Print Thread
HELPFUL HINTS-Dove Hunts #27595 08/28/05 07:50 PM
M
MUDDABBER Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
M
Thought this would be a good way for hunters to recommend some items or things to remember to take to make the dove hunts this year more enjoyable. Here are a couple, feel free to add to the list:

1). INSECT REPELLANT -Mosquitoes and Bull Knats are horrible this year in areas that had rains two weeks ago or earlier/later. One can may not be enough, they are that bad. West Nile is out there in multiple counties.
2). PLUG that shotgun for no more than three shells.
3). Get that Hunting License, hopefully before Wednesday night as the crowds will always be bad on the day before the season starts.

How about other??

Re: HELPFUL HINTS-Dove Hunts [Re: MUDDABBER] #27596 08/28/05 10:16 PM
txcornhusker Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Sunblock, sunblock, sunblock, sunblock, sunblock, and sunblock. I was recently diagnosed with skin cancer. My little brother was diagnosed at 18 years old! I'm now on a mission!

Other things:
-Lot of hydration. i.e. "water" for our grammatically challenged.
-If you didn't get a super combo, get your migratory bird stamp.
-Eye protection. Again, sun exposure.
-Did I mention SUNBLOCK!!!!!

Re: HELPFUL HINTS-Dove Hunts [Re: txcornhusker] #27597 08/28/05 10:33 PM
U
udamdan Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Zip lock bags,sissors (to cut wings)water container (to clean your doves,and wash your hands)toilet paper (?hehe) trash bags (to dispose trash,shells etc) snacks like beef jerky & sunflower seeds ! A Mojo Dove along with decoys and a dove whistle ! What else ya'll? oh and sunblock too!

Re: HELPFUL HINTS-Dove Hunts [Re: udamdan] #27598 08/29/05 12:49 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Eye protection from getting peppered. Game warden said a guy was shot in the eye at one of the dove fields we hunted at opening weekend last year. You can get cheap shooting glasses from any store that are made of plastic.

Re: HELPFUL HINTS-Dove Hunts [Re: Txduckman] #27599 08/29/05 01:09 AM
S
SmallGauge Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Hearing protection.

For those that have dogs:

*Forceps for pulling burrs and thorns
*Crazy glue for torn pads and cuts
*LOTS of water (don't forget a bowl)
*Children's Benadryl (My dog really gets the red eye running through grass and ag stubble)
*Children's aspirin (aches and pains)

Re: HELPFUL HINTS-Dove Hunts [Re: SmallGauge] #27600 08/29/05 01:32 AM
P
pyledriver Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Man, these are some great tips! My first hunts of any kind were in the 'dove fields' and I've learned about a lot of these things the hard way!

I guess the gear has pretty well been covered, so I'll just add some things about the hunting..

Dove seem to like fencerows and corners, I've had GREAT success in areas like that! Putting yourself between food (milo, sunflowers, grainfields of almost any type really) and water is one of the best setups EVER! My favorite setup is on a pond that has drawn down and has exposed mud banks, you'll need plenty of ammo for that setup and absolutely wear eye protection! Otherwise, you may get to take a nice cool-down dip when the birds drop straight into the water and you have to swim after 'em! I know a lot of y'all have dogs, but why let them have all the fun?

"Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it" -Mark Twain

Re: HELPFUL HINTS-Dove Hunts [Re: pyledriver] #27601 08/29/05 02:03 AM
S
SmallGauge Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
One more for out of town hunters with dogs:

Find the phone numbers of a couple of veterinarians near where you are heading. If you are going to be in rattlesnake country, call before hand to find out who has anti-venom and if they have an after hours phone number for emergencies.

By the way, who has a good vet around Uvalde?

Re: HELPFUL HINTS-Dove Hunts [Re: SmallGauge] #27602 08/30/05 11:01 AM
M
MUDDABBER Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
M
Just thought about this from a previous hunt. Try to wear Camo or browns/greens and if you have new individuals to hunting in your party ask them not to wear WHITE (Caps or clothing) or to sit on a WHITE ICECHEST. Being an OLD FART, I like something to sit on.

Re: HELPFUL HINTS-Dove Hunts [Re: MUDDABBER] #27603 08/30/05 05:27 PM
T
txtravlr Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Don't forget to wear ear plugs. Shotguns will definately
damage your hearing and the soft plugs are hardly noticeable
after you've worn them for a few minutes.
I am like MUDDABBER in that I'm an older fart too and I
have had some hearing loss over the years and believe me
you need all your senses all the time. I like my folding
camo arm chair with the carry pouch on the bottom for extra shells and necessities! It's lite weight and I can move it easily if I need to move to a better place.
Have fun guys and remember "SAFTEY FIRST".
PLEASE DON'T SHOOT TOWARD ME or ANYONE ELSE as it may ruin
everyone's day!

Re: HELPFUL HINTS-Dove Hunts [Re: txtravlr] #27604 08/30/05 05:42 PM
Bradbury Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
All good adivice...I for one never take my dog on opening day...way too many one day or one weekend hunters out there and they are not too quick when it comes to shooting and a dog going to get a downed bird....so I play it safe....dug a few pellets out of a few dogs in my day....never my dogs...

One thing that really get me is....shells.....hulls, etc...it is not hard to pick them up...Do not just pile em up, haul em off. Two years ago after the first three days of hunting on our dove lease....I went out and shot a limit with two others, the opening weekend crowd was gone and not get come back more then once.....I picked up over 600 hulls....all 12 and 20...never did I pick up a 16 (only two of us had 16's those earlier days...some were scattered and many were easy, the lazy hunters just left them in a pile....but that is a good way to not get invited back, kicked off a lease, etc..

Sunblock too....

Looking to buy or sell Real Estate anywhere? Let me know, I can help. Just email me steven.bradbury@cbdfw.com
Re: HELPFUL HINTS-Dove Hunts [Re: Bradbury] #27605 08/31/05 01:50 AM
S
SmallGauge Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I second the "pick up your hulls" rule. That should be rule #1.

Re: HELPFUL HINTS-Dove Hunts [Re: SmallGauge] #27606 08/31/05 01:52 AM
txcornhusker Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A new rule at #1!?! Hey, what about sunblock?

Re: HELPFUL HINTS-Dove Hunts [Re: txcornhusker] #27607 08/31/05 02:15 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Everything everybody mentioned is good, but as my short list, and since I don't have a retriever I won't deal with that, so here goes.
1. Be aware of where everybody is in relation to your position. You sprinkle me with a 20 gauge,it may sting. I hit you with part of the load from the 10 gauge it will penetrate.
2. And this one is a hard one, when you hit a bird, stop and go pick-it up, yes you will miss some follow up shots, but you will recover more birds.
3. Dove season is an excellent time to become aquainted with Mr. Rattlebug No-Shoulders, look before you reach into weeds or grass and make sure that dead bird ain't got company.
4. Make sure if you are hunting on a fence line that you have permission to cross that fence to go after a dead or wounded bird.
5. PICK-UP YOUR HULLS, THEY WILL KILL CATTLE, AND THEY MAKE A MESS.
6. Try to clean your birds as neatly as possible.
7. Keep drinking plenty of water, breaks to stop and drink a beer ain't gonna get it, that will kill you, I know from experience.
8. If the Game Warden stops in to check you, DON'T BE AN ASS, they are just doing their job and would probably rather be out hunting themselves.
9. Be courteous to others, you are out there to enjoy yourself. If you want to have a contest, go shoot some skeet.
10. Remember, Dove Hunters Have More Firearms Accidents, Than Any Other Group Of Hunters.
Enjoy yourselves and the fellowship of your companions.
JUST MY DAMN OPINION.

Re: HELPFUL HINTS-Dove Hunts [Re: Crazyhorse] #27608 08/31/05 02:50 AM
txcornhusker Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
That's a very good list. I really like #1 and #9. Not so sure about #7 though?

You forgot sunblock!

Re: HELPFUL HINTS-Dove Hunts [Re: txcornhusker] #27609 09/01/05 02:46 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Old # 7 was from 30 years ago. All of us old farts did things in our youth, that when we look back on it, we have a hard time understanding how we lived to be this old.
Take my word for it, I remember # 7, and it ain't fun. JMNSHO

Re: HELPFUL HINTS-Dove Hunts [Re: txcornhusker] #27610 09/01/05 03:06 AM
texas archer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Quote:

That's a very good list. I really like #1 and #9. Not so sure about #7 though?

No one said you could drink a beer or more AFTER the hunt. But please not during the hunt. I for one have been hit too many times and have been fortunate that none of them were serious. One one occasion I almost had my head blown off by a hunter who decided to pull the trigger to see if his gun was on 'safe'! He had his 12ga over his shoulder and a beer in his other hand. I had been walking behind him and got an uncomfortable feeling so I stepped left and his gun went off. I like to think some one was looking down on me that day! Next time I might not be so lucky so I wont take the chance with guns and drinking. I like them both but one before the other and we all know which order. And don't forget the sunscreen!

[color:"blue"][/color]
Re: HELPFUL HINTS-Dove Hunts [Re: texas archer] #27611 09/03/05 01:00 AM
J
JED Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
When you get your hunting license be sure you have your HIP certification, without it you will be ticketed.

3rd Armored Division
B Co 5/18 Infantry
[Linked Image]

Re: HELPFUL HINTS-Dove Hunts [Re: Crazyhorse] #27612 09/03/05 05:50 AM
B
BOSTON BOB Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
#7 is ALWAYS agood rule!!! We get back to the truck, unload the guns, and there are plenty of cold frosties going around!!!! But none while in the field!!!!

Bob

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide