Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Anybody else sit in the rain yesterday? #2787307 11/27/11 07:36 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
So I’m after these greenheads on a mud flat on public, and I’m ready to go for it, I’m only shooting greenheads. Have only scouted the spot from a distance, so really not sure how muddy it would be or how deep the water was. Well it is very muddy, and water extremely shallow. So that spot you see below is where I set up originally, passed on teal all morning, mallards started coming in 8:30, but they were landing further out. Raining on me all morning never stopped..

The water was like a tide, one minute my deeks would be floating and another minute water was lower and my deeks were on mud, very odd… Anyway, if I wanted to kill some mallards I needed to be further out. So I finally decided to move out after watching them for an hour, now I’m sitting in the water, still raining, spread looks good but birds stopped flying. I started sinking in the mud, and water going down my waders, rain stopped, so I figured it was time to picked up, snapped a few pics..

pic from my layout blind..

Pic of molly all covered...

Man if I would have set-up like that early morning I could have been on some green, but by the time I walked out of there I was worn plum out!! No birds but I sure burned some calories!!

Re: Anybody else sit in the rain yesterday? [Re: Guy] #2787359 11/27/11 07:53 PM
C
chilled shot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
All i got to say is WOW !!!!!
You hard core guys are killin me.

Re: Anybody else sit in the rain yesterday? [Re: Guy] #2787425 11/27/11 08:25 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
You ain't kidding about getting a work out with mud caking up on the waders. The walk from were we parked to where we were setting up felt like a 10 mile hike.

Guy,

You didn't flare the birds with the layout?

I ask because we tried hunting out of layouts last year, but I felt they stuck out to much. The cows keep the vegitation so low that the layouts don't blind in well.

[Linked Image]
Re: Anybody else sit in the rain yesterday? [Re: Guy] #2787440 11/27/11 08:34 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Your a better man than I.

Re: Anybody else sit in the rain yesterday? [Re: wal1809] #2787502 11/27/11 08:59 PM
M
mnsherick Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I hear ya on that one. It's been a muddy, calorie burning season. And I have a feeling it's only going to get worse...

-Matt

Re: Anybody else sit in the rain yesterday? [Re: Hopedale] #2788058 11/28/11 12:42 AM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Hopedale
You ain't kidding about getting a work out with mud caking up on the waders. The walk from were we parked to where we were setting up felt like a 10 mile hike.

Guy,

I think when I'm covered and Molly is covered, we just look like a clump of mud.

Walking out of there was a bitch. I really could not fold up my layout all wet, it would have just weigh me down and I would have sunk further in the mud, so I pulled the blind along like a sled with my deeks and gun on the layout blind. This was like take 2 steps, pull blind, get feet unstuck, 2 more steps repeat..

whip

Funny I accessed this area thru private property, a neighbor saw me walking out, they call the land owner and said “There is a man stuck in the mud behind your property, he is stuck in the mud trying to pull his boat”. rofl

Re: Anybody else sit in the rain yesterday? [Re: Guy] #2788138 11/28/11 01:09 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
You could have had 2 heart attacks that day, the first one walking on yhat mud, the second one eating all that pile of bacon to recupe from calorieburning

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: Anybody else sit in the rain yesterday? [Re: Hopedale] #2788176 11/28/11 01:18 AM
L
lakewaydr50 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L

Guy,

I ask because we tried hunting out of layouts last year, but I felt they stuck out to much. The cows keep the vegitation so low that the layouts don't blind in well.
These mud flats are the reason I haven't even attempted hunting yet. Where we hunt it's mostly blackland and I am affraid to attempt trying to cross the mud by myself for fear I might get stuck until someone found me. If we could get about 1 foot of rain these marshes would be underwater and the ground next to the water would be hard enough to walk on. When these marshes get water over them you can walk all over them with little or no trouble.

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Re: Anybody else sit in the rain yesterday? [Re: lakewaydr50] #2792397 11/29/11 04:30 AM
T
Tex Pat Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
so can you tell me why the lake level would rise and fall like a tide ? I noticed the same thing on the lake this weekend and couldn't figure it out. is it a high pressure low pressure situation, or the wind ?

Re: Anybody else sit in the rain yesterday? [Re: Tex Pat] #2792404 11/29/11 04:32 AM
H
Homey da Clown Offline
CTJ
CTJ
H
Uhhhh.....what is wind for a $1000, Alex

R & B Outdoors
Mud Buddy motors/accessories
Gator Trax boats
(512) 826-6200
www.rboutdoors.com
Re: Anybody else sit in the rain yesterday? [Re: Guy] #2792416 11/29/11 04:39 AM
N
ndhunter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted By: Guy

Guy,

I think when I'm covered and Molly is covered, we just look like a clump of mud.

Walking out of there was a bitch. I really could not fold up my layout all wet, it would have just weigh me down and I would have sunk further in the mud, so I pulled the blind along like a sled with my deeks and gun on the layout blind. This was like take 2 steps, pull blind, get feet unstuck, 2 more steps repeat..

whip

Funny I accessed this area thru private property, a neighbor saw me walking out, they call the land owner and said “There is a man stuck in the mud behind your property, he is stuck in the mud trying to pull his boat”. rofl

It was all those damn ribs that made you sink Slim

Re: Anybody else sit in the rain yesterday? [Re: ndhunter] #2792825 11/29/11 01:34 PM
J
J78 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I was out in the rain on Saturday. Wasn't sure I wanted to sit in it for long, then ducks started dropping in on me and my buddy. We ended up with 11, mixed bag. Ducks flew from 6:50 a.m. until 10 a.m. It was totally worth sitting in the rain.

Re: Anybody else sit in the rain yesterday? [Re: J78] #2792862 11/29/11 01:51 PM
S
SpoonPlatoon Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
My wife and I sat through it Saturday morning. She was a trooper. Ended up not getting anything. Just wasnt on the X that day.

[Linked Image]
Re: Anybody else sit in the rain yesterday? [Re: ndhunter] #2792962 11/29/11 02:23 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: ndhunter

Guy,

whip

It was all those damn ribs that made you sink Slim

Yeah I gained 4 lbs over those ribs, that did not help!

Re: Anybody else sit in the rain yesterday? [Re: J78] #2792980 11/29/11 02:30 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: J78
I was out in the rain on Saturday. Wasn't sure I wanted to sit in it for long, then ducks started dropping in on me and my buddy. We ended up with 11, mixed bag. Ducks flew from 6:50 a.m. until 10 a.m. It was totally worth sitting in the rain.

Not bad if you got the right gear. I just got a new Cabela's gore-tex jacket, so I gave it the real test, it rained on me all morning. I was fine until my butt started sinking in the mud and water started running down the back of my waders.. flame

Re: Anybody else sit in the rain yesterday? [Re: SpoonPlatoon] #2792990 11/29/11 02:33 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: bigdaddy590
My wife and I sat through it Saturday morning. She was a trooper. Ended up not getting anything. Just wasnt on the X that day.

Good job getting the lady out there! My wife has never been, if I could ever get her to go, I would pick a nicer day though. grin

Re: Anybody else sit in the rain yesterday? [Re: Homey da Clown] #2792997 11/29/11 02:35 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Homey da Clown
Uhhhh.....what is wind for a $1000, Alex

Yeah, I figured it had to be the wind, I was not sure though. I was hoping the water level would come up with the rain and I would not have to move out into deeper water. grin

Re: Anybody else sit in the rain yesterday? [Re: Hopedale] #2793565 11/29/11 05:22 PM
T
TreeBass Online Content
Old Weller
Online Content
Old Weller
T

Guy,

dude, we didn't have that problem loser8

Hardcore Guy, hardcore

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: Anybody else sit in the rain yesterday? [Re: TreeBass] #2793789 11/29/11 06:22 PM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: TreeBass

Guy,

dude, we didn't have that problem loser8

Hardcore Guy, hardcore

hahaha clap

I should add, Hopedale, you think layout blinds stick out? Here's an idea: build a 4 foot cedar blind, it'll blend in more trout

Re: Anybody else sit in the rain yesterday? [Re: Dave Speer] #2793876 11/29/11 06:53 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Hardcore Guy....so you zeroed out? At least you got out there. I've now had two zeros this year (one in teal and one the weekend before last).

Ever since I got stuck in some mud two years ago when I was hunting with Gary's son Tyler (just me and him on this one area of private) I'm super wary of mud. I sunk down so deep and was to the point of exhaustion....I could have been in real trouble if Tyler wasnt there. The funny thing was is he went off to put some stuff up and I was just sitting there suck in the mud alone in the dark for like 10 minutes....felt like an hour. Then you hear about people that end up dying in that stuff.

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: Anybody else sit in the rain yesterday? [Re: Marcstar] #2793913 11/29/11 07:01 PM
M
mohunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Hunted in the rain Saturday killed a three man limit, three hunters, hunted Sunday in the gale force wind and only killed 13.
Was expecting a lot better hunt Sunday but did not happen.

Re: Anybody else sit in the rain yesterday? [Re: Guy] #2794009 11/29/11 07:28 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

Good job getting the lady out there! My wife has never been, if I could ever get her to go, I would pick a nicer day though. grin

Uhhhhhh.... so why is she not signed up for the All-Women's Goose Hunt this weekend? Seeing other women out there and having an easy first hunt could go a long way in convincing her.

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Anybody else sit in the rain yesterday? [Re: mohunter] #2794037 11/29/11 07:35 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Paddled into some sloughs and got muddy/soaked Saturday - might as well have left the kayak behind and walked/swam. Got a heck of a workout poling thru some serious mud & invasives. Saw some ducks, but not in range.

Sunday, met some buddies down at the lease. We braved the gale force winds and got a nice mixed bag. Not a lot of ducks, but the mix was cool. Definitely glad I was out there both days - ended the first split with a smile on my face and tired, happy dogs. smile

Re: Anybody else sit in the rain yesterday? [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2794071 11/29/11 07:43 PM
S
SpoonPlatoon Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Uhhhhhh.... so why is she not signed up for the All-Women's Goose Hunt this weekend? Seeing other women out there and having an easy first hunt could go a long way in convincing her.
We're working on her shotgun skills right now. The pump 12 is to much for her right now so she's using a single shot 20ga. We're having problems because she's left eye dominant but right handed. She just doesnt look comfortable holding the shotgun.

[Linked Image]
Re: Anybody else sit in the rain yesterday? [Re: SpoonPlatoon] #2794368 11/29/11 09:03 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

We're working on her shotgun skills right now. The pump 12 is to much for her right now so she's using a single shot 20ga. We're having problems because she's left eye dominant but right handed. She just doesnt look comfortable holding the shotgun.

Throw a snake out in front of her. rifle Watch how fast she gets proficient! rofl

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide