Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Fried Turkey #2735818 11/09/11 07:18 PM
209HUNTER Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
I have never done this before so I need suggestions. How long do y'all cook it per lb and at what temp? Rub, injection, or both and what kind?

The devil made me do it the first time, the second time I did it on my own
Re: Fried Turkey [Re: 209HUNTER] #2735983 11/09/11 08:00 PM
H
Hooligan Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
never done it myself but all I know is make sure it is fully thawed!! Check out youtube, some funny videos about turkey frying accidents.

Militavi Non Sine Gloria
Re: Fried Turkey [Re: Hooligan] #2738171 11/10/11 03:55 AM
Gumbeaux Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
It's easy and perfectly safe if you have some common sense. I have done 4-5 turkeys a year for the past 12 years or so with no issues whatsoever.

I like to use Creole Butter to inject it and put Slap Ya Mama all over it. Leave it out of the fridge for a bit to warm up before you put it in the oil. Don't put it in frozen of course.

Use peanut oil (vegetable oil has too low a flash point and cottonseed oil leaves a district flavor I don't like) and heat it to about 375. Get your bird on the rack, kill your fire, and drop the bird in. That will help prevent a flare up. When the oil settles, fire it back up and hold at 350 for 3.5 min per pound.

When you get ready to pull it out, kill your fire first.

Don't do it on a wooden deck or on any concrete that you don't want stained.

Fried turkey is great, and still moist when you have it as leftovers.

[Linked Image]
Re: Fried Turkey [Re: 209HUNTER] #2747327 11/13/11 02:24 PM
S
Scurvy Dog Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Make sure the turkey is completely thawed! Even if a little bit is frozen it will explode. Trust me! texas

Re: Fried Turkey [Re: Scurvy Dog] #2750567 11/14/11 03:49 PM
donswin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Been at it since '87 when I had some at relatives in So. Louisiana.

I've varied the ingredients over time. Here is what I used last time:

Ingredients:

8 ounces garlic, juiced - 1 1/2 pounds (may be too much for some)
12 ounces onion, juiced, 2-3 large onions
1 cup Worcestershire sauce (adjust to taste)
1 tablespoon Tabasco pepper sauce (adjust to taste)
1 tablespoon salt, some recipes call for 1/4 cup
1 1/2 pounds butter (too buttery for some)
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
24 ounces beer, Shiner Bock (started with Dixie beer but prefer dark)
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 1/2 ounces lemon juice
Up to 60 pounds of turkey, fresh and unbasted (12# bird works best)
1/4 cup honey (optional – late addition to recipe)
1 teaspoon red pepper (optional – late addition to taste)

Notes: for garlic & onion juice, you can buy it in a bottle or use a juicer (watch for tears & do it outside – your wife WILL know).

Directions:

Heat ingredients in a pan until butter melts. Use “chili test” for heat (should have good flavor at first taste followed by a bit of burn).

When cool, inject about 1 oz per pound of turkey. Season outside and cavity liberally with Tony Cachere's seasoning (or Lawrey's Seasoned Salt). Put in a trash bag, seal, and refrigerate at least one night.

For a spicier marinade, add more Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, habanero pepper (dried and ground) and a dash of ultra hot sauce.

Heat 5 gallons of peanut oil to 390 degrees. Add turkey (lower in basket gradually using gloves & hook on a rod). Keep oil to at least 340 degrees - 350 is optimal. Cook about 4 minutes per pound. The bird will stay on the bottom of the pot until almost done. When it floats to the top, cook about 5 to 10 minutes longer (less for smaller birds).

When done, let the bird drain and cool. Then carve and eat or refrigerate.

All ingredients are approximate. Start conservatively with juice and butter then add to taste.

Variations can include orange juice, Dr. Pepper, or wine for liquid instead of beer. These quantities marinated 5 turkeys, 4 game hens, and 4 chickens (about 60 pounds of fowl).

Tools:
Propane heat source large enough to stabilize a large pot and keep the oil hot.
Huge pot for oil (about 40 quart),
strainer basket for pot,
grab hook on long handle to lift strainer or bird (I use a 1 ½” dowel with a large hook),
long stemmed thermometer for oil,
BBQ gloves,
Draining rack with stuff under it to absorb grease & protect concrete from stains (if setting on driveway).
Never use on wood such as deck. Always cook outdoors.

PS: I've even heard some people don't inject at all. Just season the exposed parts and fry. I never met an unhappy frier.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Re: Fried Turkey [Re: donswin] #2752147 11/14/11 11:41 PM
H
HJHAWK Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
This recipe is a brine recipe and it works well for both frying or roasting.....follow directions excactly...you can season out side of bird if you wish for extra flavor on the skin but the brine does all the work flavoring the meat.

Thanksgiving Turkey Brine
6 quarts tap water
1 pound kosher salt
1 cup molasses
2 cups honey
1 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon dried red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon dried sage
Large bunch fresh thyme
2 heads garlic broken into individual cloves, un peeled
5 pounds ice cubes
14 to 18-pound turkey, cleaned, innards removed
In a medium pot, bring 3 quarts of the tap water to a boil over medium heat. Put the kosher salt in a large bowl and slowly (and carefully!) pour the boiling water over the salt. Stir to blend. Add the molasses, honey, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, sage, thyme and garlic to the salt and water mixture. Stir to blend. Add the remaining 3 quarts of cool water. Add the ice to a cooler or bucket large enough to hold the brine and the turkey. Pour the brine over the ice and use a large whisk to blend all of the ingredients. Submerge the turkey, breast side down, in the brine. Make sure the cavity of the bird fills with the liquid as you are submerging it. Cover the cooler and allow the bird to sit in the brine overnight or for about 12 hours.Remove the bird from the brine and dry it thoroughly with thick (absorbent) kitchen towels.

For Frying

Allow to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes prior to cooking. Place the oil into a 28 to 30-quart pot and set over high heat on an outside propane burner with a sturdy structure. Bring the temperature of the oil to 250 degrees F. Once the temperature has reached 250, slowly lower the bird into the oil and bring the temperature to 350 degrees F. Once it has reached 350, lower the heat in order to maintain 350 degrees F. After 35 minutes, check the temperature of the turkey using a probe thermometer. Once the breast reaches 151 degrees F, gently remove from the oil and allow to rest for a minimum of 30 minutes prior to carving. The bird will reach an internal temperature of 161 degrees F due to carry over cooking. Carve as desired.

For Roasting

In a medium pot, bring 3 quarts of the tap water to a boil over medium heat. Put the kosher salt in a large bowl and slowly (and carefully!) pour the boiling water over the salt. Stir to blend.
Add the molasses, honey, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, sage, thyme and garlic to the salt and water mixture. Stir to blend. Add the remaining 3 quarts of cool water. Add the ice to a cooler or bucket large enough to hold the brine and the turkey. Pour the brine over the ice and use a large whisk to blend all of the ingredients.
Submerge the turkey, breast side down, in the brine. Make sure the cavity of the bird fills with the liquid as you are submerging it. Cover the cooler and allow the bird to sit in the brine overnight or for about 12 hours.
Remove the bird from the brine and dry it thoroughly with thick (absorbent) kitchen towels. Take care to wipe inside the cavity as well. Discard the brine. Whisk together the butter and the lemon zest. Gently lift the skin covering 1 breast of the turkey and spread half of the butter right on the meat under the skin. Repeat with the other breast. The butter will add extra moisture and richness as the bird roasts.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Arrange the turkey in a roasting pan fitted with a rack. Put on the lower rack of the oven and roast until the internal temperature of the turkey taken from the thickest part of the thigh reads 170 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, about 3 1/2 hours. Remove the turkey from the oven to a cutting board or serving platter and tent with foil. Allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving and serving.

**HJHAWK**
Re: Fried Turkey [Re: HJHAWK] #2752359 11/15/11 12:43 AM
G
GO REBS Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
We usually grab some cardboard boxes at the liquor store.Find a level spot on the drivway. Break the boxes down flat and set your burner on top of them. This will keep any oil from landing on the driveway.
Inject with Goya Mojo Criollo marinade, crystal hot sauce and olive oil. Season the outside with Adobo with pepper also from Goya.
These seasonings also make the best pork youve ever had too.

GO REBS

GO REBS
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide