Print Thread
New to Bow hunting and looking for advice/opinions #2917546 01/10/12 07:35 PM
R
radtexas Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
I am sure I may get a variety of responses but I am thinking next deer season to hunt with bow. One of my stands is 40 or so yard to feeder and another stand is over 100 yards to feeder. Both are set up as rifle stands and that is why I am considering using a cross bow instead of standard pull bow. I have no knowledge of bows and want to consider a good bow but don't want one that I may wish I spent a little more for in a year or so. Please advise so possible choices or ones to stay away from. Any pros/cons is also appreciated. Basically anything a novice might want to consider when selecting a cross bow.

Re: New to Bow hunting and looking for advice/opinions [Re: radtexas] #2917609 01/10/12 07:55 PM
S
Shortysboy09 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Get a bow that "fits" you. Make sure what you shoot is what feels the best to you. That's the best advice I've got.

Re: New to Bow hunting and looking for advice/opinions [Re: Shortysboy09] #2917632 01/10/12 08:01 PM
R
RLoving1 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
Too many choices out there to make simple answere! Go to shop and try as many as possible but nothing is going to feel too good till you shoot one bow countless times to know it's good and bad points and become acustom to it.What works for one person maynot be what you need and new bows shoot in with time and comfort level increases with use!

Brayden (Lazy L's Southern Comfort) you will be missed! You were more than a pet you were my reason to rise and return for many days! You were my rock!
12/26/03-10/25/13
Re: New to Bow hunting and looking for advice/opinions [Re: Shortysboy09] #2917647 01/10/12 08:05 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Personal preference goes a long ways. Like Shorty said, find one that "fits" you and feels right. Try different brands. Most the name brand name bows are good quality and will be more than sufficient.

If you are planning on bow hunting, I would plan on building a bow blind and use a different set up than your rifle blinds. You don't have to be able to shoot under the feeder, just use a chum pile to bring them in closer. With a bow, it is important to know your range and remember that shooting a bulls eye is completely different than shooting an animal.

Not sure if you are just looking for advice on a bow or advice on the complete set up and strategies that will help you when the time gets closer, so I will stop with one last piece of advice...Practice, practice, practice

Good luck up

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: New to Bow hunting and looking for advice/opinions [Re: txshntr] #2917693 01/10/12 08:18 PM
R
radtexas Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Is there a way to actually try out a bow before purchasing? Do some stores let you shot? Again I have never dealt with bow so I may sound completely stupid in my responses. And at this time just looking at bow choice. And one reason I am looking early is so I can practice up before next season.

Re: New to Bow hunting and looking for advice/opinions [Re: radtexas] #2917697 01/10/12 08:20 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: radtexas
Is there a way to actually try out a bow before purchasing? Do some stores let you shot? Again I have never dealt with bow so I may sound completely stupid in my responses. And at this time just looking at bow choice. And one reason I am looking early is so I can practice up before next season.

Most good bow stores will let you shoot some of the bows to see if you like the way they feel. Some of them around here will also give you a quick lesson on shooting. Most the guys that work there are avid bow hunters and know what they are doing.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: New to Bow hunting and looking for advice/opinions [Re: radtexas] #2917729 01/10/12 08:28 PM
S
Shortysboy09 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: radtexas

No such thing as sounding stupid. Always better to ask then not know I think.

Do you have a price range your'e wanting to stay within? That may help narrow down brands to look at.

Re: New to Bow hunting and looking for advice/opinions [Re: Shortysboy09] #2917740 01/10/12 08:32 PM
R
radtexas Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Just off the top of my head I would say 400-500 more if needed. Just starting to look so not even sure what range good bows start.

Re: New to Bow hunting and looking for advice/opinions [Re: radtexas] #2917757 01/10/12 08:40 PM
S
Shortysboy09 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Okay, good starting point. Check out PSE, Bear, Diamond, Martin, Bowtech. Just a few to sink your teeth!

I know this is information overload, but if you like to read here's a good article that will tell you all the ins and outs of a compound bow, if you don't like reading then dis-regard the link.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm

Re: New to Bow hunting and looking for advice/opinions [Re: Shortysboy09] #2918433 01/11/12 12:45 AM
R
radtexas Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted By: Shortysboy09
Okay, good starting point. Check out PSE, Bear, Diamond, Martin, Bowtech. Just a few to sink your teeth!

I know this is information overload, but if you like to read here's a good article that will tell you all the ins and outs of a compound bow, if you don't like reading then dis-regard the link.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm

These are compound bows. I am looking at crossbows. I have found some interesting reading and educated myself somewhat. But one thing I read is a possible disadvantage to a crossbow is you have to fire it at something when finished hunting since you can't uncock like undrawing a compound. Is this correct on all brands or just the lower end models?

Found this one that looks nice but more than I wanted to spend. http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=428459&pdesc=Parker_Tornado_HP_165_Crossbow_w/Multi_Reticle_Scope

Re: New to Bow hunting and looking for advice/opinions [Re: radtexas] #2918650 01/11/12 01:42 AM
R
Russ79 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
R
First off, don't take the stance that "I am going to get a crossbow so I can gun hunt during bow season". A crossbow may be easier to master than a compound bow and the learning curve shorter, but it is still a bow. You will still have to keep your shots relatively close and wait for a good shot angle- you don't have the ft/lbs of energy like a gun to compensate for bad shot placement. Just like with any weapon practice as much as you can. I personally love the challenges of bow hunting.

Re: New to Bow hunting and looking for advice/opinions [Re: Russ79] #2925391 01/13/12 02:16 AM
B
Billbreaker Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Nicely worded Russ! Not saying this applies to Rad, but there are a lot of ppl out there that think they can go out and buy a crossbow and knock deer down at 100 plus yards no problem. That being said, bowhunting is an awesome sport and whatever method a person is comfortable with is best. Just don't make up your mind until you've tried it all. It may take longer learning to shoot a compound accurately, but the payoff is much bigger IMO.

I don't carry change, but I love breaking bills!
Re: New to Bow hunting and looking for advice/opinions [Re: Billbreaker] #2926310 01/13/12 12:33 PM
R
radtexas Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Definitely not planning on take same range as I would with a gun. Hence in the earlier "One of my stands is 40 or so yard to feeder and another stand is over 100 yards to feeder. Both are set up as rifle stands and that is why I am considering using a cross bow instead of standard pull bow." But after reading this again it might sound like I would hunt from the 100 yd stand and that is not what I meant. I meant the shorter range would be the primary bow stand. But if I enjoyed the bow more than a rifle I would have to either move the blind or rig up a shorter range tree stand. Sorry if it came across wrong.

Still have not been able to get to any shop and just reading online reviews and seems several good things are said about the Parker Tornado HP 165 draw weight & 330 fps with 100 lb kinetic energy. But of course all depends on how it feels. Guy here at work just now brought in his Barnett Quad 400. First time feeling one in my hands. Definitely different feel. Makes me eager to go try several out.

Re: New to Bow hunting and looking for advice/opinions [Re: radtexas] #2926436 01/13/12 01:45 PM
S
SPITFIRE125 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I wouldn't take a 40 yrd shot at a deer with a crossbow, I know people do it but IMO it ain't smart. They are extremely loud and with any wing at all you will have to adjust your aim. My wife hunts with a Horton pro175 and I think it is top of the line, it's fast and not as loud as the others but she still had deer duck the string at 25 yrds. As stated above it is still a bow and you are limited on distance and shot angles. Good luck in making your decision but either way you may want to look into putting up some ground blinds at 20-25 yrds from your feeders.

Re: New to Bow hunting and looking for advice/opinions [Re: SPITFIRE125] #2926474 01/13/12 02:00 PM
R
radtexas Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted By: SPITFIRE125
I wouldn't take a 40 yrd shot at a deer with a crossbow, I know people do it but IMO it ain't smart. They are extremely loud and with any wing at all you will have to adjust your aim. My wife hunts with a Horton pro175 and I think it is top of the line, it's fast and not as loud as the others but she still had deer duck the string at 25 yrds. As stated above it is still a bow and you are limited on distance and shot angles. Good luck in making your decision but either way you may want to look into putting up some ground blinds at 20-25 yrds from your feeders.

Understood. I need to flip my blind and feeder for next season. This was our first year at this lease and since the ground was so hard I didn't realize that the best place for the feeder and blind would have been opposite how I put them. Flipping puts the feeder much closer to the deer's travel path and widened my shooting window. I can just bring in the feeder a little more for a 20-30 yard range. Glad I am hearing this now. :P Appreciate the info. I am already thinking if I like shooting this more than a gun I might move the other blind much closer as well.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide