Print Thread
Ruger, Mossberg, or Remington? #2781774 11/24/11 06:54 PM
J
Jacob645 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
Looking for either a 30-06 or .270 on a budget. What is my best choice? Synthetic or wood doesn't matter. I know the Mossbergs are cheap, but are they cheaply made?

Re: Ruger, Mossberg, or Remington? [Re: Jacob645] #2781783 11/24/11 06:59 PM
R
rjd Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Haven't looked at Mossberg. Either of the other two is a good choice, as long as you stay away from the Remington 710-770. Might also check out the Howa/Weatherby Vanguard as they are a well made rifle for the price. The Marlin is also getting good reviews, as is the Stevens 200-if you can find one.

Re: Ruger, Mossberg, or Remington? [Re: rjd] #2781789 11/24/11 07:03 PM
C
Csddarden Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I've heard good things about the new Mossbergs (and Marlins). I would stay away from Rugers, but that's just my personal opinion. I would say get the Remmy or a Winchester (if you can find one on your budget). However, I have a vintage Mossberg 80b in .243 and it is a heck of a shooter.

Re: Ruger, Mossberg, or Remington? [Re: Csddarden] #2788208 11/28/11 01:27 AM
T
trophy8 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
first off i will put any of my rugers up against any mossberg anyday, every single one i have will shoot under 1 inch at 100 all day long, you just have to know how to shoot them, sounds dumb to some but if the barrel is super clean it wont shoot worth a flip, they have deep rifling..not sure where you would find a ruger on a budget but if you do snag it up..
you best bet would be a remington model 700..by far the best rifle in the 300-500 dollar range, and they shoot very well.
i have heard good things about the new mossbergs, but its not the same quality you will get out of a remington or a ruger..
also the new weatherby for 400-450 is a smoking deal....good luck with it

Re: Ruger, Mossberg, or Remington? [Re: trophy8] #2788217 11/28/11 01:29 AM
J
jhenderson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
what kind of budget are you working with?

Re: Ruger, Mossberg, or Remington? [Re: jhenderson] #2788343 11/28/11 02:01 AM
D
Don Dial Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Some Mmsbergs are made by Savage..might want to watch the
betting...Savage had a Million $$ offer for any rifle that
could beat thier target rifles accuracy off the shelf..with
off shelf rifles and ammo....Not one major mfg...took the deal

DD

Re: Ruger, Mossberg, or Remington? [Re: Don Dial] #2788384 11/28/11 02:11 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
There's hunting rifles that can smoke their target rifles; someone should have collected on that deal.

Re: Ruger, Mossberg, or Remington? [Re: Don Dial] #2788432 11/28/11 02:24 AM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Don Dial

DD
I never heard of that challenge..when was it..reference?

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: Ruger, Mossberg, or Remington? [Re: Csddarden] #2788509 11/28/11 02:41 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Csddarden
I've heard good things about the new Mossbergs (and Marlins). I would stay away from Rugers, but that's just my personal opinion. I would say get the Remmy or a Winchester (if you can find one on your budget). However, I have a vintage Mossberg 80b in .243 and it is a heck of a shooter.

so your advocating staying away from a ruger rifle(which has been a pinnacle since day one) but promoting mossbergs and marlins(who's forte is cheap pump shotguns and lever action rifles)

what experiance do you have with ruger rifles to form this opinion?

Ruger rifles are some of the finest on the market, definatly a hell of a lot better than any mossberg rifle.

to the OP:

a rifle is an investment, it would behoove you to find a used rifle in a 700/model 70, M77 or a browning than purchase a cheaper rifle thta is new just to save a buck. I"m not a rifle snob but i definatly enjoy my time afield much much more when i'm using a nice peiece of equipment

Last edited by txtrophy85; 11/28/11 02:47 AM.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Ruger, Mossberg, or Remington? [Re: Don Dial] #2788610 11/28/11 03:02 AM
T
trophy8 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T

DD

lmao!! because the companies who can produce a rifle dont have to get into a pissing match with savage....they are more professional....and you must compare apples to apples, the only other company making an off the shelf target rifle is remington and winchester, the others are made to look like target rifles....and the ones i have shot and seen would smash the savage performance.
you cannot compare the accuracy of a specifically built target rifle to a hunting rifle....if you want to compare something simliar to what you mentioned, have you ever shot a Jarrett rifle? take your savage and one of the Jarrett beanfeild rifles head to head....performance speaks for itself..

hats off to you for sticking by your brand or backing them up....but they are ugly, uncomfortable, and cheap....sure they make good looking good feeling guns, that cost more money than a comparible rifle of a different make..

i have owned ruger, remington, winchester, browning, savage, smith and wesson (the old bolt action rifles) colt, mossberg, henry, and im sure i am forgetting some....by far i can say i am a die hard ruger fan....and not due just to look, but to performance..alot of people overlook the rifles, but i have yet to pick one up that has been well cared for or is new and isnt a fantastic shooter....and besides....ruger has never made an economy rifle....and the 10/22 doesnt count, even if it does its the best 22 ever mass produced lol

to the OP, i did not mean for this to turn into a pissing match....and i apologize for somewhat stealing your thread....
to answer your question, if you are wanting to buy a rifle and get a decent scope and go kill a deer within 150 yards or so, dang near every rifle out there off the shelf is perfectly capable of doing it....look past the brand(but for cryin out loud dont put mossberg on the same level as ruger and remington lol), look at the feel to you..does it feel right? is it priced within your budget? is ammo easy to find and reasonably priced? people overthink the rifles starting out..i wish you the best of luck and hope you get a good one....pawn shops are a very good place to look..

Last edited by trophy8; 11/28/11 03:07 AM.
Re: Ruger, Mossberg, or Remington? [Re: Don Dial] #2788621 11/28/11 03:04 AM
T
trophy8 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T

DD

not trying be rude and call you out but please provide proof of statement..i searched with no luck

Re: Ruger, Mossberg, or Remington? [Re: trophy8] #2788630 11/28/11 03:05 AM
O
Old whisker Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
Originally Posted By: trophy8
first off i will put any of my rugers up against any mossberg anyday, every single one i have will shoot under 1 inch at 100 all day long, you just have to know how to shoot them, sounds dumb to some but if the barrel is super clean it wont shoot worth a flip, they have deep rifling..not sure where you would find a ruger on a budget but if you do snag it up..
you best bet would be a remington model 700..by far the best rifle in the 300-500 dollar range, and they shoot very well.
i have heard good things about the new mossbergs, but its not the same quality you will get out of a remington or a ruger..

You entitled to a bias as well as anybody here.
About 30 years ago I was shopping around for a new caliber. Something like 264 Mag or 25-06, flat and fast, just for whitetails.
Around that time Ruger got hold of some cheap barrels. Some on the forum may remember that. The word had spread fast.
It pretty much ruined the reputation for years to come.
With the vast selection of brands out there I still would not touch it. To me, if a company puts profits ahead of its customers trust, I look elsewhere.

Experience is what you get, when you did not get what you wanted.......
Re: Ruger, Mossberg, or Remington? [Re: Old whisker] #2788652 11/28/11 03:11 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Old whisker
[quote=trophy8]Around that time Ruger got hold of some cheap barrels. Some on the forum may remember that. The word had spread fast.
With the vast selection of brands out there I still would not touch it. To me, if a company puts profits ahead of its customers trust, I look elsewhere.

and remginton has issues with their safeties....but that doesn't mean its not a good rifle.

what happend 30 years ago does not hold true today and vice versa.

Re: Ruger, Mossberg, or Remington? [Re: Old whisker] #2788670 11/28/11 03:13 AM
T
trophy8 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T

About 30 years ago I was shopping around for a new caliber. Something like 264 Mag or 25-06, flat and fast, just for whitetails.
Around that time Ruger got hold of some cheap barrels. Some on the forum may remember that. The word had spread fast.

i am not old enough to be around then but i have heard of it, and it was a huge mistake on rugers part....but they have more than made up for it....at least they didnt go cheap on an entire rifle like the remington model 770 and 710, and numerous savages....cheap barrel? mistake....cheap barrel, stock, trigger and action? makes a good walking cane

Re: Ruger, Mossberg, or Remington? [Re: trophy8] #2788740 11/28/11 03:29 AM
O
Old whisker Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O

i am not old enough to be around then but i have heard of it, and it was a huge mistake on rugers part....but they have more than made up for it....at least they didnt go cheap on an entire rifle like the remington model 770 and 710, and numerous savages....cheap barrel? mistake....cheap barrel, stock, trigger and action? makes a good walking cane

I believe that sincerely.
And Ruger had made some nice guns shortly after the incident.
But the fact still remains, that it takes lot of years to establish a brands reputation. It takes almost no time to ruin it, though.

Experience is what you get, when you did not get what you wanted.......
Re: Ruger, Mossberg, or Remington? [Re: Old whisker] #2788795 11/28/11 03:41 AM
B
BruiserOutlaw Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I have never owned a Ruger rifle, but always wanted a all weather Ruger mark77..

The Remington 770 is a cheapo, but I know of one the shoots 4 shots in a area no bigger than your thumbnail.. Sounds like a good tool to me..

When in doubt.. Empty the magazine
Re: Ruger, Mossberg, or Remington? [Re: Old whisker] #2788815 11/28/11 03:46 AM
T
trophy8 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I agree 100 percent. One wrong beats a thousands rights.

I believe that sincerely.
And Ruger had made some nice guns shortly after the incident.
But the fact still remains, that it takes lot of years to establish a brands reputation. It takes almost no time to ruin it, though.

Re: Ruger, Mossberg, or Remington? [Re: BruiserOutlaw] #2788823 11/28/11 03:49 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: BruiserOutlaw
I have never owned a Ruger rifle, but always wanted a all weather Ruger mark77..

The Remington 770 is a cheapo, but I know of one the shoots 4 shots in a area no bigger than your thumbnail.. Sounds like a good tool to me..

i would like to see that.

when the model 710 came out, my friend(who was not much of a hunter) went out and bought one. best i could do with that gun was about a 3 inch group at 100 yards.

Re: Ruger, Mossberg, or Remington? [Re: trophy8] #2788826 11/28/11 03:49 AM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I will take the Ruger.

Re: Ruger, Mossberg, or Remington? [Re: txtrophy85] #2790173 11/28/11 06:10 PM
B
BruiserOutlaw Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: BruiserOutlaw

i would like to see that.

when the model 710 came out, my friend(who was not much of a hunter) went out and bought one. best i could do with that gun was about a 3 inch group at 100 yards.

Now that I went and looked.. It's not as good as I thought, but better than 3 inches

When in doubt.. Empty the magazine
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide