Print Thread
Three Species permitting Madness #2920864 01/11/12 08:45 PM
T
TxAg Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
Anybody else want to bang their head against the wall as a result of this ridiculous decision regarding Scimitar, Dama Gazelle, and Addax? bang bang

For the life of me I can't figure out how anyone thought this was a good idea. Who in their right mind says "Ok, Texas has brought back endangered species from the point of extinction thru sustainable hunting and ranching. Let's get rid of all that, and instead incentivize land owners to no longer raise them and eliminate their existing herds"

It's a bad deal for hunters, land owners, and most importantly the animals themselves!!! Just plain ignorant, and it makes me sick.

Re: Three Species permitting Madness [Re: TxAg] #2920926 01/11/12 09:16 PM
JakeinTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Its not about the animals. Anyone with an ounce of sense can see that. It is all about PeTA and HSUSA striking a blow against hunters. This was a legal easy way for them to do it! Use current laws against us. As said before, who knows whats next? Black Buck, Axis, Gemsbok, Whitetail, feral hogs, dog breeds, the list goes on and on! This is a big reason to join NRA and either EWA, DSC, or SCI (or all of them if budget permits).

Re: Three Species permitting Madness [Re: JakeinTX] #2921038 01/11/12 09:54 PM
T
T4PL Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Has anyone actually tried to get a permit under the new regulations yet?

Maybe it won't be as bad as you think. I have followed the debate and it seems, to me at least, that SCI and other hunting groups were involved and voiced their concerns for those ranchers who have done the right thing in managing/increasing numbers for the species involved.

Not to say your concerns are not warranted, but why don't we wait and see, get some actual testimony from ranchers who apply for the permit.

Class of 2003
Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences
Re: Three Species permitting Madness [Re: T4PL] #2921171 01/11/12 10:29 PM
H
Hill Country Hunter Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: T4PL

Maybe it won't be as bad as you think. I have followed the debate and it seems, to me at least, that SCI and other hunting groups were involved and voiced their concerns for those ranchers who have done the right thing in managing/increasing numbers for the species involved.

Not to say your concerns are not warranted, but why don't we wait and see, get some actual testimony from ranchers who apply for the permit.

Ask the U.K. what wait and see did for guns and hunting in their country. Everytime animal rights and anti-gun groups try to get a foot un the door we need to slam that door shut. If not what is next?

Psalm 3:3 - But you, O LORD, are a shield around me; you are my glory, the one who holds my head high.
Re: Three Species permitting Madness [Re: Hill Country Hunter] #2921229 01/11/12 10:48 PM
T
T4PL Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: Hill Country Hunter

Ask the U.K. what wait and see did for guns and hunting in their country. Everytime animal rights and anti-gun groups try to get a foot un the door we need to slam that door shut. If not what is next?

Do you know how long I was suggesting we "wait and see"? The new rules go into effect 60 days after January 1st, if I remember correctly. Do the math. Is that still too long for you or are you already making preparations for an armed assault because you believe this is the end of guns and hunting in America?

Let's say we have a rancher who has a herd of Oryx. He applies for the permit and receives the permit with little difficulty. He then posts on this forum and says "Hey guys, this new permitting issue isn't really all that much of an inconvenience".

You probably think my scenario is a fantasy, just like I think your fantastic suggestion that American gun and hunting laws will mirror the UK because of animal rights groups. You need to read up on the history of hunting in Europe. It has always been highly restricted favoring nobility.

Class of 2003
Re: Three Species permitting Madness [Re: T4PL] #2921533 01/12/12 12:09 AM
JakeinTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
They (United Fish and Wildlife Service) has not said how permits will work or how many permits will be available. Those at the EWA can probably tell you what some of the other permitted animals are like. All I can tell you is that there are a lot less Oryx today then a month or two ago!

Re: Three Species permitting Madness [Re: T4PL] #2921638 01/12/12 12:42 AM
2010bigdog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: Hill Country Hunter

Do you know how long I was suggesting we "wait and see"? The new rules go into effect 60 days after January 1st, if I remember correctly. Do the math. Is that still too long for you or are you already making preparations for an armed assault because you believe this is the end of guns and hunting in America?

Let's say we have a rancher who has a herd of Oryx. He applies for the permit and receives the permit with little difficulty. He then posts on this forum and says "Hey guys, this new permitting issue isn't really all that much of an inconvenience".

You probably think my scenario is a fantasy, just like I think your fantastic suggestion that American gun and hunting laws will mirror the UK because of animal rights groups. You need to read up on the history of hunting in Europe. It has always been highly restricted favoring nobility.

If my memory serves me well, the U.S. separated itself from Great Britian's insanity and nobility back around 1776. We need to do everyting possible to avoid becoming like them again! Rest on our laurels(sp?) and it will be too late. Continue to fight for your rights now or kiss them good bye when you're "waiting to see what happens."

Re: Three Species permitting Madness [Re: T4PL] #2921949 01/12/12 02:04 AM
007007 Offline
Tracker
Tracker

"WAIT AND SEE" .....What a joke. What choice do we the land owners and owners of the animals have other than shooting them?

�shaking it up here boss!�
Re: Three Species permitting Madness [Re: 007007] #2922851 01/12/12 01:12 PM
H
huntnguide83 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
We have looked into them and not willing to take the risk of loosing the ranch should we still be waiting to get our permits before April 4th and they come and make a visit. They are expecting a lead time wait of 6-12 months on hunting permits. It may be appealing to some ranchers but it in no way is for us. We already have to deal with a lot of red tape, paper work and permits breeding whitetails...not going to do even more work to just keep the animals and make little to nothing off of them.

Re: Three Species permitting Madness [Re: JakeinTX] #2922910 01/12/12 01:49 PM
S
ss401 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: JakeinTX
They (United Fish and Wildlife Service) has not said how permits will work or how many permits will be available. Those at the EWA can probably tell you what some of the other permitted animals are like. All I can tell you is that there are a lot less Oryx today then a month or two ago!

Say Bye to Scimitar, Dama Gazelle, and Addax.

Re: Three Species permitting Madness [Re: JakeinTX] #2923050 01/12/12 02:29 PM
B
Black02z28 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: JakeinTX
They (United Fish and Wildlife Service) has not said how permits will work or how many permits will be available.

This is laughable and just shows you how much these guys thought process is assbackwards. They should have had the permit process worked out and layed out for the ranches that wanted to apply when the final ruling came down.

Re: Three Species permitting Madness [Re: Black02z28] #2924882 01/12/12 11:57 PM
T
Txnrog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I'm in the application process. Will see how it goes. It's a pain, but not unbearable if you want to keep them. You can still buy (in state), sell (in state), and maintain them without the permits, but you can't kill them without the permit. USFWS has been pretty responsive to my emails so far.

Re: Three Species permitting Madness [Re: Txnrog] #2927261 01/13/12 05:34 PM
T
T4PL Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: Txnrog
I'm in the application process. Will see how it goes. It's a pain, but not unbearable if you want to keep them. You can still buy (in state), sell (in state), and maintain them without the permits, but you can't kill them without the permit. USFWS has been pretty responsive to my emails so far.

Thank You Txnrog. Please keep us updated on the process. cheers

Class of 2003
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide