Print Thread
Ducks diving after being wounded #2854064 12/20/11 03:03 AM
J
Just lungin' around Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
I've only been duck hunting a few years and witnessed something last week I never would have believed. I was hunting a small creek, maybe 30 yards across, when I shot a Gadwall which landed in the water wounded. My lab went to retrieve it and as soon as he got to within jaw range the duck did a Houdini act on him and dove beneath the surface. My lab circled in the water for a full minute before finally heading back to shore. I had the whole episode on video and replayed it with my buddy in the blind. A full 15 minutes later the Gadwall popped up 20 yards away on our side of the shore and my lab was able to retrieve it after a quick chase. The creek is relatively bare of any visible surface cover so there is no way that duck was above the surface during that 15 min. Has anyone experienced this before?

Thank you dear Lord for equipping me with incisors.
Re: Ducks diving after being wounded [Re: Just lungin' around] #2854079 12/20/11 03:07 AM
F
Featherduster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Theres more to ducks than you think. They fool us easily

Re: Ducks diving after being wounded [Re: Featherduster] #2854100 12/20/11 03:13 AM
A
agsellers04 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
That's normal for wounded ducks to dive. I've seen it lots of times. Sometimes they don't come up.

Re: Ducks diving after being wounded [Re: Featherduster] #2854108 12/20/11 03:15 AM
T
Texsun Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Who can tell us more about this? I've seen it and was told several versions from grabbing on to underwater vegetation with their bills to suicide to sneaking out. What exactly are they doing?

Sig Sauer P229 Elite, P226 Elite, SP2022
S&W Model 3
Win. Model 70's: 220 Swift, 270, 30.06, 300 Win Mag, 375 H&H
Savage Model 99 250-3000
Colt 6920
Ruger 10-22
Swedish and Chilean Mausers
Browning Citori White Lightning
Re: Ducks diving after being wounded [Re: agsellers04] #2854113 12/20/11 03:16 AM
J
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
It's not the diving that surprised me, it was the length of time (a legit 15 min) it had to have been underwater. I would never have believed that's possible.

Re: Ducks diving after being wounded [Re: Texsun] #2854119 12/20/11 03:17 AM
J
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
And Texsun, the creek I'm hunting is relatively free of anything for a duck to grab onto. Rocks and silt for the most part.

Re: Ducks diving after being wounded [Re: Texsun] #2854426 12/20/11 04:58 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: Texsun
What exactly are they doing?

Trying to survive.

I've seen them do all kinds of stuff. You'd be amazed at what they can do. We had a Bluebill the other day hat was the most skittish we'd ever come across. Wouldn't let the dog get anywhere even close to it. After awhile I would just send the dog to make the bird dive, then immediately stop her and cut off the duck whichever way I thought he would head.

I like when the dogs go under and bring them back up. grin

[Linked Image]

Re: Ducks diving after being wounded [Re: Fooshman] #2854483 12/20/11 05:23 AM
C
chilled shot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
You'd be surprised how easy they can surface with only their bill to get a quick bit of air, only to go back under with just the smallest ripple, especially if they know they're being persued.

Wait till you see one "snake" away from you with only their eyes and bill above the surface. Makes it extremely hard to get a water swat on em to finish the deed, since the dog usually can't see this at all from their lower point of view.

Last edited by chilled shot; 12/20/11 05:24 AM.
Re: Ducks diving after being wounded [Re: chilled shot] #2854499 12/20/11 05:34 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: chilled shot
You'd be surprised how easy they can surface with only their bill to get a quick bit of air, only to go back under with just the smallest ripple, especially if they know they're being persued.

Wait till you see one "snake" away from you with only their eyes and bill above the surface. Makes it extremely hard to get a water swat on em to finish the deed, since the dog usually can't see this at all from their lower point of view.

OK, THAT I've not seen, but I can imagine... The diving, yeah, I wonder just how long they can stay down cuz I know I don't see 'em come up for air. And if Kindall posts on here, there are strict orders to NOT bring up the greenhead story!!!!!

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Ducks diving after being wounded [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2854528 12/20/11 05:44 AM
C
chilled shot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Inquiring minds want to know!

Re: Ducks diving after being wounded [Re: chilled shot] #2854580 12/20/11 06:52 AM
S
Sooner N TX Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Had a widgeon drake continually dive on me. I am my own dog and after chasing from shore to shore and back again, I was not happy. It would dive, swim about 10 yds, and surface for about 1/2 a second. No time to get a shot. It would move in a zig-zag pattern, so I could push it towards shore, and luckily a found a spot that never gets more than 3 ft. deep. When it got to the other side, it found some brush and got me turned around. Ended up pushing him the way back to the other shore and caught him when he tried to hide in a foot of water. Not fun reaching in freezing water up to your elbow to try and catch a swimming duck.

Re: Ducks diving after being wounded [Re: Sooner N TX] #2854604 12/20/11 08:20 AM
L
lakesteak123 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Ducks are like marathon runners!! Heck they fly hundreds of miles sometimes without ever landing!! I saw on tv where canvasbacks can dive down 30+ feet to eat muscles off the bottom of a lake! They can hold their breath for a very very long time!! They will grab onto the smallest stick or weed and hold themselves underwater till they die or pass out and float to the surface only to dive back down again!! I would like to see the video!

Re: Ducks diving after being wounded [Re: lakesteak123] #2854785 12/20/11 01:45 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I have never believed they would go under, bite a reed and die still clinching the reed never to be seen again. BS. Now what does happen is they can swim down into moss, reed ect and die and the reeds stop them from floating to the top. That happened to me a week ago.

15 minutes under water I don't believe. What is more probable is he poked only his snoot up and got air while he was hiding from you or the dog. They are extremely crafty that way. He was trying to make an exit and you wound up seeing him 15 minutes later.

Re: Ducks diving after being wounded [Re: wal1809] #2854822 12/20/11 02:01 PM
A
army_chad Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
few weeks ago i shot a pintail hen that landed in the hydrilla. she dove when i tried to pick her up. after 5min i assumed she swam away and resurfaced with the coots never to be seen aagain. just as i was heading back to the blind i saw a tiny spot of hydrilla sticking up about a half inch. i tried to gab her but she was too quick. we played cat and mouse a few times before i got fed up. 3in 4shot at 15ft scalped her when she tried the snorkle trick one last time.

Re: Ducks diving after being wounded [Re: wal1809] #2854839 12/20/11 02:06 PM
K
kindall Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: WAL1809

15 minutes under water I don't believe. What is more probable is he poked only his snoot up and got air while he was hiding from you or the dog. They are extremely crafty that way. He was trying to make an exit and you wound up seeing him 15 minutes later.

I would have called BS on it too, but I have seen one stay down twice as long and still be alive. No way this duck snuck up for air. I'm not at liberty to tell the rest of the story.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Ducks diving after being wounded [Re: army_chad] #2854868 12/20/11 02:13 PM
J
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
"Snorkel trick?" I have a new found respect for the craftiness of wounded ducks. Believe me, as close as we were to where he dove (30 yards) and as non-existent as the cover was on the water, if the duck I'm speaking of would have gotten anything but it's beak out of the water in the 15 min after he dove we would have seen him.

Re: Ducks diving after being wounded [Re: kindall] #2855230 12/20/11 04:13 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: kindall

I would have called BS on it too, but I have seen one stay down twice as long and still be alive. No way this duck snuck up for air. I'm not at liberty to tell the rest of the story.

rofl Dadgum greenhead!!!!

Re: Ducks diving after being wounded [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2855341 12/20/11 04:49 PM
J
Jase Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

I heard the story. I wish there was video of that one!! roflroflroflroflroflroflroflroflrofl

Jason
Re: Ducks diving after being wounded [Re: Jase] #2856560 12/20/11 11:59 PM
D
DWADR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I had a bird dive under the ice one time and the thing swam around like a penguin for 30 minutes until it finally died. the water was too deep to break the ice and try and get the bird.

[Linked Image]
Deep Water Decoy Retriever
Re: Ducks diving after being wounded [Re: Jase] #2856972 12/21/11 02:06 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Jase
Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

I heard the story. I wish there was video of that one!! roflroflroflroflroflroflroflroflrofl

Well, all I can say is, I know they can stay under water long enough for my hand to freeze and go numb and still not 'drown.' We lost track of time several times over, but we know one stretch he was under for a full 30 minutes! bang

Re: Ducks diving after being wounded [Re: chilled shot] #2857118 12/21/11 02:48 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Oh, that is exactly what they do. I will not even send my dog on a bird that can dive, it must be wounded enough where it cannot dive, otherwise it is useless sending your dog they can spend hours out there chasing a diving bird.

Here is what you do, wounded bird on water, just watch the bird, it will head to shore, go about 5 feet and just sit there. Wait awhile, say 10 minutes or even longer (bird will sit there all morning), then send your dog, bird will not move after being on shore and your dog will pick it right up.

If you send your dog after a wounded bird, and bird dives, call dog off, then watch for bird, they will not stay under long, maybe a minute max, you will see them come up and “snake away” as said above. With no wind and water is glass you will see a small wake where duck is swimming off, looks like a snake swimming because body is under water just the bill/eyes above water. If there is wind and ripples in the water, very hard to see bird swimming off, but they are not committing suicide, lol. I have seen all this (what I posted here) countless times. up

Re: Ducks diving after being wounded [Re: Guy] #2857241 12/21/11 03:19 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
What is more probable is he poked only his snoot up and got air while he was hiding from you or the dog

That is exactly what happened.

It happened to me with a diver this week on a very,very small clean pond,

I did not see him, i bet he poked the tip of his snoot up.

I dont believe in the grabbing vegetation and commit suicide, thats a myth.

I will only believe it the day a duck tells me so

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: Ducks diving after being wounded [Re: Guy] #2857266 12/21/11 03:30 AM
T
Texsun Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Guy

Oh, that is exactly what they do. I will not even send my dog on a bird that can dive, it must be wounded enough where it cannot dive, otherwise it is useless sending your dog they can spend hours out there chasing a diving bird.

Here is what you do, wounded bird on water, just watch the bird, it will head to shore, go about 5 feet and just sit there. Wait awhile, say 10 minutes or even longer (bird will sit there all morning), then send your dog, bird will not move after being on shore and your dog will pick it right up.

If you send your dog after a wounded bird, and bird dives, call dog off, then watch for bird, they will not stay under long, maybe a minute max, you will see them come up and “snake away” as said above. With no wind and water is glass you will see a small wake where duck is swimming off, looks like a snake swimming because body is under water just the bill/eyes above water. If there is wind and ripples in the water, very hard to see bird swimming off, but they are not committing suicide, lol. I have seen all this (what I posted here) countless times. up

Great post Guy.

Sig Sauer P229 Elite, P226 Elite, SP2022
S&W Model 3
Win. Model 70's: 220 Swift, 270, 30.06, 300 Win Mag, 375 H&H
Savage Model 99 250-3000
Colt 6920
Ruger 10-22
Swedish and Chilean Mausers
Browning Citori White Lightning
Re: Ducks diving after being wounded [Re: Texsun] #2857958 12/21/11 02:08 PM
B
BuckMasterTX Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Ive seen it before

Re: Ducks diving after being wounded [Re: BuckMasterTX] #2858330 12/21/11 03:49 PM
D
Ducky-Style Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I spent a few good minutes one day chasing a wounded blue bill. The thing drove my dog nuts that he couldn't catch him. The good thing was that the water was low so I saw his every move. He would come up for air at a close range and I didn't want to blow his head off, so I wait for him to come up at a good distance for me to make the kill shot.

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide