Page 1 of 2 1 2
For all you Foiles bootlickers #2700578 10/28/11 01:21 PM
H
Homey da Clown Offline OP
CTJ
OP Offline
CTJ
H
This is a great read. It is 7 pages but gives you a good look into how he started and his demise.

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/2011-...-fallin-skies/

The moral of this story is that waterfowling is a privilege, a tradition and a heritage. It isn't something that should be taken advantage of, misrepresented or grossly exploited for personal gain. Respect it, enjoy it, and give back to it. Too many young hunters have gotten into the game these days for the wrong reasons. The commercialization and sensationalism that has been brought on by guys like Foiles has led many young guys to thinking that duck hunting is " cool". Well, I'm here to tell you that is ain't "cool." It is a something that most of us, especially us older cats, understand to be a privilege and a hunting heritage passed down. So for all of you young guns that aspire to be the next "King of duck hunting", read this story. Foiles got off easy. IMO, they should have thrown him under the jail.

Last edited by Homey da Clown; 10/28/11 01:31 PM.

R & B Outdoors
Mud Buddy motors/accessories
Gator Trax boats
(512) 826-6200
www.rboutdoors.com
Re: For all you Foiles bootlickers [Re: Homey da Clown] #2700591 10/28/11 01:27 PM
W
WaterTurkey Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
back off Grandpa

Re: For all you Foiles bootlickers [Re: WaterTurkey] #2700663 10/28/11 01:59 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Definitely a very interesting read, thanks for posting. I don't keep up with the glamour shots side of duck hunting much, but I've never been a fan of the guy; always seemed like an [censored] to me.

Too many people worry about wanting to be the badass of duck hunting these days. It's too much a competition for too many guys. Long since removed from what its really all about. Pretty sad.

Re: For all you Foiles bootlickers [Re: WaterTurkey] #2700669 10/28/11 02:00 PM
S
seethemkillthem Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
The future of this industry are the new guys and the young blood not the old cats. I’ve only been hunting water fowl for the past 4 years but I have been hunting in general for over 30 years. I am fortunate to know an “Old Cat” that has been hunting water fowl for over 60 years and he is the reason I got into hunting ducks. One of the most important thing he told me to remember is this is supposed to be fun. Is this a “cool” sport… yea it is. Do guys like Foils give it a black eye… Yes he does, but this industry will not exist unless we get as many new hunter (not necessarily young hunter) involved.

Re: For all you Foiles bootlickers [Re: Cochise] #2700688 10/28/11 02:06 PM
H
CTJ
OP Offline
CTJ
H
Originally Posted By: Cochise

Too many people worry about wanting to be the badass of duck hunting these days. It's too much a competition for too many guys. Long since removed from what its really all about. Pretty sad.

That is exactly the situation these days. Foiles was the pied piper with all of his mice following right along. From all of this negative shadow he cast on what we hold dearest, I hope that the positive will be that this teaches the younger crowd to just go out and enjoy the outdoors and quit trying to one up everyone else. Go because it is your passion, not because you have something to prove.

R & B Outdoors
Gator Trax boats
(512) 826-6200
www.rboutdoors.com
Re: For all you Foiles bootlickers [Re: Homey da Clown] #2700711 10/28/11 02:16 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Homey da Clown
Go because it is your passion, not because you have something to prove.

up

There are shooters there are hunters and there are outdoors man. The memories of hunts with friends and family are what everyone should take out of any hunt. The way the ducks worked, the crappie bite or the deer moved are all details. Sure everyone wants to have limits, and trophy bucks. But what people don't get is that a high scoring buck. Piles of ducks etc does not make the experience any more valuable.

Re: For all you Foiles bootlickers [Re: seethemkillthem] #2700713 10/28/11 02:16 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: seethemkillthem
The future of this industry are the new guys and the young blood not the old cats. I’ve only been hunting water fowl for the past 4 years but I have been hunting in general for over 30 years. I am fortunate to know an “Old Cat” that has been hunting water fowl for over 60 years and he is the reason I got into hunting ducks. One of the most important thing he told me to remember is this is supposed to be fun. Is this a “cool” sport… yea it is. Do guys like Foils give it a black eye… Yes he does, but this industry will not exist unless we get as many new hunter (not necessarily young hunter) involved.

What gives us a blk eye is the lack of tolerance we have for each other and the disdain we have for those that aren't molded or experienced just like us.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: For all you Foiles bootlickers [Re: WaterTurkey] #2700720 10/28/11 02:17 PM
B
Birdman7 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Just curious, how do you twist this article around to put the blame on us "young guns"? When it clearly states in the article that Foiles is 54, not exactly a young gun in my opinion. Did I get into to the sport because it's "cool"? Well yeah, why would someone get into something that sucks? I'm sorry that I think it's "cool" to be out in nature, getting to see a beautiful sunrise most mornings, getting to hear and see the birds work, and when I get the opportunity to hunt and spend time with family and friends. Not trying to stir anything up I just think it's pretty hypocritical of you to bash all the young hunters right after you started another thread talking about how excited you are to get a youth put this weekend for the opening of youth season. Sorry if I piss anyone off just my two cents.

Re: For all you Foiles bootlickers [Re: Homey da Clown] #2700725 10/28/11 02:19 PM
B
BROOKSSC Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
FTR ~ I agrees with every word that Homey typed 'bout this particular subject.

Mr. SeeThemKillsThem ...... The sport of DuckByrd huntin' 'caught a big BlackEye sho-nuff 'cause of this jerk .... and I mite add that ... in a strange ways ... I sumwhat feel sorry fo Jeff Foiles .... but don't you ever thank fo one minute that the sport needs the "New Duck Hunter" to exist ...... Just mines opinion .....

On a edit ~ What I thank me and Homey is typin' 'bout ... is the compeative type sport that some are tryin' to instill upon the younger hunters .... DuckByrd huntin' ain't BassTournament mentality ... It's a "Gentlemans Sport" and should remain as such ..... If I offend you Homey by typin' yore name .. I apploigize fo it .... but I thank yore typin' the same measage that I'ma tryin' to type .....

Last edited by BROOKSSC; 10/28/11 02:36 PM.
Re: For all you Foiles bootlickers [Re: BROOKSSC] #2700739 10/28/11 02:24 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
All hunting needs the young guys.. they are the future and the ones that will continue to be able to make ducks, deer, ect valuable. The birds and animals have to have value or we will lose hunting and or species.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: For all you Foiles bootlickers [Re: Birdman7] #2700750 10/28/11 02:28 PM
H
CTJ
OP Offline
CTJ
H
Originally Posted By: Birdman7
Just curious, how do you twist this article around to put the blame on us "young guns"? When it clearly states in the article that Foiles is 54, not exactly a young gun in my opinion. Did I get into to the sport because it's "cool"? Well yeah, why would someone get into something that sucks? I'm sorry that I think it's "cool" to be out in nature, getting to see a beautiful sunrise most mornings, getting to hear and see the birds work, and when I get the opportunity to hunt and spend time with family and friends. Not trying to stir anything up I just think it's pretty hypocritical of you to bash all the young hunters right after you started another thread talking about how excited you are to get a youth put this weekend for the opening of youth season. Sorry if I piss anyone off just my two cents.

Now you are twisting my words. I used the word " cool" loosely because that is exactly what some think it is and nothing more. Switch to decaf bro cuz your wired up a little tight this morning. Everything you mentioned with regards to being outdoors and afield is gospel in my world. You don't need to tell me what being outdoors should mean. Rest assured I arrived at that place prolly long before you.

Last edited by Homey da Clown; 10/28/11 02:57 PM.

R & B Outdoors
Gator Trax boats
(512) 826-6200
www.rboutdoors.com
Re: For all you Foiles bootlickers [Re: BOBO the Clown] #2700783 10/28/11 02:36 PM
H
CTJ
OP Offline
CTJ
H
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
All hunting needs the young guys.. they are the future and the ones that will continue to be able to make ducks, deer, ect valuable. The birds and animals have to have value or we will lose hunting and or species.

While I somewhat agree with that, I agree mostly with Brooks. Yes, the younger crowd and kiddos are the future of our hunting heritage. My daughter Kendall is a prime example of that. But she goes because she loves " just being there". I can teach her all that I know about duck hunting but I can't "feel" it for her. That fire inside her has to be lit by her and her passions. Makes me smile to know she wants to go for the right reasons.

Last edited by Homey da Clown; 10/28/11 02:55 PM.

R & B Outdoors
Gator Trax boats
(512) 826-6200
www.rboutdoors.com
Re: For all you Foiles bootlickers [Re: Homey da Clown] #2700788 10/28/11 02:37 PM
B
BROOKSSC Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I edited mines original post .....

Re: For all you Foiles bootlickers [Re: BROOKSSC] #2700790 10/28/11 02:38 PM
S
seethemkillthem Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: BROOKSSC

Mr. SeeThemKillsThem ...... The sport of DuckByrd huntin' 'caught a big BlackEye sho-nuff 'cause of this jerk .... and I mite add that ... in a strange ways ... I sumwhat feel sorry fo Jeff Foiles .... but don't you ever thank fo one minute that the sport needs the "New Duck Hunter" to exist ...... Just mines opinion .....

Without the new guys getting into water fowl hunting, how do you expect this sport to continue after you and I are gone? If you don’t care about continuing this sport and you think this industry will continue with just your participation then what makes you any different form Foils?

Foils is a guy that only cared about what mattered to him. He did not care what impact his actions had since he only thought about himself. If you care about duck hunting you will also care about having this sport to pass down to your kids, and the only way this will happen is by new blood getting into this sport.

Re: For all you Foiles bootlickers [Re: BROOKSSC] #2700793 10/28/11 02:40 PM
H
CTJ
OP Offline
CTJ
H

On a edit ~ What I thank me and Homey is typin' 'bout ... is the compeative type sport that some are tryin' to instill upon the younger hunters .... DuckByrd huntin' ain't BassTournament mentality ... It's a "Gentlemans Sport" and should remain as such ..... If I offend you Homey by typin' yore name .. I apploigize fo it .... but I thank yore typin' the same measage that I'ma tryin' to type .....

Couldn't have put it better, Brooks. That is exactly the statement I am trying to convey. up

R & B Outdoors
Gator Trax boats
(512) 826-6200
www.rboutdoors.com
Re: For all you Foiles bootlickers [Re: seethemkillthem] #2700795 10/28/11 02:42 PM
H
CTJ
OP Offline
CTJ
H

Without the new guys getting into water fowl hunting, how do you expect this sport to continue after you and I are gone? If you don’t care about continuing this sport and you think this industry will continue with just your participation then what makes you any different form Foils?

Foils is a guy that only cared about what mattered to him. He did not care what impact his actions had since he only thought about himself. If you care about duck hunting you will also care about having this sport to pass down to your kids, and the only way this will happen is by new blood getting into this sport.

Allow me this time, Brooksy....

I believe what Brooks was saying is that duck hunting doesn't need us. We need it! But we gotta want it for the right reasons

R & B Outdoors
Gator Trax boats
(512) 826-6200
www.rboutdoors.com
Re: For all you Foiles bootlickers [Re: Homey da Clown] #2700808 10/28/11 02:46 PM
S
seethemkillthem Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S

Allow me this time, Brooksy....

I believe what Brooks was saying is that duck hunting doesn't need us. We need it! But we gotta want it for the right reasons

agreeded

Re: For all you Foiles bootlickers [Re: ducknbass] #2700809 10/28/11 02:46 PM
T
Three Shot Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted By: ducknbass
There are shooters there are hunters and there are outdoors man. The memories of hunts with friends and family are what everyone should take out of any hunt. The way the ducks worked, the crappie bite or the deer moved are all details. Sure everyone wants to have limits, and trophy bucks. But what people don't get is that a high scoring buck. Piles of ducks etc does not make the experience any more valuable.

For alot of younger or beginning hunters, it's easy to get confused on the "goal" of the hunt. The people that measure the quality of their hunt by the number of kills, will eventually grow tired of the sport & they will fade from the numbers in the field. But those that measure the quality of their hunt by the time spent in God's great outdoors and in the presence of friends, family or a trusted hunting dog, will have a passion and involvement in the sport until they are no longer able to walk into the field.....with or without a gun.

Re: For all you Foiles bootlickers [Re: Homey da Clown] #2700814 10/28/11 02:47 PM
B
BROOKSSC Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
and Bingo is his Nameo !!!! happy3

Re: For all you Foiles bootlickers [Re: seethemkillthem] #2700817 10/28/11 02:48 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

two words show that your not on the same page. Industry, and Sport.

Hunting should be considered neither.

Re: For all you Foiles bootlickers [Re: Three Shot] #2700834 10/28/11 02:53 PM
H
CTJ
OP Offline
CTJ
H
Originally Posted By: Three Shot

For alot of younger or beginning hunters, it's easy to get confused on the "goal" of the hunt. The people that measure the quality of their hunt by the number of kills, will eventually grow tired of the sport & they will fade from the numbers in the field. But those that measure the quality of their hunt by the time spent in God's great outdoors and in the presence of friends, family or a trusted hunting dog, will have a passion and involvement in the sport until they are no longer able to walk into the field.....with or without a gun.

up up up Right on the money!

R & B Outdoors
Gator Trax boats
(512) 826-6200
www.rboutdoors.com
Re: For all you Foiles bootlickers [Re: ducknbass] #2700852 10/28/11 02:56 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
perfect example

I hunt with the same group of guys I have for 10 plus years. Some hunt less today than they did when we were 20 years old. Of course over the years you meet other people with the same love. i have a couple buddys that lease land up in Mallard country. Kill over 300 mallards a year most years I have hunted up there with them. I have been invited to hunt with them 10 times more than I have hunted with them. I have been offered a place on it many times. As fun as straight running killin piles of mallards at 15 yards week in week out would be. They are not my hunting buddies, and if I can't go with my best buds and kill tons of birds on easy private. I will kill what i can with my best hunting buddies on public. Not about the kills about my buds.

Last edited by ducknbass; 10/28/11 02:57 PM.
Re: For all you Foiles bootlickers [Re: Homey da Clown] #2700868 10/28/11 03:02 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Homey I agree with that, completely but its also kind of a right of passage too.. I remember when I was younger... It was about the limit, and time it took...loved the hunt loved working the birds but loved showing up my buddy's more..now just love hunting with friends/family and laughing when I get out smarted.

I don't get upset when somebody sets up 100 yards from, don't get upset cuz someone internet scouted the lake or hole I'm hunting..and I don't get upset when someone runs in on me and ends up on a sand bar and about to spin their prop.. I just wade over to them and help them out..either invite them to hunt with me or help them get off and on their way.

Maybe I'm just melow or maybe my passion isn't as deeply rooted as some of the other duckhunters, or maybe its just easier to not get mad and just laugh it off.. no telling

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

While I somewhat agree with that, I agree mostly with Brooks. Yes, the younger crowd and kiddos are the future of our sport. My daughter Kendall is a prime example of that. But she goes because she loves " just being there". I can teach her all that I know about the sport, but I can't "feel" it for her. That fire inside her has to be lit by her and her passions. Makes me smile to know she wants to go for the right reasons.

Re: For all you Foiles bootlickers [Re: ducknbass] #2700877 10/28/11 03:05 PM
S
seethemkillthem Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S

two words show that your not on the same page. Industry, and Sport.

Hunting should be considered neither.

Sport or industry… we can argue semantics all day long but all I’m saying is whatever you want to call it, will only exist with new participants. At some point in time you had your first hunt and you where the newbie

Re: For all you Foiles bootlickers [Re: seethemkillthem] #2700882 10/28/11 03:08 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
yep and it was comical as all get out.

THE OP is not about people makingg mistakes or making a mess of hunting land or not knowing how to call not finishing ducks sky blasting etc.

The point he was driving home was. Duck hunting aint hollywood. Leave your black hoodies video cameras and sponsors at home just go enjoy yourself in the outdoors.

You should read the article if you have not. The black eye that the hollywood mentality gave hunters as a whole was not good.

Last edited by ducknbass; 10/28/11 03:14 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide