Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Field Dressing Deer #2629633 10/03/11 08:44 PM
H
Hopedale Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Ok, its been a while, so does anyone know of any good video's on field dressing your deer?

I'm most concerned about the cut around the lower extremities and tainting the meat.

[Linked Image]
Re: Field Dressing Deer [Re: Hopedale] #2629643 10/03/11 08:50 PM
J
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I'll jump on this thread with another question... how about any tips on how to snap the pelvis, to finish removing the intestines / anus. Are there any tricks other than pulling out a saw?

Regarding how to cut the lower extremities without contaminating... I like to use two fingers and pull up on the skin to let the back and point of the knife have plenty of room between the skin and the innards...

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: Field Dressing Deer [Re: jdk1985] #2629688 10/03/11 09:04 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I could tell you but I haven't field dressed but about 5 out of the last 50 I've killed. We hang um, skin um, quarter um and toss um.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Field Dressing Deer [Re: passthru] #2629696 10/03/11 09:07 PM
B
bowassin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
So you just skin then quarter without gutting?

Re: Field Dressing Deer [Re: bowassin] #2629706 10/03/11 09:11 PM
T
TAT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
i know of alot of people who skin/cape,quarter and never gut a deer. heck if you know how and they are hanging right you can get the tenderloins.

It's not how you fall, It's how you get up.
Re: Field Dressing Deer [Re: bowassin] #2629728 10/03/11 09:21 PM
B
BOLT GUY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
we use tree branch loppers to cut the pelvis. Cut the skin around the anus and genitals. Carefully cut the membrane around the anus inside the pelvis area. Cut the meat/muscle all the way down to the pelvis bone, do not puncture the belly yet, make small incision where belly meets pelvis. Lift up with 2 fingers and cut all the way to the sternum. Push intestines and guts forward towards chest. Cut pelvis with prunners. Cut Esophagus and pull all inards towards rear. Push down on both back legs to spread pelvis bone and all guts(including A**hole) come out in one pile.
We prefer to do this while the animal is on their back.

Re: Field Dressing Deer [Re: TAT] #2629745 10/03/11 09:26 PM
J
js4242 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Here's a pretty good free video on the gutless method. There are a bunch of other videos on the internet, but you have to pay for them. It's on a elk, but you will get the idea. I've never done it (planning on trying it in a month), but guys I know that do, swear by it.

http://elk101.com/webisodes/gutless-video/

Re: Field Dressing Deer [Re: js4242] #2629755 10/03/11 09:28 PM
A
ACov Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
Do a search on YouTube. I do like passthru said, hang, skin, quarter, remove the backstrap and let 'em lie. We do all the processing ourselves and this just makes it quicker, plus we know what meat we're getting outta the deer.

Re: Field Dressing Deer [Re: BOLT GUY] #2629793 10/03/11 09:39 PM
J
JJSeabrook Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: BOLT GUY
we use tree branch loppers to cut the pelvis. Cut the skin around the anus and genitals. Carefully cut the membrane around the anus inside the pelvis area. Cut the meat/muscle all the way down to the pelvis bone, do not puncture the belly yet, make small incision where belly meets pelvis. Lift up with 2 fingers and cut all the way to the sternum. Push intestines and guts forward towards chest. Cut pelvis with prunners. Cut Esophagus and pull all inards towards rear. Push down on both back legs to spread pelvis bone and all guts(including A**hole) come out in one pile.

I used to use the pruners, and that is a great way to cut that bone at the anus. Now I just trim around the anus from the outside first and put a zip tie on the end of the anus to keep it closed up...no way for any poop to come out that way and it's fast. Then just pull it through. Otherwise I do it just as you do. Just a matter of preference. Each way works.

JJ

Re: Field Dressing Deer [Re: JJSeabrook] #2629814 10/03/11 09:44 PM
S
sptaylor Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
someone had a buttout tool at camp one year it worked

Re: Field Dressing Deer [Re: sptaylor] #2629833 10/03/11 09:53 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
I start by sticking the knife in under the breast plate, cut towards the neck. Grab the opening I just made, lift it up and cut toward the rear. When I get close to the pelvis, I cut a little deeper to get the muscles and go until I hit the pelvis. I then turn the blade horizontal and cut the meat until I can see the pelvis joint. There is a ridge and your knife will slide in. Push it almost to the hilt and cut toward the head, turn around and cut toward the anus. Step on both legs, lift, cut the esophagus, and pull. Everything comes out, then cut around the anus and you are done. Hell, took me longer to write this than it does to clean one.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Field Dressing Deer [Re: js4242] #2629861 10/03/11 10:05 PM
L
Leadsh2 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
Great video, well worth the time!

Re: Field Dressing Deer [Re: txshntr] #2629870 10/03/11 10:08 PM
D
deerfeeder Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Quickest and cleanest (not puncturing or pressing the bladder) I've found is normal cuts and then use the saw on a Leatherman. Usually takes two cuts, the furthest one forward all the way through the second one about 3/4 of the way and then push the legs flat, it'll pop, and you can clean out large intestines and whatever else.

That's what I developed for me when I was guiding and the hunter was looking over my shoulder. It's also the way I do it for me. Keeps pellets and pee out of the body cavity. Whole gut job only takes about 5 minutes. Makes it easier to load the deer when you are alone too.

Re: Field Dressing Deer [Re: deerfeeder] #2629901 10/03/11 10:22 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Pelvis...... cordless recipro saw.

Re: Field Dressing Deer [Re: Hopedale] #2629905 10/03/11 10:23 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
here is my favorite version put out by Kansas Parks & Wildlife. Only thing I would add is cut scent glands off buck legs before starting.

Re: Field Dressing Deer [Re: deerfeeder] #2629907 10/03/11 10:25 PM
O
okietex Offline
Tracker
Tracker
O
Get a cheap hand axe at walmart and a hammer or a pry bar and hammer to break the pelvic bone. I don't like all the bone chips a makes. Two good hits and the pelvis is split. It takes me two min. From start to finish in a hay meadow

Re: Field Dressing Deer [Re: okietex] #2629947 10/03/11 10:38 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: okietex
Get a cheap hand axe at walmart and a hammer or a pry bar and hammer to break the pelvic bone. I don't like all the bone chips a makes. Two good hits and the pelvis is split. It takes me two min. From start to finish in a hay meadow

watch the video, you don't need to split the pelvis.

Re: Field Dressing Deer [Re: Rob Lay] #2629956 10/03/11 10:39 PM
J
JJSeabrook Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted by Rob Lay
here is my favorite version put out by Kansas Parks & Wildlife. Only thing I would add is cut scent glands off buck legs before starting.

That's the way I do it, except I usually cut up through the breast plate a ways.

JJ

Re: Field Dressing Deer [Re: TAT] #2630101 10/03/11 11:39 PM
D
DeerSmokeScreen.com Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Originally Posted By: TAT
i know of alot of people who skin/cape,quarter and never gut a deer. heck if you know how and they are hanging right you can get the tenderloins.

We never have to gut ours.

Start with hanging by the back legs on a spreader. You can cut the guts down enough to retrieve the tender loins while not tainting any meat.

We have started de-boning them while they are hanging. We grind all of our meat so this cuts down on our processing time and also saves space in the ice chest.

Re: Field Dressing Deer [Re: JJSeabrook] #2630444 10/04/11 01:34 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: JJSeabrook

I used to use the pruners, and that is a great way to cut that bone at the anus. Now I just trim around the anus from the outside first and put a zip tie on the end of the anus to keep it closed up...no way for any poop to come out that way and it's fast. Then just pull it through. Otherwise I do it just as you do. Just a matter of preference. Each way works.

JJ

I have been using tree loppers for 22 yrs now. Deer is laying on the ground. I use a gut hook to rip the deer to the brisket and then a knife to rip the brisket open. I use the loppers to split the pelvis bone then stand (from the rear of the deer) and put a foot on each leg of the deer. Grab the tail and yank real hard upward in one swift motion and this will crack the pelvis wide open and then you can cut the wind pipe and grab hold and pull. Cut the vitals away from the ribs as you pull. Cut the diaphram and keep pulling towards the pelvis and pull everything out the rear of the deer onto the ground. Trim around the anus and you are done. Grab both front legs and lift the deer upwards to drain any blood in the cavity out the rearend. I have cleaned over 1,000 WT with this method and once you have done a time or two you can clean a doe or small buck in about a minute or two.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Field Dressing Deer [Re: jdk1985] #2630608 10/04/11 02:14 AM
T
twinbubba Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: jdk1985
... how about any tips on how to snap the pelvis, to finish removing the intestines / anus. Are there any tricks other than pulling out a saw?

Don't know if it is the best way but here is how I do it. I split the skin to expose the center of the pelvis then I take my camp ax and put the tip of the cutting edge on the top center of the pelvis and whack the head of the ax with a 5 lb sledge. Reposition the tip of the cutting edge and whack the head of the ax again and again until I have split the entire pelvis. Works great for me. This technique works best if the deer is hanging from it's hind legs but I have done it with the deer laying on it's back on the ground thd this works also.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, 09 Yamaha Rhino 450 Camo,
Re: Field Dressing Deer [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #2630640 10/04/11 02:23 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
Pelvis...... cordless recipro saw.
The old reciprocating saw trick is what we use also,works great.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Field Dressing Deer [Re: Erathkid] #2630672 10/04/11 02:34 AM
BuckRage Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
small, they ratchet, work great!

[Linked Image]
Re: Field Dressing Deer [Re: stxranchman] #2630679 10/04/11 02:35 AM
J
JJSeabrook Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: JJSeabrook

JJ

I have been using tree loppers for 22 yrs now. Deer is laying on the ground. I use a gut hook to rip the deer to the brisket and then a knife to rip the brisket open. I use the loppers to split the pelvis bone then stand (from the rear of the deer) and put a foot on each leg of the deer. Grab the tail and yank real hard upward in one swift motion and this will crack the pelvis wide open and then you can cut the wind pipe and grab hold and pull. Cut the vitals away from the ribs as you pull. Cut the diaphram and keep pulling towards the pelvis and pull everything out the rear of the deer onto the ground. Trim around the anus and you are done. Grab both front legs and lift the deer upwards to drain any blood in the cavity out the rearend. I have cleaned over 1,000 WT with this method and once you have done a time or two you can clean a doe or small buck in about a minute or two.

Loppers don't really even have to be anything big...rose loppers will work, if you want to do it that way. That pelvic bone isn't that tough.

Personally, I got to like cutting around the anus, using the zip tie, and pulling that inside before dumping the guts. Just seems cleaner to me, but that's just a personal preference. You note that I posted that's the way I clean mine before that video was posting showing the guy doing it that way. It's MY preferred method, and I've done it both ways. Doesn't mean it's the right method, but still the way I prefer.

Regarding the latex gloves, I also use them. Keeps the blood off my beer can and cigarettes. LOL

JJ

Re: Field Dressing Deer [Re: BuckRage] #2630683 10/04/11 02:36 AM
J
JJSeabrook Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: BuckRage
small, they ratchet, work great!

That'll do it for sure!

JJ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3