Forums46
Topics538,716
Posts9,740,334
Members87,103
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Can you hunt same day after getting busted in the morning? #2651466 10/11/11 05:56 PM
S
spoon33 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Went out last night to an area and saw tons of tracks, just no deer until I was packing up and 2 deer started blowing and took off.

So this morning I was hunting same place and 2 shooter does came in view. They knew something was up bc once I finally saw them the front one was already stomping her foot and staring right at me. Eventually they started walking towards my shooting lane, and I couldn't even get a full draw before they took off and started blowing.

Would it be to much pressure to hunt tonight, or should I wait?

Re: Can you hunt same day after getting busted in the morning? [Re: spoon33] #2651559 10/11/11 06:23 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I would wait , or find a new spot. The wind is wrong or something else and they have you pegged.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Can you hunt same day after getting busted in the morning? [Re: Western] #2651567 10/11/11 06:26 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Western
I would wait , or find a new spot. The wind is wrong or something else and they have you pegged.

Wise advice right here.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Can you hunt same day after getting busted in the morning? [Re: stxranchman] #2651617 10/11/11 06:38 PM
M
MELackey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
once they bust you, they will look for you every time. Your place may be different, but that's what I've found at our ranch. Our does are SMART. Let them see you get into or out of the stand once, and you're sunk.

Re: Can you hunt same day after getting busted in the morning? [Re: MELackey] #2651638 10/11/11 06:45 PM
P
pokerj2 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Ive shot in the morning and missed came back that evening and killed the buck I missed in the morning. Ive also ran deer out of the feeder pen pulling into fill the feeders, run back to camp for a battery come back and there are deer in there. I think people make to big of a deal out of hunting. Quit thinking and just do it!

President of American Entitlements LLC
Health insurance agency focusing in all ages from ACA plans all the way through Medicare.
Office is based in Wylie, TX
We have local agents in both Texas and Louisiana
469-814-0289
Re: Can you hunt same day after getting busted in the morning? [Re: pokerj2] #2651656 10/11/11 06:53 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: pokerj2
Ive shot in the morning and missed came back that evening and killed the buck I missed in the morning. Ive also ran deer out of the feeder pen pulling into fill the feeders, run back to camp for a battery come back and there are deer in there. I think people make to big of a deal out of hunting. Quit thinking and just do it!

I think that you are talking about two different things and/or don't hunt the same deer that I do. Or you don't give deer the credit they deserve.

I have seen the same thing that you are describing on our ranch...pull up to fill a feeder, run deer off and they come back. I have walked up in the morning, heard the deer run off, and have them eating before I can see.

But I have also seen doe figure out what tree I am hiding in and the first thing they do when they come in is circle downwind or walk right up to it and look up. First time I noticed it was when I moved back to my rifle stand. They would check out my bow blind and then go feed.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Can you hunt same day after getting busted in the morning? [Re: txshntr] #2651671 10/11/11 06:57 PM
M
Mud Shark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I think the real answer is Yes, you can, but you might not get the results you were looking for.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean it's a good idea. I would go to another location or a different blind in the same area.

Mud Shark

Re: Can you hunt same day after getting busted in the morning? [Re: Mud Shark] #2651748 10/11/11 07:17 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I would agree with these guys for the most part, but deer can be really friggin' stupid some places. Have been busted repeatedly by the same doe in the same sitting and had her come out right before dark less than an hour later. I wasn't after her, but if I had been, she'd be dead.

Re: Can you hunt same day after getting busted in the morning? [Re: cameron00] #2652016 10/11/11 08:43 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
JMIO, deer have an innate ability to discern when your in "hunt or predator" mode. Sneaking around or "lieing" in wait, are two character traits of a predator. If you just walking to your feeder they can tell if your body language say's "threat"

I've seen coyotes just passing near deer and the deer just watch and it was obvious the coyote was not hunting, same dog in hunt mode and the deer are gone.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Can you hunt same day after getting busted in the morning? [Re: Western] #2652099 10/11/11 09:06 PM
N
notamtchance Online Happy
Veteran Tracker
Online Happy
Veteran Tracker
N
It really depends on your area and the hunting pressure they see. Were I take my son for his youth hunt you can shoot a deer leave it laying in the field and within 5 min later have another group of deer come walking though the area for another shot.

If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Re: Can you hunt same day after getting busted in the morning? [Re: notamtchance] #2652359 10/11/11 10:23 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Generally every year we have a few older does that are extremely cautious. Once they make you in a blind you are better off harvesting them or they will cause you lots of misery. Everyday they come to your feeder they will approach your blind and give you the old stare down and even circle the blind sometimes to get your scent and then snort until they have every deer in hearing distance spooked and run off. You folks that have spent a lot of time in the field know which ones I'm talking about. rofl

Re: Can you hunt same day after getting busted in the morning? [Re: KG68] #2652442 10/11/11 11:06 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
What's worse is the ones that figure out they can stomp and snort and all the bucks at the corn will run off. Then they run in and gobble as much corn as they can before the others figure out what happened. bang

Only thing that is good about that is the deer become desensitized to the snorting and blowing. rofl

Re: Can you hunt same day after getting busted in the morning? [Re: txshntr] #2652689 10/12/11 12:24 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: txshntr
What's worse is the ones that figure out they can stomp and snort and all the bucks at the corn will run off. Then they run in and gobble as much corn as they can before the others figure out what happened. bang

Only thing that is good about that is the deer become desensitized to the snorting and blowing. rofl

Txshntr,you ARE wise beyond your years grasshopper. up

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Can you hunt same day after getting busted in the morning? [Re: Erathkid] #2652701 10/12/11 12:28 AM
M
mws Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
yes

Re: Can you hunt same day after getting busted in the morning? [Re: mws] #2653267 10/12/11 02:45 AM
C
Chaser42 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I had one stomp at me last week. She had three others with her. What exactly does the stomping mean? They are about 10 yards from me, she stomped 3-4 times, they blew ran off and blew some more. It was kind of cool being so close and witnessing all of that.

Re: Can you hunt same day after getting busted in the morning? [Re: Chaser42] #2653449 10/12/11 03:29 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
From my experience, they usually stomp when they are nervous and know something is wrong. I have always guessed that they are trying to make you move so they can see you better. It is most often accompanied by blowing and you can bet they are about to run. In most cases, the two together means she either has seen you or has caught a whiff of human and she is trying to figure out if you are still in the area.

I have seen them only stomp on a few occasions without the blowing. It is usually when one has spotted me at a fairly close distance while stalking and she "thinks" she saw me move, she feels nervous, but is too curious to move on. They will start to circle you, stomp a few times and they really like to drop their head and lift it real quick to see if they can catch you off guard.

On one occasion, I actually stepped out onto the trail and walked in circles with my arms straight out. Curious to see the reaction, I figured she would bolt. She actually did the opposite and came closer to get a better look. I felt like an idiot, but learned the depth of the curiosity of some deer. Found that with others, this tactic had the exact effect I originally thought it would...they bolted. But, as the doe got closer, she was stomping. This told me she was nervous but her curiosity was over powering her fear. Probably because she had never encountered a threat that ran in circles flapping his arms.

Re: Can you hunt same day after getting busted in the morning? [Re: Erathkid] #2653466 10/12/11 03:36 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Erathkid

Txshntr,you ARE wise beyond your years grasshopper. up

cheers

Re: Can you hunt same day after getting busted in the morning? [Re: txshntr] #2653471 10/12/11 03:41 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
From my experience, they usually stomp when they are nervous and know something is wrong. I have always guessed that they are trying to make you move so they can see you better. It is most often accompanied by blowing and you can bet they are about to run. In most cases, the two together means she either has seen you or has caught a whiff of human and she is trying to figure out if you are still in the area.

I have seen them only stomp on a few occasions without the blowing. It is usually when one has spotted me at a fairly close distance while stalking and she "thinks" she saw me move, she feels nervous, but is too curious to move on. They will start to circle you, stomp a few times and they really like to drop their head and lift it real quick to see if they can catch you off guard.

On one occasion, I actually stepped out onto the trail and walked in circles with my arms straight out. Curious to see the reaction, I figured she would bolt. She actually did the opposite and came closer to get a better look. I felt like an idiot, but learned the depth of the curiosity of some deer. Found that with others, this tactic had the exact effect I originally thought it would...they bolted. But, as the doe got closer, she was stomping. This told me she was nervous but her curiosity was over powering her fear. Probably because she had never encountered a threat that ran in circles flapping his arms.

worthless banana

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Can you hunt same day after getting busted in the morning? [Re: stxranchman] #2653821 10/12/11 01:02 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

worthless banana

It was all in the name of research rofl

Re: Can you hunt same day after getting busted in the morning? [Re: txshntr] #2654207 10/12/11 03:15 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Let me get this straight. you have educated the deer to how you hunt and the does now look at that spot everytime they come in. Why are these does still alive if you have tags?

Re: Can you hunt same day after getting busted in the morning? [Re: KG68] #2654334 10/12/11 03:51 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: KG68
Generally every year we have a few older does that are extremely cautious. Once they make you in a blind you are better off harvesting them or they will cause you lots of misery. Everyday they come to your feeder they will approach your blind and give you the old stare down and even circle the blind sometimes to get your scent and then snort until they have every deer in hearing distance spooked and run off. You folks that have spent a lot of time in the field know which ones I'm talking about. rofl

Yeah, the ones you shoot first. rifle deer

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: Can you hunt same day after getting busted in the morning? [Re: spoon33] #2654339 10/12/11 03:52 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: spoon33
Went out last night to an area and saw tons of tracks, just no deer until I was packing up and 2 deer started blowing and took off.

So this morning I was hunting same place and 2 shooter does came in view. They knew something was up bc once I finally saw them the front one was already stomping her foot and staring right at me. Eventually they started walking towards my shooting lane, and I couldn't even get a full draw before they took off and started blowing.

Would it be to much pressure to hunt tonight, or should I wait?

You need to better conceal yourself so they don't pick off every little movement you make. Hunt favorable winds. Deer will pick up movement and scent more than anything.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Can you hunt same day after getting busted in the morning? [Re: LandPirate] #2654369 10/12/11 04:05 PM
J
Justin Bowers Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
Yes and no....to me it seems it really depends on the human activity that is going on and around your lease....but yes if you get busted in a tree stand, you could be hurt for while...deer are just like humans in the aspect that some are smarter than others...good luck

Re: Can you hunt same day after getting busted in the morning? [Re: Justin Bowers] #2654388 10/12/11 04:11 PM
B
Bobby B Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Some deer, mostly does are just squirrel hunters by nature. Meaning they look up for things to blow at all the time. I had one on a small lease a few years back that started blowing no matter what. I was bowhunting and could see her but never got a shot. So the youth weekend I took Zach with his rifle along to let him pop her, and sure enough, she started blowing and he couldnt get a shot with a rifle. She was just a wise old biatch is all I can say.

I have found they are annoying and do cause some deer to move away. But I have also found that often time after they drift away, other deer will come right in.

The doe I mentioned would circle the entire area winding and no matter how we set up, she would find us. Never did kill her and she needed killing bad.

Last edited by Bobby B; 10/12/11 04:13 PM.

" If you can't have no fun, it ain't no use a'goin' ! " - old man in a Sweetwater , TX cafe

Re: Can you hunt same day after getting busted in the morning? [Re: bo3] #2654466 10/12/11 04:35 PM
M
MELackey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: bo323
Let me get this straight. you have educated the deer to how you hunt and the does now look at that spot everytime they come in. Why are these does still alive if you have tags?

Because you have to be able to point the rifle out the window to be able to shoot them... If there are 3 or 4 of them together and there are always 3 sets of eyes on you, you can't do anything. I'm taking my .45LC this year. I'm betting I can get the barrel rested on the window of the blind and pop one without making any movements.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide