Print Thread
First attempt on 'yotes. What did I do wrong? #2897136 01/04/12 12:52 PM
D
D Red Raider Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
Long-time deer hunter - but have never actually set up and tried to varmint hunt until this past weekend. Got a handheld electric call for Christmas so bro-in-law and I drove out to the lease w/ spotlight and enough guns and ammo to fight two wars.... We started at 7pm setting in my elevated double blind - gave a few 'yote barks, followed by c-tail rabbit distress squeals - waited - more squeals. Long story short, never saw so much as a dang 'coon. Moved to an open field surrounded by brush and set up in back of pickup. Again, nothing. We've hunted deer on this place for 11 years and always hear plenty of 'yote howling at night and we've killed three bobcats and routinely see fox. What did we do wrong? Someone give me a quick primer. Please. Thanks.

So she says "sure Honey, I agree, you DO need a new deer rifle..." And that, boys, is how I ended up with new living room furniture!
Re: First attempt on 'yotes. What did I do wrong? [Re: D Red Raider] #2897339 01/04/12 02:24 PM
6mm284 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
You may not have done anything wrong. Sometimes they just don't come. I have been out nights without seeing one animal, and have been out nights where they were trying to load up in the truck on their own. Your not going to see or shoot something on every stand/hunt. Just keep trying!

"Like" us @ Cottontail Blues on Facebook
Re: First attempt on 'yotes. What did I do wrong? [Re: D Red Raider] #2897892 01/04/12 04:50 PM
J
J_squared Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Yeah, like 6mm said, there have been MANY more times that I go out and put on a free concert then call something in! Don't sweat it. The coyote can have up to a 25 square mile territory. I think that applies to more wide open areas Like AZ or NV, but they still have a large area they roam when not denning. They may have just not been there. I read where they have a 2 or 3 day circuit they follow. So just a bit of patience and determination will call in that first coyote. I would also make sure I was covering all of the basics like wind and scent, cover, movement, camo and maybe a decoy. Good luck and let us know how it goes! They are cunning hunters!

~ "JJ"
Re: First attempt on 'yotes. What did I do wrong? [Re: 6mm284] #2898229 01/04/12 06:28 PM
Txkiller Offline
the terminator
the terminator
Originally Posted By: 6mm284
You may not have done anything wrong. Sometimes they just don't come. I have been out nights without seeing one animal, and have been out nights where they were trying to load up in the truck on their own. Your not going to see or shoot something on every stand/hunt. Just keep trying!

Amen!

Re: First attempt on 'yotes. What did I do wrong? [Re: Txkiller] #2898454 01/04/12 07:43 PM
U
UltimatePredator Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
U
Did you leave your light on the entire time you were on each stand?

Last edited by UltimatePredator; 01/04/12 07:44 PM.

CARNIVORE'S night hunting Professionals!

Only on Pursuit...

www.ultimatepredatortv.com
Re: First attempt on 'yotes. What did I do wrong? [Re: UltimatePredator] #2900361 01/05/12 04:16 AM
D
D Red Raider Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
I should have given more details. I'm located in central Texas (Brown Co.) hunting in an area with a mix of open fields surrounded by fairly heavy brush, oaks, mequites etc... We parked 200 yrds away and walked to my deer blind. Sat fairly quietly and called with a variety of coyote barks then rabbit distress squeals. We had a 3/4 moon that was really bright so we could see well without lights, but would shine a spotlight around occasionally. Nothing..... Moved out into the middle of a field and did the same routine from the back of my pickup. I'd appreciate if someone would give me a "Yote 101" primer - i.e. 1st. try this, then 2nd do this etc.... I'm thinking we'll do this mostly at night. What kind of calls to make, how often to call, how much light is ok to use etc.... THanks for the help guys. I enjoy the sight.

So she says "sure Honey, I agree, you DO need a new deer rifle..." And that, boys, is how I ended up with new living room furniture!
Re: First attempt on 'yotes. What did I do wrong? [Re: D Red Raider] #2900486 01/05/12 04:52 AM
F
furdown Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
#1 Turn the light on before you start calling and turn it off when you are done. You cant see them without the light and if the lights in their eyes they cant see you.

Its like the others said, they gotta be there to come to the call, and sometimes they are there and wont come. I like to call with the wind in my face, even if it means I have skip some of my best spots, and it happens alot when the wind is not right. Barks usually mean your busted, I never use barks. If you want to start out with vocalization then start with an interagation howl, then repeat after a few minutes, then go into distress, or just start out with distress.

I always try to figure out where the yotes are most likely to be get into postion that when they do try to wind me they will come into my shooting path, doesnt always work, not even half of the time, so watch all around.

�There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never cared for anything else thereafter.�- Ernest Hemingway

Re: First attempt on 'yotes. What did I do wrong? [Re: furdown] #2901690 01/05/12 05:43 PM
U
UltimatePredator Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
U
The 1st rule of hunting at night is leave your light on the entire time you are on a stand like fur down said. I would highly recommend never getting in any kind of an inclosed blind to hunt at night also. It only complicates things as your light is your concealment hunting at night and having obstructions for your light to hit is not a good thing. There is a good chance that you had animals respond to your calls this past weekend without you ever knowing it with or without moonlight. If there were ever a period during a stand were your light was off for even a few seconds, thats plenty of time for an animal to run in and leave without ever being seen.

Next time out try calling from the back of your truck and running that light the entire time and see if that makes a difference. good luck chris

Only on Pursuit...

Re: First attempt on 'yotes. What did I do wrong? [Re: UltimatePredator] #2903783 01/06/12 03:54 AM
D
D Red Raider Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
Hey, great input and I do appreciate the help very much. Clarifying a few points.... If I'm in an open field with heavy woods and brush outside the perimeter fence, then I guess I set up to look into the wind, keep the spotlight shining into the brushline constantly. Yes? Do I scan back and forth with the beam shining directly into the brush? I'd been told to hold the light up so that only the periphary of the bean illuminates the brush so as to pick up the eye-glow but not spook the animal. Your way makes sense to me though. Am I understanding correctly?

Re: First attempt on 'yotes. What did I do wrong? [Re: D Red Raider] #2904175 01/06/12 06:56 AM
U
UltimatePredator Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
U
Yes. Your halo should be plenty of light to pick up eyes. Keep it on them till you are ready to pull the trigger and light them up. Good luck

Only on Pursuit...

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide