Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: Letsgo] #2744776 11/12/11 04:55 AM
J
Jim Davis Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Letsgo
Originally Posted By: Jim Davis
if you took reading comprehension in school you would have recognized that "should have" put that comment in the past tense. You were complaining about small deer until AR's. the whining and complaining that people wont conform to their ideals is what got the ar's in the first place. "i want big deer on my place, but everyone around me wants to eat deer and shoot their limit that the state says is fine, so i think the state should screw the other people and make it the way i want.". thats the complaining i was talking about.

Yes, I understand what past tense means

I have had restrictions in place on my ranch LONG before AR's were implemented. You might want to read my post again as it appears you did not comprehend what I typed. Trigger happy neighbers on a low fence property will negate any and all hard work.

Again, please tell me how I am whinning and complaining - I am just stating a fact. You are the one crying over the state telling you what you can and cannot shoot.

BTW - if you want to compare educations we can and I promise you will lose.

an education doesnt make you intelligent FWIW....

Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: JT Evans] #2744777 11/12/11 04:56 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: JT Evans
Originally Posted By: rifleman
It's a deer welfare system basically

Which benefits the landowners.

Sometimes, limiting their abilities doesn't help much.

Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: Jim Davis] #2744795 11/12/11 05:02 AM
L
Letsgo Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
if you took reading comprehension in school you would have recognized that "should have" put that comment in the past tense. You were complaining about small deer until AR's. the whining and complaining that people wont conform to their ideals is what got the ar's in the first place. "i want big deer on my place, but everyone around me wants to eat deer and shoot their limit that the state says is fine, so i think the state should screw the other people and make it the way i want.". thats the complaining i was talking about.

I have had restrictions in place on my ranch LONG before AR's were implemented. You might want to read my post again as it appears you did not comprehend what I typed. Trigger happy neighbers on a low fence property will negate any and all hard work.

Again, please tell me how I am whinning and complaining - I am just stating a fact. You are the one crying over the state telling you what you can and cannot shoot.

Never said it did.

Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: Jim Davis] #2744801 11/12/11 05:04 AM
J
JT Evans Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J

i'm a landowner and it doesnt benefit me.

Well sir I wasn't trying to be controversial. Fifteen or Twenty years ago I read where leasing was what needed to happen to improve the quality of deer hunting in Texas. Then we see high fencing and the restriction of the free range of Texas resources oh and there is 8 to 10K entry fee.

Now we have AR's which is a further restriction. Personally I have my standards and don't see the need to kill a buck that is smaller than what I have killed before. I went two years without killing a buck. But a small deer can be a trophy to a kid and this is where we are all missing the boat.

It shouldn't be about money or trophys but the rather the experience. I have hunted big woods before the Texas feeder game and I didn't need AR's to see bucks fight. grin

Best regards to all.

JT

Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: Jim Davis] #2744810 11/12/11 05:08 AM
L
Letsgo Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L

My neighbors were not shooting their limit of deer and then using the meat to feed their families. They were meat hunters that would pass on the 15 does at the feeder to shoot the only little buck that walked out - pretty common theme around the state. When the next season would roll around they would realize they still had a freezer full of venison and give away what they could and dispose of the rest.

Old school mentionality is you must shoot a buck to feel like you had a successful hunt.

Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: JT Evans] #2744812 11/12/11 05:09 AM
J
Jim Davis Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J

i'm a landowner and it doesnt benefit me.

Well sir I wasn't trying to be controversial. Fifteen or Twenty years ago I read where leasing was what needed to happen to improve the quality of deer hunting in Texas. Then we see high fencing and the restriction of the free range of Texas resources oh and there is 8 to 10K entry fee.

Now we have AR's which is a further restriction. Personally I have my standards and don't see the need to kill a buck that is smaller than what I have killed before. I went two years without killing a buck. But a small deer can be a trophy to a kid and this is where we are all missing the boat.

It shouldn't be about money or trophys but the rather the experience. I have hunted big woods before the Texas feeder game and I didn't need AR's to see bucks fight.
grin

Best regards to all.

JT
up

Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: Letsgo] #2744850 11/12/11 05:34 AM
J
JDShellnut Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J

My neighbors were not shooting their limit of deer and then using the meat to feed their families. They were meat hunters that would pass on the 15 does at the feeder to shoot the only little buck that walked out - pretty common theme around the state. When the next season would roll around they would realize they still had a freezer full of venison and give away what they could and dispose of the rest.

Old school mentionality is you must shoot a buck to feel like you had a successful hunt.

I've seen the same thing as well. Same people were buying licenses for their wives and kids and filling their buck tags as well. Most of them were 100"-110" 8 points.

Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: JDShellnut] #2744879 11/12/11 06:02 AM
S
ShaneR21 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Ok after reading some of my post, let me clear some things up. I am by no means a trophy hunter. I just won't shot a buck unless he is better then the last one I shot. I will shoot my two does to get my meat but I hunt a county that allows me to hunt doe all season. They created AR to let the age of the bucks come up. Not only that but before AR people were shooting bucks and that's it. You have to have bucks to breed the does. All the places I have ever hunted or had the privilege of hearing about due to where I use to work, had more then enough does to take several a year. I'm not a fan of AR because it doesn't allow the land owner to manage their land like they want to. Again, a blanket solution is not the way to go. What works in west Texas won't work in east or south Texas.

Shane

It's not a hobby or an obsession. It's a passion, a way of life. It's the way I live my life.

Duck or Bleed
Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: Letsgo] #2744915 11/12/11 06:43 AM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: to2000
The way I look at it is if somebody wants to shoot a small buck then why should it be anybody else's business. I call bs on a kid being thrilled that they have to pass on a buck because it doesn't meet what the government states is a trophy.

Because they know they can pass on a little 90 pound fork horn and most likely will have a shot a bigger buck that is over 13 inches within the same hunt.

And when did a 13 inch buck become a trophy?

In Tyler County, a 13" buck is not only a trophy but a "freak"!!!

I support Cap and Trade - Cap our spending and Trade Obama

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: Seadog] #2744947 11/12/11 09:24 AM
J
Jim Davis Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
the one killed on the road in woodville was a nice 12 (i think) that was about 12" wide. it was a 135 class deer.

Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: Seadog] #2745210 11/12/11 02:10 PM
M
mjkhunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
I got 27 year old son to buy into our lease and start hunting 3 years ago. He has yet to shoot a deer. He saw a nice tall 10 inch wide 6 last weekend that would have been a nice trophy for his first buck. Sorry no can do, AR's. I pretty sure he is giving up hunting after this season because of AR's. That is just sad.

Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: mjkhunter] #2745248 11/12/11 02:30 PM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Just when you are trying to promote our sport, AR's make it harder for people to get an animal!!! Reduce the limit and you save the same amount of young bucks!!! What they are trying to do is growing trophy bucks statewide and East Texas deer genetics isn't there for that!!! All that I've read from the pro-AR people is how much bigger, scorewise their bucks are since AR's implemented!!! Great for you guys - terrific!!! We just DON'T HAVE the GENETICS for that and I'm happy to just be killing a 110" buck and no I don't kill young bucks/does but I would like to kill some of these 12" mature deer I see!!!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: Seadog] #2745276 11/12/11 02:41 PM
M
mjkhunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
But I guess that's one less hunter the trophy hunters will have competing with them for those BC horns. They should like that.

Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: rifleman] #2745400 11/12/11 03:36 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Originally Posted By: michael kotter
Well, I'm new to the THF but have been reading for awhile. Some will slip through the cracks and thats the way it should be. I don't want every buck to be a wall hanger. Trophy's should be just that, a trophy, not the norm. I hunt deer because I like to eat venison. Sorry but I'm getting pretty tired of the trophy hunters imposing their will on all hunters. You do your thing and let the rest of us do our own thing. "Can't we all just get along". Curley, Sig, Seadog, Rifleman, ya'll seem like stand up guys and could hunt with me anyday.

Thank you for the kind words. up

Ditto! up

Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: mjkhunter] #2745426 11/12/11 03:46 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
I got 27 year old son to buy into our lease and start hunting 3 years ago. He has yet to shoot a deer. He saw a nice tall 10 inch wide 6 last weekend that would have been a nice trophy for his first buck. Sorry no can do, AR's. I pretty sure he is giving up hunting after this season because of AR's. That is just sad.

Yup and what if that young brand new to hunting hunter just knew a buck's antlers in his sights were 13" apart, shot, was on cloud 9, heart pumping, only to walk up to the buck and find out he was an inch or two away from being legal. The thoughts that are running through his head are probably bad enough to give him an anxiety attack and defiantly make want to never shoot another deer. Or in my case, a guy's old dad who brought him up deer hunting in the woods of East Texas (not trophy hunting) but just deer hunting legally, has now quit deer hunting because he was too scared himself to shoot a possible illegal buck, because for decades, he never had to worry about antler width. So now, your hunting hero is retired from a sport he loved. That my friends, sucks beyond all sucking. 2cents

Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: Curly] #2745444 11/12/11 03:53 PM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I agree Curly!!!

Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: Curly] #2745461 11/12/11 04:00 PM
J
jmc82 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Curly

Yup and what if that young brand new to hunting hunter just knew a buck's antlers in his sights were 13" apart, shot, was on cloud 9, heart pumping, only to walk up to the buck and find out he was an inch or two away from being legal. The thoughts that are running through his head are probably bad enough to give him an anxiety attack and defiantly make want to never shoot another deer. Or in my case, a guy's old dad who brought him up deer hunting in the woods of East Texas (not trophy hunting) but just deer hunting legally, has now quit deer hunting because he was too scared himself to shoot a possible illegal buck, because for decades, he never had to worry about antler width. So now, your hunting hero is retired from a sport he loved. That my friends, sucks beyond all sucking. 2cents

That does suck.

Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: Seadog] #2745523 11/12/11 04:32 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: Seadog
Originally Posted By: to2000
The way I look at it is if somebody wants to shoot a small buck then why should it be anybody else's business. I call bs on a kid being thrilled that they have to pass on a buck because it doesn't meet what the government states is a trophy.

Because they know they can pass on a little 90 pound fork horn and most likely will have a shot a bigger buck that is over 13 inches within the same hunt.

And when did a 13 inch buck become a trophy?

In Tyler County, a 13" buck is not only a trophy but a "freak"!!!

My deer shot under 13" in the county all weighed in the 180s (one being shot in late Feb) now move up around Chester and it's like you're hunting a different species of deer.

Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: huntandfish] #2745615 11/12/11 05:11 PM
M
MeTxLady Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
We are on MLD at our lease but we as members (20-21 yearly) have agreed (been going on for many, many years now) for our lease rules not to take anything less than 15" or 3.5 years. Last year we started setting aside about 1/3 of our buck tags for culls. They consider a cull a 3.5 yr buck less than 8 pt and less than 15". However sometimes there are exceptins. This year there is a spike with 8" tine on left and two 1" around it with three 1/2"-1" little spikes sticking up where the other long tine should be.He's 2.5 but we got permission to shoot him so now he's on our hit list. So far we have nice deer - I killed a 12pt. 17 1/2 spread last year. 3.5 yr old. My biggest ever! smile
Wish they could do somethin like that with the AR but then you have to rely on a lot of foks to be able to judge age and some don't (IMO) hunt enough to know that.

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems men face."

~ Ronald Reagan
Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: mjkhunter] #2745690 11/12/11 05:47 PM
J
JDShellnut Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
But I guess that's one less hunter the trophy hunters will have competing with them for those BC horns. They should like that.

What is wrong with shooting a doe?

I haven't shot a deer since '08. Why? Because I haven't seen one that was old enough. Still not quitting hunting. Hunting to me is about more than just killing the first buck I see.

Last edited by adam_p; 11/12/11 05:50 PM.
Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: JDShellnut] #2745706 11/12/11 05:53 PM
J
JDShellnut Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
another thing, I started hunting when I was 10 or so and aside from an accidental spike, I didn't shoot a buck until I was 16 or 17.

Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: JDShellnut] #2745714 11/12/11 05:57 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: adam_p
another thing, I started hunting when I was 10 or so and aside from an accidental spike, I didn't shoot a buck until I was 16 or 17.

Some people are just impatient and cry when they dont get there way....they call thereself meat hunters to give them a reason to pull the trigger... bang im done with this thread

Last edited by Navasotbred; 11/12/11 05:57 PM.
Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: Navasot] #2745741 11/12/11 06:11 PM
E
ETX284 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
The problem I have with AR's is that a small land owner CANNOT get rid of the culls. We have 33 acres surrounded by cow pasture. We have ALL of the bedding cover for about a mile around. We also have a deep pond and plenty of acorn trees. The State of Texas has decided that SMALL landowners don't have the right to manage their land.
Just goes to show that BIG $$ gets what THEY WANT.
PS. I am a member of a 3300 acre MLDP type lease in another county. A 5yr old 196lb 8 point was killed there last year with a 12 1/4" spread.

Vegetables are what FOOD EATS! HOOKEM' HORNS!
Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: ETX284] #2745828 11/12/11 07:00 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: ETX284
The problem I have with AR's is that a small land owner CANNOT get rid of the culls. We have 33 acres surrounded by cow pasture. We have ALL of the bedding cover for about a mile around. We also have a deep pond and plenty of acorn trees. The State of Texas has decided that SMALL landowners don't have the right to manage their land.
Just goes to show that BIG $$ gets what THEY WANT.
PS. I am a member of a 3300 acre MLDP type lease in another county. A 5yr old 196lb 8 point was killed there last year with a 12 1/4" spread.

A significant majority of east Texas is owned by small landowners, and therein lies a huge problem. 33 acres is hardly enough to manage ONE DEER, much less a deer herd. I would say, at a minimum, you need 10 times your acreage to attempt any feeble management program. And unless you can amass several adjoining landowners to form a large co-op, like your 3300 acres, you're just spitting in the wind.

My 166 acres in Anderson County doesn't qualify for even one doe permit, yet it's larger than any contiguous property. AND....three neighbors have deer stands and feeders less than 30 yards from my fenceline (2 on the east--one stand touches the fence--and one on the north fence).

Thus, my hunting m.o. is to enjoy wildlife viewing at home in EasTex, and I go out west to hunt on 6400 acres on a 42,000 acre ranch.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: AR rant... Sorry [Re: ETX284] #2745876 11/12/11 07:28 PM
T
to2000 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Adam_p good for you that you chose to hunt 7 years without shooting a buck. Does that make you a smart hunter???? Sounds like to me you need to just watch deer on tv because you arnt interested in shooting one. People watch the idiots on hunting shows and try and learn from them how to hunt. Half of their shows are fake re filmed bs that they get people to believe that is the way their hunt went down. If you prefer to not shoot a buck great for you just saves more for those of us that like to hunt and shoot and don't give a crap about it being a "trophy". Get over you modern day I'm a trophy hunter crap. If somebody wants to shoot a 8in wide 4 point then it shouldn't be anybody else's business. Navasotbreed from your pics. you post I would say you like to pull the trigger just as much as the next guy.

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide