Forums46
Topics538,279
Posts9,735,214
Members87,078
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: If MLD program is so great, why aren't all landowners required to participate? [Re: stxranchman] #2893246 01/03/12 04:46 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
After careful consideration of most, if not all points of view,I can actually see it from Both sides? There are always many sides. All I'm saying is everybody must pull their weight.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: If MLD program is so great, why aren't all landowners required to participate? [Re: Erathkid] #2893594 01/03/12 12:47 PM
P
Play Maker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Quote:
Hey,If ANYONE gets a 5 month season and with all the required paperwork for TPWD,what's a $1000 extra. You can make that up in 1 hunt. This issue has come up more than once. All I'm saying is PAY YOUR FAIR SHARE. Period. Or open your place up to public hunting. TPWD is not here to be at the beckon call of landowners who want to SELL HUNTS. I just threw the $1000 out there...Certainly the numbers could be tweaked. Closing state parks so that we have more biologists to evaluate private properties that are in business to make money is not fair.
Quote:
Maybe I should have stated,my license fees are going to benefit a private enterprise, why should my tax dollars go to subsidize something that should be a normal business venture? Let the market decide if you can turn a profit,if not,get out of business...BTW I am a landowner and could Qualify for MLD.

I'm just going to have to let this one go.

Re: If MLD program is so great, why aren't all landowners required to participate? [Re: Play Maker] #2895493 01/03/12 11:20 PM
S
Smoke Checkem Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Our private bioligist does 95% of the work.The TPW either approves or dissaproves the plan then hits the print button for the permits.Not alot of cost in the system.

If it's not overkill then it's underachievement.
Re: If MLD program is so great, why aren't all landowners required to participate? [Re: Smoke Checkem] #2895653 01/04/12 12:06 AM
P
Play Maker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Quote:
The TPW either approves or dissaproves the plan then hits the print button for the permits.Not alot of cost in the system.

Kind of what I was thinking, but there is the possibility that I am wrong. I e-mail my data to the TPWD biologist. He either calls or e-mails me the following day and the permits are received a few days later.

Re: If MLD program is so great, why aren't all landowners required to participate? [Re: Play Maker] #2895657 01/04/12 12:07 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Play Maker
Quote:
The TPW either approves or dissaproves the plan then hits the print button for the permits.Not alot of cost in the system.

Kind of what I was thinking, but there is the possibility that I am wrong. I e-mail my data to the TPWD biologist. He either calls or e-mails me the following day and the permits are received a few days later.

So the permits appear out of thin air. Interesting. Endless supply of them so I agree no costs involved.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: If MLD program is so great, why aren't all landowners required to participate? [Re: stxranchman] #2895904 01/04/12 01:08 AM
B
BenBob Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I know of a mule deer ranch on MLD and the rancher let the people leasing the ranch do the survey after being told how to take it by the state's game biologist. Rancher presented the info to the biologist and they agreed on a harvest number and that was it. Of course the state had to mail him the permits, but
doesn't sound real complicated to me. I am sure there is more to it, but looks like to me if you can read, you can do it. Of course, I have been wrong before and plan on being wrong again. I have been out there hunting and they never really seem to have a plan set in stone. I just wait until I am told I can shoot and never shoot until I am told to.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: If MLD program is so great, why aren't all landowners required to participate? [Re: BenBob] #2897307 01/04/12 02:13 PM
P
PHishTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Since MLD seems to be a financial burden on TPWD, they could eliminate it, MLD ranches can turn out the "extra deer", and the TPWD Biologists could get a job in the private sector for more money.

WIN, WIN, WIN

Originally Posted By: WMI report
"If age structure is deemed to be valuable to management,...What percentage change in age structure or condition does TPWD recognize that it needs to detect in order to trigger a regulatory change?

confused2TPWDconfused2
Re: If MLD program is so great, why aren't all landowners required to participate? [Re: PHishTX] #2897332 01/04/12 02:20 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: PHishTX
Since MLD seems to be a financial burden on TPWD, they could eliminate it, MLD ranches can turn out the "extra deer", and the TPWD Biologists could get a job in the private sector for more money.

WIN, WIN, WIN

You might just be surprised how many LF ranches are in the program also.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: If MLD program is so great, why aren't all landowners required to participate? [Re: stxranchman] #2897528 01/04/12 03:17 PM
C
Cool_Hand Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
X2

Benny
Promise Ranch
Re: If MLD program is so great, why aren't all landowners required to participate? [Re: stxranchman] #2897549 01/04/12 03:24 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

WIN, WIN, WIN

X2

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: If MLD program is so great, why aren't all landowners required to participate? [Re: stxranchman] #2897837 01/04/12 04:32 PM
P
PHishTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P

No, I know....They LF-MLD just want to jump on the bandwagon and get longer seasons, liberal limits, etc. They can feel like they are deer managers too.

Not worried about the LF cuz the deer can leave if the habitat isn't supporting them. Mother Nature is funny that way.

The MLD was ORIGINALLY for HF !!!

Last edited by PHishTX; 01/04/12 04:33 PM. Reason: kant tipe

Originally Posted By: WMI report
"If age structure is deemed to be valuable to management,...What percentage change in age structure or condition does TPWD recognize that it needs to detect in order to trigger a regulatory change?

confused2TPWDconfused2
Re: If MLD program is so great, why aren't all landowners required to participate? [Re: PHishTX] #2897855 01/04/12 04:38 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N

No, I know....They LF-MLD just want to jump on the bandwagon and get longer seasons, liberal limits, etc. They can feel like they are deer managers too.

Not worried about the LF cuz the deer can leave if the habitat isn't supporting them. Mother Nature is funny that way.

The MLD was ORIGINALLY for HF !!!

But it works on a sizeable low fence place just the same...and if you keep them fed on a low fence place they arnt goin anywere... is it perfect nope...but its whats avalible if you want to seriously manage a place with high numbers of deer... if you dnt want to do it then dont... its not manditory

Re: If MLD program is so great, why aren't all landowners required to participate? [Re: Navasot] #2897874 01/04/12 04:46 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Mld is the best thing to ever happen to LF hill country properties.

Even if it just level 1 & 2

Mld is great due to the awareness it puts on you herd and CC.

Mld with just the theory of its practice is what has allowed your typical LF hill country's counties such as mason, llano, Gillispie counties get their numbers under control for mature bucks to reach a high level of their potential...why we are seeing hill country breaking 150-170

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: If MLD program is so great, why aren't all landowners required to participate? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #2897879 01/04/12 04:47 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Not only the bucks but a healthier herd that with stands the evils of mother nature better

Re: If MLD program is so great, why aren't all landowners required to participate? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #2898863 01/04/12 10:08 PM
S
Smoke Checkem Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
MLD is managed land permit not managed fence permit.Theres nothing majical about it.You work hard and give good data make a good plan and reap the rewards.Anybody can apply for it.You just need atleast 800 contiguous acres.You donot have to own all of it by your self but can join forces with other small landowners to achieve the acrerage.It just takes some envolvement.

Re: If MLD program is so great, why aren't all landowners required to participate? [Re: Smoke Checkem] #2899137 01/04/12 11:22 PM
L
Let The Air Out of 'Em Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
MLD is a lot of work.....like the old saying..."If it WAS that easy, everyone would be doing it!!"
And by the way, it DOES work on LOW FENCE RANCHES!!!!
We are on 1,650 acres (owned by the same person) and it works great....just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
What you really need is a 300 Winchester Magnum. That is the best caliber on the planet, probably even in the solar system and maybe the universe.

Originally Posted By: STX Hog Hunter
Go get him! Shoot him in the face!
Re: If MLD program is so great, why aren't all landowners required to participate? [Re: PHishTX] #2899217 01/04/12 11:49 PM
P
Play Maker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Quote:

How else do you propose I control the population on a low fenced ranch without jumping on the "bandwagon" while pretending to be a deer manager?
Quote:

You know this comment isn't accurate.

Re: If MLD program is so great, why aren't all landowners required to participate? [Re: Play Maker] #2899421 01/05/12 12:46 AM
S
Smoke Checkem Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Do not know why anyone would not want to use MLD if they qualify.You get to set it up the way you want and itgives you alot of fredom you usually dont have.

Re: If MLD program is so great, why aren't all landowners required to participate? [Re: Smoke Checkem] #2899470 01/05/12 12:56 AM
S
Smoke Checkem Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
All of the data that I send in is electronic no paper.The only paper is the printed permit.Like I said earlier my biologist does most of the work on the plan.

Re: If MLD program is so great, why aren't all landowners required to participate? [Re: Smoke Checkem] #2900911 01/05/12 02:12 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
I've hunted LF MLD for the past few years with great success. We were able to get the population under CC and managed a 1.5:1 doe-to-buck ratio.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide