Forums46
Topics538,362
Posts9,736,324
Members87,083
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: Curly] #2921850 01/12/12 01:34 AM
B
BowSlayer Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Curly
I think ARs shouldn't apply during bow season. peep

clap

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: Fish'n a Lund] #2921859 01/12/12 01:39 AM
B
BowSlayer Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Fish'n a Lund
Real classy Bowslayer. It's users like you that dog pile people for posting that causes people to not want to post or leave forums like this all together.

I dog piled someone? If my thread bothers you that much maybe you should leave the forum. This is the second time you stuck your nose in where it didn't belong. You say I took it out of context but can't tell me how. Why is that? I'll tell you, because I didn't take it out of context and you know it. Why am I not allowed to post a thread to see how many really think bowhunting early is unfair? You're in the thread so post it up... do you think it's unfair too? If so, please explain why. That is after all what the thread is about.

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: BowSlayer] #2921864 01/12/12 01:41 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: BowSlayer
How many of you feel that it is "unfair" for bowhunters to be allowed to hunt in October?

Whatever a group of ethical hunters decide to do on their lease that's within the law is OK by me. I've heard of some leases being archery only.

To be determined
Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: BowSlayer] #2921882 01/12/12 01:46 AM
F
Fish'n a Lund Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
I am not going to address your statement being out of context or not. We shall agree to disagree on that point.

As far as bow hunting goes I am absolutely not against how the state has decided to setup the seasons.

However, if someone posts, in the Land and Lease section, a desire to put forth the time and effort to secure and organize a new lease I wouldn't hijack his thread to argue the merits of his opinion on bow hunting season.

Last edited by Fish'n a Lund; 01/12/12 01:47 AM.
Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: millerliteliker] #2921905 01/12/12 01:53 AM
C
Cavscout1968 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Originally Posted By: millerliteliker
As has been said above, there is nothing unfair about having a "bow only" season in October for a full month before the carnage starts that we call "open season".

If you are a rifle hunter in Texas, you should have NO COMPLAINTS! Unlike most other deer hunting states, in Texas you get a full two months of rifle season PLUS you get to hunt over automatic feeders.

For example, in Illinois you would get one week of "gun" season (which is really for slug guns) and you cannot hunt over bait, much less automatic feeders. The rest of the time from October 1 through mid January it is for archery only.

I think the TPWD has done a good job trying to make everyone happy. That can't be easy!

I am an avid bow hunter and just to point how lucky gun hunters have it in Texas, here in Wisconsin we have much different rules. Gun season is 9 days long, with a bonus week for muzzle loaders, then there is a weekend(2 days) antlerless hunt in a few select zones late in December. Bow hunters get from mid September till the end of December, and until this year we were not allowed to hunt during gun or muzzle loader season, so most of us gun and/or muzzle loader hunted. We are allowed to only bait in parts of the state and thats only 2 1/2 gallons of bait per hunter not to exceed 40 acres( so if you have 3 guys on 60 acres they have to split 2 1/2 gallons of bait). We are not allowed to use feeders or feed year round. We cannot leave out licks or anything that will change the natural movement of the deer.

The reason, bow hunters need the time, is quite simple, to get a deer with a bow you need them to be in a natural movement, not screaming across field after field dodging lead. You need an animal to walk close to you, not run past you. And lets be honest, a bow hunter is not going to change a herds pattern, compared to 4 or 5 times as many guys slinging lead at them. A prime example is I was seeing 10-20 deer a set during bow season(I was holding out for a wall mounter since it would most likely be my last Wisconsin deer)and as soon as gun season started I didn't see a deer not screaming across a field again.

I'd also like to add that when visiting the inlaws this holiday season, I sat the morning 26 Dec and the evening of 1 Jan, with an automatic timer going off at the end 1 of 1 shooting lane, 200lb of corn down another shooting lane and 150lb down another and didn't see anything. Not deer or hog, so unlimited baiting is not what I thought it would be.

Last edited by Cavscout1968; 01/12/12 02:22 AM.

US Cavalry, retired
Surviving Wisconsin to live in Texas
7 months till no more snow
Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: Fish'n a Lund] #2921910 01/12/12 01:54 AM
B
BowSlayer Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
I am not going to address your statement being out of context or not. We shall agree to disagree on that point.

As far as bow hunting goes I am absolutely not against how the state has decided to setup the seasons.

However, if someone posts, in the Land and Lease section, a desire to put forth the time and effort to secure and organize a new lease I wouldn't hijack his thread to argue the merits of his opinion on bow hunting season.

Thank you for your opinion.

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: Fish'n a Lund] #2921911 01/12/12 01:54 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
popcorn

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: Fish'n a Lund] #2921946 01/12/12 02:02 AM
B
BowSlayer Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B

As far as hijacking his thread, you are correct I should not have done that. That is why I apologized and stopped posting in it and started my own thread. up

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: BowSlayer] #2921951 01/12/12 02:05 AM
F
Fish'n a Lund Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
And I hijacked yours. I am sorry. Let's hug it out!!!

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: BowSlayer] #2921952 01/12/12 02:05 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: BowSlayer

As far as hijacking his thread, you are correct I should not have done that. That is why I apologized and stopped posting in it and started my own thread. up

Seems like tit-for-tat....one hijack for another popcorn

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: BowSlayer] #2921963 01/12/12 02:08 AM
R
redriverpigger Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I think it's unfair to bow hunt in October just for the fact that I'm to cheap to buy another bow!
Anyone willing to give me a new Mathews all rigged up?
I'll switch sides! I promise!!!! argue

I carry a gun because a cop is to heavy!
Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: Fish'n a Lund] #2921966 01/12/12 02:10 AM
B
BowSlayer Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
And I hijacked yours. I am sorry. Let's hug it out!!!

bolt

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: BowSlayer] #2921974 01/12/12 02:12 AM
B
Bonner Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
This may get longer than the old reliable AR debates or once a spike always a spike smile

I never was really interested in compound bows (due to a number of reasons) so I put off bowhunting but sure was envious of all the guys that got an extra month. But when they legalized crossbows for everyone, I was first in line and havent looked back. I even bought a muzzie to extend my season in January. All I can say is 3.5 months worth of hunting. I absolutely love it. Heck, if they made September a slingshot only season I would be first in line as well/ I just roll with what I am comfortable with.

Soemone asked me the other day why there is a separate bow and rifle and muzzle loader season - all I can say is I guess a really strong lobby by the archery business. I assume aside from that it has to do with lower numbers of bowhunters than rifle so herd is not affected as much.

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: millerliteliker] #2921980 01/12/12 02:14 AM
B
Bonner Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted By: millerliteliker
As has been said above, there is nothing unfair about having a "bow only" season in October for a full month before the carnage starts that we call "open season".

If you are a rifle hunter in Texas, you should have NO COMPLAINTS! Unlike most other deer hunting states, in Texas you get a full two months of rifle season PLUS you get to hunt over automatic feeders.

For example, in Illinois you would get one week of "gun" season (which is really for slug guns) and you cannot hunt over bait, much less automatic feeders. The rest of the time from October 1 through mid January it is for archery only.

I think the TPWD has done a good job trying to make everyone happy. That can't be easy!

Agreed - it could be much worse. We have it ALOT better than a lot of other states.

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: redriverpigger] #2922025 01/12/12 02:31 AM
B
BLUERIBBONS Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Well just great I had to go eat dinner before my wife threw it out and I get back and everyone is hugging! But seriously I am glad this didn't turn out to be a holy war just because I exoressed my opinion and someone took offense to it.

It does make for an interesting discussion though!

thanks again bow-swayer grin

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #2922090 01/12/12 02:46 AM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
I could say ARs suck if ya want. peep stir

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #2922108 01/12/12 02:49 AM
M
millerliteliker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Not only do rifle hunters get 60 days of open season, WITH bait, WITH automatic feeders, in Texas we have HOGS all over the state with 12 months of open season on them, we have exotics that we can hunt anytime, we have some of the best wing shooting in the USA, we have antelope AND mule deer, we have year round predator hunting....

Need I go on? Anyone who complains about hunting "rules" (including AR's!) needs to go and see the LIMITED hunting allowed to our brothers in other states.

I am a bow hunter, sometime rifle hunter, and lifetime Texan and I have NO complaints about our hunting laws and rules in this state. I hunt in other states and the guys in those states to a man all think I am the luckiest person in the world to get to live and hunt in Texas - although I must say that those Illinois Whitetails are freaking unbelievable. i will always hunt one week each year in Illinois!

Last edited by millerliteliker; 01/12/12 02:51 AM.

Mathews Z7 Bow for Whitetail and Hogs
Remington R-15 .223 REM for predators
I also like to "hunt" sporting clays with my Benelli SuperSport!
Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: millerliteliker] #2922143 01/12/12 03:00 AM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Well hell I wouldn't beeyatch either about Texas tightening it's hunting rules (like ARs) if I could hunt a week in Illinois. rolleyes

Last edited by Curly; 01/12/12 03:00 AM.
Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: stxranchman] #2922234 01/12/12 03:22 AM
T
toolman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
Originally Posted By: rifleman
I did away with ML season several years ago....and restrict bow usage before the first sat in Nov. Just trying to keep it fair and pressure off the deer.

For the State of Texas or just your lease?

cowboy

Guess you could call them leases

His "leases" are all over the state, on every county road. Barditches. grin

Is that the "Long" lease? laugh In all honesty, if the stick-chunkers get to start in October, then their season should end in Jan. and the lead-slingers get to hunt until Feb.-only fair that we all get to hunt the same amount of time...

Old age ain't for sissies!

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: toolman] #2922266 01/12/12 03:27 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Duramax/Cadillac stand

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: Bonner] #2922289 01/12/12 03:30 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Bonner
This may get longer than the old reliable AR debates or once a spike always a spike smile

I never was really interested in compound bows (due to a number of reasons) so I put off bowhunting but sure was envious of all the guys that got an extra month. But when they legalized crossbows for everyone, I was first in line and havent looked back. I even bought a muzzie to extend my season in January. All I can say is 3.5 months worth of hunting. I absolutely love it. Heck, if they made September a slingshot only season I would be first in line as well/ I just roll with what I am comfortable with.

Soemone asked me the other day why there is a separate bow and rifle and muzzle loader season - all I can say is I guess a really strong lobby by the archery business. I assume aside from that it has to do with lower numbers of bowhunters than rifle so herd is not affected as much.

Ding,ding,ding, we have a winner. Bowhunting is allowed to start a month early because the participation and impact is MUCH lower than with rifle hunting. You bow season haters really kinda irk me-as many have said,if you want to participate then get up off your backsides and learn to bowhunt.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #2922368 01/12/12 03:50 AM
T
toolman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: Bonner

Ding,ding,ding, we have a winner. Bowhunting is allowed to start a month early because the participation and impact is MUCH lower than with rifle hunting. You bow season haters really kinda irk me-as many have said,if you want to participate then get up off your backsides and learn to bowhunt.

So how does a guy hunting for a month with a bow and two months with either a bow or rifle impact the herd any less? Why don't we just have one general season where you can hunt with whatever tool suits you?
In all honesty, it doesn't bother me as much as hunting a one-buck county, but it does irritate me a bit that a simple equipment purchase should gain a hunter an extra moth of hunting time.

Old age ain't for sissies!

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: stxranchman] #2922407 01/12/12 04:03 AM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: KG68
This debate calls for popcorn

Hey stxranchman we are done outta popcorn. How about some corn nuts are something? grin

Last edited by KG68; 01/12/12 04:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: KG68] #2922420 01/12/12 04:05 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
This debate calls for popcorn

Hey stxranchman me are done outta popcorn. How about some corn nuts are something? grin

I did get a special delivery though from one of those other threads about cat sightings.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: KG68] #2922439 01/12/12 04:09 AM
Q
quackaholic1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Q
violin Mama never said life was going to be fair. loser8

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide