Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
NightVision vs. ND3 or ND5 vs. Hawglight #1751877 10/16/10 03:49 PM
G
GWTX Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
Hi folks, I'm new to this forum(as you can tell), but I've been enjoying reading the hog hunting articles. I live in the country, and have a major hog problem,especially after a rain.
Sometimes I think I'd rather have a drought than put up with the hogs, armadillo's, skunks, badgers, gophers, and everything else that comes and digs holes after a rain smile
I'm currently hunting(actually I shoot em off my patio sometimes)with an older "ranch rifle(223)", and a very heavy Brinkmann rechargeable spot light. Not a very accurate combination, it's like shooting a rifle with one hand. The old ruger is not real accurate to start with(especially shooting cheap ammo), and neither am I, but I can't take much recoil shooting one handed, and I like having 20 rounds for follow up shots. I average about 30 hogs a year(wet year) without feeding, or even going out hunting them. I want to outfit a setup specifically for shooting hogs at night. The other rifles I own and would consider using for this would be : Sako finnbear bull barrel 25-06(very heavy),,, a Smith & Wesson model 1500 in 7mag(very light,considerable recoil) ,, a Remmy 700 ADL 243(probably the one I'll use). I don't hunt em for meat, I ain't gonna touch em if I can avoid it. smile
The rifles all have older scopes which are no longer very clear and sharp. I have some cheaper scopes(BSA,Simmons) which being low power(4x, 3-9) work fairly well at night with the spotlight, and I would probably use one of those with the ND3 to save some money. I'm considering (1) Gen 1 night vision, (2) ND3 laser, or (3) Hawglight Destroyer with a new BSA Catseye 3.5-10x50 scope. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Hawglight and a new scope, but I really haven't been able to find out much about the lasers. Do they do more than "light up the eyes" like the advertisements say? Which would be better for "scanning" a pasture? I have stock tank about 200 yards away, and the hogs travel through that area frequently, but I can barely see them with my spotlight. I'm wondering if the ND3 would work well enough at 150-200 yds to tell the difference between a hog and a calf smile I can't afford to go "whole hog" on this deal, I'm looking to stay around the same cost as a Gen1 night vision rig. I can do the ND3 on my current scope for under $300. The ND5 for about $400.
The Hawglight & Catseye would be about $275, night vision around $500. Sorry for the long post. I'd appreciate any and all comments, advise, and info on the subject.
Thanks again for the great website.

Last edited by Sniper John; 10/25/10 12:18 AM.

"When a man's ways please the Lord, HE makes even his enemies to be at peace with him" Prov 16:7
Re: NightVision vs. ND3 or ND5 vs. Hawglight [Re: GWTX] #1752247 10/16/10 08:54 PM
L
luvthumhogs Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
My opinion- the Nd3 & 5 are junk- Well great lights but they seem to scare the animals more than anything.
Go to www.texasboars.com they have a good selection of the best lights for your purpose.

Member TBB (Tactical Boar Busters)
life member NAHC
Re: NightVision vs. ND3 or ND5 vs. Hawglight [Re: luvthumhogs] #1753394 10/17/10 02:37 PM
T
TxYoteHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: luvthumhogs
My opinion- the Nd3 & 5 are junk- Well great lights but they seem to scare the animals more than anything.
Go to www.texasboars.com they have a good selection of the best lights for your purpose.

You say "they are junk because they scare animals more than anything". Have you actually held the light, hunted with the light and found in YOUR experience that it scares the animals or have you just been reading and repeating some of what you have seen?
I actually own the ND-5 and have not found that to be the case. I've been using the cylops red lens for a couple of years and recently started using the ND-5. It's much easier to handle and you can see much easier with it than the red lens. Still trying to decide whether or not to get the ND-3 x 50 to mount on my scope.

Re: NightVision vs. ND3 or ND5 vs. Hawglight [Re: luvthumhogs] #1753571 10/17/10 04:48 PM
J
jeredpilot Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
luvthumhogs said:
>>>>>>>> My opinion- the Nd3 & 5 are junk- Well great lights but they seem to scare the animals more than anything.
Go to www.texasboars.com they have a good selection of the best lights for your purpose. <<<<<<<<<<

How do you truly have an opinion unless you have actually used the ND3 or ND5. Maybe you have actually used them; if so, my apologies. I do however doubt it because I have used the ND3x50 and have found it to illuminate very well and have an extremely long range. I have only had it a few days but I think it has real potential. So far I have only used it with a 50% moon or more but was really surprised that it actually helped with visibility more than expected. I guess after reading that the regular ND3 was very limited in moonlight I was happy to find the ND3x50 did work better than expected in moonlight. As I use ND3x50 more and more I will try and update those who are interested.

My question is how does the ND3x50 compare with the ND5? Do they make a good combination? Please, opinions from people who actually know; ie people who have actually used them.

Jered
Lubbock, Texas

Re: NightVision vs. ND3 or ND5 vs. Hawglight [Re: jeredpilot] #1753750 10/17/10 07:01 PM
T
TxYoteHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
The ND-5 is strictly a hand held light. There are no mounts for use on the rifle. My thoughts are that I can use the ND-5 hand held for scouting around the fields rather than waiving the rifle around. I've held it on top of my binoculars and looked way past 200-250 yards and have been pleased with the ND-5 so far. And, I wanted some time to check out the lighting itself before I spent the money on the 3x50. I believe they would both be beneficial together. I've used a red lens cyclops in my blind for the last couple of years and the Laser Genetics is definitely way better than that set up. Plus this allows me to either stay in the blind or walk the fields if I want to. Keep us posted on what you think about the 3x50 also.

Re: NightVision vs. ND3 or ND5 vs. Hawglight [Re: TxYoteHunter] #1754217 10/17/10 10:30 PM
J
jeredpilot Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Wayne,

I want to buy the ND5 and understand it is not meant to be mounted to a rifle. Before I do I would like to see it in action though. I have been using the ND3x50 as a flashlight so far due to the fact that my 30mm mount has been backordered from SWFA. I would just like to see how the two perform differently. The ND3, being a Designator and the ND5 being an Illuminator. Is there indeed a considerable difference in the Illumination / Designation properties? It would be nice to see the ND5 in action before dropping more $$.

Jered

Re: NightVision vs. ND3 or ND5 vs. Hawglight [Re: jeredpilot] #1754983 10/18/10 02:57 AM
T
TxYoteHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Without actually using or seeing the ND3 in the field I can't really answer that. I have looked at the ND3 in the store and had it on but under bright lights of course. We each have one and wonder about the other. I'd like to find someone close to me in DFW area to compare them too.

Re: NightVision vs. ND3 or ND5 vs. Hawglight [Re: TxYoteHunter] #1766073 10/21/10 08:13 PM
G
GWTX Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
UPDATE:
I decided(finally) on a Redfield Revolution 3-9x50 accu range.
Really looks like a well made, easy viewing scope. Got new Leupold rings and bases, mounted, bore sighted, first shot at 50 yds was 1 1/2 inches low, windage DEAD ON. I ordered the Hawglight red destroyer, should be here in a day or two.
I hope the ND3x40&50's work out, maybe I can afford one someday.
I'll post the final results in case anyone is interested, but it would suit me just fine if I never got to shoot at another hog on my property. I'll find something else to shoot smile

"When a man's ways please the Lord, HE makes even his enemies to be at peace with him" Prov 16:7
Re: NightVision vs. ND3 or ND5 vs. Hawglight [Re: GWTX] #1767207 10/22/10 03:20 AM
C
CatfishJr. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I too have been debating on night vision and the ND3, Thought I had settled and decided to just save some money up and buy the nigh vision scope i wanted till today. I made a stop by Ammo Depot near Caddo Mills, Tx and they have the ND3 on display. After fooling around with it for a bit I talked to a guy who worked their, he stated that he had his doubts it would work but bought one anyways. But says he gives it two thumbs up, said his feeder is set up at 132 yards from his stand and can clearly make out any animal under, stated he has shot many hogs and not one has seemed to be spooked by the light, said he would also feel comfortable taking a shot up to 200 yards with it. He did mention that it needs hand warmers taped to it if it is below 40*

As for me and my house, we will serve The Lord- Joshua 24:15
Re: NightVision vs. ND3 or ND5 vs. Hawglight [Re: CatfishJr.] #1770752 10/23/10 02:06 PM
G
GWTX Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
Update:
Got the hawglight:) It works very well. I mounted it on the scope, but I'm getting a lot of "backflash?", especially at higher magnification? Never had that prob before,cause I only had low power scopes. Mounted it using the barrel mount, and that eliminated the backflash prob. My rifle,(rem 700)still has the front sight on it, and I'm thinking that may be part of the problem ?? I may try to remove it, and try the scope mount again. The rifle is much more balanced that way. The light does what it is advertised to do, and more. I'm satisfied with it, but I would like to see how the white led would work. I don't think it would spook the animals around here too much.
I've used my 2 million cp brinkmann so much, the deer don't pay it a lot of attention, and if the pigs are "rooting" they don't either. I'm accustomed to "how the eyes look" with a white light.
The red light makes everything look a little different.
I noticed last night, they got a little nervous with the red light.?
It lights up eyes beyond 200 yds.!, and at 200 yds I can make out the figure of a deer, if I try real hard. I still need to fine tune the eye piece on my scope, but it's easy enough to tell what kind of eyes you're looking at. At 100 to 130 yds it's clear as a bell. Good product, thanks Robert.

Re: NightVision vs. ND3 or ND5 vs. Hawglight [Re: GWTX] #1770792 10/23/10 02:46 PM
S
SLT Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Check out the reviews om the ND3 and 5 they do not work in temps below 50 degrees from what I have read.

Anyone can own a fancy gun but can you shoot it ?
Re: NightVision vs. ND3 or ND5 vs. Hawglight [Re: SLT] #1771247 10/23/10 07:24 PM
G
GWTX Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
I've read a LOT about the laser genetics products. Of course, some of it is advertising, but I have not read whether or not the cold temp problem has been addressed in the newer 3X40,and 3X50 gun mount models. The 3X40 is the one I would be interested in, if I were to win the lottery(I don't play). I think it may be a while before the "jury is in" on those products.
What about the $$ "flashlights" $$, like the Tiablo,Fenix, etc.,
Are there any of those that will light up a hog at 200 yds well enough to confidently shoot it? Thanks for the reply.

Re: NightVision vs. ND3 or ND5 vs. Hawglight [Re: GWTX] #1771561 10/23/10 10:38 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
We used one two weekends ago sub 50 and it was fine.......

I think a lot of this is internet lore.... we'll know soon enough; 4 of us have them for hog guns...

Re: NightVision vs. ND3 or ND5 vs. Hawglight [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1771704 10/23/10 11:54 PM
S
SLT Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
If I'm going to spend that amount if money on a green flashlight I am going to read the reviews and watch the videos. As far as internet "lore" see for yourself. I have read several different reviews about people wrapping hand warmers around them trying to get the light to work, the company is aware of this call them like I did and see.

Re: NightVision vs. ND3 or ND5 vs. Hawglight [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1771888 10/24/10 01:35 AM
G
GWTX Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
We used one two weekends ago sub 50 and it was fine.......

I think a lot of this is internet lore.... we'll know soon enough; 4 of us have them for hog guns...

Uh,,you used one what? Flashlight, or ND3, or ?
Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand.

Last edited by GWTX; 10/24/10 01:36 AM.

Re: NightVision vs. ND3 or ND5 vs. Hawglight [Re: GWTX] #1772049 10/24/10 03:20 AM
S
SLT Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
On their website it says in cold weather you have to wrap hand warmers around the unit put in warm or room temp batteries and turn it on before you go outside. If it still does not work take more batteries and rotate them out. All of this = JUNK !! Dont waste your money !!

Re: NightVision vs. ND3 or ND5 vs. Hawglight [Re: SLT] #1774031 10/25/10 03:18 AM
J
jeredpilot Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
I have used my ND3x50 a little more now. The full moon is still a big nuisance.

I used it for about a 30-45 minutes last night and the temp as around 58. Absolutely no problems with it. As far as range goes I estimate no problems locating and shooting WITH FULL MOON to 120 yards with ease. Maybe 150 or 180 yds with full moon. Of course the laser on the finest setting will reflect off of a license plate at 1-1/2 miles. I was using it somewhere around or below the mid range 'aperture' adjustment. I am getting more and more confident about it. Jury is still out though.

I am using a 3.5-12x50 30mm tube scope.

Jered

Re: NightVision vs. ND3 or ND5 vs. Hawglight [Re: jeredpilot] #1774715 10/25/10 02:37 PM
G
GWTX Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
Thanks Jered, Please keep us updated as you gain experience.
I have a location with hog traffic that is almost impossible to get any closer than 200 yds. I can see'em with a spotlight($10 at Lowes), but it's hard to get a good steady aim while holding the light, and the hogs start moving after a few seconds with the spotlight on them.
If I can't positively ID a hog at 200 yds with the laser genetics devices, then I'll have to find a way to use the spotlight, and save 5 or 6 hundred dollars smile
Thanks again,,, Gary

Re: NightVision vs. ND3 or ND5 vs. Hawglight [Re: GWTX] #1777193 10/26/10 03:16 AM
S
SLT Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Wait until it get cold outside and let us know how it works. Cold like 32 deg. Thanks

Re: NightVision vs. ND3 or ND5 vs. Hawglight [Re: jeredpilot] #1777565 10/26/10 12:17 PM
T
TxYoteHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: jeredpilot
I have used my ND3x50 a little more now. The full moon is still a big nuisance.

I was using the ND-5 this weekend and the full moon does get to be a pain in the tail at times. The ND-5 light is much better in total darkness. Temps only got down into the lower 50's. I hit a couple of hills with the rangefinder before it got dark just to check distances. Once it got dark the moon would get behind the clouds now and then and I'd hit the far hills with the light to see how it worked. With the light adjusted to about halfway between the largest and smallest circle, and using my binoculars, I could see very well off to about 300 yards and make out some cows laying under the trees. Out to about 400+ I could see but had nothing to try to make out and doubt that my old eyes could have done it anyway.
I like the ND-5 up. It does what it is supposed to and what I hoped it would do. Now I just need to save up for the ND-3x50 to mount on the scope.

Re: NightVision vs. ND3 or ND5 vs. Hawglight [Re: TxYoteHunter] #2695046 10/26/11 09:01 PM
G
GWTX Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
I have had the "Destroyer" for a year now, and I very satisfied with it. I have shot around 24 hogs, anywhere from 100 to 190 yards in pitch darkness. Haven't had any problems yet, still using the rechargeable batteries that came with it. Another advantage I've discovered is the bugs don't bother me like they did with the regular spotlight. The red LED seems to almost have a "calming" effect on some animals. Have shot a few coyotes with it, and it made them nervous, but they didn't panic. I have a low end night vision monocular, and I can look through it with the hog light for an "illuminator" and it's like "green daylight for about 300 to 400 yards. Sure would like to see a comparison between the ND 3x50 and a hawglight destroyer.

Re: NightVision vs. ND3 or ND5 vs. Hawglight [Re: GWTX] #2701119 10/28/11 04:30 PM
W
West Fork Armory Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
Just get a nightvision scope. We have a few refurb Gen 1 scopes for $356.38 shipped. These are good out to 100 yards under a 1/4 moon and even further with a brighter moon. Best of all, the is no chance a hog will detect you when you use it.

Re: NightVision vs. ND3 or ND5 vs. Hawglight [Re: jeredpilot] #2701742 10/28/11 08:08 PM
S
Skylar Mac Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: jeredpilot
Wayne,

I want to buy the ND5 and understand it is not meant to be mounted to a rifle. Before I do I would like to see it in action though. I have been using the ND3x50 as a flashlight so far due to the fact that my 30mm mount has been backordered from SWFA. I would just like to see how the two perform differently. The ND3, being a Designator and the ND5 being an Illuminator. Is there indeed a considerable difference in the Illumination / Designation properties? It would be nice to see the ND5 in action before dropping more $$.

Jered

The ND5 is brighter in my opinion. But it is a flashlight.
Which ring mount did you order and I'll look into to that for you.
With the ND3 you can make the beam size, from a 1/2 dollar size to about 4' in diameter at about 10 yards.
I prefer the ND3 over the 5 because I can use it in mulitply appications.
It comes with a picatinny mount for the AR, a mount for your binos and a mount for your scope.
It's the best value in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: SLT
Check out the reviews om the ND3 and 5 they do not work in temps below 50 degrees from what I have read.

It's the battery, you have to buy the insulated version. "Sub-zero"

I have never seen the ND3 to ever bother anything I tried to look at. Spotlights and Redlights yes, you have a second to lock onto it and shoot. But the ND3 works.

Re: NightVision vs. ND3 or ND5 vs. Hawglight [Re: Skylar Mac] #2701824 10/28/11 08:34 PM
W
West Fork Armory Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
The one thing I've noticed about the ND3 is the scope mounts are really crappy. I have a lot of hunters bring those laser light out all the time. After trying out a few different NV scopes in person, they usually go home with a new night vision scope and plans to craigslist the ND3.

Re: NightVision vs. ND3 or ND5 vs. Hawglight [Re: West Fork Armory] #2701850 10/28/11 08:45 PM
S
Skylar Mac Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
I'm not saying that it's a NV killer.
But there are quite a few guys that cannot justtify investing that kind of money. I have one on my .308 and having had any sort of issue. I love NV as much as the next guy, But I couldn't afford to buy another Raptor.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide