Forums46
Topics538,383
Posts9,736,541
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What was your greatest/luckiest shot? Here's mine... [Re: txshntr] #2622771 09/30/11 02:51 PM
C
CleerCreekDC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
By far my luckiest shot. I was hunting on a high fence ranch in Chico and it was a late night we had a couple of cervezas and we were spotlighting. We shine in a field and this cyote was broadside at about 50 yards. I missed him with my deer rifle and he took off running like a bat out of he!!. On the very end of the field at about 250 yards I barked at him and he turned around. I free handed the rifle (slightly tuned up might I ad) and pulled the trigger. Walked up and couldnt beleive it.

Re: What was your greatest/luckiest shot? Here's mine... [Re: CleerCreekDC] #2711585 11/01/11 06:42 PM
I
Inky Doc Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
I
That bug-eyed yote doesn't seem to be having a hard time believing it!
:-)

Re: What was your greatest/luckiest shot? Here's mine... [Re: Hard Knocks] #2711605 11/01/11 06:48 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: Hard Knocks
Apr 12,1991,somewhere in the sandbox.A Frenchy had ditched his aircraft after he lost a wing to a missle from a MAZ 543 TEL.First I heard the plane,then an explosion,and watched the pilot eject.Lucky for him,he dropped in about 2 klicks North East of my position.I knew the Iraqis would come lookin for him,so I stayed put.About 30 min later,I heard the rotor of a UH-60.About the time the first PJ hit the sand,an Iraqi troop transport topped a dune.The canvas went up,and the sound of gunfire drowned out all else.I estimated 700 yds and they were angled away moving about 40 mph.I took a breath,and sent one down the pipe.I do not ever remember hearing the shot or feeling the recoil from my M24A3.I remember watching the truck swerve,roll and spill everybody out 30 seconds later an Apache topped the dune,and cleaned up whatever mess was left.
up

Re: What was your greatest/luckiest shot? Here's mine... [Re: Navasot] #2713851 11/02/11 07:53 AM
D
DIME BOX DEER CAMP Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
up rifle

Re: What was your greatest/luckiest shot? Here's mine... [Re: DIME BOX DEER CAMP] #2716068 11/02/11 11:58 PM
B
Black Smoke Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
My dad and I got on a place a few years back up by saint Jo in montague co we had gotten on their thru one of his friends and a couple of other guys total D-Bags it rolled around to bow season and me and one of the friend of the friends were the only ones who bow hunted so we were all in camp and this fellow had been bragging how he was an ace archer well someone must have been. Lowing smoke up his a$$ cause he couldn't hit squat so we were shooting at my block and this squirrel kept barking at us up in an oak bout 25 yards away from we're shooting so I had enough so I just turned around settled in and let one fly just trying to hit it I literally hit it between the eyes and pinned it up in the tree total luck only thing was I had to climb 20 feet up in the tree to get my arrow

Re: What was your greatest/luckiest shot? Here's mine... [Re: Black Smoke] #2716105 11/03/11 12:05 AM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Coyote trotting across a snow/icy field, from the hood of a truck, from 186 (lasered)..... one shot.

With my Sig P226 9mm. And with witnesses.

Re: What was your greatest/luckiest shot? Here's mine... [Re: Dairy Boy] #2716173 11/03/11 12:21 AM
H
Hill Country Hunter Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: Dairy Boy
I moved to TX from CA about 3 years ago and I hadnt really every hunted anything except squirrels and pigeons. The first morning of deer season I took one of the hired hands with me and my Grandfathers 30-06 that he had given me just before I left to move out here and we went for a drive around the ranch. In the tall brush between 2 pivots on the edge of the ranch up on a hill I saw what looked like a doe so we drove and stopped and I jumped out of the truck and took aim. I knew it was a long shot so I aimed high and when I pulled the trigger we heard a bang and then watched her jump then drop. As we were celebrating my hired hand started yelling and waving in spanish and I just figured he was excited about the shot, until the blood came running down my head. I scoped myself good. Went and retrieved the doe, gutted her out then went to the hospital for stitches. Went back and ranged it later that evening and the shot was 440 yds... I might look like harry potter now with the scar over my eye but It was awesome none the less.

My grandfather passed away 2 weeks before that happened and I cant but feel like he was there with me smiling as I killed my first deer.

up

Psalm 3:3 - But you, O LORD, are a shield around me; you are my glory, the one who holds my head high.
Re: What was your greatest/luckiest shot? Here's mine... [Re: grimm22] #2716198 11/03/11 12:27 AM
H
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: grimm22
Originally Posted By: HuntingTexas
Originally Posted By: Hill Country Hunter
My greatest shot was just last year. It happened to be an average size doe. To tell the story correctly let me recall some history.

Memorial Day weekend 2007 I went to the hospital not feeling well. End result was a quadruple bypass. Spent the summer rehabbing. Ended up missing hunting all year except spring turkey season.

Jump ahead to 2008. The day was July 14, 2008. I had been back to work several months. That day started off normal. After being at work awhile my right arm started hurting and I had a pain in the back of my neck. I finished the day and went home. That night I was having problems walking. I went to the hospital and the next day the MRI said I had a stroke. That day I became disabled. Lost some use of my right side. Yes I was right handed. Not a good day in my life. Thus began a long road ahead of me.

Seasons 2008 thru 2009 were written off. No one hunted in my immediate family. My Father gave up hunting years ago. My FIL always came up with excuses. Several times I thought about selling all my fishing and hunting equipment. The decoys are gathering dust and the boat has become a shade spot for my Lab.

The year 2010 was not a good one in the beginning. My soon to be ex-wife served me with papers and wanted out. Not a good thing when you are going thru therapy. Bright side is I retired my wheel chair and became good friends with my quad-cane. Then I could venture outside with my Lab.

All those years I had been entered dilligently into the TPWD drawn hunts. I was drawn in 2010 for an alligator hunt at Murphree WMA. Even though I had a boat no one seemed wanting to assist me. It is heck being a disabled hunter. So I missed out on a gator hunt.

That same year I was drawn for an either sex deer hunt at Brazos Bend. I was not going to miss that hunt. I had been driving for a while. I had learn to become left handed. Now the challenge was to shoot left handed. Went to the range and shot for the first time since 2007. About a seven inch group at 100 yards. Not bad for one handed.

The morning of the hunt I drove to the park. I had called ahead to let the staff know I was coming and I would need assistance. The staff was great. They took me out for the hunts and helped me into the blind. The blind was nothing more than a circle of concrete mesh and burlap but it felt good to sit in it.

Two days of hunting and no deer but I was still upbeat. The last morning came and I asked for God's Blessing. Something was going to happen I just felt it.

I was sitting in the blind since 5AM and watching the woods come alive. About 7:30 five does came out. Resting my 6MM on the blind I aimed for one of the does and shot. I knew I pulled the shot. When I shot I aimed for the shoulder but hit her in the head. I managed to crawl out of the blind then grab my cane and hobble about seventy yards to where she laid. I had no one to share that moment with but God. I knew he guided my shot. Yes I thanked him.

The staff was very helpful in taking care of my deer. You see knives and balance issues do not mix well. I drove home that afternoon. The next day went to the processor and taxidermist. Of course I had the hide done. That doe is a trophy.

I will never forget that shot. I have one photo of the doe with my cane taken by my cell phone. I just do not know how to post it on here.

Well that is my greatest shot. I still remember that shot as if it was yesterday. rifle deer

All great stories but it just doesn't get much better than this. God is great !!
X2 amazing what can happen when He's in your life

God is indeed great!!!

Psalm 3:3 - But you, O LORD, are a shield around me; you are my glory, the one who holds my head high.
Re: What was your greatest/luckiest shot? Here's mine... [Re: Hill Country Hunter] #2716303 11/03/11 12:50 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Guess my luckiest shot was on my first deer. I got a brand new Winchester model 70 Ranger for Christmas & finally got invited to go hunting. We pulled up to the gate & a herd of deer were running & jumping accross the ranch road behind the gate. The driver told me to shoot, so I jumped out of the truck...shouldered my rifle...& took a shot at the next deer that jumped over the road. It was a nice doe & I hit her in the neck & dropped her right there while she was in mid air jumping the road. It wasn't until I went to get my rifle back out of the truck at camp before I realized that my rear sight was folded down. I made a snap shot using only the front sight lol. I'll never forget that day. Later in life, I also took a pot shot at a rabbit at 100 yrds with my 22 pistol & nailed it right in the head. Nobody could believe it including me lol. A couple of the other guys said, "man, that guy shure is good with that pistol!", I had to laugh as I went to go get him because I new it was total luck.

Re: What was your greatest/luckiest shot? Here's mine... [Re: skinnerback] #2716366 11/03/11 01:06 AM
J
JJSeabrook Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
My first deer too. I was in a stand that consisted of 4 guy wires, a 32 ft. piece of drill stem with succer rod welded on it for a ladder and an old metal tractor seat welded on top of a piece of metal on top of that thing. No rails, no nothing but freezin [censored] wind. I was 7 years old hunting in that thing. Shot a spike that had been playing around under my stand for about a half hour. Didn't realize he had horns at all until the sun got up good. Shot him with my 32 Winchester Special at about 100 yards from the stand, plus elevation for the shot. One of the proudest days of my hunting life. Never climbed up that particular lightning rod stand again. LOL WTH was my Dad thinkin sticking me on top of that thing? No rails at that height? We did lots of things back then that people would go to jail for now for endangering their children. LOL Funny thing is, most of us survived it.

JJ

Re: What was your greatest/luckiest shot? Here's mine... [Re: JJSeabrook] #2716440 11/03/11 01:24 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: JJSeabrook
My first deer too. I was in a stand that consisted of 4 guy wires, a 32 ft. piece of drill stem with succer rod welded on it for a ladder and an old metal tractor seat welded on top of a piece of metal on top of that thing. No rails, no nothing but freezin [censored] wind. I was 7 years old hunting in that thing. Shot a spike that had been playing around under my stand for about a half hour. Didn't realize he had horns at all until the sun got up good. Shot him with my 32 Winchester Special at about 100 yards from the stand, plus elevation for the shot. One of the proudest days of my hunting life. Never climbed up that particular lightning rod stand again. LOL WTH was my Dad thinkin sticking me on top of that thing? No rails at that height? We did lots of things back then that people would go to jail for now for endangering their children. LOL Funny thing is, most of us survived it.

Yessr, you are correct. Somehow we managed to survive lol!

JJ

Re: What was your greatest/luckiest shot? Here's mine... [Re: skinnerback] #2716730 11/03/11 02:32 AM
T
TxAggie10 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I have several memories of incredible shoots from my hunting career, although none as special as Hill Country's story.

Greatest shot ever had to be lining up does at a feeder with my 7MM .08. One dropped, the other went about 20 yards.

Luckiest shot ever had to be my biggest deer to date...146" low fence Mills County. The buck completely caught me off guard as he charged in after a hot doe at 30 yards. He wasn't leaving that doe and I tried to follow him in the scope for about 5 minutes. He finally made one stop in an opening about 85 yards away. He suddendly stopped and looked straight at me. I knew he winded me so it was now or never. Buck fever had me shaking. Squeezed a round aiming right behind the shoulder and he fell over dead. Turns out I hit him perfectly in the neck.

I have a buddy that has world class shooting skills from years of practice. Sitting still trying to aim he can't hit anything to save his life....but 50mph across a plowed field ive seen him kill 5 pigs in 6 shots. He drives, holds the light, aims with his AR, manages to dodge trees and avoid the bumps....at 40-70mph depending on the size of the field. He has only shot his mirror off once!

Texas A&M Association of Former Students
WH10P!
Re: What was your greatest/luckiest shot? Here's mine... [Re: TxAggie10] #2717157 11/03/11 04:08 AM
T
txd33rhunt3r Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I have 2 of the luckiest in my life. My first deer was behind our house when I was about 12. My dad made a deal with mom we wouldn't shoot deer from behind the house unless they were shooters. This one was and it was just at dusk when dad came in told me to grab the 308 and come with him. We went around the house and I leaned up on the fence to scope the deer. He was so far out there that he blended in with grass and the sky and everything. I couldn't see even which way he was pointing but i saw movement so i could tell where he was in general. After what seemed like 15 minutes i finally saw what i thought must be his head drop down and come up in rapid succession so i aimed a little further back from the movement and squeezed. He dropped right where he stood. 345 yds from where we stood to where he lay. He has been mounted since then and is still the biggest deer I have ever killed.

The other was with a nylon 66 .22and a old tasco scope. I missed a turkey that was last in line walking in front of me maybe 30 yds away. I was standing right in the middle of the road and the turkey jumped up and flew but instead of going through the trees like the other 5 in front of him he turned and went right down the road in front of me. I just shouldered and snapped off a shot and he tumbled out of the sky about 50 yds in front of me. I heard my dad back at camp hollering "out of the f'ing sky!!!!" It was straight luck.

Last edited by txd33rhunt3r; 11/03/11 04:10 AM.

Re: What was your greatest/luckiest shot? Here's mine... [Re: TxAggie10] #2718750 11/03/11 06:56 PM
H
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: TxAggie10
I have several memories of incredible shoots from my hunting career, although none as special as Hill Country's story.

Greatest shot ever had to be lining up does at a feeder with my 7MM .08. One dropped, the other went about 20 yards.

Luckiest shot ever had to be my biggest deer to date...146" low fence Mills County. The buck completely caught me off guard as he charged in after a hot doe at 30 yards. He wasn't leaving that doe and I tried to follow him in the scope for about 5 minutes. He finally made one stop in an opening about 85 yards away. He suddendly stopped and looked straight at me. I knew he winded me so it was now or never. Buck fever had me shaking. Squeezed a round aiming right behind the shoulder and he fell over dead. Turns out I hit him perfectly in the neck.

I have a buddy that has world class shooting skills from years of practice. Sitting still trying to aim he can't hit anything to save his life....but 50mph across a plowed field ive seen him kill 5 pigs in 6 shots. He drives, holds the light, aims with his AR, manages to dodge trees and avoid the bumps....at 40-70mph depending on the size of the field. He has only shot his mirror off once!

up

Re: What was your greatest/luckiest shot? Here's mine... [Re: Hill Country Hunter] #2718978 11/03/11 07:46 PM
M
mrcrayc Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
South Texas
600 yds
5 shots
2 days of searching
found 10 point 125 bc found because of coyotes and mexican eagles
luck.

Re: What was your greatest/luckiest shot? Here's mine... [Re: 1FowlHntR] #2719041 11/03/11 07:59 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Lower Greenville avenue in Dallas drinking margaritas outside.I grabbed a flour tortilla and frisbied it across the street at some pigeons on a window ledge.The tortilla crosses greenville and gently sits down on the window ledge just like I had imagined in my mind.Unbelievable.A guy at a table next to us say's, "I bet you can't do that again",I tell him "I bet your right" and go back to drinking my margarita.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: What was your greatest/luckiest shot? Here's mine... [Re: Erathkid] #2719366 11/03/11 09:43 PM
T
TAT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Lower Greenville avenue in Dallas drinking margaritas outside.I grabbed a flour tortilla and frisbied it across the street at some pigeons on a window ledge.The tortilla crosses greenville and gently sits down on the window ledge just like I had imagined in my mind.Unbelievable.A guy at a table next to us say's, "I bet you can't do that again",I tell him "I bet your right" and go back to drinking my margarita.

If you were in lower greenville that guy behind you probably wanted you to throw something on him! rofl barf

Last edited by TAT; 11/03/11 09:43 PM.

It's not how you fall, It's how you get up.
Re: What was your greatest/luckiest shot? Here's mine... [Re: TAT] #2719414 11/03/11 09:58 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Was sittin on a water hole in some thick cover tryin to get me some bacon with my bow...had been takin alot off of this hole for the last week. it was at least 95degrees and only about 10 minutes before it was completly dark....i was about to call it a night and herd somethin movin in slow...once it got to the edge of the water hole i realized it was a big bobcat comin to get a drink and i had him at 30 yrds...turned the light on to my pins drew back and watched the lummeknock go right in the sweet spot...he jumped about 10ft in the air and slowly walked off....came back the next mornin and he hadnt made it 30yrds and crashed....wnt ever forget this one

Re: What was your greatest/luckiest shot? Here's mine... [Re: Navasot] #2720341 11/04/11 03:15 AM
G
GUTIT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Not mine, but my son. I get invited to many vendor appreciation shoots and hunts. Years ago when my son was 8 I took him to a skeet shoot with a huge vendor. Owens Corning to be exact. We were shooting rounds warming up and in front of about 200 people. Tournament came, I got 2nd and won a Beretta 390 and then they had a father son shoot after. I pop off and bet my son to a shoot off, he pipes up and says "Yes Sir, but if I win, I get your new Beretta 390". The whole crowd hears the challenge and get on me to man up. I bet him and we shoot even for 3 rounds and then I will be damned if I did not miss a double (shot WAY too quick). Logan threw up his Remington 1100 2o gauge and powdered both my clays after they were out about 50 yards. I quietly stepped down and handed him the gun to the jeers of the crowd. Proud as hell that day though, Gun is in our safe to this day, 7 years later and I never will live that day down.

Stronghold Construction Group
Commercial and Residential Project Management
Managing all your construction needs
Kent@StrongholdConstructionGroupDOTcom

Re: What was your greatest/luckiest shot? Here's mine... [Re: TAT] #2720507 11/04/11 05:05 AM
G
GWW Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
Originally Posted By: TAT
Originally Posted By: Erathkid

If you were in lower greenville that guy behind you probably wanted you to throw something on him! rofl barf

rofl roflmao rofl

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide