up.

Talent is a gift, character is a decision.
Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: A.B.] #2925445 01/13/12 02:32 AM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
There's a big group of hog doggers on the property that surrounds me. I'm sure their dogs come through my place from time to time and I don't really care as long as it's not deer season.

That said, there are also a ton of feral dogs in my area. Everybody shoots them if/when they see them. Nobody where I am would even try to get someone in trouble for shooting a dog. Too many that are too big a problem.

As noted, the LE officers heavily suggest shooting them and do so themselves. If somebody shoots your hog dog, you're SOL. Better start training a new one.

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: cameron00] #2925454 01/13/12 02:33 AM
5Redman8 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I don't have hog dogs but I do have bird dogs....GSPs.....never have had them get on anyone's property where they do not belong....BUT I can guaranty if it ever happened and my dog was killed, I would go through Hell and high water to slit the throat of whomever did the killing!

AVOID.....Luna Canyon Outdoor Adventures Chacon NM Elk Hunting. Owner James Duran

https://www.huntnorthnm.com/

PM for details
Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: cameron00] #2925472 01/13/12 02:37 AM
O
Old Rabbit Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
I understand that the dogs can't read, but when the owners drive down a road where we lease both sides for over a mile and turn their dogs loose in the middle of our lease it sure makes us mad. Still I don't shoot a dog with a collar.

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: A.B.] #2925480 01/13/12 02:38 AM
M
M Bennet Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
thats the one i like,yur dog was chasing my deer.nobody owns the deer they roam for miles.you let a 130 walk on yur lease and yur nabor kills it thats lol. i hood hunt so its hard for my dogs to mess up

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: 5Redman8] #2925481 01/13/12 02:39 AM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: 5Redman8
I don't have hog dogs but I do have bird dogs....GSPs.....never have had them get on anyone's property where they do not belong....BUT I can guaranty if it ever happened and my dog was killed, I would go through Hell and high water to slit the throat of whomever did the killing!

You'd probably get shot in the process.

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: cameron00] #2925487 01/13/12 02:39 AM
S
SwampHunterFw Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: cameron00
You can tell the guys who run hog dogs from this thread.

I have specifically had several law enforcement officers including a sheriff and a game warden tell me that a dog being an aggressive breed is enough to shoot it if it's on your land. Flat out said, "If there's a pitbull on your property that's not yours, I'd shoot it." So if you're running pits or pit crosses, that is more than enough to legally justify shooting one if it's not where it's supposed to be. It doesn't have to bite someone - if it's running and barking, that's aggressive behavior. Period.

I suggest if you can't keep your dogs where they belong, you don't run them.

And for the record, I'm not someone that would shoot a dog. I'm just saying that there aren't many cops that are going to arrest someone or press charges for shooting a dog that's not supposed to be on your property unless it's a shitzu.

they can an will arrest you for shooting a hunting dog ,the dogs cant read an if they are running a wild hog they are not being aggressive to person or property , you never know the dog may just be lost ,why would you shoot the dog for no reason ? just for walking through your place ? thats stupid the dog was just doing his job trying to catch a hog , if they are tressapassing catch the people , its not worth shooting the dog an goin to jail then paying who knows how much for that dog that they can prove was not aggresive an the line that it was runing cows or whatever is a hard one to pull to if they have people to testify that the dog was trash broke , its better to catch the dog an wait till the owner shows up 99 percent of hunting dogs are not going to be agressive to people an the owner will be looking for there dog an just think how would you like your kids dog being shoot just because ?

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: M Bennet] #2925495 01/13/12 02:41 AM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
"thats the one i like,yur dog was chasing my deer.nobody owns the deer they roam for miles.you let a 130 walk on yur lease and yur nabor kills it thats lol. i hood hunt so its hard for my dogs to mess up"

If a dog is chasing a deer and the landowner videos it, he'll win any argument saying the dog wouldn't chase livestock.

Again, almost impossible to prove a dog that's chasing an animal isn't aggressive or a potential threat towards livestock.

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: cameron00] #2925505 01/13/12 02:42 AM
F
fbchunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
There's a big group of hog doggers on the property that surrounds me. I'm sure their dogs come through my place from time to time and I don't really care as long as it's not deer season.

That said, there are also a ton of feral dogs in my area. Everybody shoots them if/when they see them. Nobody where I am would even try to get someone in trouble for shooting a dog. Too many that are too big a problem.

As noted, the LE officers heavily suggest shooting them and do so themselves. If somebody shoots your hog dog, you're SOL. Better start training a new one.

X1000000. I am sorry but I don't trust any wild dog I see. Especially pit bulls, no matter what anyone says. I cant stand when people say, "My dogs dont chase deer!" That may be so, but do you think the deer on my property know if that particular dog is chasing hogs and only hogs?? Many times the deer in certain areas, especially in my experience in East Texas, are scared skitless of any dog or just the scent of a dog in the woods! I have hog doggin friends, but they do understand if their dogs run on someone elses property they could be a few dogs short on their trip home!

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: SwampHunterFw] #2925513 01/13/12 02:43 AM
S
SwampHunterFw Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
i for got most hog dogs or any kind of hunting dog will have a collar or multiple collars on so just remeber that before you start shooting , if it is chaseing you stuff , catch the dog an the owner will pay for the stuff , if you kill it thats a diffrent story

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: 5Redman8] #2925520 01/13/12 02:44 AM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
Originally Posted By: 5Redman8

Your bird dog comes on my place he is likely to get a good petting and make a new friend. Got a soft spot for pointers and the like. As far as slitting a throat. Well, that wont happen. If it does you are one bad son of a gun.

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: cameron00] #2925527 01/13/12 02:45 AM
S
SwampHunterFw Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
"thats the one i like,yur dog was chasing my deer.nobody owns the deer they roam for miles.you let a 130 walk on yur lease and yur nabor kills it thats lol. i hood hunt so its hard for my dogs to mess up"

If a dog is chasing a deer and the landowner videos it, he'll win any argument saying the dog wouldn't chase livestock.

Again, almost impossible to prove a dog that's chasing an animal isn't aggressive or a potential threat towards livestock.

the state own the deer thought not the land owner

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: SwampHunterFw] #2925534 01/13/12 02:46 AM
S
SwampHunterFw Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
belive me i know how yall feel about tresspasser i run hog dogs an , just went through this catching some people hunting on my places but i anit gonna shoot there dogs

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: A.B.] #2925542 01/13/12 02:48 AM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
I will put it like this. I and my family live on this property. They are out with their cows and pigs all the time. My son is always in the woods. I will protect them from a breed of dog that I deem a danger to them. I will not ask permission or foregiveness. The situation has only come to pass once. I did as I said I would.

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: SwampHunterFw] #2925548 01/13/12 02:49 AM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
Originally Posted By: SwampHunterFw

I am borrowing the deer and the cattle and pigs and children are mine.

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: SwampHunterFw] #2925555 01/13/12 02:50 AM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
belive me i know how yall feel about tresspasser i run hog dogs an , just went through this catching some people hunting on my places but i anit gonna shoot there dogs

Neither will I.

I'm just pointing out that if you're running dogs and relying on LE officers to arrest someone that shoots your trespassing dogs, you're likely going to be very disappointed. It's not going to happen.

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: SwampHunterFw] #2925568 01/13/12 02:52 AM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C

Completely irrelevant.

All one has to do to be completely legally within his rights to shoot a dog on his property is demonstrate that he had reason to believe it might be aggressive towards him or his animals.

A dog chasing a deer has proven that point for him. There isn't a judge in the State that would even try to prosecute that.

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: SwampHunterFw] #2925572 01/13/12 02:52 AM
M
M Bennet Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
i hunt in high fences and we drive by 190 inch deer and my dogs on the hood.and they dont run off.i didnt think deer were livestock.im not a outlaw but somebody shoot one of my dogs i would become one .eye for eye and a tooth for a tooth .you take mine i take yurs only fair.
somebody shoots a deer off yur place you catch the poacher , not his kid

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: cameron00] #2925582 01/13/12 02:54 AM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
The other side of the argument:

If someone had a video of a dog walking around ignoring the livestock that was wearing a collar and wagged its tail when it saw people, they would have proof that the dog wasn't aggressive.

Hog dogs aren't usually behaving as described above.

Re: Pic, of big hog, & note for trespassers, enjoy! [Re: M Bennet] #2925586 01/13/12 02:55 AM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: M Bennet
i hunt in high fences and we drive by 190 inch deer and my dogs on the hood.and they dont run off.i didnt think deer were livestock.im not a outlaw but somebody shoot one of my dogs i would become one .eye for eye and a tooth for a tooth .you take mine i take yurs only fair.
somebody shoots a deer off yur place you catch the poacher , not his kid

Yeah, sure.

And if his kid was chasing deer on your place, he is the poacher.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide