Page 1 of 2 1 2
I must be getting soft hearted #262876 11/27/07 10:08 PM
D
DCS Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Man, I must getting soft hearted in my old age (55). This year we have seen deer 112 times in 8 days of hunting. We have only harvested 2. It seems that everytime we see a deer it was a small yearling or it was a doe with her yearling or it was a young buck or it was just something that made us not want to shoot it. Not to even mention "Tripod" an middle aged doe with only three legs. That thing has gotten to be a pet over the years. Nobody wants to shoot it because we all feel sorry for her. So, what's going? Do you lose the "killer" instinct with age?

Re: I must be getting soft hearted [Re: DCS] #262877 11/27/07 10:11 PM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
no, I think you are just enjoying your time in the field

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: I must be getting soft hearted [Re: TEXASLEFTY] #262878 11/27/07 10:18 PM
H
HicoHunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
ditto!!!

Re: I must be getting soft hearted [Re: DCS] #262879 11/27/07 10:33 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Nothing soft hearted about it.

Don't take what I am saying wrong, but the problem is that you are hunting a place that has way too many deer.

As a result there is no hurry to shoot one.

As I pay more attention to peoples posts and attitudes around this site, I have concluded that there are people on here, that really do not realize or understand that many of us, either are not able to afford a place to hunt, or the places we hunt, if we see one deer out of 3 to 5 trips we are damn lucky.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is great when a person has access to a place where they can pick and choose.

I also think it would be nice when those people go to respond to someone on here about what deer to kill or when to kill does, or whatever their question may be, to stop and remember that many folks around the state are having a hard time seeing a deer on the place they hunt period.

As I said, I don't believe it is soft hearted at all. AJMO.

Re: I must be getting soft hearted [Re: DCS] #262880 11/27/07 10:44 PM
UtopiaTexasHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I think the label Sportsman belongs to you. Have fun and enjoy God's creations.

I have spent many hours doing just that. I even spend time in my stands in the spring, just admiring everything around me, and taking a good look at my land and the canyons that surround it.

"Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway!"

"Don't steal. The government hates competition"

Re: I must be getting soft hearted [Re: UtopiaTexasHunter] #262881 11/27/07 10:49 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Okay,
Quote:

I think the label Sportsman belongs to you.

does that mean that those of us that are not able to do that, or won't do that and will kill the first legal deer we see or will fill all of our tags if we get the opportunities are not Sportsmen ?????

Re: I must be getting soft hearted [Re: Crazyhorse] #262882 11/27/07 10:51 PM
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Quote:

Okay,
Quote:

does that mean that those of us that are not able to do that, or won't do that and will kill the first legal deer we see or will fill all of our tags if we get the opportunities are not Sportsmen ?????

That's not what I said, or implied my friend. There are plenty of Sportsmen on THF, and I would consider you to be one of them

Re: I must be getting soft hearted [Re: Crazyhorse] #262883 11/27/07 10:52 PM
B
BamaTexan Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Quote:

Okay,
Quote:

I feel the same way. But anyways be thankful you have the opportunity. Many on here would die for that. I just love being in the outdoors and seeing the sights and hearing the sounds.

Re: I must be getting soft hearted [Re: Crazyhorse] #262884 11/27/07 10:58 PM
D
DCS Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Quote:

Nothing soft hearted about it.

Don't take what I am saying wrong, but the problem is that you are hunting a place that has way too many deer.

As a result there is no hurry to shoot one..

I know what you mean about hunting places that don't have that many deer. I have hunted those places too and believe me when a deer showed up, it was a big deal. A lot of those 112 deer sightings were a lot of times the same animals.

Re: I must be getting soft hearted [Re: DCS] #262885 11/27/07 11:06 PM
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Quote:

I know what you mean about hunting places that don't have that many deer. I have hunted those places too and believe me when a deer showed up, it was a big deal. A lot of those 112 deer sightings were a lot of times the same animals.

I'm blessed to have a little of each, my Bandera County land doesn't have a ton of deer, but the scenery is awesome.

Now the land in Junction has plenty. We have counted 50+ deer many times out in the pasture, and some of those times were in the middle of the afternoon.

Re: I must be getting soft hearted [Re: UtopiaTexasHunter] #262886 11/27/07 11:08 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Granted, you did not mean to post it the way it comes across, but it does come across that way.

As I said in my earlier post, I think it is great when a person is in the situation where they can pick and choose.

It must be a really unique experience.

But when I read a comment calling that person a sportsman in bold print, simply because of the situation they are in, that makes me wonder how people view me because I may be in a situation where if I am gonna have deer meat, I have to kill any legal deer I see in a season.

See what I am getting at?

I think too many times on this site, people make their posts and responses, without thinking that due to the size of the state and the variations in deer densities state wide, that not everyone has access to the same numbers or quality of deer that the poster or responder may have.

That does not only apply to this post, but those concerning aging and scoring a buck. There are probably people on this forum that have not shot a buck off their lease in 2 or 3 years, maybe more, and it isn't because they are practicing herd management, it is because they either don't ever see one or in the case of the AR counties, they never see one that is legal.

Wasn't trying to call you out, but the statement does create a doubt.

Also just so you and some of the other folks especially those that haven't been on here as long as you have been, will know and understand, in the past we have had members that would post that other members were not sportsman and had no ethics if they killed any legal deer except does.

If it was a buck and was not at least 120 B&C or above, they would call you every kind of low life they could think of.

Sometimes, some folks that were not here during some of those debates will post something that will push a button with those that were involved.

Re: I must be getting soft hearted [Re: Crazyhorse] #262887 11/27/07 11:23 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Just because he sees alot of deer does not mean he HAS to be choosy. He could still kill the first thing he saw, no matter what it is. BUT, since he doesn't, I think that does make him a good sportsman and I think that is kinda what Utopia meant.

Re: I must be getting soft hearted [Re: cbump] #262888 11/27/07 11:26 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
And, why would he need to think of this-"I think too many times on this site, people make their posts and responses, without thinking that due to the size of the state and the variations in deer densities state wide, that not everyone has access to the same numbers or quality of deer that the poster or responder may have." When he was specifically replying to one person about their particular situation. Not everybody on this site.

Re: I must be getting soft hearted [Re: cbump] #262889 11/27/07 11:34 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
What I was getting at happened before you ever made your first post. I have no trouble with UTH what so ever. The gist of it is, there were incidents that happened on here in the past that you were not involved in, that some of us were and some of us still remember.

If you will stop a minute before passing judgement on me and what I posted, and go look at Lord_of_the_Bows first post and the reception he got, you might understand a little better that as I said in my response to UTH there are certain words and phrases that when they are used, push a button.

Now, if you can tell me that there are NOT certain things that people can say or do, whether they MEAN TO OR NOT, that do not put you on either the offensive or the defensive, then you are a much better man than I am Gunga Dihn.

Re: I must be getting soft hearted [Re: cbump] #262890 11/27/07 11:36 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
Some of us "Old Farts" have been through years of no deer. Back in the early-sixties, there weren't that many deer in our area here in NE Texas. If you saw a couple of deer in a weekend you were fortunate.

That experience made us work alot harder for the deer, and when we saw one, we shot it, thankful that we finally got a chance at one that season.

Then, after a few years, you have that work ethic that you've grown accustomed to, and carried over when the deer population exploded. It really became easy to kill any deer, so you went further - getting out a pistol or a bow, making it more challenging.

Now, after all these years, you're comfortable just being out there, despite the outcome - each hunt is successful. Yes, it could still be a "sport" to you because you are in competition with nature. But more importantly, it has become a passion, where your time in the field has become a time spent enjoying life.

If that's soft-hearted, then so be it.

Re: I must be getting soft hearted [Re: Crazyhorse] #262891 11/27/07 11:43 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

What I was getting at happened before you ever made your first post. I have no trouble with UTH what so ever. The gist of it is, there were incidents that happened on here in the past that you were not involved in, that some of us were and some of us still remember.

If you will stop a minute before passing judgement on me and what I posted, and go look at Lord_of_the_Bows first post and the reception he got, you might understand a little better that as I said in my response to UTH there are certain words and phrases that when they are used, push a button.

Now, if you can tell me that there are NOT certain things that people can say or do, whether they MEAN TO OR NOT, that do not put you on either the offensive or the defensive, then you are a much better man than I am Gunga Dihn.

First, no one passed judgement on you, I simply stated my opinion, just like you ALWAYS do. Second, whatever happened in the past, is just that, THE PAST. Maybe don't be so sensitive to what people say, and then buttons won't get pushed. Especially, when they aren't even talking to you.

Re: I must be getting soft hearted [Re: cbump] #262892 11/28/07 12:03 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Maybe you ought to worry about letting me be me, and you take care of yourself.

I do not try to tell you how to act or respond to others, I expect the same courtesey from you.

Do you have a problem with that?

Seems to me like you are having more of a problem with what was said than UTH, DCS, or myself.

I am thru dealing with you on this one.

Last edited by crazyhorseconsulting; 11/28/07 12:21 AM.
Re: I must be getting soft hearted [Re: Crazyhorse] #262893 11/28/07 12:26 AM
L
Letsgo Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
DCS, I am 37 and feel the same way you do about not having to shoot a deer to have a successful hunt. I have passed on probably 50 does, several 8 pts and a 10 point.

Many people complain about not seeing many deer but I always wonder if it is because they are shooting everything that moves. Several years ago we were lucky to see a deer or two on an entire weekend hunt. We stopped shooting everything that moves and now have plenty of deer. Many people feel that due to the high prices of deer leases they must fill their tags to justify the expense. I only take one deer a year (usually a doe) and am more than happy with the experience.

Re: I must be getting soft hearted [Re: DCS] #262894 11/28/07 12:42 AM
C
Cool_Hand Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I don't know!! Maybe I'm all alone in this way of thinking. I know it happens to all of us at one time or another but it seems that when I got off my lease in Marble Falls about 3 years ago to get closer to our ranch and the business, I lost the urge to pull the trigger. Now, that might seem sad to a lot of you but I now get the enjoyment of celebrating in the kills on our place. Yes, I still am a little envious of some of the wall hangers that are brought in but then I get to thinking about all the ramifications that go along with the kill. When you're in the zone you don't mind all the ramifications but now it seems like a chore. So, at age 65 I'm content with the pix I get to post here on the forum of the kills on the T X ranch and I still get to be part of the fellowship and hoop-la that is a huge part of hunting. My2cents.

Benny
Promise Ranch
Re: I must be getting soft hearted [Re: Crazyhorse] #262895 11/28/07 01:49 AM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

I do not try to tell you how to act or respond to others, I expect the same courtesey from you.

Seems to me like you are having more of a problem with what was said than UTH, DCS, or myself.

I knew this was coming. The famous, heated response from CHC. No, I don't have a problem. I don't have a problem with anything said on this thread. Know why? Because I am not sensitive to what EVERYONE says to me. Now, please put down the beer because, no doubt, you have had 1 too many tonight.

Re: I must be getting soft hearted [Re: cbump] #262896 11/28/07 03:17 AM
Rwuensch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Quote:

Quote:

I knew this was coming. The famous, heated response from CHC. No, I don't have a problem. I don't have a problem with anything said on this thread. Know why? Because I am not sensitive to what EVERYONE says to me. Now, please put down the beer because, no doubt, you have had 1 too many tonight.

Second that!

We have enough youth. How about a fountain of "smart"?
Re: I must be getting soft hearted [Re: Rwuensch] #262897 11/28/07 09:11 AM
F
fwhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Nothing wrong with sitting back and enjoying the scenery there DCS. I envy you. We have gone from lease to lease looking for a good deal. The one we have been on for the last 6 years was raped by poachers. First year out of 4 of us we saw only 2 doe. Kept letting them walk and now 6 years later we are starting to see deer almost every time we go out there and some extremely nice bucks. We have only taken 3 deer off the place but many many hogs to keep the freezer full. I fear the poachers are making their way back in though.

To me personally hunting isn't all about the harvest. It's that time you get to sit out there and enjoy all that is around you and have no worries. If you do get to harvest something that is just a bonus.

Re: I must be getting soft hearted [Re: fwhunter] #262898 11/28/07 10:22 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
It all depends on your goals. Some of us are meat hunters and others are deer watchers. Both generally enjoy the outdoors and the awe of a beautiful sunset. If I were a day lease hunter, I would have a different set of goals than I would if I were on a long term lease. If I considered venison a part of my diet, I would fill the freezer.

I don't have to kill anything to enjoy hunting. However, I gotta catch something to enjoy fishing.

Most of the racks I see here are coming from mesquite country. For those of us in thick oak country, hunting is slow this year. However, I still want to go.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: I must be getting soft hearted [Re: Dave Davidson] #262899 11/28/07 01:48 PM
D
deuce12 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Crazyhorse are you somekind of game biologist or therapist or something

Re: I must be getting soft hearted [Re: Dave Davidson] #262900 11/28/07 01:58 PM
Rwuensch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Quote:

I don't have to kill anything to enjoy hunting.

I totally agree! I had one of my best times in the stand 2 weeks ago watching two small bucks wrestle and rattle horns. It was a very good day, wish I had my camera.

We have enough youth. How about a fountain of "smart"?
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide