Print Thread
Starting Rifle Season Earlier #2896492 01/04/12 03:17 AM
F
Fishenstein Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
F
Would you sign a petition to get our general rifle season started 1-2 weeks earlier?

In another thread I saw where some guys were talking about how the seasons use to be. Some were 2 weeks long, some didn't start til mid November...

How did those get changed to what we now have?

How did South Texas get an extended rifle season to hunt their rut?

I know some people would oppose it because they like bow hunting. But you can continue bowhunting if that is your preference.

Re: Starting Rifle Season Earlier [Re: Fishenstein] #2896580 01/04/12 03:35 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Fishenstein
Would you sign a petition to get our general rifle season started 1-2 weeks earlier?

In another thread I saw where some guys were talking about how the seasons use to be. Some were 2 weeks long, some didn't start til mid November...

How did those get changed to what we now have?

I know some people would oppose it because they like bow hunting. But you can continue bowhunting if that is your preference.

I would not support it state wide to start it earlier. Season dates were brought on by herd densities in those specific counties as well as bag limits.
Changes were brought in over time. Public hearings were held on them due to input/concerns from the public and the public was invited to voice their opinions at these hearings in regions across the state. Just as the commisioners meeting are held in Austin.
South Texas for the most part has always been able to hunt the rut with exception of McMullen County for a time. The rut for the most part starts in early Dec till around Christmas. I personally think season were extended to help the rural economies. I also think that season length were extended a lot in the 70's after the population explosion some counties took place. Bag limits were increased to help with this also. Doe permits were done away with. Populations started to level off in some areas.
I think the problems today with the season will not be addressed till the TPWD is not strapped by the economy. They just do not have the man power to look into adjusting seasons to meet everyone needs as we all would want. In reading some of the threads on changes, ARs, MLD, etc everyone has a plan on what to do that would work for them best, but maybe not for the rest of the county or state. Managing a states wildlife program the size of a state like Texas is a major task. Lots of diverse regions across the state that all need different management. Inside these regions are areas that vary even from that. Just not enough manpower to do what needs to be done today IMO.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Starting Rifle Season Earlier [Re: stxranchman] #2896587 01/04/12 03:36 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
good post stxranchman!

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Starting Rifle Season Earlier [Re: txtrophy85] #2896717 01/04/12 04:11 AM
D
Deer Whisperer Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I WOULD SIGN A APETITION TO START GENERAL SEASON EARLIER IN EAST TEXAS.BUT I THINK YOU WILL FIND OUT THAT THE PEOPLE(OUTFITERS)THAT MAKE THEIR MONEY OFF THE BACK OF DEER HUNTERS WILL FIGHT IT TOOTH AND NAIL.

Re: Starting Rifle Season Earlier [Re: Deer Whisperer] #2896725 01/04/12 04:13 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Deer Whisperer
I WOULD SIGN A APETITION TO START GENERAL SEASON EARLIER IN EAST TEXAS.BUT I THINK YOU WILL FIND OUT THAT THE PEOPLE(OUTFITERS)THAT MAKE THEIR MONEY OFF THE BACK OF DEER HUNTERS WILL FIGHT IT TOOTH AND NAIL.

Why? They would benefit from booking more hunts and more success IMO. Landowners make their money off of lease hunters too, do you think they would be for it or against it?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Starting Rifle Season Earlier [Re: stxranchman] #2896765 01/04/12 04:24 AM
D
Deer Whisperer Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
All I want is someone to tell me why opening the season 2 weeks earlier in E.T. where the average hunter would have the best time to hunt is a bad thing,they extended the season in S.T. for the same reason.Everybody knows deer hunting in texas is driven by money,it's just the nature of the beast.

Re: Starting Rifle Season Earlier [Re: Deer Whisperer] #2897046 01/04/12 10:46 AM
G
GHale Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
I personally would like to see changes made regarding the taking of does. Many counties are limited to either the first 2 weeks of the season or only during the Thanksgiving weekend. If the goal is to balance the buck to doe ratios more, then why not put a season limit on does and let you take them at any time during the season? At the beginning of the season most folks are thinking of bucks and hesitate to take a doe thinking that a buck will be coming out of the woods shortly following her. So they pass on the does early and then end up missing out on the meat that they want/need. In East Texas the bucks only come out in daylight during the rut and then stay away from the feeders. All that I have seen for the last three weeks are does and that is all that has shown up on my cameras during that time as well.

I would vote for taking does any time during the season with the two doe limit unless a county is overrun or has a shortage of does then make that an exception that year.

Re: Starting Rifle Season Earlier [Re: GHale] #2897116 01/04/12 12:36 PM
C
Chief Joe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Do I understand correctly, that season's opening day used to be regulated by local county authorities? If so, what was wrong with that system?

"It is the same boiling water that softens the rice, which hardens the egg." It's not always about the circumstances, but what you are made of....
Re: Starting Rifle Season Earlier [Re: Chief Joe] #2897265 01/04/12 01:55 PM
P
PHishTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
That was before the TPWD "department". The regs were set by the County Commissioners.

There was actually accountability (elections), now it is political appointments.

Originally Posted By: WMI report
"If age structure is deemed to be valuable to management,...What percentage change in age structure or condition does TPWD recognize that it needs to detect in order to trigger a regulatory change?

confused2TPWDconfused2
Re: Starting Rifle Season Earlier [Re: GHale] #2897344 01/04/12 02:26 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: GHale
I personally would like to see changes made regarding the taking of does. Many counties are limited to either the first 2 weeks of the season or only during the Thanksgiving weekend. If the goal is to balance the buck to doe ratios more, then why not put a season limit on does and let you take them at any time during the season? At the beginning of the season most folks are thinking of bucks and hesitate to take a doe thinking that a buck will be coming out of the woods shortly following her. So they pass on the does early and then end up missing out on the meat that they want/need. In East Texas the bucks only come out in daylight during the rut and then stay away from the feeders. All that I have seen for the last three weeks are does and that is all that has shown up on my cameras during that time as well.

I would vote for taking does any time during the season with the two doe limit unless a county is overrun or has a shortage of does then make that an exception that year.

I agree 100%.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Starting Rifle Season Earlier [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #2898636 01/04/12 08:50 PM
W
WEBBYODER Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
I'm sure I don't see the whole picture, but It seems that It shouldn't really matter when the season opens or closes. If the bag limit for a county is 5 deer, or 4 deer, why does it matter when they are killed?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Re: Starting Rifle Season Earlier [Re: WEBBYODER] #2899132 01/04/12 11:21 PM
S
Smoke Checkem Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
From the data I have on my lease that goes back 24 yrs most of our bucks are taken from Nov 7 through 17.Most of the largest bucks taken are harvested Dec. 6-16.This data includes the month of October.We are MLD and have been sence 2002. Just our facts.

If it's not overkill then it's underachievement.
Re: Starting Rifle Season Earlier [Re: Smoke Checkem] #2899770 01/05/12 02:01 AM
T
TxTechsan Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I think they should implement a rule on how wide a bucks antlers have to be before it can be shot and start it in East Tx bolt

Re: Starting Rifle Season Earlier [Re: TxTechsan] #2899790 01/05/12 02:05 AM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Originally Posted By: TxTechsan
I think they should implement a rule on how wide a bucks antlers have to be before it can be shot and start it in East Tx bolt

We have a comodian in the house! grin

Re: Starting Rifle Season Earlier [Re: Fishenstein] #2899794 01/05/12 02:06 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Fishenstein
?

not that long ago, our general season started two weeks later.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Starting Rifle Season Earlier [Re: Curly] #2899838 01/05/12 02:14 AM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
They should make it legal for every East Texas deer hunter to be able to take one doe throughout the season. Not just during Thanksgiving weekend. That way folks like me, won't resort to shooting a young spike for meat during the latter part of the season if they don't see a legal buck all year or a doe during the doe weekend. What could that hurt?

Re: Starting Rifle Season Earlier [Re: Curly] #2902792 01/05/12 11:05 PM
S
Smoke Checkem Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Go MLD and you can start hunting at any time from Obtober 1 through February.

If it's not overkill then it's underachievement.
Re: Starting Rifle Season Earlier [Re: Deer Whisperer] #2903784 01/06/12 03:54 AM
E
ETXbuckman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: Deer Whisperer
All I want is someone to tell me why opening the season 2 weeks earlier in E.T. where the average hunter would have the best time to hunt is a bad thing,they extended the season in S.T. for the same reason.Everybody knows
deer hunting in texas is driven by money,it's just the nature of the beast.

^^^This^^^

Re: Starting Rifle Season Earlier [Re: Smoke Checkem] #2903787 01/06/12 03:55 AM
E
ETXbuckman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: Smoke Checkem
Go MLD and you can start hunting at any time from Obtober 1 through February.

If you're on leve 2 orl 3, yes, but it takes time to get there.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide