Forums46
Topics538,448
Posts9,737,230
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: TRIJI....WHAT] #2913533 01/09/12 07:48 PM
J
JWP58 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
J
I vote yes.

Using a suppressor to hunt with is only going to "moderate" the sound of the shot. Unless subsonic rounds are used.

I see nothing wrong with using sound suppressors in hunting applications.

I would vote to legalize the use of Air Guns as well.

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Bwana83] #2913537 01/09/12 07:48 PM
B
Bwana83 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
And for the record EVERYONE....
My posts were to conjure a more thought out process why TO legalize "silencers" because honestly I wanted a good reason to be for them because I think we shoud have more rights, not less. At the very least looks like a few good arguments for them popped up in response. And since my reasoning is "ridiculous" like everyone has so eloquently said, looks like I didnt give anyone against it any ammo either.

A mature buck might be a deer, but you can bet it's a totally different animal
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Misfire] #2913539 01/09/12 07:50 PM
B
Bwana83 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted By: Misfire
Originally Posted By: Bwana83
It's sad to me to see how naive the general public can be. If ANYONE wants to sit here and try to honestly say that the have never done something illegal then they are lying to themselves as well as everyone else. People abide by laws because they fear the consequences in probably most cases. If robbing a bank were easy and you wouldn't get in much trouble for doing it, guess what...A LOT MORE PEOPLE WOULD DO IT!! Laws absolutely stop even "criminals" from doing wrong if they are too difficult or not worth committing and many "law abiding" people break laws because of OPPURTUNITY! Guess what people...SPEEDING is a crime! But people do
It because it's easy and they are willing to pay the consequences on th off chance they get caught. So let's "quit the laws only stop law abiding citizens and criminals are going to be criminals" farce. I think suppresors should be legal for game hunting but let's stop the bs and use legit reasoning

I kinda see what you are shooting for here but this entire post is very presumptuous and you are reaching a bit too far, in my opinion, to make a point. You seem to think law abiding citizens are criminals just waiting for an opportunity to break the law. I think most of us here would disagree with you and prove you wrong. (perhaps a bit of presumption on my part as well?..)

BTW.. Are you the same Bwana from the Fuge?

No sir/ma'am, just another "great white hunter", lol

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Bwana83] #2913563 01/09/12 07:57 PM
M
Misfire Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M

lol..

I'm a sir, although about 8 years ago my wife found a thread I started on a hunting forum asking for anniversary ideas. (The forum sent automatic alerts to responses to our joint e-mail account. She clicked on one of the links and it took her straight to the thread.) She registered on the forum as MrsFire and started posting suggestions. I'm so dense that I never caught on. It went on for a week and some of her female co-workers signed up as well and before it was all over with I had A LOT of suggestions for our anniversary and they had a good laugh at my expense.

"I wanna go fast" -Ricky Bobby

"Mind bottling isn't it?" -Chazz Michael Michaels

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: PHishTX] #2913604 01/09/12 08:09 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: PHishTX
Originally Posted By: Tye
Legit reasons
Also pretty weak reasons. Not really useful material when trying to get a gun law passed. IMO

Not that I'd lobby for it but I'm not necessarily "against" it either.

1. It can make it easier for people to protect their hearing while spotting and stalking game. Very little spot and stalk goes on in TX. Can we ban feeders once these are approved? What have S&S been doing the last 100years?Maybe you should try it. Might find one over 13"
2. I can carry one less gun to the blind. ?Really?Yep
3. It won't disrupt the neighbors as muchThe neighbors again? How thoughtful....almost as thoughtful as the HF for them....almostYep, Bet they liked the 1000 rounds we used during New Years weekend shooting targets. But they have ruined my hunting as well.They liked the fence, even paid for half of the water gaps(about $5000 worth)Saved him from replacing the barbed wire fence to keep his cows in.
4. It would make it more comfortable for a child to set up on a Rifle without the bulky eat muffs getting in the way. But it is good to teach kids to use hearing protection, wish I had worn it when I was younger.....huh? Earplugs aren't bulky What about the kids that want to shoot and don't have suppressors? Why do THEY have to be the ones that wear the BULKY EAR PHONES ?? (pout)Maybe Obama will buy you a suppressor if it goes through for the kids. He's trying to pay for everything else in this world when people cant afford it.
5. You could remove varmits while deer hunting and continue sitting without running all the deer "out of the county". Doesn't your HF keep deer in the "county"Ever think I hunt outside the fence hammer
6. Since it's already legal to own one for varmit hunting, GWs wouldnt have to worry if a "game animal" was harvested with it during inspection. GW don't really worry about enforcing laws. it's their job. Just like it isn't worrying if a deer was shot with a .22 (rimfire). I don't think they were too happy when it came down to measuring 13" racks and giving kids tickets for 12 3/4" either...Worring about it isn't in the equation!!Maybe, Im not a GW. Are you?

These are just some pro's to making them legal for all hunting aspects. I currently don't have one yet. I had to go through a background check through my local sheriffs office and then had to send off the paperwork to the BATF and I guess they will also go through the same check. Do you really think a "true full time poacher" will have a perfectly clean record? Do you think this type of person is going to go through all the steps to get one?

As far as the comment about "wanting to know what your neighbors are doing..." how can you tell if they are only archery hunting? How do you know they aren't target shooting? My place is only 670 acres, and there are times that I don't hear my dad or brother shooting and they are using magnum rifles...

Now, what are some of the Cons to hunting with a supressor?

1. People might think they can get away with something with a quiter rifle. Well, they are already getting away with it with a loud rifle, what difference does it make?
2. If you want one, you are going to have spend about $800-1000
3. If you need to signal someone that you are injured, you'll have to unscrew the suppressor. (old school 3 shots...)
5. ........
6. ......

Can someone fill in the blanks?

By the way, how many people are up in the middle of the night when most poaching probably takes place? Even if you are up in deer camp and you hear a shot, can you pin point exactly where it happened? Depending on the wind, it could be as close as your neighbor, or even a half mile away.

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Bwana83] #2913605 01/09/12 08:10 PM
R
RocksAndKittens Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R

All people have some level of morals or ethics but everyone is a criminal by definition as you stated because we all break laws or commit some form of crime.

Yes, I think I simplified too much in my initial post in descriptions for speed's sake.

I dont think think poorly of fellow hunters but I am a realist. I'm going to just plead the 5th and only say that a LOT more poaching goes on than what the majority of people either realize or will admit.

This is my second year hunting and don't have first hand experience with poaching. I know if I'm around long enough I probably will. I have seen deer carcasses missing hindquarters off of the side of the roads in Nac county though. Usually going too fast to actually check if it was deliberate poaching or scavenging of a hit deer. And no idea how to call that in "yeah I saw a dead deer somewhere between Nacadoches and Henderson..." doesn't seem very helpful?

I am all for freedoms but I also hate that people take advantage of those freedoms and whether we can agree on it publically or not, I think we all know that many people (not all or even most neccesarily) will take advantage of any freedom they are given.

I agree with you here, it is very frustrating.

The risk/reward is my point...And everyone abides some laws but will break some too so by definition they are what exactly?

And again the risk/reward is my point, just have to be careful when doing things to lower the risk even though in this case I think the reasoning for it is sound enough to do so.

Looks like we are in agreement here too.

On a lighter note it cracks me up youre a femaile because I always thought your handle was just some guy being a little sadistic but it's so much funnier to know that it's a "she". Very nice!

When I made it I thought it was obvious but my first post everyone assumed I was "he". I should probably put my Earth Science Degree in my profile too, lol. Or maybe just use my old sig I based this on "Rocks are cool, and also kittens."

If it looks good, eat it.

Rocks are cool, also kittens.
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Bwana83] #2913613 01/09/12 08:12 PM
R
RocksAndKittens Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
And for the record EVERYONE....
My posts were to conjure a more thought out process why TO legalize "silencers" because honestly I wanted a good reason to be for them because I think we shoud have more rights, not less. At the very least looks like a few good arguments for them popped up in response. And since my reasoning is "ridiculous" like everyone has so eloquently said, looks like I didnt give anyone against it any ammo either.

It's been pretty interesting so far. Looks like the goal was successful smile

If it looks good, eat it.

Rocks are cool, also kittens.
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: RocksAndKittens] #2913632 01/09/12 08:17 PM
B
Bwana83 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Haha yes. As soon as you said "she" it hit me n the face that it had nothing to do with my original thought. So funny how we misconceive things sometimes

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Misfire] #2913638 01/09/12 08:19 PM
B
Bwana83 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted By: Misfire

lol..

I'm a sir, although about 8 years ago my wife found a thread I started on a hunting forum asking for anniversary ideas. (The forum sent automatic alerts to responses to our joint e-mail account. She clicked on one of the links and it took her straight to the thread.) She registered on the forum as MrsFire and started posting suggestions. I'm so dense that I never caught on. It went on for a week and some of her female co-workers signed up as well and before it was all over with I had A LOT of suggestions for our anniversary and they had a good laugh at my expense.

Bahaha now that's funny!!

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: S A] #2913650 01/09/12 08:22 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Oh I have NOTHING againt them, owning them, using them NOTHING against them, I've even been thinking about buying one myself. I guess what got me is that you have (now)10 posts so it looks you basically came in here looking for our support for your aganda.

Don't feel bad, I don't offer much support for the women hunter babes that just pop in here asking for us to vote for them, either.

I'm sure if you had been here a while "educating" us on what's so great about suppressors, you'd get a lot more support for your cause, and even sell a few supressors.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #2913894 01/09/12 09:19 PM
J
jmc82 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: RICK O'SHAY
Oh I have NOTHING againt them, owning them, using them NOTHING against them, I've even been thinking about buying one myself. I guess what got me is that you have (now)10 posts so it looks you basically came in here looking for our support for your aganda.

Don't feel bad, I don't offer much support for the women hunter babes that just pop in here asking for us to vote for them, either.

I'm sure if you had been here a while "educating" us on what's so great about suppressors, you'd get a lot more support for your cause, and even sell a few supressors.

True.

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #2914251 01/09/12 10:29 PM
S
S A Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
Originally Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

I came here before this was up. Yes, I have 10 posts here. I am active on a lot of forums and was pointed here as a good Texas forum by some members who are friends. I want more rights. I did not come here to push anything on anyone, and since I am a new-b here, it looks that way. I posted this here because it affects Texan hunters. My thought was that gun owners would be happy with having less regulation, and for the most part, I am right. I did not know there was a minimum number of posts that was required before posting a new thread. For that, I apologize and will be more cautious in the future. My apologies. I did not think it would stir up such a controversy; I guess I was wrong. A lot of Texans, including myself, have worked on this issue, so it isn't just my agenda either. Other than that, the forum is great and the folks seem to be super friendly Texans, just as one would expect.

Scott

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: jmc82] #2914254 01/09/12 10:29 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I 100% for the use of suppressors for hunting, If you are allowed to own it you should be allowed to use it.

And YES I bought mine specifically for the protection of hearing, not just mine but for the kids as well.

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: SingleShot85] #2914376 01/09/12 10:58 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: SingleShot85

And YES I bought mine specifically for the protection of hearing, not just mine but for the kids as well.

Exactly, thats why its called a suppressor aka silencer. Does there need to be any other reason not to have one?

I just wish they made one for shotguns. I lost most of my hearing in my left ear from dove hunting when I was younger. Back then, they didn't have hearing protection that operated only when you shot the gun.

I would still like to hear reasons not to make them legal for hunting "game" animals other than the bogus poacher excuse.

If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: S A] #2914380 01/09/12 11:00 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Hey no apology needed, I just took it one way and you just meant it another way.
Some people on here are sweet to everyone that comes along and a few of us aren't, but hey, I'm nobody so just let it roll off.
Maybe when you get time you can educate us on cans... I thought the only real reason to own one was to be cooler than your buddies. I can't see how they're gonna increase accuracy and muzzle velocity, I mean they aren't rifled are they?

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #2914454 01/09/12 11:13 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
SA, do you have a website and price sheet?

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Tye] #2914643 01/09/12 11:56 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Tye, they do make them for shotguns.......

http://youtu.be/WpTj95V8-c4

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: txshntr] #2914675 01/10/12 12:04 AM
B
blancobuster Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: txshntr
I personally don't think that I would ever use one, but have no issue with someone that wants too. Haven't really seen a good reason posted yet that would convinve me otherwise either.

I guess that is really how I feel too, I don't really give a damn what people do in their own stand or on their own land, as long as it is not affecting me. I just pray that people are not trying to get suppressors to rapidly fire at deer rather than make one clean shot. The thing is that suppressors are difficult to get so only people that shoot quite a bit get them which is good. I just won't use or need one.

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: SingleShot85] #2914686 01/10/12 12:08 AM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: SingleShot85
Tye, they do make them for shotguns.......

http://youtu.be/WpTj95V8-c4

That is sweet, but dang its long. You could just hit them out of the air with the end of the can. grin

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Bwana83] #2914726 01/10/12 12:21 AM
W
West Fork Armory Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
Hearing protection can be worn, why would we make it legal and allow something that makes a poacher more incognito? That's why immoral people don't poach, the fear of getting caught. Suppressors make it much more difficult to locate where a shot came from and also cuts down the distance the shot can be heard from obviously. It's why poachers use coke bottles and such, because supressors are currently illegal. I'm not saying I'm for or against it (it's the first time I have ever thought about it actually) but let's not lie to others or ourselves about suppressors being a poachers best friend
This could be the most un-informed answer I have seen on here. How about you check out the facts on how many poachers have been caught with a suppressor. Also coke bottle don't work, that's an old wives tales. Suppressors are actually legal already just not on game animals.

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: blancobuster] #2914779 01/10/12 12:38 AM
W
West Fork Armory Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: blancobuster
I don't think I would support it. I just don't see the need for it on deer and I like to know what is going on around me in the woods. I personally don't hear the shot I take when I shoot a deer, it gets blocked out. I understand that suppressors are not "silencers" but they have to give some benefit to the hunter of not making game run as far away if at all. I think rifle hunting that you get one shot, if you miss you miss and if the deer stays then it is a dumba** and deserves to get shot. I think hearing protection is a poor excuse for needing a suppressor to hunt deer. I will probably get flamed but thats just my opinion!

I think hearing protection is a excellent reason to use a suppressor, your ears may not be affected but mine are. I already suffer from tinntius in both ears, if I can't get in ear plugs in time for a shot op, I'm left with at least a month of severe tinnitus. Since I have used my suppressor on hogs and predators my ears have actually gotten better and the ringing is not so bad. If I would have had a suppressor on my M4 while in Iraq, I wouldn't have this problem now.

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Taiaut] #2914829 01/10/12 12:49 AM
K
kyle1974 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
I think it's a great idea, however I am not seeing the specific issue to comment on?

I have a young boy that likes to hunt and likes to shoot, except he has some sensory issues that are similar to forms of autism in where he reacts poorly to loud sounds. He can shoot a 22 all day with hearing protection, but shooting anything larger scares him horribly. suppressors help with recoil, and muzzle blast... I'd like to have one for him to be able to hunt with.

the whole drama on the poaching thing.... get a grip people, why don't you push for a ban on spotlights, they help more poachers every day than any other device out there. friggen drama queens.

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: West Fork Armory] #2914842 01/10/12 12:52 AM
R
redtech Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Out of curiousity and a bit of ignorance, why would the military choose to not use suppressors?

I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: redtech] #2914935 01/10/12 01:13 AM
D
DallasShootingSupplies Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: redtech
Out of curiousity and a bit of ignorance, why would the military choose to not use suppressors?

The military does use KAC and surefire silencers. (Seals, SF, etc, not regular troops)

I am all for it. I love hunting with cans.

Last edited by DallasShootingSupplies; 01/10/12 01:17 AM.

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
50k+ barrels done. Zero Baffle Strikes
www.facebook.com/barrelthreading
www.instagram.com/class_3_machining/
Recommended by Silencerco, Capitol Armory, Hansohn Brothers, Gemtech, Ally Outfitters, The Firearm Blog etc
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: West Fork Armory] #2914942 01/10/12 01:14 AM
B
blancobuster Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: West Fork Armory
Originally Posted By: blancobuster
I don't think I would support it. I just don't see the need for it on deer and I like to know what is going on around me in the woods. I personally don't hear the shot I take when I shoot a deer, it gets blocked out. I understand that suppressors are not "silencers" but they have to give some benefit to the hunter of not making game run as far away if at all. I think rifle hunting that you get one shot, if you miss you miss and if the deer stays then it is a dumba** and deserves to get shot. I think hearing protection is a poor excuse for needing a suppressor to hunt deer. I will probably get flamed but thats just my opinion!

I think hearing protection is a excellent reason to use a suppressor, your ears may not be affected but mine are. I already suffer from tinntius in both ears, if I can't get in ear plugs in time for a shot op, I'm left with at least a month of severe tinnitus. Since I have used my suppressor on hogs and predators my ears have actually gotten better and the ringing is not so bad. If I would have had a suppressor on my M4 while in Iraq, I wouldn't have this problem now.

I do feel you on that, been ringing in my ear all week thanks to a friends dumb a**. I wish he had had a suppressor but we were hunting exotics and it would have been legal anyways. A warning would have sufficed. It is no fun that is for sure

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide