Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Day Hunt gone Bad and Good [Re: Crazyhorse] #283801 12/26/07 08:30 PM
C
CTK3 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
consider....

you are a guied/land owner and you let someone hunt at a low cost....a low fenced hunt. they dont see anything, so they get mad and take some expensive eqipment out of anger.

what would you do? how would you feel?

i may be one of few, but i understand that when hunting a low fence area im aware that even still my chances of getting an animal are not 100 percent, even if the guied is fred bear himself.

i dont blame anyone for being angry about a situation such as your friend, but i think he probably realizes he made a mistake.

Last edited by cliffy_t; 12/26/07 08:31 PM.
Re: Day Hunt gone Bad and Good [Re: CTK3] #283802 12/26/07 10:43 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I just want to know what he needed the feeders for. He obviously doesn't have a lease or he wouldn't have been day leasing. So he gained what, two pieces of metal to store in his back yard?

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Day Hunt gone Bad and Good [Re: Crazyhorse] #283803 12/26/07 10:57 PM
S
spanky Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Quote:

Your making a damn big assumption that the landowner was even involved.

Over the past 20 years or so, many a hunter has lost the money they paid out for a hunt, when the real landowner showed up and had no knowledge of what was going on.

You buddy spoke to someone and gave them money. Did he know for sure that the guy he was talking to was in the position to lease out that land?

I saw this post early this morning, and I started to respond, but I thought I had better think it thru before my response.

In a nutshell, I agree 2 wrongs don't make a right, your friend stooped to the other persons level, which in my opinion is never good, and I may add broke the law as everyone has said.

I knew a guy that leased a season deer lease several years ago, paid cash for it, and got a reciept for the lease. Couple of weeks later they are putting up stands and feeders and a pick up drives up and says, Your Tresspassing get off my land or I'll call the sheriff. Guy pulls out the reciept and shows where he paid for the right to hunt. Landowner looks at him like he's crazy and said I don't know the feller and your still tresspassing, get off now. Long story short they loaded up everything and till this day cannot find the SOB that leased the land to them. They called the GW and he said this happens more times than not, locals find a place where the landowner comes down a couple of times a month, or on weekends and protrays the property as theirs.

The morale of the story is, did your friend ask for refrences, if he did, did he bother to check them out. Did he happen to get a reciept, or anything showing the owner of the land, or leasing agent. Not trying to be a smart arse, but sounds like he might have neglected to do some homework, and this has cost him some, even more if some one reports their property stolen. JMHO

Re: Day Hunt gone Bad and Good [Re: spanky] #283804 12/26/07 11:44 PM
H
highlonesome1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Another reason for the practicality of packaged hunts. I would never just tell someonme to go out to our place and hunt. I make myself available at all times for our clients. If they cannot find the deer I will do everything in my pwer to ensure a successfull hunt. I personally check all feeders before the hunt look for new trails and rubs etc..
If you hunt with us you pay before the first shot fired.

The whole thing on this thread and the other one seems to be negligence on the part of the landowner / lessor and street justice on the part of the leasee. If someone has a problem with my operation or feel slighted they can deal with me personally. the point being I wll always be available to help or resolve whatever issue might come up.

Re: Day Hunt gone Bad and Good [Re: spanky] #283805 12/26/07 11:46 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Are the feeders listed in the Classifieds yet?

Just kidding. Way out of line for him to take anything that wasn't his with him when he left...Hope he gets it worked out ASAP.

Re: Day Hunt gone Bad and Good [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #283806 12/27/07 12:47 AM
B
Bucklessbob77 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I'd dump a can of roofing nails out on the road out. Be sure and spread them out...that way his spare goes flat too.

Re: Day Hunt gone Bad and Good [Re: Bucklessbob77] #283807 12/27/07 12:48 AM
S
spanky Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Right, that will get your money back...........

Re: Day Hunt gone Bad and Good [Re: spanky] #283808 12/27/07 01:21 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I've heard of this scam happening several times over the years and I myself almost got stung once.

We even went out and looked over the property, and drove all over the ranch.

We didn't feel right because the guy was supposed to meet with us, but instead told us to go and look the place over and he'd get back in touch to make the arrangements if we decided we wanted the lease.

There were blinds already in place, feeders, and the ranch house looked like it was still being used with vehicles still parked in the sheds, and sign that recent activity had taken place.

We got out of there fast and called the law, and reported it, and the deputy told us the guy was being watched, and they were after him for similar incidents, wanted to know if we had made contact, or paid anything, which we hadn't, and took our report.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Day Hunt gone Bad and Good [Re: Jimbo] #283809 12/27/07 01:46 AM
M
MaggieMTx Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
yup everyone else pretty much hit the nail on the head w/ the "2 wrongs dont make a right"
if ur buddie wouldnt have NOT taken the feeders & went another way of trying to fix that "wrong" then it would be a diffrent story BUT when he took the feeders & then it get posted here the "wrong" was taken off the guy who set the hunt up & the "wrong" put solely on ur buddie now..he should have thought it thru before taking

Re: Day Hunt gone Bad and Good [Re: MaggieMTx] #283810 12/27/07 11:35 AM
T
texas8point Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
I agree, the 2 wrongs don't make a right. I don't care what anyone says about the 3rd party sneeking in for land lease scam.........I personally think the dude is running a bum day lease. I agree my buddy shouldn't have stooped to the landowners level and got him for the 2 feeders.........which by the way are now for sale (cheap) !
Just kidding. I think he took the feeders in hopes the guy would call him back. The landowner never met him on sunday as planned. Its not about the guy going out and not seeing any deer, its about the entire hunt/operation being misrepresented. I do like the nail idea, again just kidding.......I haven't seen the feeders but from the scam that was run I doubt they are the galvanized all seasons feeders i dream of.......
I respect all of your opinions and appreciate the feedback, after all this is what makes the forum a successful helpful tool.

Re: Day Hunt gone Bad and Good [Re: texas8point] #283811 12/27/07 12:18 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Stolen honor ends in charges:
A special operations game warden received information concerning three subjects discussing their ability to obtain free active military super combo licenses, even though they were not active military. The three discussed their misdeeds on an internet chat room on a hunting based Web site. They told other hunters how easy it was to obtain the free license and that they had been checked many times by game wardens and never caught. Information was gathered on the ringleader regarding where he worked, lived, hunted, and what he killed. The information obtained was passed on to another game warden who was more than willing to visit with the talkative Web chatter. She caught the subject while hunting and filed on him for hunting with an invalid license. Additionally, the game warden was able to seize last year’s buck from the subject and file restitution charges because he had bragged about shooting the deer on public land and getting checked but not caught. Investigation continues into additional subjects.

I guess you missed this post over in open hunting discussion. You haven't done your friend any favors by posting this on an open forum.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Day Hunt gone Bad and Good [Re: HWY_MAN] #283812 12/27/07 01:14 PM
T
texas8point Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
As for any game wardens reading.......this is all chatter......or my buddy moved to Canada and is now running an Onterio day lease operation ! Ha ! now thats funny.

Re: Day Hunt gone Bad and Good [Re: texas8point] #283813 12/27/07 02:16 PM
D
DCS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Your Buddy got ticked off and is now holding the feeders as "collateral" so to speak so that he can get his money refunded. I can see how he would get ticked off. But, really I think your buddy learned one of those little lessons that life can throw at you. Your buddy, agreed to hunt the place as is. He should have went down to personally check out the place before any money changed hands. It's been my experience on some of these day hunts, the feeder won't get but one bag of corn in it the day before and then the cows eat that up. Deer hunting is hunting and not killing. The landowner is not going to promise a kill on something like this. It doesn't sound like this guy was even the one that owned the land. So, you buddy may have stolen someone's feeders who is totaly innocent. Besides, that he only paid for half the hunt anyway. He should have just chalked that little episode up to a learning lesson and move on.

He really needs to get those feeders back also or he may be learning another lesson by a judge!!

Last edited by DCS; 12/27/07 02:18 PM.
Re: Day Hunt gone Bad and Good [Re: DCS] #283814 12/27/07 03:13 PM
S
SteveO Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
everybody calm down. sheesh...

Re: Day Hunt gone Bad and Good [Re: SteveO] #283815 12/27/07 03:20 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Quote:

Lets take something from SteveO and see how he might feel.

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: Day Hunt gone Bad and Good [Re: Tye] #283816 12/27/07 03:27 PM
S
SteveO Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Quote:

Quote:

<shrugs> was it your stuff that he "stole" from? sounds like he was awaiting payback and is holding the feeders as ransom if he thinks he got scammed, maybe a trip back to the ranch to drop the feeders off would be a good idea...

how is anybody gonna find out who it is anyhow?

Re: Day Hunt gone Bad and Good [Re: SteveO] #283817 12/27/07 03:42 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

<shrugs> was it your stuff that he "stole" from? sounds like he was awaiting payback and is holding the feeders as ransom if he thinks he got scammed, maybe a trip back to the ranch to drop the feeders off would be a good idea...

how is anybody gonna find out who it is anyhow?

Are you for real He took someones feeders off a ranch that he only paid 1/2 the money for and he ended up not killing anything. There are no guarantees in hunting unless you hunt at SteveO's zoo in San Antonio.

It was never stated what the guy paid and what should be expected for the accomidations/blinds etc. The OP stated that the landowner was filling feeders and seeing alot of deer. I hate to say it, but deer haven't been hitting feeders anyway this year...so it's a mute point. Maybe the guy that paid for the hunt should have "hunted" the deer instead of looking at a feeder that had been empty.

Just because the guy went home empty handed doesn't give him the right to take someones property.

To the OP, what did you/your buddy pay for the day lease? I bet he only paid a couple hunderd bucks which is still cheap to gain access to someones place for 3 days.

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: Day Hunt gone Bad and Good [Re: Tye] #283818 12/27/07 03:48 PM
S
SteveO Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Quote:

Are you for real He took someones feeders off a ranch that he only paid 1/2 the money for and he ended up not killing anything. There are no guarantees in hunting unless you hunt at SteveO's zoo in San Antonio.

indeed... kerryawn...........

Re: Day Hunt gone Bad and Good [Re: SteveO] #283819 12/27/07 05:25 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
The fact that the so-called landowner did not show up to collect the remaining monies, makes me think that he was not the landowner. I can't see why he would intentionally leave the feeders empty and then have to deal with a pissed off client. I bet this was somebody scamming both your buddy and the real landowner. In any case, theft is never the answer.

Re: Day Hunt gone Bad and Good [Re: Crazyhorse] #283820 12/27/07 08:49 PM
Mr. Clean Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Stupid is as Stupid does ...if those feeders did not belong to him then he should have never taken them. I was all Rah, Rah, for your buddy up until he "stole" the feeders.

Re: Day Hunt gone Bad and Good [Re: Mr. Clean] #283821 12/28/07 12:13 AM
M
MaggieMTx Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
well the way this guy is joking about his "buddie" taking the feeders are starting to make me think this was just put up to "stir the pot" some on here

Re: Day Hunt gone Bad and Good [Re: Crazyhorse] #283822 12/28/07 02:57 AM
J
jp Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
not a good idea. also if no one has been in the cabin forever and the feeders were empty in the middle of season this might have been just great hunting. I would have made the best of it it might have turned out good. Thats like going out to eat and the food was no good then going honey grab the chairs and ill get the table were taking something ill teach them. All you can do is not go back and tell everyone you know to spread the word. This would be one pro to outfitters being checked by the state

Re: Day Hunt gone Bad and Good [Re: jp] #283823 12/28/07 03:26 AM
B
Bucklessbob77 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Quote:

also if no one has been in the cabin forever and the feeders were empty in the middle of season this might have been just great hunting.

Uhh...3 days and didn't see a deer or a track? Now, I understand nothing is guaranteed in hunting. But IF I gave money to somebody to hunt and didn't even SEE a deer...I've been screwed. Which, naturally results in YOU being screwed. Feeders ..of course. Was there any copper pipe in the shack? How 'bout aluminum cans out back? Was the fence decent?...any good posts? How about gates? Could you cut down some trees for firewood? Take a dump in the middle of the living room?...a real man would....and then put a rug over it so they wouldn't notice for a while. Window air conditioner? Any decent furniture or dishes? Was the mattress too bad for your dog to use? When I left that place my bumper hitch would be dragging the ground.

Re: Day Hunt gone Bad and Good [Re: Bucklessbob77] #283824 12/28/07 03:50 AM
J
jp Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Nebraska that might work there but in texas not so much you touch a fence you piss off more than one land owner. It is hard to find a place out in the country around san antonio that dosnt hold deer sometimes if they aint eating corn ya got to find them but here in texas you steal your trash. Steal copper sounds like a druggie to me. aint tryin to be rude but i dont put up with anyone who takes something thats not theres

Re: Day Hunt gone Bad and Good [Re: jp] #283825 12/28/07 11:45 AM
T
texas8point Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Well, I can see the topic did stir the pot, unintentional I promise. I'm happy my post might set some kinda board record, but I really didnt expect much when I posted it. Hell as excited as I was about the buck I shot, I didnt get near the attention from that.
So Im guess yall think he shoulda left the feeders alone ? Ha !
Im sure my buddy would have rather talked to the guy about the MISREPRESENTED conditions of the lease first, the feeders were a pissed off after thought when the guy didnt show. Now whether the land owner or a 3rd party or space craft set up the hunt he was wrong to take the feeders.
As always I appreciate the interaction and the comments. Agree or not, this has been fun. I'm outta here in a few for a long weekend at the lease (my lease, not a day lease).......Good luck to all who head out.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide