Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics538,821
Posts9,741,780
Members87,118
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Really??? Guía De Parques Estatales Añade Nueva Versión En Español #2679853 10/20/11 09:42 PM
P
PHishTX Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
P
State Parks Guide Spanish Version

What budget problems???
Must be plenty of pesos flowing around Austin to produce this it both languages...

Originally Posted By: WMI report
"If age structure is deemed to be valuable to management,...What percentage change in age structure or condition does TPWD recognize that it needs to detect in order to trigger a regulatory change?

confused2TPWDconfused2
Re: Really??? Guía De Parques Estatales Añade Nueva Versión En Español [Re: PHishTX] #2679884 10/20/11 09:52 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
why bother...

Re: Really??? Guía De Parques Estatales Añade Nueva Versión En Español [Re: kyotee1] #2680254 10/21/11 12:24 AM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Whether you like it or not, hispanic community is growing to be the majority in TX. If people aren't interested in the outdoors, then no money, which = no state parks etc.

Something needs to be done to recruit more people, and this is a step in the right direction.

Props to TPWD

Re: Really??? Guía De Parques Estatales Añade Nueva Versión En Español [Re: TXPride] #2680321 10/21/11 12:50 AM
K
kyle1974 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: TXPride
Whether you like it or not, hispanic community is growing to be the majority in TX. If people aren't interested in the outdoors, then no money, which = no state parks etc.

Something needs to be done to recruit more people, and this is a step in the right direction.

Props to TPWD

should we print it in vietnamese, chinese, 4 seperate indian dialects, and german while we're at it?

This has nothing to do with "hispanic", it has to do with "spanish"

Last edited by kyle1974; 10/21/11 12:51 AM.
Re: Really??? Guía De Parques Estatales Añade Nueva Versión En Español [Re: kyle1974] #2680375 10/21/11 01:03 AM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I wonder if Mexico caters to the U.S. in all their literature? I guess it's too much to ask of them to learn our language. Pathetic if you ask me.

Re: Really??? Guía De Parques Estatales Añade Nueva Versión En Español [Re: kyle1974] #2680415 10/21/11 01:17 AM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: kyle1974

should we print it in vietnamese, chinese, 4 seperate indian dialects, and german while we're at it?

This has nothing to do with "hispanic", it has to do with "spanish"

Those languages don't even compare...and I would say that a growing hispanic community and spanish have a little bit in common.

I have a feeling I may be the minority on this topic. However, I feel like I am being a realist. How else are we going to recruit growing "spanish speaking" folks which is only one of the many groups that is growing yet becoming more and more disengaged with the outdoors. Doesn't matter what language they speak, the more people we get involved in the outdoors, the better off outdoor enthusiasts and the communities that rely on it will be.

Last edited by TXPride; 10/21/11 01:19 AM.

Re: Really??? Guía De Parques Estatales Añade Nueva Versión En Español [Re: TXPride] #2680438 10/21/11 01:24 AM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
They can do the same thing I would do if I were wanting to hunt in a Country that I did not speak the language. Research and learn the laws. Somehow I don't think the Outdoor Annual being printed in Spanish is going to get more Spanish Speaking people involved in the outdoors. If they had an interest in being involved they would do it without us needing to fund a publication in their language. If you wanted to hunt a Country where you did not speak the language would that stop you from going or would you figure out what you needed to know before going?

Re: Really??? Guía De Parques Estatales Añade Nueva Versión En Español [Re: BowSlayer] #2680539 10/21/11 01:57 AM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I am not saying that people who come into this country should not learn the language (especially if they live here). In a perfect world we will not have that as a problem. However, in reality there are thousands in the state who can't read or speak english, and there is enough people in the state who are bilengual for them to get by though. Just as when I go to a different country, I try to stay in areas where enough people speak english for me to get by. I don't neccesarily think that a spanish version of the state parks guide is going to get a lot more people to visit the parks, but it is a step in the right direction. Saying that we should not welcome people to state parks if they don't speak english and give them an understanding of the rules, etc., is ignorant IMO.

If I moved to Costa Rica and lived in a community that spoke english, and I did not know spanish yet, I would be a lot more likely to visit their parks if they had an english version of their guides.

Same as if I hunted in South Africa, I would much rather prefer English hunting regulations compared to Afrikans (sp?)

Re: Really??? Guía De Parques Estatales Añade Nueva Versión En Español [Re: TXPride] #2681114 10/21/11 09:12 AM
billybob Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

Props to TPWD

The problem being is a lot of that growth is illegals. Do you want illegals hunting and fishing along side you? There's also a high probability that they are not licensed for whatever they are doing. If illegals from anywhere want to visit state parks..guess we can't stop them. As for hunting, fishing, trapping,etc...if they are not licensed properly throw them in jail and export them.

Last edited by billybob; 10/21/11 09:14 AM.
Re: Really??? Guía De Parques Estatales Añade Nueva Versión En Español [Re: billybob] #2681387 10/21/11 01:29 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
"Saying that we should not welcome people to state parks if they don't speak english and give them an understanding of the rules, etc., is ignorant IMO."

I never said that we shouldn't welcome them to the parks. I said that we AMERICANS should not have to pay for the rules and regulations to be printed in their language. That's why our Country is in the toilet right now. People with the mindset like yours. Instead of standing up for what's right you would rather cater to the very people that are tearing us down. I could get fired up on this subject, especially the ILLEGAL Mexicans that are here. Isn't one of the rules for becoming a U.S. Citizen to learn the language. I don't give a crap if 1 illegal immigrant goes to our state park or not. In fact, I wish they would not. They are draining our resources enough without them getting into our Parks and Wildlife funds too.

Re: Really??? Guía De Parques Estatales Añade Nueva Versión En Español [Re: BowSlayer] #2681450 10/21/11 01:51 PM
P
PHishTX Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: kyotee1
why bother...

This is why....

(Well stated BowSlayer)

Originally Posted By: BowSlayer
"Saying that we should not welcome people to state parks if they don't speak english and give them an understanding of the rules, etc., is ignorant IMO."

I never said that we shouldn't welcome them to the parks. I said that we AMERICANS should not have to pay for the rules and regulations to be printed in their language. That's why our Country is in the toilet right now. People with the mindset like yours. Instead of standing up for what's right you would rather cater to the very people that are tearing us down. I could get fired up on this subject, especially the ILLEGAL Mexicans that are here. Isn't one of the rules for becoming a U.S. Citizen to learn the language. I don't give a crap if 1 illegal immigrant goes to our state park or not. In fact, I wish they would not. They are draining our resources enough without them getting into our Parks and Wildlife funds too.

Perry and his minions (in Austin, apparently including TPWD too) DO NOT stand against ILLEGALS !!

IN FACT THE CATER TO THEM.
(see in-state tuition FOR ILLEGALS)......and this, and on, and on.....

"If age structure is deemed to be valuable to management,...What percentage change in age structure or condition does TPWD recognize that it needs to detect in order to trigger a regulatory change?

confused2TPWDconfused2
Re: Really??? Guía De Parques Estatales Añade Nueva Versión En Español [Re: PHishTX] #2682129 10/21/11 05:49 PM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
First of all, I wasn't trying to call Bowslayer or anyone else out.

I don't think printing a spanish version of a state parks guide would increase the amount of illegals in the country...catering to illegals is a complete different debate. Whether or not illegals should have the privelege to hunt, fish, and visit state parks is also a completely different debate. Although, if they are doing it I would rather them not claim to be ignorant of the rules because they "couldn't read them." Anybody abusing our natural resources should be punished no matter what their excuse is and that includes trespassing.

The Original Post had to do with "the cost" of printing it. My only argument is that it would be cost effective because the increase of visiting people could rise, and the amount of people doing ETHICAL and APPROPRIATE visiting and spending money to fuel outdoor activities is good.

Re: Really??? Guía De Parques Estatales Añade Nueva Versión En Español [Re: TXPride] #2683145 10/22/11 01:18 AM
P
PaulsBunyan Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Leave it in English...its taught in our schools at taxpayer expense already.

Re: Really??? Guía De Parques Estatales Añade Nueva Versión En Español [Re: PaulsBunyan] #2683162 10/22/11 01:25 AM
BuckRage Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'm part hispanic and I say make it easier for them not to speak the official language and they never will!!! bang

[Linked Image]
Re: Really??? Guía De Parques Estatales Añade Nueva Versión En Español [Re: BuckRage] #2684231 10/22/11 05:30 PM
T
tinkerbell Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I agree with Tx Pride. The majority of the Hispanics in Texas are NOT illegals. Spanish is the language they speak now, but their children will learn English as they assimilate.

Much the same way the ancestors of most of the caucasian folks who are against this ancestors came over speaking German, French, Polish, Italian etc.... It took a long time for the German language newspapers, church services, etc to go away after they immigrated in the late 1800's they were still going when I was a kid in the mid-80's back home.

We are 2-4 generations removed from having the disdain associated with the Irish, Germans, Polish immigrants now being focused on the Hispanics.

I don't like illegal immigrants or immigration. However putting something in Spanish doesn't necessarily promote illegal immigration. It caters to a large demographic of our population which so happens to also be a large segment of illegal immigrant crowd.

Lastly, in all honesty if I'm an illegal immigrant. I doubt I have the leisure time to seek out a state park, etc.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Really??? Guía De Parques Estatales Añade Nueva Versión En Español [Re: tinkerbell] #2685891 10/23/11 05:27 PM
M
mideon2000 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
the hispanic demographic is something they should tap into like TX Pride said. if you are a newly legal citizen and you have learned basic english and are given a booklet in your native tongue and one in english then which one are you going to pick?

A person may want the spanish version because because it is easier to read. why do you think in europe there are plenty of signs in english? To make it easier for people that speak english to get around. It is help thats all.

Basically it is a little help to get people into the woods that may not have. There are plenty of other stupid things the state has blown money on. We got citizens over here screwing the state over on food stamps and other benefits driving around on cadillacs. Until they do something about that... Bienvenidos mi amigos.

Last edited by mideon2000; 10/23/11 05:28 PM.

I only lie when I tell the truth.
Re: Really??? Guía De Parques Estatales Añade Nueva Versión En Español [Re: mideon2000] #2686236 10/23/11 08:50 PM
M
Mr.Broadhead Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
We are one of the only countries in the world that speak only one language. Go over seas, most people in most countries speak two or three languages fluently.

If the economy keeps up I suggest learning Chines.

Hunting and Fishing is not an English thing its a human thing.

Re: Really??? Guía De Parques Estatales Añade Nueva Versión En Español [Re: TXPride] #2688069 10/24/11 03:39 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K

I don't think printing a spanish version of a state parks guide would increase the amount of illegals in the country...catering to illegals is a complete different debate. Whether or not illegals should have the privelege to hunt, fish, and visit state parks is also a completely different debate. Although, if they are doing it I would rather them not claim to be ignorant of the rules because they "couldn't read them." Anybody abusing our natural resources should be punished no matter what their excuse is and that includes trespassing.

The Original Post had to do with "the cost" of printing it. My only argument is that it would be cost effective because the increase of visiting people could rise, and the amount of people doing ETHICAL and APPROPRIATE visiting and spending money to fuel outdoor activities is good.

Well said

Re: Really??? Guía De Parques Estatales Añade Nueva Versión En Español [Re: kyotee1] #2688121 10/24/11 03:57 PM
P
PHishTX Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
P

I guess since our countries immigrations laws are written in English, and they can claim ignorance cuz they can't read the laws and it is OK for them to come here ILLEGALY?

confused2TPWDconfused2
Re: Really??? Guía De Parques Estatales Añade Nueva Versión En Español [Re: PHishTX] #2689511 10/24/11 11:47 PM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
That last post was kindof a stretch...I never said anything illegal is ok.

Re: Really??? Guía De Parques Estatales Añade Nueva Versión En Español [Re: TXPride] #2689575 10/25/11 12:10 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I would be willing to bet that almost all of the Spanish versions will be picked up and used by American citizens. I doubt if one out of a thousand will be used by an illegal. So what is the problem?

My great grandfather had told my grandpa about settling in west Texas before the civil war. My grandpa told me that they had to learn to speak a little Comanche and Spanish to survive. My grandpa said one day we would have to learn Spanish to keep up with the times.

Most of the Hispanics you see daily are American citizens, born here and have probably lived in Texas for generations. One of my former neighbors was a disabled WWII vet, his parents and his grandparents all were born and raised in Abilene, TX. If they are more comfortable using the Spanish language, why should I complain.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide