Forums46
Topics538,361
Posts9,736,269
Members87,083
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Freddy the Freeloader!!! Who's got one in their deer camp? [Re: LandPirate] #2750192 11/14/11 01:56 PM
janie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
Originally Posted By: Nate C.
All these horror stories reinforce that I am very fortunate to hunt with a really good bunch of guys. No drama.

Count your blessings. I'm planning the rest of my season and my hunts around avoiding the Freeloader so I can enjoy myself.

This is first time in probably the last 20 years that I've had to deal with drama. I don't care for it.

Is it still going on with this guy?

I can't be around the guy or I'm gonna torque off on him.

Mike, that may be exactly what needs doing. I'd let it fly and not hold back.

He is your friend defender your dog. Be worthy of such devotion

[Linked Image]
Re: Freddy the Freeloader!!! Who's got one in their deer camp? [Re: janie] #2750197 11/14/11 01:59 PM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
janie, you're right!!! He may not realize how bad his situation is to some people and needs a reality check!!!

I support Cap and Trade - Cap our spending and Trade Obama

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: Freddy the Freeloader!!! Who's got one in their deer camp? [Re: Seadog] #2750227 11/14/11 02:08 PM
L
LandPirate Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
L
I've already talked to him. I guess it's some improvement that he went to the store before going to the ranch. However, I feel his behavior is deeply ingrained and there's little that I can say that will change him at this point. Stupid is as stupid does.

I already told him that his opening weekend stunt would get him kicked out of many camps. He'll just have to learn the hard way when it comes time to renew the lease for next year.

In the meanwhile I'm not going to let a DB ruin my good time. Me and one of the other guys have the same schedule and we have days off during the week. We're going to hunt together during the week and let the idiot fend for himself.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Freddy the Freeloader!!! Who's got one in their deer camp? [Re: LandPirate] #2750254 11/14/11 02:14 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I was on a season turkey lease with a physician once like you are describing. He was not so much of a freeloader as a cheapskate and that dude had money.

To be determined
Re: Freddy the Freeloader!!! Who's got one in their deer camp? [Re: highlonesome1] #2750619 11/14/11 04:02 PM
H
HornFan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Originally Posted By: highlonesome1
I have a whole family of freddy's.

On my wife's side.

That's funny...don't we all.

Re: Freddy the Freeloader!!! Who's got one in their deer camp? [Re: HornFan] #2750689 11/14/11 04:25 PM
J
jrs_39 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I've got a good example. Took two friends to hunt on my ranch. We stop at Walmart on the way in for food and supplies. One friend offers to pay the bill (around $100). The other friend makes no effort to contribute (he lives in Highland Park). Stop for gas. Same scenario - friend who bought the groceries offers to pay for the gas. I pay instead. As we are leaving, the non-contibuting friend brings out his ice chest and starts packing away all the uneaten food. I didn't really care about the perishables, but he goes into the freezer and starts taking the frozen steaks, chicken, etc. that I was planning on eating the next weekend. Didn't say anything, but that was his first and last trip. Almost like a mental ilness.

Re: Freddy the Freeloader!!! Who's got one in their deer camp? [Re: jrs_39] #2750723 11/14/11 04:36 PM
BuckRage Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
bang

[Linked Image]
Re: Freddy the Freeloader!!! Who's got one in their deer camp? [Re: BuckRage] #2750812 11/14/11 05:06 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Wow, these stories suck. Sure glad I hunt my own land, and have access to my lease from my property. Have not even met any members of my lease yet.

Re: Freddy the Freeloader!!! Who's got one in their deer camp? [Re: jrs_39] #2751053 11/14/11 06:37 PM
T
TXW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: jrs_39
I've got a good example. Took two friends to hunt on my ranch. We stop at Walmart on the way in for food and supplies. One friend offers to pay the bill (around $100). The other friend makes no effort to contribute (he lives in Highland Park). Stop for gas. Same scenario - friend who bought the groceries offers to pay for the gas. I pay instead. As we are leaving, the non-contibuting friend brings out his ice chest and starts packing away all the uneaten food. I didn't really care about the perishables, but he goes into the freezer and starts taking the frozen steaks, chicken, etc. that I was planning on eating the next weekend. Didn't say anything, but that was his first and last trip. Almost like a mental ilness.

If it helps, I live close to Highland Park and am more than happy to pitch in my share on the next trip to the ranch. up

Re: Freddy the Freeloader!!! Who's got one in their deer camp? [Re: helomech] #2751127 11/14/11 07:00 PM
M
MacDaddy21 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Okay, this looks like a good place to post up my story. I hunt out in Mason, on a little 89 acre lease, and also my grandparents little 5 acres that they have lived on for 40+ years. As far as "huntable" land, its actually about 3.5 acres and it sits directly on the highway going into town. There is a small grove of oak trees on the property and it serves as a barrier between the deer, and the road. They feel fairly secluded behind those trees. So I've had a feeder up for about 7 years now, and have been hunting there for awhile. A few years ago, my grandfather an I built a really nice elevated bow blind, and set it up behind a mesquite tree with post oaks on both sides, overlooking the feeder at about 20 yards. Its a great little set up. I've seen some really nice bucks there, and have been hunting 2 very nice bucks for several years.

Well, my cousin (dad's brother's daughter) gets married 2 years ago. Her husband (in his mid 20's), is a big hunter. I bow hunt, and he gun hunts. Well, last year without even asking me, he goes down and hunts in my stand (that I paid for), over my feeder (that I paid for), and my corn that I also paid for. He shoots a small 1.5 year old buck from 30 yards with a 30-.06. Absolutely blows this deer to pieces.

Then, later that year, he goes out to hunt at his mother-in-law's parents place which is also in Mason. Before he goes to hunt, he is told by the land owners specifically not to shoot a monster main frame 10 point they have been watching and hunting for several years. They hadn't killed him yet because he had grown significantly each year they had seen him and they estimated he was only about 3.5 years old. They showed him several trail cam pics so he would know the buck and not shoot it. It was definitely an easy buck to recognize. So, what does he do? He shoots the monster 10. He was told he is no longer welcome to hunt there, which put an end to that.

So, earlier this season I am in Mason. I had just hunted at my lease that morning, and was back at my grandparents 5 acres getting the card out of my cam down at the feeder. I pull the card, then look up about to walk off, and see the sun shine off something in a big old oak tree that has been there for years. I walk over to the tree, which is about 20 feet to the left of my stand, and see several screw in tree stand steps going up the trunk. At the top, there is a tree stand. Of course I know who it belongs to, but out of curiosity, I climb up and sit in it. It is set up directly facing my stand. I had my rangefinder, so I ranged the feeder from there. 50 yards. I heard recently that he got a bow about 7 months ago so I assumed maybe he would try to bow hunt from this stand, but 50 yards seems like a long shot for a beginner to take at a nice deer. I've been bowhunting for 6 years and I'm still not perfectly comfortable taking a shot on a nice buck from 50 yards. I'm accurate at 50, but I don't think I'd take a shot at a trophy buck from that range.

So anyway, I go back to the house and start raising hell to my old man. He says my grandfather cant do anything about it because he doesn't want to start a family feud. Fair enough, I understand his position, and I respect my father and my grand father very much. Regardless, I'm still pissed that this guy comes in and puts a stand up overlooking my feeder without even asking me. He shot a monster buck on someone else's property once before after being told not to, so clearly he is stupid enough to do it again.

I don't care if he shoots a doe or a spike, or even a little breadbasket buck. We have a few of them running around that need to be culled anyway. I'm just mad that he put a tree stand up DIRECTLY next to my stand, without even asking me. I've been trying to get a nice buck there for a long time, and have not done so yet. I'm hoping to have a word with him some time this year, so I can tell him not to shoot a nice buck if he sees one. I've had the opportunity to hunt on other ranches before, and have passed up several nice bucks for spikes instead. It is just common courtesy NOT to shoot the nicest deer you see, when you get to hunt on someone else's place for free. Every time I have shot a spike/cull, the landowner tells me I am welcome back any time.

Anyway, thats my rant.

Re: Freddy the Freeloader!!! Who's got one in their deer camp? [Re: MacDaddy21] #2751153 11/14/11 07:08 PM
C
Chuck McDonald Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I would figure up how much I had spent on feed this year and hand him a bill for half. If he is not willing to pay I would tell him to find his own dang spot.

Re: Freddy the Freeloader!!! Who's got one in their deer camp? [Re: Chuck McDonald] #2751160 11/14/11 07:12 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: Chuck McDonald
I would figure up how much I had spent on feed this year and hand him a bill for half. If he is not willing to pay I would tell him to find his own dang spot.

Good advice, & if that doesn't work I would kick his arse!

Re: Freddy the Freeloader!!! Who's got one in their deer camp? [Re: skinnerback] #2751274 11/14/11 07:43 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I had knucklehead pull the same crap on me last year. Hunting family land, I set up a feeder (20 yrds for bow hunting) & a ground blind in a new area away from everybody. This other "family" member desides this year he is gonna come down & hunt. He stuck a really crappy "so called" bow stand dang near right in front of my ground blind, just barely enough to the left so that I didn't have to shoot under it. I couldn't believe it, he hunted it & I don't know what he did but he had everything spooked for several weeks. Really ticked me off, he had the rest of a 120 acre tract to set up on & pulls this? Urghh....so of course I immediately complain to the "ranch foreman" & was asked not to jump his sh%$ because nobody wanted a family fued, including me but dadgum...seriously? So, anyway...he was asked to pitch in for the corn to fill the feeder. It takes me 5-6 bags per month to fill. He comes back with 1 bag of corn.

Re: Freddy the Freeloader!!! Who's got one in their deer camp? [Re: MacDaddy21] #2751517 11/14/11 08:57 PM
C
Czechaholic Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted By: MacDaddy21
Okay, this looks like a good place to post up my story. I hunt out in Mason, on a little 89 acre lease, and also my grandparents little 5 acres that they have lived on for 40+ years. As far as "huntable" land, its actually about 3.5 acres and it sits directly on the highway going into town. There is a small grove of oak trees on the property and it serves as a barrier between the deer, and the road. They feel fairly secluded behind those trees. So I've had a feeder up for about 7 years now, and have been hunting there for awhile. A few years ago, my grandfather an I built a really nice elevated bow blind, and set it up behind a mesquite tree with post oaks on both sides, overlooking the feeder at about 20 yards. Its a great little set up. I've seen some really nice bucks there, and have been hunting 2 very nice bucks for several years.

Well, my cousin (dad's brother's daughter) gets married 2 years ago. Her husband (in his mid 20's), is a big hunter. I bow hunt, and he gun hunts. Well, last year without even asking me, he goes down and hunts in my stand (that I paid for), over my feeder (that I paid for), and my corn that I also paid for. He shoots a small 1.5 year old buck from 30 yards with a 30-.06. Absolutely blows this deer to pieces.

Then, later that year, he goes out to hunt at his mother-in-law's parents place which is also in Mason. Before he goes to hunt, he is told by the land owners specifically not to shoot a monster main frame 10 point they have been watching and hunting for several years. They hadn't killed him yet because he had grown significantly each year they had seen him and they estimated he was only about 3.5 years old. They showed him several trail cam pics so he would know the buck and not shoot it. It was definitely an easy buck to recognize. So, what does he do? He shoots the monster 10. He was told he is no longer welcome to hunt there, which put an end to that.

So, earlier this season I am in Mason. I had just hunted at my lease that morning, and was back at my grandparents 5 acres getting the card out of my cam down at the feeder. I pull the card, then look up about to walk off, and see the sun shine off something in a big old oak tree that has been there for years. I walk over to the tree, which is about 20 feet to the left of my stand, and see several screw in tree stand steps going up the trunk. At the top, there is a tree stand. Of course I know who it belongs to, but out of curiosity, I climb up and sit in it. It is set up directly facing my stand. I had my rangefinder, so I ranged the feeder from there. 50 yards. I heard recently that he got a bow about 7 months ago so I assumed maybe he would try to bow hunt from this stand, but 50 yards seems like a long shot for a beginner to take at a nice deer. I've been bowhunting for 6 years and I'm still not perfectly comfortable taking a shot on a nice buck from 50 yards. I'm accurate at 50, but I don't think I'd take a shot at a trophy buck from that range.

So anyway, I go back to the house and start raising hell to my old man. He says my grandfather cant do anything about it because he doesn't want to start a family feud. Fair enough, I understand his position, and I respect my father and my grand father very much. Regardless, I'm still pissed that this guy comes in and puts a stand up overlooking my feeder without even asking me. He shot a monster buck on someone else's property once before after being told not to, so clearly he is stupid enough to do it again.

I don't care if he shoots a doe or a spike, or even a little breadbasket buck. We have a few of them running around that need to be culled anyway. I'm just mad that he put a tree stand up DIRECTLY next to my stand, without even asking me. I've been trying to get a nice buck there for a long time, and have not done so yet. I'm hoping to have a word with him some time this year, so I can tell him not to shoot a nice buck if he sees one. I've had the opportunity to hunt on other ranches before, and have passed up several nice bucks for spikes instead. It is just common courtesy NOT to shoot the nicest deer you see, when you get to hunt on someone else's place for free. Every time I have shot a spike/cull, the landowner tells me I am welcome back any time.

Anyway, thats my rant.

So why don't you say something to him?!

Re: Freddy the Freeloader!!! Who's got one in their deer camp? [Re: Czechaholic] #2751571 11/14/11 09:15 PM
B
B_Bop77 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Mr Mike
If by any chance you end up with an opening next year I'd sure be interested. I'll pull my weight... all 350 lbs.

Re: Freddy the Freeloader!!! Who's got one in their deer camp? [Re: skinnerback] #2752175 11/14/11 11:49 PM
T
twinbubba Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I had one. The optimum word here is HAD.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, 09 Yamaha Rhino 450 Camo,
Re: Freddy the Freeloader!!! Who's got one in their deer camp? [Re: skinnerback] #2752316 11/15/11 12:29 AM
M
MacDaddy21 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Originally Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Good advice, & if that doesn't work I would kick his arse!

I like both of those ideas, and will probably go with the feed bill idea first. The guy is just an idiot though. At first I thought he was an alright guy, but the he pulls this sh*t. Funny thing is, a few months ago, he texted me saying something about how he was thinking about putting up a stand and feeder in the opposite corner of the little 3.5 acres. I told him that was not a good idea, and not fair to me because it would screw up my stand/feeder. I convinced him 3.5 acres is nowhere near enough land for 2 stands and 2 feeders, so I thought I was done with the guy.

I've also decided that if he is ever there when I am there also, I'm going to purposely hunt my stand there instead of going to my lease, because there is no way 2 people can hunt over the same feeder at the same time, and I will pray that he has enough remaining brain cells to realize that. If not, I'll tell him, then write it on paper, then maybe draw a picture to help him understand.

I hate having to deal with this BS. All I know is, I'd never even consider doing that on my in-laws land. Whatever action I do take, I want to make sure I don't sink to his level of stupidity. Nothing irritates me more than a hypocrite. Oh wait...I just thought of something that does irritate me more...A stupid hypocrite.

Re: Freddy the Freeloader!!! Who's got one in their deer camp? [Re: MacDaddy21] #2760159 11/17/11 02:16 AM
N
Nate C. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Idiot or not, it would appear that under the existing arrangement, he is as much a guest there as you are. Offer to lease the place from grandpa in exchange for exclusive access. That way he isn't put in a tight spot with the family, and you can agree to say the price was whatever. Your cousin-in-law can always counter-bid for the lease in the future.

Re: Freddy the Freeloader!!! Who's got one in their deer camp? [Re: txshntr] #2760291 11/17/11 02:42 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Hi...my name is Freddy. I am by far the biggest mooch at our lease. Have been on it a long time and they can't kick me off. Figure I have earned the right and if they want to hunt there, nothing wrong with a little tribute to pay.

Now, don't get me wrong. I help with filling feeders and work around the lease and camp. I will fix anything that they want and will work as hard as anyone.

But when it comes time to relax, I find the closest cooler with my flavor of choice. When it is time to eat, I eat well. Sometimes I have to go to a couple of different campers to get what I want, but someone usually has a steak for me.

Great group of guys that I hunt with up They pretty much have come to accept it and I am pretty sure that they all pitch in to make sure that no one really gets stuck with the bill. Really not a big deal, probably doesn't cost them each but about 5-10 dollars, and who can't afford that?

You must have been hiding in the bushes and watching, weren't ya? rofl

Had to finish my waffles this morning on the 8 pointer I misjudged... food

But really, if you think about it...I am just a working man and all those seasoned hunters have more money. They can afford leases all across the country. Whats $5 a season to them? Figure if it is good for the country, it is good for my deer lease peep
Just tryin' to stimulate the economy,thats all.And help a brother out.Txshntr,I like yor style.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Freddy the Freeloader!!! Who's got one in their deer camp? [Re: Erathkid] #2760585 11/17/11 03:51 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Idea for the beer moochers. Plant some of this in your cooler.

http://bowserbeer.com/

To be determined
Re: Freddy the Freeloader!!! Who's got one in their deer camp? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #2760594 11/17/11 03:54 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
When you know they are running out, shake one up real well for them. Either set it up so they will definitely grab that one next, or bring it to them. When they gripe, you can say that they should of brought their own beer.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Freddy the Freeloader!!! Who's got one in their deer camp? [Re: KWood_TSU] #2761508 11/17/11 03:47 PM
C
Cavscout1968 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I have a whole party of these guys.

I buy all the food for every weekend I go, generally 2 dinners(and cook them, sandwich stuff for lunches, a few bags of chips, and anything needed to cook with(aluminum foil, dispoable pans, paper plates, ect). I buy 10 cases of water and drive them up a weeke before bow season, I bring my own booze, and batteries for the fans.

We're supposed to split the propane for laterns, scent free soap, spray, and corn. I bought it all last year, and never got the "split" I was promised and we're still using what I bought last year.

One of the guys in camp does get a great deal on corn, so he buys it, but will not drop any at your stand if he isn't paid up front.

I keep going, since this is my last year there, but I would never stay on a piece of hunting property like this again, maybe even quit hunting if this is all I had. I don't mind sharing and doing my fair share, but between the land owner(who makes rules on size deer to be taken, then shoots small ones), to the drunk that never brings anything, its been a pretty bad year. I would propably skip gun season if I hadn't seen some really big ones on game cam during bow season.

I am lucky though, found out my wifes cousin owns 60-70 acres that no one hunts in Texas. I've already talked to him and that'll be my private lease till I get everything sorted out or he retires and starts building his dream home.

US Cavalry, retired
Surviving Wisconsin to live in Texas
7 months till no more snow
Re: Freddy the Freeloader!!! Who's got one in their deer camp? [Re: Cavscout1968] #2762004 11/17/11 06:32 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Cavscout1968

One of the guys in camp does get a great deal on corn, so he buys it, but will not drop any at your stand if he isn't paid up front.

Do the same thing with what you bring and they will pay or starve.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Freddy the Freeloader!!! Who's got one in their deer camp? [Re: Western] #2762037 11/17/11 06:43 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
MacDaddy - although you are a guest on your granddads place, you are family. This joker is an in-law, but he is acting like an outlaw! Tell him so, straight up. You said your granddad didn't want to start a feud, but go talk to him again and let him know that this type of behavior wasn't how he raised your Dad, and that is not how your Dad raised you. Trust and respect is earned, not a right. Good luck.

Last edited by gljshh; 11/17/11 06:46 PM.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Freddy the Freeloader!!! Who's got one in their deer camp? [Re: Western] #2762086 11/17/11 07:00 PM
C
Cavscout1968 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Originally Posted By: Western
Originally Posted By: Cavscout1968

Do the same thing with what you bring and they will pay or starve.

I've thought about it, but just want to avoid the drama. The wife talked me into going back this weekend for the opening of gun season, I was going to pass on. But after years of off season labor and money, this is my last chance to get a wall mountable buck from my home state before Texas becomes home.

I forgot I also have the guy that drinks till he's falling down drunk, complaining how he nevers sees any deer, but sits only one day for maybe 2 hours. Complains whenever anyone else takes a deer, doe or buck and he'll never be kicked off cause he's the property owners best friend. He sleeps all day, then stays up crazy drunk all night.

As I type this I have to wonder why I put up with this as long as I have.

US Cavalry, retired
Surviving Wisconsin to live in Texas
7 months till no more snow
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide