Forums46
Topics538,280
Posts9,735,259
Members87,078
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Bwana83] #2912849 01/09/12 05:00 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: Bwana83
Alright, must be a difference of opinion then. Maybe I misunderstood and just read your posts as being smart a$$ and condescending when they weren't. My mistake sir. No harm or foul and I'll apologize for jumping to conclusions

No problem buddy, didn't mean to come across as smart arse or condescending. It is hard for most I think to get the point across correctly on a computer.

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: helomech] #2912924 01/09/12 05:19 PM
R
RocksAndKittens Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
I am she not he please. Just FYI.

If it looks good, eat it.

Rocks are cool, also kittens.
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: RocksAndKittens] #2912940 01/09/12 05:23 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: RocksAndKittens
I am she not he please. Just FYI.

Oops, no way to tell on here.

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: helomech] #2912995 01/09/12 05:35 PM
_
_Scooter_ Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
_
the fact that we have to pay extra for a stamp that says we can own something is ridiculous. The argument that it will make poaching easier is TOTALLY wrong. That's like saying we should ban all guns because some people will use them to commit crimes... sound familiar? Why do people wave the flag for the 2nd amendment one day, then the same people say that there should be regulations on SOME guns and accessories? I just don't get it. If you want the right to keep and bear arms- that includes ALL guns and accessories. As long as an animal is killed legally it doesn't matter what was used.

Last edited by _Scooter_; 01/09/12 05:35 PM.

Wasn't born in Texas, but I got there as fast as I could.
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: DSST_Construction] #2913003 01/09/12 05:37 PM
S
S A Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
EDUCATION PEOPLE!!! First off, I would challenge anyone to put a "coke bottle" on the end of their .308 and see how much suppression you get. A potato??? Please. If you are ignorant on suppressor use, fine. Please don't be stupid. There are plenty of folks who are ambassadors and would let you shoot their guns and cans.

Just because you don't hear the shot when you take it from your deer rifle, doesn't mean it doesn't cause hearing damage. It does. And yes, we can wear hearing protection, but I am not a blind hunter; I like to spot and stalk and I need to hear what is going on in my surroundings.

For the rest of the nay-sayers...it is kind of like when the brady ban went into effect and all these "pro-gun" people wondered why in the hell anyone would need a black rifle. 30 rounds? What for, to kill someone? Haha. It is the same thing with suppressors. "GUN PEOPLE" will not agree because they are ignorant. They will not agree because they don't have one and don't know anything about them. Most people still think that they are illegal. How many anti-AR style rifle folks now own black rifles and hunt with them? More than are willing to admit it.

LAWS DON'T STOP PEOPLE FROM COMMITTING CRIMES! Read today's morning paper and look at the police blotter. Did the DWI law stop anyone from drinking and driving? Please show me one time, just one time, that ONE PERSON has been caught poaching with a legally owned can. One article. One link. It doesn't happen. Several hundred dollars for the item, $200 tax, months of wait...and you risk losing it? Not hardly. NFA people are waaaaaay more careful with the laws concerning their gear than the regular folk.

I don't care if your opinion is against hunting with a suppressor as long as you have taken the time to make an intelligent decision. If you are going to have input, please go out to the range and hear someone shoot with one. THEY DON'T SILENCE THE FIREARM. The supersonic crack will still be heard by the animal. They protect the hunter. P.S. hearing damage is still done while wearing hearing protection. Check and see what your normal hearing protection is rated to.

The TPWD will be taking comments on the 26th. The link is there for a reminder for the 26th. Nothing is currently up on the site. If you look at last months meeting minutes, it is discussed by a commissioner.

Please educate yourself. Please have a justifiable opinion, or just don't have one at all. We need your support. This is for gun rights. This is in support of the 2A. Thanks.

-Scott

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: DSST_Construction] #2913032 01/09/12 05:45 PM
M
Misfire Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
The presence of a suppressor is not going to make a law abiding citizen suddenly turn into a criminal. People that are already poaching are.. well.. already poaching. Suppressors will make no difference in their activities. As someone else has already stated, a very small number of poachers are going to spend a grand or more (supressor+tax stamp+threading of barrel) to shoot deer from their truck.

Suppressors are one of the most "politically" correct devices out there. They allow you to hunt and shoot while minimally disturbing your neighbors or other hunters. How many times has your hunting been ruined due to someone shooting close to you? It’s happened to me quite a few times.

The no/hearing protection advantage is a really good one as well as the reduced muzzle blast/flash... especially for those of us who like to bring our young children with us to the blind.

On a quiet morning a shot from a suppressed weapon can be pretty "loud." It can easily spook off any missed animals. Suppressed weapons are many times louder than a bow and my bow almost always spooks game when I shoot it. Anyone that has the “movie” impression that silences are dead quiet, especially in big game calibers, just hasn’t been around them.

I can't believe that there are those of us (hunters) out there that would cite the actions of a few criminals and support the imposition of unnecessary regulation on the rest of us for it.. That's EXACTLY what every anti does. It floors me to look at hunters as a whole and see how cannibalistic we are.

High fence, low fence, dogs, radio collars, drives, x-bows, long range rifles, electronic aids, fuzzy camo underwear, box blinds, feeders, food plots, spears, knives, handguns, slingshots, spotlights, bowfishing, etc.. are all common duel to the deal arguments amongst hunters. It is sickening. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but to impose it on everyone else is pretty dang selfish.

We protest LEGAL means and methods amongst ourselves enough that all any anti really needs to do is sit back and watch us destroy each other.

"I wanna go fast" -Ricky Bobby

"Mind bottling isn't it?" -Chazz Michael Michaels

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Misfire] #2913043 01/09/12 05:49 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: Misfire
The presence of a suppressor is not going to make a law abiding citizen suddenly turn into a criminal. People that are already poaching are.. well.. already poaching. Suppressors will make no difference in their activities. As someone else has already stated, a very small number of poachers are going to spend a grand or more (supressor+tax stamp+threading of barrel) to shoot deer from their truck.

Suppressors are one of the most "politically" correct devices out there. They allow you to hunt and shoot while minimally disturbing your neighbors or other hunters. How many times has your hunting been ruined due to someone shooting close to you? It’s happened to me quite a few times.

The no/hearing protection advantage is a really good one as well as the reduced muzzle blast/flash... especially for those of us who like to bring our young children with us to the blind.

On a quiet morning a shot from a suppressed weapon can be pretty "loud." It can easily spook off any missed animals. Suppressed weapons are many times louder than a bow and my bow almost always spooks game when I shoot it. Anyone that has the “movie” impression that silences are dead quiet, especially in big game calibers, just hasn’t been around them.

I can't believe that there are those of us (hunters) out there that would cite the actions of a few criminals and support the imposition of unnecessary regulation on the rest of us for it.. That's EXACTLY what every anti does. It floors me to look at hunters as a whole and see how cannibalistic we are.

High fence, low fence, dogs, radio collars, drives, x-bows, long range rifles, electronic aids, fuzzy camo underwear, box blinds, feeders, food plots, spears, knives, handguns, slingshots, spotlights, bowfishing, etc.. are all common duel to the deal arguments amongst hunters. It is sickening. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but to impose it on everyone else is pretty dang selfish.

We protest LEGAL means and methods amongst ourselves enough that all any anti really needs to do is sit back and watch us destroy each other.

flehan

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: helomech] #2913127 01/09/12 06:12 PM
B
Bwana83 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
It's sad to me to see how naive the general public can be. If ANYONE wants to sit here and try to honestly say that the have never done something illegal then they are lying to themselves as well as everyone else. People abide by laws because they fear the consequences in probably most cases. If robbing a bank were easy and you wouldn't get in much trouble for doing it, guess what...A LOT MORE PEOPLE WOULD DO IT!! Laws absolutely stop even "criminals" from doing wrong if they are too difficult or not worth committing and many "law abiding" people break laws because of OPPURTUNITY! Guess what people...SPEEDING is a crime! But people do
It because it's easy and they are willing to pay the consequences on th off chance they get caught. So let's "quit the laws only stop law abiding citizens and criminals are going to be criminals" farce. I think suppresors should be legal for game hunting but let's stop the bs and use legit reasoning

Last edited by Bwana83; 01/09/12 06:14 PM.

A mature buck might be a deer, but you can bet it's a totally different animal
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: blancobuster] #2913175 01/09/12 06:27 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: blancobuster
I don't think I would support it. I just don't see the need for it on deer and I like to know what is going on around me in the woods. I personally don't hear the shot I take when I shoot a deer, it gets blocked out. I understand that suppressors are not "silencers" but they have to give some benefit to the hunter of not making game run as far away if at all. I think rifle hunting that you get one shot, if you miss you miss and if the deer stays then it is a dumba** and deserves to get shot. I think hearing protection is a poor excuse for needing a suppressor to hunt deer. I will probably get flamed but thats just my opinion!

up I agree 100 %

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Misfire] #2913199 01/09/12 06:34 PM
T
Taiaut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Fuzzy camo underwear ? Really ????

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: DSST_Construction] #2913202 01/09/12 06:35 PM
D
Don Dial Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I believe some European countries use them even on shotguns to
decrease the noise signature, ect...I think one of our local
sausage making places uses them on Axis on a 223 to not frighten
the others thereby not making them all run every time they harvest meat for dry sausage for sale as venison..DD

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: S A] #2913220 01/09/12 06:39 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: S A

Please educate yourself. Please have a justifiable opinion, or just don't have one at all. We need your support. This is for gun rights. This is in support of the 2A. Thanks.

-Scott

I find it funny that the only good reason the OP can give for owning one is "hearing protection". I think the only reason is because he'd like to sell more supperssors.

Give me a break who's SO worried about hearing they're going to jump through hoops and spend the $$$ just so the don't have to wear ear plugs???

You'd just like to sell more supperssors...

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #2913238 01/09/12 06:44 PM
R
RocksAndKittens Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Bwana83 your "logic" baffles me. You seem to be saying humans do not have ethics or morals, and all of us are criminals waiting for our opportunity to break free of constraints.

I'm sorry you think so poorly of your fellow humans, but I do believe humans have morals and ethics.

To address the risk vs. reward statement you are making, I mentioned that very briefly. All persons have a risk versus rewards drive built in, but it is not the same for every person. Some people find the risk of breaking a law worth the perceived reward, and some don't. The one's that break the law are not law abiding, by the very definition of the term. The ones that don't break the law are law abiding, by the very definition of the term.

This is describing an idealized situation because we don't have time (and I don't have the data) to factor in all of the possible permutations that could be interpreted for this discussion. In the reality of a non-perfect world, some persons might choose to break a law and not break another law (for example, speeding might be perceived as an acceptable risk vs. reward but another law would be too risky to break)

Perhaps citizen was too general for this discussion, and I should have specified hunter.

Last edited by RocksAndKittens; 01/09/12 07:35 PM. Reason: typo

If it looks good, eat it.

Rocks are cool, also kittens.
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Bwana83] #2913249 01/09/12 06:46 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Legit reasons

1. It can make it easier for people to protect their hearing while spotting and stalking game.
2. I can carry one less gun to the blind.
3. It won't disrupt the neighbors as much
4. It would make it more comfortable for a child to set up on a Rifle without the bulky eat muffs getting in the way.
5. You could remove varmits while deer hunting and continue sitting without running all the deer "out of the county".
6. Since it's already legal to own one for varmit hunting, GWs wouldnt have to worry if a "game animal" was harvested with it during inspection.

These are just some pro's to making them legal for all hunting aspects. I currently don't have one yet. I had to go through a background check through my local sheriffs office and then had to send off the paperwork to the BATF and I guess they will also go through the same check. Do you really think a "true full time poacher" will have a perfectly clean record? Do you think this type of person is going to go through all the steps to get one?

As far as the comment about "wanting to know what your neighbors are doing..." how can you tell if they are only archery hunting? How do you know they aren't target shooting? My place is only 670 acres, and there are times that I don't hear my dad or brother shooting and they are using magnum rifles...

Now, what are some of the Cons to hunting with a supressor?

1. People might think they can get away with something with a quiter rifle. Well, they are already getting away with it with a loud rifle, what difference does it make?
2. If you want one, you are going to have spend about $800-1000
3. If you need to signal someone that you are injured, you'll have to unscrew the suppressor. (old school 3 shots...)
5. ........
6. ......

Can someone fill in the blanks?

By the way, how many people are up in the middle of the night when most poaching probably takes place? Even if you are up in deer camp and you hear a shot, can you pin point exactly where it happened? Depending on the wind, it could be as close as your neighbor, or even a half mile away.

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: S A] #2913314 01/09/12 07:00 PM
B
blancobuster Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B

Just because you don't hear the shot when you take it from your deer rifle, doesn't mean it doesn't cause hearing damage. It does. And yes, we can wear hearing protection, but I am not a blind hunter; I like to spot and stalk and I need to hear what is going on in my surroundings.

For the rest of the nay-sayers...it is kind of like when the brady ban went into effect and all these "pro-gun" people wondered why in the hell anyone would need a black rifle. 30 rounds? What for, to kill someone? Haha. It is the same thing with suppressors. "GUN PEOPLE" will not agree because they are ignorant. They will not agree because they don't have one and don't know anything about them. Most people still think that they are illegal. How many anti-AR style rifle folks now own black rifles and hunt with them? More than are willing to admit it.

I hunt with an AR sometimes, but with a 5 round magazine. If someone uses a thirty round mag that is fine but I hope that they only plan on needing one bullet for a deer. I think that the whole "poachers will use them" argument is ridiculous. I just think that we hunters already have enough advantages over animals and though a supressor would be a miniscule advantage compared to the other ones that we have at our disposal such as modern firearms/ammunition with long range capablities, scopes, feeders, comfortable blinds with good rests, game cameras, feeders, HF(yes this is an advantage and yes I hunt high fence sometimes), and modern archery equipment, I just do not think it is needed. The only benefit that I could see with this is that there would be a flood of new people wanting suppressors which my cause the BAFTE to act and make them more accesible, but I do not think that is going to happen. This will likely just make a longer waiting period because BAFTE is not going to budge an inch in this liberal anti-gun climate that we live in.

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Tye] #2913343 01/09/12 07:05 PM
B
Bwana83 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Very nice reasoning, but if the noise doesn't matter then why would poachers use .22s? See what I'm saying now? You can Bigger calipers that r just as cheap and muchore effective sans the increased noise. One shot is almsot impossible to find but two isnt and if you cant hear it at all because it's quite then u obvioulsy have no idea where. Bows are too difficult to poach with in most instances too. It's not a reason to keep it from being legal (after reading the cons throughout the thread I'm defientely for it) but I can promise it will be what nay sayers hold on to

Last edited by Bwana83; 01/09/12 07:09 PM.

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Bwana83] #2913372 01/09/12 07:10 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
If they become legal for hunting I will make it more of a priority to get one. Was supposed to get one already, but things fell through, and plans where changed.

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Bwana83] #2913401 01/09/12 07:17 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Very nice reasoning, but if the noise doesn't matter then why would poachers use .22s? See what I'm saying now? It's not a reason to keep stop it from being legal (after reading the cons throughout the thread I'm defientely for it) but I can promise it will be what nay sayers hold on to

Poachers will use any gun they can get their hands on. A .22 is cheap to shoot and the gun only cost $150. If they have to ditch it, they aren't out much money.

Like mentioned earlier, wouldn't a night vision scope be more useful to a poacher? I would guess that most poachers are caught by using spot lights looking for animals. But again, the average poacher isn't going to spend $800-1000 for a NV scope.

In reality, I guess I could take one rifle that is suppressed and one that isn't to a deer blind(or just unscrew the suppressor)to hunt deer and pigs. If a deer shows up, take the suppressor off, if a hog shows up...leave it on. Is this not legal?

If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Bwana83] #2913420 01/09/12 07:21 PM
M
Misfire Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
It's sad to me to see how naive the general public can be. If ANYONE wants to sit here and try to honestly say that the have never done something illegal then they are lying to themselves as well as everyone else. People abide by laws because they fear the consequences in probably most cases. If robbing a bank were easy and you wouldn't get in much trouble for doing it, guess what...A LOT MORE PEOPLE WOULD DO IT!! Laws absolutely stop even "criminals" from doing wrong if they are too difficult or not worth committing and many "law abiding" people break laws because of OPPURTUNITY! Guess what people...SPEEDING is a crime! But people do
It because it's easy and they are willing to pay the consequences on th off chance they get caught. So let's "quit the laws only stop law abiding citizens and criminals are going to be criminals" farce. I think suppresors should be legal for game hunting but let's stop the bs and use legit reasoning

I kinda see what you are shooting for here but this entire post is very presumptuous and you are reaching a bit too far, in my opinion, to make a point. You seem to think law abiding citizens are criminals just waiting for an opportunity to break the law. I think most of us here would disagree with you and prove you wrong. (perhaps a bit of presumption on my part as well?..)

BTW.. Are you the same Bwana from the Fuge?

"I wanna go fast" -Ricky Bobby

"Mind bottling isn't it?" -Chazz Michael Michaels

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #2913452 01/09/12 07:29 PM
S
S A Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
Originally Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

-Scott

I find it funny that the only good reason the OP can give for owning one is "hearing protection". I think the only reason is because he'd like to sell more supperssors.

Give me a break who's SO worried about hearing they're going to jump through hoops and spend the $$$ just so the don't have to wear ear plugs???

You'd just like to sell more supperssors...

Does the OP want to sell more suppressors??? HELL YES! I am a capitalist! Are you against that? I am a Constitutionalist as well. I believe in the 2A. Do I have an agenda? SURE! Doesn't everyone? My agenda reaches well beyond my business. I have done a lot in support of gun rights. I have also worked my [censored] off in the cause of concealed carry on campus. No, I don't sell guns, only cans. But I was an MBA student at the time. That was after 4 years in the Marine Corps infantry championing the anti-islamic terrorism cause. That did not pay well, but I loved it.

Why own a suppressor?

Increased accuracy, increased muzzle velocity, reduced recoil, decreases muzzle flip for follow-up shots, reduces sound and light signature, they are freaking cool and its your right to do so. Many people who are avid hunters already own them and would like to use them when they deer, alligator, or squirrel hunt. They make the job of teaching a child to shoot a lot easier too.

If guns were invented today, OSHA would require you to own and use a suppressor when shooting.

blancobuster is right, humans are higher on the food chain than animals and our intelligence level is higher (in most cases). This is not about an advantage over animals. Hell, the white tail population is extremely high in Texas.

From the work that I have done and the folks that I have talked to that matter in TPWD, this is pretty much a done deal. You can hunt Elk in CO and NM with them. You can hunt moose and bear in ID. A lot of the other pro gun states are already on board.

To the antis...let me ask this...other than poaching (which is a ridiculous notion to buy a silencer just to poach), what are your reservations?

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: S A] #2913498 01/09/12 07:39 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T

To the antis...let me ask this...other than poaching (which is a ridiculous notion to buy a silencer just to poach), what are your reservations?

I don't have the money to have one on every rifle with different calibers bang

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: S A] #2913505 01/09/12 07:42 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
I personally don't think that I would ever use one, but have no issue with someone that wants too. Haven't really seen a good reason posted yet that would convinve me otherwise either.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Tye] #2913507 01/09/12 07:42 PM
P
PHishTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: Tye
Legit reasons
Also pretty weak reasons. Not really useful material when trying to get a gun law passed. IMO

Not that I'd lobby for it but I'm not necessarily "against" it either.

1. It can make it easier for people to protect their hearing while spotting and stalking game. Very little spot and stalk goes on in TX. Can we ban feeders once these are approved? What have S&S been doing the last 100years?
2. I can carry one less gun to the blind. ?Really?
3. It won't disrupt the neighbors as muchThe neighbors again? How thoughtful....almost as thoughtful as the HF for them....almost
4. It would make it more comfortable for a child to set up on a Rifle without the bulky eat muffs getting in the way. But it is good to teach kids to use hearing protection, wish I had worn it when I was younger.....huh? Earplugs aren't bulky What about the kids that want to shoot and don't have suppressors? Why do THEY have to be the ones that wear the BULKY EAR PHONES ?? (pout)
5. You could remove varmits while deer hunting and continue sitting without running all the deer "out of the county". Doesn't your HF keep deer in the "county"
6. Since it's already legal to own one for varmit hunting, GWs wouldnt have to worry if a "game animal" was harvested with it during inspection. GW don't really worry about enforcing laws. it's their job. Just like it isn't worrying if a deer was shot with a .22 (rimfire). I don't think they were too happy when it came down to measuring 13" racks and giving kids tickets for 12 3/4" either...Worring about it isn't in the equation!!

These are just some pro's to making them legal for all hunting aspects. I currently don't have one yet. I had to go through a background check through my local sheriffs office and then had to send off the paperwork to the BATF and I guess they will also go through the same check. Do you really think a "true full time poacher" will have a perfectly clean record? Do you think this type of person is going to go through all the steps to get one?

As far as the comment about "wanting to know what your neighbors are doing..." how can you tell if they are only archery hunting? How do you know they aren't target shooting? My place is only 670 acres, and there are times that I don't hear my dad or brother shooting and they are using magnum rifles...

Now, what are some of the Cons to hunting with a supressor?

1. People might think they can get away with something with a quiter rifle. Well, they are already getting away with it with a loud rifle, what difference does it make?
2. If you want one, you are going to have spend about $800-1000
3. If you need to signal someone that you are injured, you'll have to unscrew the suppressor. (old school 3 shots...)
5. ........
6. ......

Can someone fill in the blanks?

By the way, how many people are up in the middle of the night when most poaching probably takes place? Even if you are up in deer camp and you hear a shot, can you pin point exactly where it happened? Depending on the wind, it could be as close as your neighbor, or even a half mile away.

Originally Posted By: WMI report
"If age structure is deemed to be valuable to management,...What percentage change in age structure or condition does TPWD recognize that it needs to detect in order to trigger a regulatory change?

confused2TPWDconfused2
Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: RocksAndKittens] #2913508 01/09/12 07:43 PM
B
Bwana83 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted By: RocksAndKittens
Bwana83 your "logic" baffles me. You seem to be saying humans do not have ethics or morals, and all of us are criminals waiting for our opportunity to break free of constraints.

I'm sorry you think so poorly of your fellow humans, but I do believe humans have morals and ethics.

To address the risk vs. reward statement you are making, I mentioned that very briefly. All persons have a risk versus rewards drive built in, but it is not the same for every person. Some people find the risk of breaking a law work the perceived reward, and some don't. The one's that break the law are not law abiding, by the very definition of the term. The ones that don't break the law are law abiding, by the very definition of the term.

This is describing an idealized situation because we don't have time (and I don't have the data) to factor in all of the possible permutations that could be interpreted for this discussion. In the reality of a non-perfect world, some persons might choose to break a law and not break another law (for example, speeding might be perceived as an acceptable risk vs. reward but another law would be too risky to break)

Perhaps citizen was too general for this discussion, and I should have specified hunter.

All people have some level of morals or ethics but everyone is a criminal by definition as you stated because we all break laws or commit some form of crime.

I dont think think poorly of fellow hunters but I am a realist. I'm going to just plead the 5th and only say that a LOT more poaching goes on than what the majority of people either realize or will admit. I am all for freedoms but I also hate that people take advantage of those freedoms and whether we can agree on it publically or not, I think we all know that many people (not all or even most neccesarily) will take advantage of any freedom they are given.

The risk/reward is my point...And everyone abides some laws but will break some too so by definition they are what exactly?

And again the risk/reward is my point, just have to be careful when doing things to lower the risk even though in this case I think the reasoning for it is sound enough to do so.

On a lighter note it cracks me up youre a femaile because I always thought your handle was just some guy being a little sadistic but it's so much funnier to know that it's a "she". Very nice!

Re: SILENCER USE...FOR HUNTING TEXAS GAME ANIMALS? ***JAN 26*** [Re: Tye] #2913510 01/09/12 07:43 PM
T
TRIJI....WHAT Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Tye

I don't have the money to have one on every rifle with different calibers bang

That is the beauty TYE..... I can use my 30 cal suppressor on the .223 just fine! The same suppressor I use on my FN Tactical .45 is used on shooting subsonic on my 300 blackout..... so that is not a problem !!!!!!!

Shhhhhhhh better to be quiet than remove all doubt..
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide