Print Thread
Beating the dead horse.... #2707535 10/31/11 02:07 PM
T
TXHC Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Well with the season just a few days away and the fact that I am late on the topic of boat blinds I would like here yalls opinions on which yall use or where I can find a good one that wont break the bank. I dont need a paragraph of description (unless you want to provide one) just a title or specific model and I will research it. Thanx guys for helping me "be the dead horse" on this topic.

IF I DONT SUCEED I WILL DIE TRYING
Re: Beating the dead horse.... [Re: TXHC] #2707556 10/31/11 02:11 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Save money, go buy camo netting, park the boat away from where you're hunting, cover the boat with the netting, and go back and hunt away from your boat.

There is not really enough cover in 99% of Texas lakes to effectively hunt out of a boat blind. It stands out entirely too much. Especially this year with every lake in Texas being low.

Re: Beating the dead horse.... [Re: Cochise] #2707708 10/31/11 02:55 PM
T
TXHC Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Yeah this I know from scouting. The problem I am having right now is even getting the shore on a few lakes due to sinking 3-4 ft in mudd. My old man wants to do some hunting this year but cant hunt out of a layout and I dont own a retreiver so I figured I would put a blind on the boat and take my chances. Might fool a few birds enough to make a few hunts exciting for him

IF I DONT SUCEED I WILL DIE TRYING
Re: Beating the dead horse.... [Re: TXHC] #2707731 10/31/11 03:02 PM
L
LuckyDucker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
park the boat... use a layout blind.

Re: Beating the dead horse.... [Re: TXHC] #2707735 10/31/11 03:03 PM
R
Rob Robertson Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: TXHC
Yeah this I know from scouting. The problem I am having right now is even getting the shore on a few lakes due to sinking 3-4 ft in mudd. My old man wants to do some hunting this year but cant hunt out of a layout and I dont own a retreiver so I figured I would put a blind on the boat and take my chances. Might fool a few birds enough to make a few hunts exciting for him

Yep This season on the lake I hunt is going to suck. Like you said the mud at the waters edge is deep. Im using a layout boat painted to match the mud. Getting it out there in my Prodrive.

Sherwin williams matched the color for me.

Re: Beating the dead horse.... [Re: Rob Robertson] #2707798 10/31/11 03:26 PM
1 Year Wonder Offline
Tracker
Tracker
.......funny thing is I've seen a boat blind stick out like a sore thumb and still fool ducks.

I'd give it a shot.

I have an Avery blind and I have no complaints.
Put a shout out on the various waterfowl sites and perhaps find a good used one for sale.

The Wonder

Piles-O-Mallards TM

All posts made by the Wonder are a lie, tale, fib or some other stretch of the truth.

Re: Beating the dead horse.... [Re: Rob Robertson] #2707961 10/31/11 04:22 PM
fanatiquack Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Nice setup!

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Beating the dead horse.... [Re: fanatiquack] #2708594 10/31/11 07:34 PM
C
chazBo Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
hey rob
is that blind built specific for that boat?
I have an old pirogue that could use one of those....

Re: Beating the dead horse.... [Re: chazBo] #2708647 10/31/11 07:53 PM
R
Ridn9high Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Rob,
I pretty sure I might know that area. Lol. Bet the mud is pretty nasty if it's the same spot I'm thinking.

Re: Beating the dead horse.... [Re: chazBo] #2708699 10/31/11 08:05 PM
R
Rob Robertson Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: chazBo
hey rob
is that blind built specific for that boat?
I have an old pirogue that could use one of those....

Yes. Its the cover Momarsh make for there Fatboy DP.

Re: Beating the dead horse.... [Re: Ridn9high] #2708710 10/31/11 08:07 PM
R
Rob Robertson Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Ridn9high
Rob,
I pretty sure I might know that area. Lol. Bet the mud is pretty nasty if it's the same spot I'm thinking.

Yes I bet its the spot You thinking. During teal season I turned my Push pole around and stuck all 12 feet of the handle in the mud. Never touched nothing. I climb out of my Prodrive into the momarsh. Never get out of either Boat.

Re: Beating the dead horse.... [Re: Rob Robertson] #2708753 10/31/11 08:21 PM
S
shutduck Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Rob Robertson
Rob,

Yes I bet its the spot You thinking. During teal season I turned my Push pole around and stuck all 12 feet of the handle in the mud. Never touched nothing. I climb out of my Prodrive into the momarsh. Never get out of either Boat.

sounds kind of dangerous but it also sounds like you know what you are doing

Re: Beating the dead horse.... [Re: shutduck] #2708766 10/31/11 08:24 PM
R
Rob Robertson Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: shutduck
Rob,

60 years of Silt makes for some deep mud.

Re: Beating the dead horse.... [Re: Rob Robertson] #2708871 10/31/11 08:57 PM
C
chazBo Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
rob didn't you pull someBODy out of that mud a while back? I'm guessing you are the guy that told that story on the refuge.....please tell again(
lake name not needed)

Re: Beating the dead horse.... [Re: Rob Robertson] #2708872 10/31/11 08:57 PM
M
mnsherick Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: shutduck
Rob,

60 years of Silt makes for some deep mud.

Desperate lake levels call for desperate measures...that pic is just sad...

Looks the same at 2 or 3 of my spots as well. Going to have to think "outside" of the boat/brush all season this year.

-Matt

Re: Beating the dead horse.... [Re: mnsherick] #2709189 10/31/11 11:03 PM
S
sunrisesuperman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I agree that if given the choice, I will ALWAYS hunt away from the boat.

But.... There are situations where a boat blind is the only option. hunting with fidgety kids, older folks, high water that makes the edges of the buckbrush too deep to stand in, birds setting up on the outside edges of hydrilla beds 100's of yrds from the bank, and the list goes on.

I've hunted from a boat blind in all the above situations and killed birds. My personal favorite is the Avery Quickset because it's durable, easy to raise and lower, and can be modified to fit just about any boat.

With that said, this is the blind I've helped a few buddies build that were do-it-yourselfers or trying to save money. Works great and costs < $200. In one, we just left off the top flapper thingies and used only the larger 2 bows.

Scissor Blind

Hope the link doesn't get me banned. eeks333

Re: Beating the dead horse.... [Re: chazBo] #2709812 11/01/11 02:24 AM
R
Rob Robertson Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: chazBo
rob didn't you pull someBODy out of that mud a while back? I'm guessing you are the guy that told that story on the refuge.....please tell again(
lake name not needed)

Here is a post from the Refuge writen by George Crane.

Yentzen and the Human Head

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of you are familiar with a poster nicnamed Yentezn. His real name is Rob Robertson and he works for his families' meat prossing business in Marietta, Oklahoma. If you have ever bought Robertson's beaf jerkey at a Loves store you can rest assured that Rob has licked every piece to make sure the seasoning is 'just right'. Now if you know Rob you may have a tendency to doubt this story because, as we all know, he has a strange attitude about telling the truth. I put it to you that this story is so bizarre that even Rob couldn't dream it up.
Several years ago Rob had a little airboat. Nothing earth shattering, just a jon boat with a Panther airdrive bolted to it. It made a nice little boat until the two stroke motor vibrated the whole thing to pieces. Since Rob hunts the mud flats at lake Texoma, he spent the summer running around the lake testing the boat. Now if you have never been to Texoma, I should explain that the lake has been silting in since the day it was built (why do you think the Red River is red?). In fact several miles of lake that was thirty feet deep are now either dry land or shallow mud flats (the people who make lake maps haven't caught on to this). That means that you are standing on thirty feet of silt. The bottom comes in several flavors: hard sand, quicksand, moderat mud, and (my personal favorite) somthing the consistency of bottomless butterschotch pudding.
One day Rob was cruising down the mud flats and rounded the point into the river channel, when up the river he saw three fisherman pushing a boat through a shallow spot in the channel. As he approached the men Rob saw, out of the corner of his eye, a human head sitting on the mud. Now human heads are nothing to git excited about (after all this is Oklahoma) and Rob was about to pass the head by when, to his supprise, the head came to life and seemed to be screaming at him (you can't really hear anything in an airboat). A human head with some life left in it IS unusual, so Rob swung around and got as close to the head as he could without getting stuck.
It seemed the head had been in the boat with the other fishermen when the river had gotten too shallow for the motor to run. Pushing the boat had been to much work for this genius so he had decided to wade to shore and walk on dry land. BIG MISTAKE!!! This is where head met butterscotch pudding. The head had been treading mud for fifteen minutes and was nearly exausted when Rob came along. To make matters worse, the head's buddies were having a great laugh while he is drownding in mud.
Now Rob (being the great humanitarian that he is) would have cranked up and driven off but there were witnesses present, so he threw the head a rope. Much to Rob's surprise, the human head was attached to an enormous human body. Rob described the incedent as trying to pull a three hundred pound greased pig into a tippy jon boat with no help from the pig!
After that incident Rob swore he would never rescue another human head. In fact, he would just run right over them and keep on going (who says Okies are dumb?). So all you human heads out there beware, cause Rob and his prodrive are coming to get you!!!

Merry Christmas Rob

Re: Beating the dead horse.... [Re: Rob Robertson] #2709875 11/01/11 02:36 AM
G
goodnight 2 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
G
Hunting away from your boat would be fine if you left it at the ramp but how do you guys feel if you've set up already and a guy parks his boat close to where you've set up in order to move on down the shore himself?

Re: Beating the dead horse.... [Re: goodnight 2] #2709939 11/01/11 02:50 AM
R
Rob Robertson Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: goodnight 2
Hunting away from your boat would be fine if you left it at the ramp but how do you guys feel if you've set up already and a guy parks his boat close to where you've set up in order to move on down the shore himself?

I NEVER set up anywhere someone can Downwind Me. With their boat or their blind.

Re: Beating the dead horse.... [Re: Rob Robertson] #2709981 11/01/11 02:58 AM
R
Rob Robertson Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Here is a Thread on the Refuge of a Rescue mission I went on.

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=763739&highlight=yentzen

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide