Forums46
Topics538,349
Posts9,736,142
Members87,082
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Thoughts on shooting does with fawns? [Re: Spacemonkey] #2698605 10/27/11 10:54 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
If it was clearly a fawn that was dropped late, I'd pass. If the spots are gone, fire away.

Re: Thoughts on shooting does with fawns? [Re: Spacemonkey] #2698618 10/27/11 11:00 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Our fawn crop is spread out some this year as well. We have some small spotted fawns with their mothers but most have lost their spots and will be fine taking care of themselves.

Re: Thoughts on shooting does with fawns? [Re: KG68] #2698741 10/27/11 11:46 PM
M
MELackey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
of you can do like my wife's grandfather does. Leave the doe and shoot the fawn / yearling. Then when the 2nd fawn /yearling is looking around trying to figure out what the heck just happened, shoot it also.

Re: Thoughts on shooting does with fawns? [Re: UTMallard] #2698833 10/28/11 12:11 AM
T
TxYoteHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I pass on does with fawns. It's tough sometimes.

Re: Thoughts on shooting does with fawns? [Re: TxYoteHunter] #2698914 10/28/11 12:32 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
After Thanksgiving I shoot any doe that is standing if I need to shoot any adult doe. Fawns by this time are large enough to make it on their own. I try to shoot doe with fawns first. Why? The fawns and the younger doe should be your best genetics in the herd if you like your bucks that are of breeding age. Leaving those younger doe and fawns is more beneficial to the ranch genetics and management. Shooting doe with fawns slows production down if you are over CC. Shooting a doe with fawns means the fawns will stay closer to their home territory longer in life. Big benefit if buck fawns keeping them on the ranch. This year I would target doe with fawns specificly since the ones that raised fawns will be in worse shape than those that did not. Leaving doe without fawns means they should be in better shape, breed sooner and stand a better chance of raising fawns.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Thoughts on shooting does with fawns? [Re: stxranchman] #2698949 10/28/11 12:41 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
The discussion reminds me of the time many years while hunting in Mississippi when I shot a doe that had stepped into an old logging road. It was only after I shot her that a young fawn bolted across the road behind her. And the little guy was still hanging around the area when I went back the next day.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Thoughts on shooting does with fawns? [Re: Texas Dan] #2699080 10/28/11 01:15 AM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Not a problem here. Nature took care of this year's fawn crop. frown

Re: Thoughts on shooting does with fawns? [Re: aeb] #2699105 10/28/11 01:22 AM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: aeb
Not a problem here. Nature took care of this year's fawn crop. frown

Not near Brownwood. Most of our does have twin fawns. We only have one spike buck on camera, so our hunting is going to be tough to get one of the does that doesn't have a fawn.

Re: Thoughts on shooting does with fawns? [Re: BowSlayer] #2699196 10/28/11 01:53 AM
T
TxFisher Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted By: BowSlayer
Originally Posted By: TxFisher
I have no problem at all taking a doe that has fawns. I'm really kinda surprised at how many hunters won't take a doe with fawns. If the fawns were not gonna make it, Parks and Wildlife wouldn't give you doe tags to begin with. JMO

You have to realize that not all fawns are born at the same time. Yes, in a perfect situation all the fawns would be old enough to survive by the time season rolls around. I saw twin spotted fawns last weekend that were not much bigger than a jack rabbit.
BowSlayer, I know not all fawns are born at the same time, and I do understand why some hunters don't kill doe's with fawns. But I have hunted on big ranches where doe harvest is a must if you want to have your deer populations at a sustainable level, and the hunters who had that mindset seemed to be more of a hindrance than a help.

Re: Thoughts on shooting does with fawns? [Re: JJSeabrook] #2699452 10/28/11 02:41 AM
D
DFWPI Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I shot one Tuesday morn. She was a huge doe and the fawn with her was a rather large fawn and has been out of "spots" for several weeks. I've been following them with trail cams all summer.

Any deer with a bow is a trophy.

Re: Thoughts on shooting does with fawns? [Re: DFWPI] #2699666 10/28/11 03:22 AM
M
mark in tx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I've had a real learning curve with my first bow season this year, but I passed on a doe with twin fawns just because the drought has been so bad. Just wanted to give them a chance this winter.

Re: Thoughts on shooting does with fawns? [Re: JJSeabrook] #2700441 10/28/11 12:24 PM
L
LockhartHunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Originally Posted By: JJSeabrook
Originally Posted By: westtexaswatkins
I'm sure the fawns would survive because they sure know how to gobble up the corn BUT I still DON'T shoot does with fawns. Just my personal choice and I won't bash you if you decide to take one out.

Ditto. Just a personal choice for me.

JJ

Same here, I've been trying to fill my doe tags this year since I haven't taken a doe in 7 years of hunting the property. It being a doe only by bow county. I've taken 1 but have the same group show up every hunt and both the mature does have fawns with them. The older does keep giving me the slip. Had 4 old does come to withing 50 yards last sat. but wasn't comfortable with the distance.

Last edited by LockhartHunter; 10/28/11 12:29 PM.

Re: Thoughts on shooting does with fawns? [Re: TxFisher] #2700589 10/28/11 01:27 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: BowSlayer
I have no problem at all taking a doe that has fawns. I'm really kinda surprised at how many hunters won't take a doe with fawns. If the fawns were not gonna make it, Parks and Wildlife wouldn't give you doe tags to begin with. JMO

You have to realize that not all fawns are born at the same time. Yes, in a perfect situation all the fawns would be old enough to survive by the time season rolls around. I saw twin spotted fawns last weekend that were not much bigger than a jack rabbit.
BowSlayer, I know not all fawns are born at the same time, and I do understand why some hunters don't kill doe's with fawns. But I have hunted on big ranches where doe harvest is a must if you want to have your deer populations at a sustainable level, and the hunters who had that mindset seemed to be more of a hindrance than a help.

I understand that completely. I too have been on a place where the numbers were out of control. I was simply responding to your statement "If the fawns were not gonna make it, Parks and Wildlife wouldn't give you doe tags to begin with. JMO [/quote]". That simply is not true in all cases. I don't care if you shoot the doe and the fawn, that's up to you. I have seen some fawns after season opens that would not survive without their momma is all I'm saying.

Re: Thoughts on shooting does with fawns? [Re: BowSlayer] #2700691 10/28/11 02:07 PM
M
mark canfield Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Normally,i will & would shoot does with fawns because they are going to be kicked off in this years breeding season.Now probably 80% of the does are going to come into estrus in the first cycle.Most of them will kick off(stop the fawns from suckling)during that time.A doe that is still nursing will not breed.The does that dropped their fawns in the next cycle(around 28 days or so later)will kick off their fawns at that time. so I would and will shoot them. BUT this isn't a normal year is it? so i would probably let them walk THIS year.
Now what i don't understand is when people want to shoot does late in the season? for what purpose? Lets say for the sake of the argument that the range is in perfect shape.Plenty of food and water,you have 1 deer to every 8 to 10 acres of land ,your buck to doe ratio is 1 to 1 or 1 to 2. Your genetics are great.Why let the does get breed then shoot them a month or two later? Shooting them in the first week of the season will do some good things for your property.First,taking the does now means you will reduce the herds #s as it needs to be done.Second,the fawns would be most probably 2-4 weeks from being kicked off.Third,your bucks will travel more looking for hot does to breed.I just don't understand the reasoning letting a doe be breed by a great buck then shooting her a month later. Just my $.02 Let me know what you think Mark

Re: Thoughts on shooting does with fawns? [Re: mark canfield] #2700811 10/28/11 02:46 PM
R
redseal Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
generally take does without fawns just b/c our way of thinkin is for some reason she didn't drop and you don't wanna take the does that are producing good fawns it's kinda like sellin a cow that throws good calfs... this year that will be different but we still have a lot with fawns so probably won't be too hard to tell

Re: Thoughts on shooting does with fawns? [Re: redseal] #2700883 10/28/11 03:08 PM
A
Armalite260 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
The discussion reminds me of the time many years while hunting in Mississippi when I shot a doe that had stepped into an old logging road. It was only after I shot her that a young fawn bolted across the road behind her. And the little guy was still hanging around the area when I went back the next day.

Had something similar to that happen a few years back. I don't need to kill a deer bad enough to see that again. Just my personal preference. To each his own!

Last edited by BowTech82ndAB; 10/28/11 03:08 PM.
Re: Thoughts on shooting does with fawns? [Re: Armalite260] #2700897 10/28/11 03:16 PM
H
HornFan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
I shoot does early b/c in my humble opinion:
1. Most fawns can survive on their own by hunting season.
2. I don't want to shoot a doe after she was bred by a big buck.
3. Habitat improvement is sooner.
4. When does kick off nubbers, they often displace them and run them out of the area. Nature's way of spreading the species. Would rather my bred nubbers stay on my place instead of someone elses.

Re: Thoughts on shooting does with fawns? [Re: HornFan] #2701224 10/28/11 05:14 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
#2 is BS

You shot the doe the big buck would have bread. There is no way to know what doe was bread by which buck unless you have a breeding pen or you watched them do the deed.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Thoughts on shooting does with fawns? [Re: mark canfield] #2701341 10/28/11 06:00 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: mark canfield
Normally,i will & would shoot does with fawns because they are going to be kicked off in this years breeding season.Now probably 80% of the does are going to come into estrus in the first cycle.Most of them will kick off(stop the fawns from suckling)during that time.A doe that is still nursing will not breed.The does that dropped their fawns in the next cycle(around 28 days or so later)will kick off their fawns at that time. so I would and will shoot them. BUT this isn't a normal year is it? so i would probably let them walk THIS year.
Now what i don't understand is when people want to shoot does late in the season? for what purpose? Lets say for the sake of the argument that the range is in perfect shape.Plenty of food and water,you have 1 deer to every 8 to 10 acres of land ,your buck to doe ratio is 1 to 1 or 1 to 2. Your genetics are great.Why let the does get breed then shoot them a month or two later? Shooting them in the first week of the season will do some good things for your property.First,taking the does now means you will reduce the herds #s as it needs to be done.Second,the fawns would be most probably 2-4 weeks from being kicked off.Third,your bucks will travel more looking for hot does to breed.I just don't understand the reasoning letting a doe be breed by a great buck then shooting her a month later. Just my $.02 Let me know what you think Mark

That is all fine and dandy shooting doe early if you only have a handful to shoot. Try shooting 150-200 doe all the first week of the season and see what happens. I prefer and have always shot doe later. Why? Keeps the bucks from killing themselves or hurting themselves during the rut. They are bait during the rut also. Cut you do numbers down before the rut and with a 1-1 ratio you will have some mortalities. If you have shot your management bucks and did your culling early in the season then all the doe should be bred by the late in the season to your better bucks you left. Ideally shooting all your doe early is the best for way to create more feed. But if you have a very tight ratio then I am for waiting and shooting them late in the season.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Thoughts on shooting does with fawns? [Re: JJSeabrook] #2701392 10/28/11 06:13 PM
T
texas8point Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I don't want to hurt anyones feeling but if I see a group of does, I pick the fattest one in the bunch and head for the processor.

Re: Thoughts on shooting does with fawns? [Re: texas8point] #2701422 10/28/11 06:22 PM
D
DFWPI Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I know there was a drought this year, but our deer herd is looking pretty healthy, as are the fawns. Last Tuesday, five under one feeder and seven under another feeder 600 yards away.

I spoke with one lease member this morning and he saw one buck and 12 does/fawns this morning at his feeder, which is on the other side of the ranch from me. Other members are getting pics of numerous does and fawns as well.

Re: Thoughts on shooting does with fawns? [Re: JJSeabrook] #2701475 10/28/11 06:35 PM
M
Moonie Magnum Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Yeah I won't shoot a doe with a young fawn but if she is with a couple yearlings she is dead.

Texas is better.
Re: Thoughts on shooting does with fawns? [Re: Moonie Magnum] #2701499 10/28/11 06:41 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Moonie Magnum
Yeah I won't shoot a doe with a young fawn but if she is with a couple yearlings she is dead.

Of course it won't produce as much meat. But just as the case in shooting a sow, you impact animal numbers more by shooting the known reproducer, especially if she has given birth to two. And with drought conditions being what they are, the doe probably has a better chance at making it through the winter.

Just saying.

Re: Thoughts on shooting does with fawns? [Re: Armalite260] #2701509 10/28/11 06:45 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: BowTech82ndAB
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

Had something similar to that happen a few years back. I don't need to kill a deer bad enough to see that again. Just my personal preference. To each his own!

Yes, it made a lasting impression on me as well, having to watch that little guy still hanging around the next day. If he had been much smaller, I could have probably caught him.

Granted, Mother Nature can be very cruel. But that doesn't mean it's okay for me to add to it.

Re: Thoughts on shooting does with fawns? [Re: Texas Dan] #2702904 10/29/11 03:38 AM
donswin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I accidentally had my camera set on video & got this:

www.theswindlers.com/images/move it.AVI

You will have to cut & paste the URL since the filename has a space in it. It will open in Windows Media Player.

It softened my attitude towards taking a doe with fawns. Without Mom, who's going to keep them in line?

Last edited by donswin; 10/29/11 03:40 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide