Print Thread
Page 7 of 59 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 58 59
Re: High Fences...Whats your opinion? [Re: HWY_MAN] #2843832 12/16/11 01:24 PM
W
wisco-hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Hornedfrog makes the most sense, to each his own, but the trophy book should make a distinction between a high fenced kill and a free ranged kill.

Why is it that every time I push #1 for english, I cannot understand the person on the other end???
Re: High Fences...Whats your opinion? [Re: HWY_MAN] #2843842 12/16/11 01:30 PM
J
joedav31 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Well here are the issues I have encountered.... I high fenced my wife, she in fact did grow a bigger rack.. The problem is all of my neighbors that were opposed to the idea seem to hang around the gate a lot more than they used too. I'm afraid she will be poached so I ride the perimeter of the fence everyday to make sure there are no holes in it. The problem is when I realized she was finally mature enough to mount she asked if I could go buy a breeder buck with better genetics so our herd could grow stronger! Beware what you wish for gentleman.

Re: High Fences...Whats your opinion? [Re: joedav31] #2843865 12/16/11 01:42 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: joedav31
Well here are the issues I have encountered.... I high fenced my wife, she in fact did grow a bigger rack.. The problem is all of my neighbors that were opposed to the idea seem to hang around the gate a lot more than they used too. I'm afraid she will be poached so I ride the perimeter of the fence everyday to make sure there are no holes in it. The problem is when I realized she was finally mature enough to mount she asked if I could go buy a breeder buck with better genetics so our herd could grow stronger! Beware what you wish for gentleman.

rofl Damn thats funny!

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: High Fences...Whats your opinion? [Re: wisco-hunter] #2843869 12/16/11 01:42 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: wisco-hunter
Hornedfrog makes the most sense, to each his own, but the trophy book should make a distinction between a high fenced kill and a free ranged kill.

I believe it already does.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: High Fences...Whats your opinion? [Re: joedav31] #2843870 12/16/11 01:42 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: joedav31

I'd DNA the kids then cause the feed delivery man might just not be only a "feed delivery man". peep

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: High Fences...Whats your opinion? [Re: deerfeeder] #2843985 12/16/11 02:21 PM
6InARowMakeItGo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: deerfeeder
Gut instinct or emotion makes me against them (high fences), but, on the other hand if the place is large enough I can definitely see logical, rational reasons for having them. And before anyone asks, imo, I think 5,000 acres is fair chase, 50 acres is a feed pen.

🍻
Re: High Fences...Whats your opinion? [Re: jmc82] #2844005 12/16/11 02:28 PM
O
Otto Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
Originally Posted By: jmc82
HIgh fence hunting is like bragging about banging a hot hooker at the moonlight bunny ranch. You get no credibility from it and look like a pathetic loser.

IMHO Best analogy so far

Re: High Fences...Whats your opinion? [Re: jmc82] #2844092 12/16/11 02:58 PM
D
DallasShootingSupplies Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
HIgh fence hunting is like bragging about banging a hot hooker at the moonlight bunny ranch. You get no credibility from it and look like a pathetic loser.

eek2 clap

My father in law had a client invite him on a fancy high fence hunt once. Said they rode around in a African safari type jeep thing and the guides knew what all was there and what area they would be in. Said they shot from the jeepish thing and the ranch even cleaned the game for him. That was the last time he ever did one of these. Said it felt like they were shooting pets, since the ranch guys knew what animals were there and when they would be in certain areas.

I am more proud of the smaller bucks I get at my place, than I would be of a monster I got at a place like this.

The last two years I have gotten a buck I have never seen before, and never seen on camera. Thats what I like about non fenced hunting, I never know what I might see. And after I get one its very rewarding. I may go all year and not see a legal buck, but when I do it makes up for it.

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
50k+ barrels done. Zero Baffle Strikes
www.facebook.com/barrelthreading
www.instagram.com/class_3_machining/
Recommended by Silencerco, Capitol Armory, Hansohn Brothers, Gemtech, Ally Outfitters, The Firearm Blog etc
Re: High Fences...Whats your opinion? [Re: Otto] #2844097 12/16/11 02:59 PM
I
Insight Hunting Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I
Originally Posted By: Otto

IMHO Best analogy so far

Yes and no. That analogy would have the LF guys bragging about a cheaper, lesser quality hooker they found because she was on a street corner and not in a brothel.

Michael Mitchell - Insight Hunting
830-459-5769
http://www.insighthunting.com
Re: High Fences...Whats your opinion? [Re: Otto] #2844098 12/16/11 02:59 PM
D
Don Dial Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
My hunting Bud and I cull shoot a place that's 3 sections...less
than 2000 acres..It is surrounded by high fences, now all new..
The charge to shoot a cull buck at around $3000...up to 150..
over that it's really getting more expensive..If you kill a good
buck on this place..their was a 26 point that scored 215 two yrs..ago..It doesn't qualify for Boone and Cockett..Not that they
are any less hard to get..At one time, it had a low fence going into one of the neighbors pastures..which is over 5,000 acres, and it qualified, plus got a more diverse genetic makeup in the
deer herd...But they still look good on the wall, and they are not in a feed pen...DD

Re: High Fences...Whats your opinion? [Re: Insight Hunting] #2844112 12/16/11 03:02 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Insight Hunting
Originally Posted By: Otto

IMHO Best analogy so far

Yes and no. That analogy would have the LF guys bragging about a cheaper, lesser quality hooker they found because she was on a street corner and not in a brothel.

roflmao

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: High Fences...Whats your opinion? [Re: Don Dial] #2844115 12/16/11 03:02 PM
K
kyle1974 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Oh my goodness.... the guides knew where the deer would be? that's like a fishing guide taking you to a spot because there are fish there.... it's almost like they are "guiding" the hunter to a deer. That is awful.

Re: High Fences...Whats your opinion? [Re: kyle1974] #2844130 12/16/11 03:06 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: kyle1974
Oh my goodness.... the guides knew where the deer would be? that's like a fishing guide taking you to a spot because there are fish there.... it's almost like they are "guiding" the hunter to a deer. That is awful.

That doesn't happen on low fenced places? Go sit in a blind and look over a feeder....because that is where the deer are going to be. You all know, most leases have a "better" blind than others. You just hope yours is the better one.

If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: High Fences...Whats your opinion? [Re: Tye] #2844155 12/16/11 03:14 PM
D
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D

I do hunt over a feeder, but have never shot a good buck ever at my feeder. I have always got them while they are passing through my area. In my area, the only time I have ever gotten a pic of a big buck at my feeder was at night.

Originally Posted By: Tye

That doesn't happen on low fenced places? Go sit in a blind and look over a feeder....because that is where the deer are going to be. You all know, most leases have a "better" blind than others. You just hope yours is the better one.

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
Recommended by Silencerco, Capitol Armory, Hansohn Brothers, Gemtech, Ally Outfitters, The Firearm Blog etc
Re: High Fences...Whats your opinion? [Re: Tye] #2844159 12/16/11 03:15 PM
M
meathunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
No problem with it at all. If I had the money I would high fence our place. I took my son to shoot an elk cow on a 240 acres High fence ranch. I did not think it would be hard to find a group of animals that size on a place this size. We had to shot opportunities in two days. The first one my son was not comfortable with the shot and passed on the shot. The second was uphill through some thick brush. He busted her under the chin. I was surprised he took the shot. He was only 10. Anyways, a fence does not make it any easier to find them. On the other side I was on a place down by Dilley, about 300 acres that was High fenced and when the feeder went off there was a ton of deer within minutes, but I have seen this on low fence also. You can get open range deer used to people and they will be an easy hunt. When I was growing up We did not have feeders, everyday I would get up and take a folgers can of corn and put it put by my blind. By the time deer season rolled around I would still be putting corn out with deer eating in the road. I was in plain sight and walking so it was not like they did not know I was there. Anyways, It is all in the eye of the beholder. High fence, low fence can both be tough and they can both be an easy hunt.

Living Day by Day.
Re: High Fences...Whats your opinion? [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #2844169 12/16/11 03:18 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: DallasShootingSupplies

I do hunt over a feeder, but have never shot a good buck ever at my feeder. I have always got them while they are passing through my area. In my area, the only time I have ever gotten a pic of a big buck at my feeder was at night.

Have you ever killed one of the good bucks you have had on camera?

Re: High Fences...Whats your opinion? [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #2844191 12/16/11 03:23 PM
D
Dustnsand Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

OMG!! You knew what area the good bucks were going to be crossing through and killed them there. How horrible!

Re: High Fences...Whats your opinion? [Re: Tye] #2844202 12/16/11 03:25 PM
D
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D

No sir. Only young ones show up at my feeder during the day. I have some impressive pics of bucks, but are all at night.

Have you ever killed one of the good bucks you have had on camera?

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
Re: High Fences...Whats your opinion? [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #2844237 12/16/11 03:35 PM
D
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
These are the two best bucks taken at my place and neither were ever on camera.

Mine:

My buddy and his

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
Re: High Fences...Whats your opinion? [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #2844348 12/16/11 04:07 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I never see any good bucks at my feeders, they always want to cross way away from the stands.

Re: High Fences...Whats your opinion? [Re: rifleman] #2844408 12/16/11 04:25 PM
L
Leonardo Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
In all honesty I could care less. Just be up front about where the deer came from.

What I hate about this thread is all the D&^%heads that have been here forever gripe about a thread because it has been a topic in the past. Yes this forum has a search function but just maybe the new guy wants to create a discussion to allow themselves involvement. If you don't like it just skip it.

Re: High Fences...Whats your opinion? [Re: Leonardo] #2844425 12/16/11 04:33 PM
N
Nightlight Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Will a HF keep he mountain lions out???

Re: High Fences...Whats your opinion? [Re: Nightlight] #2844428 12/16/11 04:35 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Nightlight
Will a HF keep he mountain lions out???

No, but it will keep black panthers out and that is why they are on the decline. stir

Re: High Fences...Whats your opinion? [Re: Leonardo] #2844431 12/16/11 04:36 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
So hard to kill a deer on low fence bang

What you don't see is there is a mature 8 to the left down wind 175 yards with his nose up trying to scent check does.. must a been a hot one cause he stayed in the thick stuff until does left...

Made ground blind in a transition area 200 yards away and hand tossed corn...guess who came out with the does the next day

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: High Fences...Whats your opinion? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #2844440 12/16/11 04:39 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
So hard to kill a deer on low fence bang

What you don't see is there is a mature 8 to the left down wind 175 yards with his nose up trying to scent check does.. must a been a hot one cause he stayed in the thick stuff until does left...

Made ground blind in a transition area 200 yards away and hand tossed corn...guess who came out with the does the next day

scaredDang BOBO you hunting from the Hemisfair Tower in San Antonio? I would say it was a bit dry there this year also. crying

Page 7 of 59 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 58 59
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide