Forums46
Topics538,462
Posts9,737,352
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Looking to get a group together for a lease in central Texas #2918331 01/11/12 12:08 AM
B
BLUERIBBONS Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
First let me explain. I live in NW San Saba county and we bought a house on a small tract thats too small to call hunting. Its been 7 years since I was on a lease. I stopped leasing because I leased a house\ranch that had plenty of hunting right out the backdoor!

Since I live in this area most of my friends\coworkers have family land to hunt,or already have a lease or they don't want to pony up the price it cost these days to get on a lease. My thoughts were to submit this and see what kind of feedback and response I might get. I have a lot of confindence that I will be able to find a decent lease in this area. I would rather get a group together first before looking for a lease for multiple reasons. I would rather do it this way than to find a lease and then fill it with members.

I do not want to be the lease boss\ramrod whatever name people attach to it. I want this to be a joint effort so we all could enjoy the outdoors and hunting!

I am looking for self minded hunters with the following attributes so we could form a good lease we could all enjoy.

ethical and honest I would like everyones trust and I would like to trust everyone I hunt I with!

management minded Not attempting to grow boone\crocket bucks but common sense stuff like not shooting a promising 2 year old buck!

no alcohol Zero tolerance, I don't drink and don't mind being around people that drink but I think it belongs in a bar and not on the deer lease.

No bow season\if you bow hunt it would have to be during the regular season. (I don't think its fair to nonbow hunters)

Immediate family only Family must hunt off your limits\tags and with lease member only. I would be ok with just lease members only(I am a empty nester and kids have moved along) but I understand if a father wants to bring a son\daughter along occassionally.

I am thinking about a 4-5 person lease would be about the right size. Actually a odd number would be good so during voting there will be no ties. I will be concentrating my lease search to San Saba, Brown, McCulloch counties. I may extend further to Mills and Coleman if needed.

If you feel that you have the same attributes and want to follow something close to these type of guidelines then send me a message. I will try to respond to folks in a timely fashion.

Last edited by BLUERIBBONS; 01/11/12 12:12 AM.
Re: Looking to get a group together for a lease in central Texas [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #2918394 01/11/12 12:30 AM
B
BLUERIBBONS Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
I am getting old and forgetful!

Preferably the lease cost will range from $1,000 to $2,000 a member. I have trouble justifying paying more than $2k myself.
Also, I would like for us to have a get together for a BS\getting to know each other fairly soon after the group is formed. I would gladly host the meeting or depending on travel time for everyone we could choose a meeting area.

thanks

Re: Looking to get a group together for a lease in central Texas [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #2918598 01/11/12 01:30 AM
A
aggie02 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
Blueribbons I sent you a PM

Last edited by aggie02; 01/11/12 01:31 AM.
Re: Looking to get a group together for a lease in central Texas [Re: aggie02] #2918935 01/11/12 02:49 AM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
You had my attention until you said bowhunting in October was "not fair" to non bow hunters. That makes no sense to me. The only way it would be unfair is if everyone was not allowed to do the same thing. Anybody that wants to bowhunt in October can do it...how is that in any way unfair to the ones that CHOOSE not to? Anyway, good luck in your search.

Re: Looking to get a group together for a lease in central Texas [Re: BowSlayer] #2919032 01/11/12 03:09 AM
B
BLUERIBBONS Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Bowslayer, in my opinion it is unfair because bowhunting starts a full month or so before rifle season. So in my opinion that gives a bowhunter an advantage. I do not bowhunt or will probably ever try it. I understand that bowhunting is more difficult than rifle hunting. I guess a good way to paint the way I feel about is is with a hypothetical story. Lets say
for example 5 single guys were going to go into a singles bar where they knew there was a limited amount of great looking girls. Two guys get to go in the bar 2 full hours before the other three guys do. They all pay the same cover charge to get into the bar. Which group would you want to be in the first group that goes in or the last group that goes in 2 hours later?

I may become more flexible on this if others don't feel the same way.

thanks for your insight and opinion!

Re: Looking to get a group together for a lease in central Texas [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #2919084 01/11/12 03:20 AM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: BLUERIBBONS
Bowslayer, in my opinion it is unfair because bowhunting starts a full month or so before rifle season. So in my opinion that gives a bowhunter an advantage. I do not bowhunt or will probably ever try it. I understand that bowhunting is more difficult than rifle hunting. I guess a good way to paint the way I feel about is is with a hypothetical story. Lets say
for example 5 single guys were going to go into a singles bar where they knew there was a limited amount of great looking girls. Two guys get to go in the bar 2 full hours before the other three guys do. They all pay the same cover charge to get into the bar. Which group would you want to be in the first group that goes in or the last group that goes in 2 hours later?

I may become more flexible on this if others don't feel the same way.

thanks for your insight and opinion!

Your story would match up perfectly if all the guys were allowed to go into the bar at the same time but 3 of them CHOOSE to wait outside for 2 hours and then say it's unfair that all the good looking girls are taken.

My point was how can it be unfair? If you choose to hunt October, you can. If you were not allowed to but I was then it would be unfair. With the new laws allowing crossbows to be used in archery season anybody that wants to bowhunt can do so.

Re: Looking to get a group together for a lease in central Texas [Re: BowSlayer] #2919170 01/11/12 03:43 AM
B
BLUERIBBONS Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
I see your point bowslayer. I have never shot a bow and if I probably tried it I might love it. But I am not speaking specifically about myself. If I get a group of 5 people together what if only one bowhunts and the other 4 hunters have no interest in bowhunting now or ever? I am just trying to keep any or all issues to a minimum! Don't get me wrong, if we hunted together and you killed a booner I would be just happy for you as I would if it was me.

Re: Looking to get a group together for a lease in central Texas [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #2919216 01/11/12 03:54 AM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I get what you are saying. On my current lease we have 11 members. Myself and one more guy are the only ones that bowhunt in October but none of the other members have a problem with it because they could do the same thing if they wanted to. Most people that are willing to pay $2000 for a lease would at least like the opportunity to take advantage of all legal seasons if they choose to do so. If you don't want to allow bowhunting that's up to you but there is nothing unfair about bowhunters in October. I hope you find a good group of guys to share a lease with. Good luck!

Re: Looking to get a group together for a lease in central Texas [Re: BowSlayer] #2919272 01/11/12 04:14 AM
B
BLUERIBBONS Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
I'm confused bowslayer? If your currently on a lease then are you looking for another one or a upgrade? What county is your current lease?

Like I mentioned I make have to alter the bowhunting scenario.

thanks

Re: Looking to get a group together for a lease in central Texas [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #2919291 01/11/12 04:21 AM
F
fire_medic0911 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Im also interested if the bow hunting "deal" changes. I am by no means going to bash your rules. Your post and you are doing the leg work. I primarily bow hunt and am looking for a new place. If this rule changes and you are one short, please shoot me a PM

Thanks!

Re: Looking to get a group together for a lease in central Texas [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #2919368 01/11/12 04:57 AM
T
titans12 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
pm sent

Re: Looking to get a group together for a lease in central Texas [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #2919865 01/11/12 02:43 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I'm confused bowslayer? If your currently on a lease then are you looking for another one or a upgrade? What county is your current lease?

Like I mentioned I make have to alter the bowhunting scenario.

thanks

I am currently on 4 leases. 3 in East Texas and one in Sutton County between Sonora and Ozona. The landowner at Sonora told us last week that the property is going up for sale. I would rather try to find something else now rather than wait until it sells and be rushed to get my stuff.

Re: Looking to get a group together for a lease in central Texas [Re: BowSlayer] #2919988 01/11/12 03:24 PM
R
Russ79 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
R
If you aren't going to bowhunt then you are denying yourself more opportunities to hunt. I love to hunt and have always been a gun hunter. About 20 years ago I made the decision to start bowhunting. Why? Partly because I started working with a bunch of guys that bow hunted but mainly it gave me another month of hunting. That's the reason I haven't climbed on the crossbow bandwagon- it doesn't extend my hunting season. Have I put my gun completely down? Absolutely not. This isn't the first time that I have seen someone come on to a hunting website and try to get together a group of like minded individuals and then find a lease. You say you don't want to be the lease manager and yet you are already putting rules out there. If you don't want bowhunting on this lease, then why didn't you just say that this will be for gun hunters only. That way bowhunters won't jump in here and try to railroad what you are trying to do.

Re: Looking to get a group together for a lease in central Texas [Re: Russ79] #2920084 01/11/12 04:06 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: Russ79
That's the reason I haven't climbed on the crossbow bandwagon- it doesn't extend my hunting season.

It is legal to hunt with a crossbow during archery only season except for in Grayson county.

Re: Looking to get a group together for a lease in central Texas [Re: Rustler] #2920130 01/11/12 04:24 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
For the record, I was not trying to railroad your attempt at finding a group for a lease. It was just the "unfair" comment that I was commenting on. It's hard to convey a tone on the internet but I do sincerely hope you find a group that meets your rules.

Re: Looking to get a group together for a lease in central Texas [Re: BowSlayer] #2920141 01/11/12 04:28 PM
F
Fish'n a Lund Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
PM sent

Re: Looking to get a group together for a lease in central Texas [Re: Fish'n a Lund] #2920436 01/11/12 06:07 PM
G
ggunn1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
I agree..it is an unfair advantage..unless gun hunters pay less and bow hunters pay more..kind of like pro rated..why should gunhunters be penelized..alap its his rules if somebody doesnt like the rules..move on

Re: Looking to get a group together for a lease in central Texas [Re: ggunn1] #2920463 01/11/12 06:17 PM
N
nado2036 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
You can always use muzzeloaders.

Re: Looking to get a group together for a lease in central Texas [Re: ggunn1] #2920500 01/11/12 06:33 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: ggunn1
I agree..it is an unfair advantage..unless gun hunters pay less and bow hunters pay more..kind of like pro rated..why should gunhunters be penelized..alap its his rules if somebody doesnt like the rules..move on

How the heck are gun hunters penalized by bow hunters hunting in October? That's like saying someone that never works is being penalized because some people work harder and have more money. If it's such an unfair advantage to hunt October PICK UP A BOW and do it yourself. And another thing.... he is wanting a group of about 5 and is thinking there might not be enough deer for everybody to get one? That does not sound like a lease I want on anyway. The truth of the matter is if the guys that bowhunt shoot their deer in October it's that much more room for the gun hunters come November.

Re: Looking to get a group together for a lease in central Texas [Re: BowSlayer] #2921110 01/11/12 10:14 PM
F
Fish'n a Lund Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
Let it go BowSlayer. You have made your point loud and clear. This lease is obviously not the right fit for you.

Re: Looking to get a group together for a lease in central Texas [Re: BowSlayer] #2921154 01/11/12 10:24 PM
B
BLUERIBBONS Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Arrow chunker grin
Where did I say anywhere that I was afraid there wouldn't be enough deer for everyone? If you are not interested then kindly move along! Heck you had 4 leases and you are losing one of them so now your lease poor since you are only down to 3 leases? Well thats 3 more than a bunch of us have!

Re: Looking to get a group together for a lease in central Texas [Re: Russ79] #2921203 01/11/12 10:39 PM
B
BLUERIBBONS Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Thanks for the encouragement Russ and I am glad you enjoy your new sport. You sir are correct, I do not want to be the manager, if you would reread my original post you will see that I specifically pointed this out. I believe a democracy for a group would be a much better situation. I did not post rules, I posted what type of lease I would ultimately like to be on. How was I supposed to find like minded members if I didn't express what type of lease I wanted to be on? sleep

Re: Looking to get a group together for a lease in central Texas [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #2921228 01/11/12 10:47 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Arrow chunker grin
Where did I say anywhere that I was afraid there wouldn't be enough deer for everyone? If you are not interested then kindly move along! Heck you had 4 leases and you are losing one of them so now your lease poor since you are only down to 3 leases? Well thats 3 more than a bunch of us have!

Arrow Chunker? up

You were equating bow hunting in October to 5 guys going into a bar and there only being enough girls for 3 of them so how else should that be taken?

My apologies for stating my opinion. No matter how it may have come across I was originally only trying to help your cause. You eliminate bowhunters and you have eliminated a big group of guys that don't mind spending money for a good lease. I have a group of at least 5 great guys that would gladly go in on a lease with you but not allowing bowhunting ruled us all out. I apologize for trying to shed a little light on it for the narrow-minded "it's not fair" people. I will go on my way now and look at the bright side, at least I kept your thread at the top for you for a couple of days. grin Once again, good luck in your search.

Re: Looking to get a group together for a lease in central Texas [Re: BowSlayer] #2921346 01/11/12 11:11 PM
B
BLUERIBBONS Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Here is exactly what I posted"Lets say
for example 5 single guys were going to go into a singles bar where they knew there was a limited amount of great looking girls." The keyword I used was great looking not that there were only enough girls for three guys!

Also I believe if you look at my 1st or 2nd response to you I thanked you for your opinions and input! Again I will thank you for your efforts that is one of the things that makes this country great, everyone can form and express their own opinions!

Good luck to you also!

Re: Looking to get a group together for a lease in central Texas [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #2922975 01/12/12 02:07 PM
C
Circleb41 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
PM Sent

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide