Forums46
Topics538,279
Posts9,735,222
Members87,078
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: What Changes Would You Make in the Seasons and Deer Bag Limit? [Re: rtp] #2896226 01/04/12 02:15 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
the reason is statewide age structure, we can't be having discussions and age & score threads still in Feb with 3.75, 4.75, etc responses. Bucks are run down after rut and trying to find any way possible to put on fat storage and they would get slaughtered. I'm a firm believer that the best time to kill bucks isn't Oct, Nov, Dec...it's Jan & Feb when they need your handouts the most up

Last edited by rifleman; 01/04/12 03:13 PM.
Re: What Changes Would You Make in the Seasons and Deer Bag Limit? [Re: rtp] #2896243 01/04/12 02:18 AM
T
TxHunter18 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: rtp
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
If it is biologically ok for the MLD ranches to be hunting until the end of Feb then I think it should be ok to extend the season that far for the regular season and all the regular Joes. What does it matter if I kill my alloted 3 bucks (I havent killed more than one since....well I cant remember) in November or Feb?

MLD is set up for individual property harvest, not county or hunter wide.

its a hard concept to fathom, but its set up this way for a reason. Sorry joe

Your not getting the drift of the message brother. If I can take 3 bucks in my county why does it matter if I take them in Nov or Feb. Give me a biological reason.

BTW, my ranch is better managed than most I have seen that are on MLDs. I just prefer not to participate in it.
popcorn

Re: What Changes Would You Make in the Seasons and Deer Bag Limit? [Re: txtrophy85] #2896244 01/04/12 02:18 AM
M
millerliteliker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: millerliteliker

3. Start gun hunting in mid November.
4. Outlaw automatic feeders. Allow baiting, but not with automatic spin feeders.

what would these solve?

This would give the herd a chance to produce many more mature bucks. It would eliminate the "hunters" who climb into their box blinds thirty minutes before their automatic feeders go off and then blast the first 8 pt. buck that walks in to feed like a cow.

Mathews Z7 Bow for Whitetail and Hogs
Remington R-15 .223 REM for predators
I also like to "hunt" sporting clays with my Benelli SuperSport!
Re: What Changes Would You Make in the Seasons and Deer Bag Limit? [Re: millerliteliker] #2896356 01/04/12 02:44 AM
K
Kell Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
I would like to see the 13" inside spread AR done away with and a more reasonable inside spread, like 11" be put in its place. Mississippi Research shows that it is not necessary to have extreme AR's to protect over 90% of the 18 mos bucks, some 2.5 yr bucks and even a few of the 3.5 year bucks and this put some discretion back into the hands of the hunters.

Re: What Changes Would You Make in the Seasons and Deer Bag Limit? [Re: millerliteliker] #2896362 01/04/12 02:45 AM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B

4. Outlaw automatic feeders. Allow baiting, but not with automatic spin feeders.

what would these solve?

This would give the herd a chance to produce many more mature bucks. It would eliminate the "hunters" who climb into their box blinds thirty minutes before their automatic feeders go off and then blast the first 8 pt. buck that walks in to feed like a cow.

I personally think automatic feeders are a great tool for management purposes. Put a camera up in August/September and you will see most of your bucks on them. Also, I have probably fed 100 different deer this season with my automatic feeder and have shot 1 deer and he wasn't at the feeder.

Re: What Changes Would You Make in the Seasons and Deer Bag Limit? [Re: BowSlayer] #2896465 01/04/12 03:06 AM
W
wfontjr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
one 13" buck with rifle and one 13" buck with bow, that way after I shoot a 13" buck with the rifle I could continue to buck hunt, odds much lower you will kill one with a bow in east texas

Re: What Changes Would You Make in the Seasons and Deer Bag Limit? [Re: millerliteliker] #2896467 01/04/12 03:07 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

what would these solve?

I kill just about every deer by using a tailgate or road feeder. Much better than any spin feeder. Best management tool there is in my opinion. A coffee can full of corn killed many a yearling buck back in the day before spin feeders also.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: What Changes Would You Make in the Seasons and Deer Bag Limit? [Re: stxranchman] #2896515 01/04/12 03:22 AM
T
TxHunter18 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

what would these solve?

I kill just about every deer by using a tailgate or road feeder. Much better than any spin feeder. Best management tool there is in my opinion. A coffee can full of corn killed many a yearling buck back in the day before spin feeders also.

why is it much better than a spin feeder. It does the exact same thing.

Re: What Changes Would You Make in the Seasons and Deer Bag Limit? [Re: TxHunter18] #2896603 01/04/12 03:40 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
You can put deer anywhere you want in any wind or weather condition. You do not have to have a set blind location and can move hunters around. You can locate a deer on any piece of property with a tailgate feeder by judging and locating food and sign. It does the same thing but with much more flexibilaty and less felt pressure by a hunters presence. I use it as a scouting tool to locate numbers of deer and bucks. Once found then you can move in on the area to concentrate on specific deer or numbers of deer then move and take the pressure of that area unlike sitting in one spot in a blind looking at the same feeder. Deer get condition to a feeder and pressure from hunters. Most hunters sit in the same blind no matter what the wind does. Even out of a blind you can move deer around to put the wind in your favor when using a tailgate feeder.

Re: What Changes Would You Make in the Seasons and Deer Bag Limit? [Re: stxranchman] #2896628 01/04/12 03:43 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
i learned along time ago, the best feeder is the one on your truck.

when i want a deer to appear in a certain area, i use a tailgate feeder.

want to shoot a deer in the middle of the day....bust out the tailgate feeder.

wanna do a wack and stack on some does? feed several different roads with a tailgate feeder and turn on the tunes.

I've gotten to the point, where if i can't tailgate feed, i don't really feel like going hunting.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: What Changes Would You Make in the Seasons and Deer Bag Limit? [Re: txtrophy85] #2896727 01/04/12 04:14 AM
D
Deer Whisperer Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Deer hunters are their worst emenies;UNITED WE STAND DIVIDE WE FALL!

Re: What Changes Would You Make in the Seasons and Deer Bag Limit? [Re: wfontjr] #2897261 01/04/12 01:53 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: wfontjr
one 13" buck with rifle and one 13" buck with bow, that way after I shoot a 13" buck with the rifle I could continue to buck hunt, odds much lower you will kill one with a bow in east texas

This. But my reasoning is reversed:if I shoot a good buck with the bow I would like to be able to keep hunting a good one with the rifle.As you pointed out,I believe the impact on the deer herd would be minimal but this rule would positively effect hunter participation.

But on the whole I am fine with things the way they are in my county.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: What Changes Would You Make in the Seasons and Deer Bag Limit? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #2897285 01/04/12 02:03 PM
P
PHishTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Since MLD was set up for density of HF (originally), and now the state feels burdened and "needs" to charge for their efforts.

Just remove the MLD program. Let the folks with captive herds shoot under the general season limits, bring in hunters if desired, or turn out the excess deer. (i.e. open the gates) to get the pressure off their habitat.

Originally Posted By: WMI report
"If age structure is deemed to be valuable to management,...What percentage change in age structure or condition does TPWD recognize that it needs to detect in order to trigger a regulatory change?

confused2TPWDconfused2
Re: What Changes Would You Make in the Seasons and Deer Bag Limit? [Re: rifleman] #2897364 01/04/12 02:35 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: rifleman
So AR counties could hunt Aug-mid Oct then cut off... sounds like a plan up Would be some big deer hitting the ground in August grin

You aint lyin one bit id go for that any day

Re: What Changes Would You Make in the Seasons and Deer Bag Limit? [Re: PHishTX] #2897414 01/04/12 02:48 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: PHishTX
Since MLD was set up for density of HF (originally), and now the state feels burdened and "needs" to charge for their efforts.

Just remove the MLD program. Let the folks with captive herds shoot under the general season limits, bring in hunters if desired, or turn out the excess deer. (i.e. open the gates) to get the pressure off their habitat.

yes, like that would't overburden low fence places.

it amazes me the misconceptions about high fenced and managed places that some of ya'll have

Last edited by txtrophy85; 01/04/12 02:49 PM.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: What Changes Would You Make in the Seasons and Deer Bag Limit? [Re: txtrophy85] #2897482 01/04/12 03:05 PM
P
PHishTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Well, if it gets overburdened, my neighbors could shoot 'em..... banana

"If age structure is deemed to be valuable to management,...What percentage change in age structure or condition does TPWD recognize that it needs to detect in order to trigger a regulatory change?

confused2TPWDconfused2
Re: What Changes Would You Make in the Seasons and Deer Bag Limit? [Re: rifleman] #2897484 01/04/12 03:05 PM
R
rtp Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
the reason is statewide age structure, we can't be havinging discussions and age & score threads still in Feb with 3.75, 4.75, etc responses. Bucks are run down after rut and trying to find any way possible to put on fat storage and they would get slaughtered. I'm a firm believer that the best time to kill bucks isn't Oct, Nov, Dec...it's Jan & Feb when they need your handouts the most up

Exactly! I wouldnt even hunt until mid Dec if I could go into Feb. Also, if I can kill 3 bucks per the regs for my county, I could still slaughter them in Oct, Nov, Dec. In Feb, I would have a better chance at getting 3 mature bucks, instead of 3 immature bucks from the current season. Again, not saying I would or do, but think the extended rifle seasons for MLD is out of touch with what is really taking place on those ranches. If it is biologically ok for those ranches to harvest deer with a rifle from Oct 1 to Feb 28th then it should be ok of the rest of us guys as well.

Last edited by rtp; 01/04/12 03:07 PM.

Let'em grow old
Re: What Changes Would You Make in the Seasons and Deer Bag Limit? [Re: PHishTX] #2897645 01/04/12 03:43 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Well, if it gets overburdened, my neighbors could shoot 'em..... banana

trout Your forgetting those pesky ARs stir grin

Re: What Changes Would You Make in the Seasons and Deer Bag Limit? [Re: stxranchman] #2897811 01/04/12 04:27 PM
P
PHishTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
well we could dump them too,along with mld. banana

confused2TPWDconfused2
Re: What Changes Would You Make in the Seasons and Deer Bag Limit? [Re: PHishTX] #2897862 01/04/12 04:40 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
well we could dump them too,along with mld. banana

up

Re: What Changes Would You Make in the Seasons and Deer Bag Limit? [Re: Curly] #2898190 01/04/12 06:16 PM
M
millerliteliker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
AR's are not a big deal - and they are going to spread to more of the state, mostly because of the drought, but there was a push in the TPWD to do it before the drought.

Automatic spin feeders are for people that are lazy or don't know how to hunt. I promise you, if you will end your addiction to automatic spin feeders you will come across much bigger bucks than you have ever seen on your property. I have no problem with baiting - I just hait spin feeders.

If you guys would ever hunt other areas of the country, you would see what the banning of automatic spin feeders would get you - bigger bucks or at lease exposure to bigger bucks.

I bow hunt and I use corn like crazy - but I use it in transition zones that the deer pass to get to food (and yes, sometimes feeders). Believe me, it works.

Anyway, I would like to see an earlier start to bow season and the elimination of automatic spin feeders. I think it would really move our hunting up another notch.

Mathews Z7 Bow for Whitetail and Hogs
Remington R-15 .223 REM for predators
I also like to "hunt" sporting clays with my Benelli SuperSport!
Re: What Changes Would You Make in the Seasons and Deer Bag Limit? [Re: rtp] #2898204 01/04/12 06:21 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
the reason is statewide age structure, we can't be havinging discussions and age & score threads still in Feb with 3.75, 4.75, etc responses. Bucks are run down after rut and trying to find any way possible to put on fat storage and they would get slaughtered. I'm a firm believer that the best time to kill bucks isn't Oct, Nov, Dec...it's Jan & Feb when they need your handouts the most up

Exactly! I wouldnt even hunt until mid Dec if I could go into Feb. Also, if I can kill 3 bucks per the regs for my county, I could still slaughter them in Oct, Nov, Dec. In Feb, I would have a better chance at getting 3 mature bucks, instead of 3 immature bucks from the current season. Again, not saying I would or do, but think the extended rifle seasons for MLD is out of touch with what is really taking place on those ranches. If it is biologically ok for those ranches to harvest deer with a rifle from Oct 1 to Feb 28th then it should be ok of the rest of us guys as well.

I'd start around Christmas when the young does cycle and bring every mature buck within a 5 mile radius out of hiding. Chances are good they would be broken up like crazy, but never fails I see the bigger bucks after general season ends. If season were even extended a day I'd have a nice 8pt on the wall (before he started his decline) and would have retained more of my sanity.

Re: What Changes Would You Make in the Seasons and Deer Bag Limit? [Re: millerliteliker] #2898205 01/04/12 06:21 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
AR's are not a big deal - and they are going to spread to more of the state, mostly because of the drought, but there was a push in the TPWD to do it before the drought.

Automatic spin feeders are for people that are lazy or don't know how to hunt. I promise you, if you will end your addiction to automatic spin feeders you will come across much bigger bucks than you have ever seen on your property. I have no problem with baiting - I just hait spin feeders.

If you guys would ever hunt other areas of the country, you would see what the banning of automatic spin feeders would get you - bigger bucks or at lease exposure to bigger bucks.

I bow hunt and I use corn like crazy - but I use it in transition zones that the deer pass to get to food (and yes, sometimes feeders). Believe me, it works.

Anyway, I would like to see an earlier start to bow season and the elimination of automatic spin feeders. I think it would really move our hunting up another notch.

If you could ban automatic feeders you would starve a LOT of deer. Most areas of Texas are above their CC for the land and the feeders are the only way to sustain the herd.

Saying that automatic feeders are for people that are lazy or don't know how to hunt is ridiculous. If hand-corning is what you like then do it. Why judge other hunters because they may not use your methods?

Re: What Changes Would You Make in the Seasons and Deer Bag Limit? [Re: millerliteliker] #2898210 01/04/12 06:23 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

what if those feeders are in their bedding areas and you don;t have to get within 250 yds of them to hunt them?

Re: What Changes Would You Make in the Seasons and Deer Bag Limit? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #2898219 01/04/12 06:25 PM
T
TxHunter18 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: wfontjr

This. But my reasoning is reversed:if I shoot a good buck with the bow I would like to be able to keep hunting a good one with the rifle.As you pointed out,I believe the impact on the deer herd would be minimal but this rule would positively effect hunter participation.

But on the whole I am fine with things the way they are in my county.
This is the problem. Everyone wants to shoot bucks and not does theres a reason the bag limit is at least 3 does in most countys. Because everyonee wants horns

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide